Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

o
HAVE: Ft Worth Autumn Swap-October 20

Posted by sylviatexas z8a Tx (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 13, 07 at 19:14

I know it's early, but the San Antonio people are already revving up & rooting cuttings, so...

The moon goes into the first quarter (on the increase) on the 19th, so the 20th & 21st should be good days to plant stuff other than root crops!

We'll meet at Trinity Park, just north of I-30 across the street from the Botanic Gardens/Japanese Gardens.

Has anyone rooted roses using the technique Venessa demonstrated at the Spring Swap?

& how many are you bringing to trade???

I rooted a couple, already gave them to friends, but I'm really enthused that the technique works so well;
I may do some more if I don't roast/bake/broil/fry first!

If anyone knows of a scheduling conflict, like if the park will be hosting some giant event that Saturday, PLEASE post here, & we'll pick another day.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: HAVE: Ft Worth Autumn Swap-October 20

Sounds good to me!! I plan on having a garage/plant sale on the 6th or 13th, but will still have some goodies. YES, the Vanessa method does work!
Mitch, will Oct. be a good time to dig daylilies and iris?
Weldon

o

Sounds good to me too. What month are you thinking of?

I'm looking for mostly named daylilies.

Have to get a list together of what I can bring but I know I'll have rock rose, Brazilian rock rose, some taro the edible kind.

o

DUH, Read barb LOL

o

Sounds good to me.

I tried the rose rooting on a wild rose we found rambling on a fence - to my surprise, it worked!

We also have over a dozen well rooted redbuds - about a foot or more tall. And the red buckeye have seed pods - anyone want one?

Dorothy

o

I'll have a ton of seeds - I'll have to look around and see what I can root between now and then. My offerings will probably be mostly limited to things like artemesia and the like - you know, those things you can barely PREVENT from rooting! But I'll be there and it will be great fun even if I can't bring much that's fancy!

o

I'll be there too. I hope we have nice weather for it. I'll probably have mostly seeds. I had no luck at all rooting rose cuttings, although I did get several using the layering method out in the garden. But I won't be potting them up until Spring. Cheryl

o

I'm wondering if the "Vanessa Method" of rooting roses will work with coral honeysuckle, &, if so, when to take cuttings.

I have a huge gorgeous coral honeysuckle (bought it several years ago in a 4" pot for $2.49!) that I'd like to share, but I never have tried to root any.

I'm thinking this heat may not be the best time...

& I'm pretty sure I'll still have some Conestoga cannas;
they're lemon yellow, about 6' tall.

I got a dozen in a lunch bag at the Neil Sperry show many years ago, &, although I do love them, I'm finally having to acknowledge that they're taking over the universe here:

They're at least 3 or 4 deep from the front corner of the house to the back corner!

o

I'd like to come. I have crinum lilies.

o

Yay!

Crinums are wonderful!

o

Hey Sylvia....Would you be interested in some plumeria in trade for some irises?

Barb

o

Just noticed today that I also have firecracker plant that has taken root where it touched ground.

o

I have 2 rooted cuttings off a huge black taro that is trying to take over our small pond. Anybody interested?

Dorothy

o

oops, haven't checked in lately...

Barb I'll bring you all the irises you want!
Plumeria sounds wonderful.

If anyone else needs irises, I have a bunch that need to be divided.

I may have a bunch of Lucky Lemon Cream lantana;
I just potted up a bunch from tiny pots to gallon pots, & I'm eying the landscape & thinking, even being the greedy lantana hog that I am, I can't possibly turn up enough soil to plant them all in the ground.

(Lucky Lemon is more "lemonade" than lemon yellow in color.)

o

Hubby and I will be there. Everyone up for some more grilled hot dogs, chips, etc? And, it give DH something to do. Would be happy to do it again. It was so much fun at the spring swap. Sylvia - if you have a spare lantana, I would love to have one. Ambersas - I could use a taro in our pond. I'll have to see what I have sprouting up.

o

Hey, Miss Barefoot Girl!

Yes, yes, yes, bring hubs & the famous grill!

& of course I have a spare lantana!

I just got the last one into a gallon-sized pot, maybe that'll hold it til October 20!

o

Have grill will travel lol. I also have tons of ruella and mexican petunia if anyone wants some.

o

I would love to have a black taro. I have some Arc n Ciel too if anyone wants any & a yellow water lily I think is Texas Dawn. It gets big.

o

I think I'll take back my offer of water lilies. I hope to have them all sunk into the pond by late October. But I'll add some confetti lantana to the plants I can bring.

o

Is confetti lantana the pink & yellow kind?

If so, y'all need to jump on this:

a lady gave me some big plants this spring, just dug 'em out of the flowerbed bareroot.

I brought them home & put them in buckets for...
a week maybe?

stuck them in unamended soil on the west side, right in the brutal sun, watered them about twice.

I planted 4 & lost 1 (& it was questionable to start with; it was just 1 twiggy stick with a tiny bit of root), & they leafed out & bloomed about 4 weeks later.

& they're still going!

& the butterflies do love them.

o

Yes, pink & yellow with some other colors thrown in I think.

I stuck some in the ground in June & they are pretty big now but I still think I can dig them up if I can get the fire ants killed off around them.

o
Ft Worth Autumn Swap-October 20

Put me down for a couple of those confetti lantanas. I used to have a huge one, but I had to move it last fall and it croaked on me. I have a couple of Gala apple trees. Anybody interested. They are about 6 months old and about 30" tall. Cheryl

o

Hey Y'all,
I have been in Maine all summer with my mom. I was planning on bringing her home with me but instead I was priviledged to spend her last days with her. I just got home a week ago & if it wasn't for Donna taking care of my plants along with hers I wouldn't even have a garden anymore.

Saying that I don't think that I really have much from my garden to bring, however I will have a few of an heirloom white iris that I am the 7th generation in my family to have them passed down to. It's not really showy as the blooms are on the smaller side then the hybrids now days are, but they are hardy. They have lived in cultivated gardens & even up by the side of the road where they plow the snow with salt. Silvia, Like your back hoe irises they have a irridecsant glow to them also.
I also had some yellow daylillies dug up but am afraid that they might have dug them to shallow so they may not make it. but If your willing to try I will share some.
When I got home I noticed that my Magnolia Gem has some red jewell looking seeds, I don't know if they will propogate but If ya want to try then I'll bring some of them too (I planted the tree about 5 to 6 yrs ago & this is the first seeding).
Well it's good to be back home, now to get rested up for the swap
Are we doing the prize drawing again this fall?
I would love to try some confetti Lantana if you still have some to share

Debbie

o

Deb - sorry to hear about your Mom. At least you were able to spend some time with her.

Marti8 - if you have a spare confetti lantana I would love to have one. I'm trying to get lantanas going in the front flower bed and the one I've seen at garden center don't look very good right now.

I also lucked into a white Texas Star Hibiscus and have been collecting seeds from it if anyone is interested in trying them.

o

Deb, I'm so sorry you lost your mom.

hadn't thought about prizes yet...

but it was fun, wasn't it?

Let's do it again!

don't know what I can bring yet;

anybody got any ideas?

o
RE: HAVE: Ft Worth Autumn Swap

Will any of our daylily buffs be bringing some to the swap?

My friend Vi (remember her from the Spring swap?) needs daylilies (in colors other than my "classic" orange, snork!)

o

Sylvia, I got your message over in the soil forum and yes I would love to have a start of comfrey!

I still don't have a lot of stuff to trade! Looks like I will have to bribe you all with food:-) Maybe I could work out trades ahead of time???

I have a roll of raffle tickets, I could bring them for the prize drawing.

I can't wait to come! My first official plant swap! I had so much fun at the informal get together that I can only imagine what this one is going to be like;-)

o

Deb, I'm so sorry about the loss of your Mom. I was by my fathers side when he slipped away from us 2 years ago and it was a great comfort to have been there to say I love you and goodbye.

Sylvia, I've got a couple things I would like to bring for door prizes.

No takers on these little Gala apple trees? Ya'll please don't make me take them back home with me now.

Cheryl

o

Cheryl, if Gala apple trees will grow here, I'm game!

I have an apple tree, sent to me probably 12 years or so ago by the Arbor Day Foundation (you know, "10 little trees for your $15 membership"? & they send you 6" tall sticks of trees that grow well *in other places* & a pamphlet, & they put you on their mailing list to ask for more money?)

Anyway, it makes apples the size of chinaberries, & they always shrivel up & fall off in the heat of the summer...but the tree has the most unusual, beautiful bark.

Since I know it isn't a well-adapted tree, I know it'll probably be a goner in the not-tooo-distant future...

Rebecca, I'll bring the comfrey for sure.

& it's funny you mention food:
I'm on a mission to "get rid of the plants in pots" & to "not get any more plants until I have the space for them picked out & prepared", so I've been thinking about making a request for non-plant things:
double-chocolate brownies, homemade bread, movie tickets, pet supplies (even food or litter), books (not gardening books, I'm pretty sure I've read 'em all!), hats/gloves/scarves, uh, can't think of anything else I use.

I pretty much eat but don't cook, have pets but don't cook for them either, & love warm knitted & crocheted things but don't knit or crochet either!

Books on tape are good too; I love books on tape.

o

I do coupons, alot. Sometimes I get lucky and score some awesome price(or free) dog food/treats/cat food etc.

I will be happy to trade my pet food scores for plants:-)

o

cool!

o
RE: Want:ed: trees

just talked to my brother Martin (the one whose son & grandson were killed in the car accident on Labor Day).

He has some acreage near Terrell....& it's *nekkid*!

*acreage* my darlins!

There are 2 small ponds with trees around the rims, but the rest is an old pasture.

Tree seedlings would be most welcome.

I'll trade whatever I can for them.

Right now, it looks like I have Lucky Lemon Lantana (flowers really are the color of lemonade), maybe a couple of rooted baby roses, irises, Kwanzo daylilies (good for full-sun areas with no extra water), yellow-flowering kolanchoe, maybe some wisteria has rooted, will have to look in the daytime.

remember how we used to laugh at the old folks for going to bed early on Friday night?

Karma will get you my friends, karma will get you.

'night, all.

o

I need to thin my "landscape" irises & my Kwanzo daylilies;
please let me know if you can use some.

I'll bring them if anyone wants them, otherwise I can just freecycle them.

o

Thanks for your condolences. I seem to find myself in a deep depression right now - don't have any desire to leave the house etc & the durn mosquito's are keeping me out of the garden too. I'm sure some have been in my situation. I only go out when I have to. I know that God, time & antidepressants will pull me out of my sadness eventually.

I wish we had a swap to go to just to try & get some excitement going in me. October will suffice & maybe by then I won't be so melancholy.

Happy Skies are ahead of me
Debbie

o

Deb, I'm sorry for your loss - I'm sure your presence made her passing much better. My Dad sometimes days, we can't always change situations, but we can take comfort from knowing that things were better because we were THERE.

Sylvia, I'm so sorry for your family! I didn't know! I hope your brother has people with him. I wish I had some trees to give him!

Speaking of trees, do the Gala apples grow well here? That would be really cool, having our own apple tree! Cameron would enjoy that, the little fruit bat ... Same with redbud seedlings and lantana and now you people have me wanting more PLANTS!

Nobody needs lirope, do they? :-P

o

I have three apple trees in my yard and they all bear fruit. Course the colder the winter the better the apple crop, because they do like a good freeze. I also have two pear trees which are falling over right now because of the size of the pears this year. I have two apricot trees that so far haven't done anything except look very pretty, so I'm thinking they may need more cold winters than we get here. My lone peach tree was so loaded with fruit this year we had to prop up the branches with 2x4's, selectively pick early fruit, and we still lost three large branches off the South side of the tree.

I have native pecan trees coming up all over the place and I ususally just yank them out, but if anyone wants some of them, I could pot up a few. They're a pain to put in pots because a 12" tree has a 15" tap root. But these are very hardy trees with delicious nuts. I only have one in a pot now, but, Sylvia if your brother could use a few I would be happy to bring them.

As far as those trees that bear tiny fruit that falls off the tree, that sounds like it might be an ornamental variety. Or it could have been a fluke, a genetic throwback which sometimes happens.

I have a bunch of rock rose saplings too. These little guys are hardy through the winter here but the second year shrub tends to have weak, brittle wood. I have some seed and they are guaranteed to grow, every single, blasted last one of them! They make a pretty hedge though with bright pink flowers every day. I usually grow them as an annual and just pull them out at the end of the season. They get to be about 3-4' tall.

Cheryl

o

Yes, Cheryl, yes!

Pecan trees are one good reason to live in Texas!

Martin told me the other day that he wants fast-growing trees, because he wants to see them mature.

& I advised him to plant fast-growing + slower-growing kinds, the reason being that when your 15-year trees like mimosa & such come to the end of their life cycle, your estate trees will be big enough to start filling in the gaps.

I also told him to get a rope & tie 2 stakes into it, 20' apart, & zigzag back & forth with it to mark places to plant the trees so that they'll all have plenty of room, & then to loosen the soil & add some good stuff to get the seedlings started.

but now I think he needs to use a 10' spacing.

A re-forestation thread on another forum recommends planting trees twice as thick as you want, because you're going to lose some of them, & you don't know which ones.

o

I've heard that chinese tallow trees are pretty good for fast-growing trees, at least as far as fast-growing trees go. (Though they do send up babies, don't they?) At least, Neil Sperry recommends them.

o

You can't plant them if you're in the Houston area or near a wetland because they're very invasive there, but I have several, & they're the only things that would grow here at first.

They provide good shade quickly, they give a little relief from the brutal western sun, & they're a place for me & the birds to sit & look around, so I like them fine.

Yes, they do send up babies, & they self-seed as well, but they aren't hard to pull out or mow down.

I wouldn't plant one if I lived near a lake or pond or creek or if I had a smallish lot (no room for anything else!)

o

I haven't had much time to go through everything I will be bring to the swap and right now I'm looking for bee balm and summer phlox. Have red hardy amaryllis, double red hibiscus not sure what else I'll be bring.

o

Just keeping my hat in the ring. I am planning on being there. Hopefully will survive the Alzheimers walk that a.m. and will come on over to the swap. Any sponsers??? (truly, if interested, send e-mail and I'll reveal a special gift for sponsors of $10 or more). I am having a garage/plant sale on Oct. 12-13. Among the plants(only 2or 3 of some):
two 6- 7 ft lacebark elms; crepe myrtles=2 white, 4 pink; 1 carolina jasmine;several datura-dble white; aloe vera; society garlic; bee balm; rudbeckia triloba; rubellia (dwf Mex. petunia) purple and white; 1 red table grape; 2 two gal. comfrey;rudbeckia hirta; puple coneflower; coleus; hardy hibiscus; Mex. hydrangea; blue mist; hollyhock-sngl burgandy;rosemary; 1 hardy hibiscus Lord Baltimore and two GIANT pink crinum (thanks to Sylvia); Persian lily; dutch iris; and ROSES!!! better put up another list another day to list them all-- approx. 50 OGR's to modern- 1 & 3 gal pots. Hoping most will sell, but realistically, they wont.
Weldon

o

what else besides plants could people "swap"? i'd love to come but have no plants to swap with. I can cook and i've got lots of veggie seeds!

o

Yay tessa!

I my own self am always more than happy (& I bet lots of others would be, too) to trade for homemade bread(s), double dark chocolate brownies, cookies, maybe things that can be frozen.

At the spring swap, I got some wonderful brownies, pumpkin bread, & sumpn else, I forget what, & at our mid-summer "garden fix" get-together, someone brought homemade cookies!

(& come even if your oven blows up & you don't have a thing;
you won't go home empty-handed!)

o
RE: HAVE: Ft Worth Swap-October 20

& you can bring other garden-related items to trade:

gloves
vermiculite/perlite
potting soil
mulch
stepping stones
edging
books
yard art or crafts
(One trader made the cutest garden aprons!)
bird feeders
wind chimes

etc

o

Oh cool!!! i'll try my darnest to make it. there's one going on in Allen Oct. 13, but my kid leaves for California that day (moving, so sad) so i prob. can't make that one. oh my gosh! so excited!!!! -jenn

o

tessa, I second Sylvia's ideas. I have so many plants and so little room that I can't possibly swap for that many plants.
BTW, I can bring spicy crackers and cheese, if we need snack
stuff. Have picked up a sponsor for the Alzheimer walk and working on getting more. I may need volunteers to help me unload when I get to the swap after that walk---revise that, I may need help getting out of the car!!!
Looking fwd to seeing everyone.

Weldon

o

I have some friends I told about this and they were interested in coming, even though they're not on GardenWeb. That's ok, right? And how do we feel on kids? Obviously not crazy toddlers that run around like mad (because of the street - which means MY kid is definitely staying home!) but what about older kids and babies?

o

Sprouts of all kinds are welcome!

There're always some children & some spouses at the swap.

One good thing about having it at Trinity Park is that there are swings & whatnot.

Sometimes we're able to meet past the pavillion, which is way way back from the street, but last autumn the area was blocked off (construction? getting ready for a holiday hoo-hah? can't remember), & we did have to meet closer to the street.

o

Okay, I'm getting excited now. Hubby and I will bring hot dogs, buns and condiments and soft drinks and water. Weldon, please bring some of those wonderful crackers and I promise to help you out of the car when you arrive :) I'm also always happy to help anybody who needs it to unload, etc.

o

Hey, Weldon, why don't you post a separate thread about the Alzheimer's Walk?

I bet lots more people would see it on its own thread.

BTW, does "$10 pledge" mean $10 total?

signed,

(poor hardworking single woman) sylvia

o

Sylvia, are we going to start at about the regular time, 11'ish? I have to work for a couple hours in the morning, but I don't want to miss anything. I'm potting up pecan trees for your bro. Cheryl

o

I always try to get there around 10, set up, etc.

A lot of people show up during that first hour, but most come in a little later, & they keep flocking in all during lunch;

It seems like the swaps have been going til about 2:00, so you have plenty of time, (& you know you'll have plenty of plants to load up with!)

I've put together a prize for the drawing, but I don't know what to call it.

It's a hybrid, part first-aid kit (alcohol, baking soda for stings, cortizone cream for itches, aspirin, etc), part handy-in-the-garden-help-for-your-body kit (oatmeal lotion, bar of soap, may add something else if I think of it).

It's contained in a bright orange plastic thing with handles so it's easy to see, easy to carry, easy to hose off.

& I found a hedgehog shoe-scraper brush thing, forget what you call that, too.

(If it had a blade, I know it would be a boot scraper, but this has a brush.)

o

I'm putting together something for a prize too, just a few nice garden-oriented items that I found. And by the way, the lady who gave away the garden aprons at the Spring swap, I LOVE mine, I wear it all the time. I even sleep in it, not really, but I do use it a lot.

Hey, I saw something at a thrift store on the base today that I was thinking about picking up, garden trugs. They were little wooden boxes with wooden handles. They were kinda cute, but sorta heavy, so I didn't get them. But they didn't cost very much so I might go back if anyone is interested in somthing like that. Be cute for four of five small plastic pots of herbs on a window sill.

Well, I would tell my boss that I had prior plans for that day, but I think I'm getting some kind of award for longevity that morning, so I'm thinking I should show up. Anyway, if they hurry up with that thing, maybe I can make it over to Forest Park by 11:30 or so. Just save me some food cause I'll be hungry. :-0 Cheryl

o

Yes, Sylvia that's $10 or more and I'll get you a set of cards. Watch for another post to see pictures of the cards.

Weldon

o

Deb, I can confirm that it will get better with time, sometimes it helps to push yourself out the door, even if it's for 30 minutes at a time. I became depressed when my grandmother past away, she was more like a mom to me having raised me from the age 14. I can't even explain why it hit me so hard like it did cause we knew she was bad off and we even wanted her to be relieved of her pain. Through out our life we have trying times and there have been many of us on here going through our own woes. We do understand and are happy to be there for you.
Now I forgot what else I was going to tell y'all about the swap OH Yeah, I have a set of new Tin candle holders I can bring for the prize drawing, thought I would use them and haven't so I'm going to pass them on to someone that may get use out of them.

I will most likely make it there around 10:30 or so.

It's getting closer :)

o

Can anyone use Lamb's Ears?

I love these things, but I've come into a bunch of them, already in pots ready to set out, & I'm about out of space for them to take over.

& cannas.

I have quite a few lemon yellow Conestogas (about 6' tall) & a bunch of Canna Indica Indian Shot, coral colored species type flowers (good for hummers) about 6'to 7' tall; they go great with coral honeysuckle.

o

Thanks for the kind words about the aprons. . . I use mine all the time too. I'm thinking of making up some more - anyone interested? How about a sort of reverse swap - if you'll take one of our redbud babies, I'll give you an apron??

We've been redoing our pond setup, so I can use pond and bog plants. Any available?

And, I think I mentioned earlier that I have a couple of black taro plants. Those things want to take over the world!
Dorothy

Hey! isn't it supposed to be a little cooler now?

o

Dorothy-

I'll be happy to take all the redbuds you can spare, & if you have enough black taro, I'd love to try it.

I have some bog plants, don't know exactly what they are:

I think one is an umbrella something, & the other has arrowhead-shaped leaves with spikey purple flowers sort of like larkspur only smaller, & there're also a bunch of purple-flowering Louisiana iris that I can dig up.

Would any/all of those work?

o

Sylvia - put me down for lamb's ear and if I have time (hopefully) I'll make you some nice zucchini bread.

o

I'll take as many redbuds as you want to push on me! Mmm, I love redbuds ... Need boxwoods?

o

Okey-dokey, you're on the list for lamb's ear.

I just found out, to my amazement, that Ruellia/Mexican Petunia is a perennial!

All these years I thought it was an annual.

No wonder I have a zillion.

Anyone want some tall purple Mexican Petunia?

I have plants, & I can probably find some seeds.

o

LOL Syliva about the tall purple Mexican Petunia, I started out with a very small helping last year and this year YIKES they've taken over. I like the shorter pink ones.

Right now I'm not able to dig a lot but I have a very pretty double red hibiscus in need of a home it is not hardy has to come inside for winter.
I also have one more plumeria to trade
I've got Syliva down for one plumeria for a few irises.

I'd love to have some dwarf coral canna's if anyone has some, they need to be the dwarf ones to go with the bed I have done up.

o

I just found this site , can newbies come to the swap too? I don't have much of anything to trade yet Always had a green thumb and finally getting to indulge in playing with plants. I'm SW of Ft Worth towards Granbury

o

I'll be presumptuous enough to speak for the group when I say that yes, newbies are always welcome, because 1) we were all at one time newbies and 2) we gardening folk love other gardeners! You'll go home with new plants even if you don't bring anything. Because I'm not hauling this stuff back home with me!

Barb, what kind of plumeria do you have? I haven't had one before but they look pretty. And I can always use another hibiscus bopping around! The doubles are so neat.

o

Julie, do you have some dwarf coral cannas for trade?

Winddancing, of course your welcome to come. Those that don't have any plants to trade bring food, drinks, plates, forks, spoons, cups. There are those in need of thing's like in Syliva's post above,
gloves
vermiculite/perlite
potting soil
mulch
stepping stones
edging
books
yard art or crafts
(One trader made the cutest garden aprons!)
bird feeders
wind chimes

etc

SYLVIA, I keep forgetting to tell you I have some daylily babies for you for your friend. The name of them is Salom sheen & name says the color :)

o

Yay! Barb!

Tell me what you want for the daylilies;
(I think I've posted everything I have, but just in case I haven't, I'm too tired right now to think; I'll check/post tomorrow.)

Winddancing, come on ahead!

o

Thank you Barb
To bring food would be no problem I have cooked for a living even told I'm good at it * laughs* To be honest I'm a private chef for hire , this time of year I'm busy making all kinds of goodies last couple of days its been pumpkin fudge. How many folks usually show up at a swap ? I'll keep my eyes out to see just what I can come up with.

o

I'm a sucker for real homemade fudge. I tried to make it but not good at it :(

My grandmother made fudge to die for and date loaf.

Syliva right now I can't thing of anything to trade but if I see something that's not spoken for I may ask for it.

Sure hope the weather is nice not to hot not to cold LOL. Can't beleive last year was cold at the swap.

o

Bite your tongue, girlie!

I remember the Spring Swap very well indeed:

We had it scheduled for, I think, the 1st Saturday in April, & then the forecast was for sleet or snow or a blizzard or something, so we moved it to the 3rd Saturday, & Saturday morning a cold front moved in & we nearly froze!

Thank goodness someone brought a portable heater!

but this time I don't think cold will be our problem;

I can't believe it's already the end of the 1st week in October, & we're all still wearing shorts & running our ACs & the gardens are all still in "Summer" mode!

On another forum, people were yakking about cutting back their frostbitten perennials, & I was going, "What?"

o

HEHEHEHE, That's why I live in Texas, I don't like the cold and what we get is plenty sometimes more than what I want.

In another month or so we'll be cutting back all the frost bitten plants, I've been dreading it LOL.

o

'Fraid the only cannas I have are the big ones I got from you!

I do have violets, artemesia, dwarf mixed-color columbine, caladiums, abutilon, hibiscus, passion vine, a lot of boxwoods and lirope (sp?), pothos, bromeliads and of course a lot of seeds.

o

Waa Hooo! I am getting so excited!

I'll be bringing my assorted miscellaneuous things to trade. And food, but I haven't figured out what I want to make yet! Sylvia, do you need raffle tickets? I have a roll I can bring.

I need to get myself organized, it's almost here!

Rebecca150 at gmail.com

o

I think I will be able to make it this time. I have Gardenia, Jasmine, Aloe Vera, Pothos, Pomegranate, Luffa seeds, Cherimoya seeds, Luffa sponges (needs cleaning). I can dig up Yaupon Holly, Coreopsis, and Daylily if someone want those plants. I like to get one to ten gallon pots if someone has them to spare.

o

I'd love to have a gardenia if you have one to spare & maybe some pomegranite & yaupons, & I know my friend Vi would like daylilies.

I'll get you some pots, & do you still need soaker hoses?

o

sshuang, I would be interested in daylilies (if they are not orange or yellow). I have 3 gal. pots if you would like some.
I won't be able to post my list until next week.

Weldon

o

Sylvia,

I'll bring you a couple of gardenias and pomegranate plants. I'll also dig up some yaupon holly and daylily plants. I think I gave you some yaupons in the past. Did they make it ok? I got a soaker hose now. If you have an extra one in good shape, I can use it next year when the weather is hot.

Weldon,

My daylilies are the common orange type. Do you still want them? I can use the 3 gal pots if you can spare them.

Sherman

o

Yes, yaupons are doing well-
I only lost a couple, even in the heat wave!

Save the daylilies for another trader;
I have approximately a million of those orange ones!
I'll check the soaker hoses for condition & bring one if it's in good shape.

& I can bring:
lantana
lamb's ears
pond plants: umbrella something (sorry, I don't know the names!), arrowhead plant with shiny leaves, another one that looks sort of like datura but it grows in the water
Louisiana iris, purple ones & brilliant yellow-gold ones

house plants:
something like a philodendron only small
Vicks plant (smells just like Vicks salve!)
bromeliads (outside in shade in summer)
kolanchoe (outside in shade in summer)
Christmas cactus, mauve/pink

also
Mexican petunia, tall purple or tall pink
fishing pole bamboo

Does anyone want rose cuttings?
(& where's venessa???)

I can bring (I *hope*, depending on how the canes look by October 27!):
Seven Sisters
Pat Austin
The Alchemist
LaMarque
Souvenir de la Maison
Betty Prior
Geoff Hamilton
Graham Thomas
Duchesse de Brabant
Mrs B R Cant

o

Sherman, I have plenty of the orange daylilies, but will bring you some pots.
Sylvia, yes I will take whatever cuttings you have to share. and I will surely have some roses that you will love to have.
and (maybe) some of those nice little containable DWARF Mex. petunias!! They make GREAT border plants--have prple and whte

Weldon

o

I'll leave the orange daylilies in the ground unless someone wants them. I also have some cherimoya plants which are exotic tropical fruit trees if someone is interested. They need special care since they are sensitive to frost.

o

mommyfox, I sure hope it's okay to bring non-gw-members or tell them about the swap, because I've free-cycled a bunch of Kwanzo daylilies to new gardeners, & I've told 'em *all* to come!

Rebecca, yes, please bring the raffle tickets.

Your comfrey is doing well in its pot.

Dorothy, I have you down for lamb's ears & bog plants including Louisiana irises.

This swap is coming along just at the right time to keep the La irises from colonizing the universe over here:

They've broken out the sides of their plastic wading pool & grown over a rock border, & now they're moving in on the roses & the mulch pathway!

Their foliage is more long & slender than the regular bearded iris, & their blooms are very elegant;
they remind me of orchids.

Did everyone miss Marti's mention of firecracker plant?
I love mine; it's indestructible, it blooms all summer, scorns drought, & butterflies & tiny wild bees love it!

& did everyone miss mommyfox's mention of bromeliads?
Those things are just gorgeous; they're exotic-looking things with decorative leaves like succulents only more colorful, & the blooms are downright fantasy-outer-space looking!

Just the right thing to cheer you up in the winter.

Mommyfox-are violets susceptible to snails? I have a herd of snails (thinking of driving them to the railroad & sending them off to Oscar Mayer). They're just horrible.

If violets grow in shady moist areas & don't mind snails, or if they'll grow in dryish bright shade, I'd love to have some.

Please look at my various lists & let me know what I can bring you.

We'd better all get moving:
The 20th is less than 9 days away!

o

I just divided my Stella d'Oro lilies and have about 2 dozen little baby ones. Anybody want me to bring them? If I divide my other 3 giant Stellas, I'll have a bunch more, so if anyone can use them I'll bring them along too.

I'm interested on that firecracker plant, Marti. I don't know what it looks like, but I'm OK with that. Sounds like it's red. is it? My garden needs more reds.

Cheryl

o

Cheryl, I have a little decorative thing that I'm going to bring, sounds like what you're talking about only mine is smallish:
red/white/blue, Texas flag motif, narrow wooden container maybe 9" long & 4" deep, with a handle made out of barbed wire (duh, maybe for decorative purposes only???)

I don't decorate for each season like I used to, & all this has inside is some red confetti.

It would be cute with tiny flowerpots painted in red/white/blue with firecrackers or flags in the flowerpots.

The catalogs call firecracker plant "red", but mine's more of a bright tomato-orange color.

Bring your Stellas:

I'm sure they'll go like hotcakes!

o

Marti, I want a firecracker
Mommyfox, I'd like a bromelaid
Sorry that I can't post my list until next week, but I'm sure I'll have a good variety. Having a huge garage/plant sale this week-end. Barely enough room to walk.
Rem. I'll be coming to the meet from the Alzheimer's walk, so
somebody be ready to unload ME--forget the plants!!!
Weldon

o

I think I have 4 baby confetti lantana. I dug up the 2 big ones earlier & forgot about them and I think they are toast. I'll dig the other four the day before the swap.

Seamommy, debbiedo, barefoot?

Does anyone want any divided flats or 4" pots with flat? I just bought a bunch of pansies (I know, how boring, but I wanted color this winter) and won't throw them away if anyone wants them.

o

Marti - I would love the confetti lantana and a firecracker if you have one. Seamommy - if you have a spare bromeliad I'd like to have one. Sylvia - you do such a great job with this swap, I'll try and coordinate the food end of it. Will be needing an approximate head count soon.

o

Yes, barefoot, I have your name on one. And I'll dig up a firecracker for you too.

o
New

weldon, if you have any datura & rosemary left, I'd like those.

o
Another ?

Does anyone have any dusty miller?

Also, whoever is in charge of food, I like to cook too so tell me what to bring. And I think I have some garden gloves and maybe something else for a doorprize.

o

I dug up and divided Bonanza daylily I have three, Sylvia if you'd like one for your friend I'll put one back for you.

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

o

Thanks, Barb, that's gorgeous!

o

I'd like to come to this. I'm fairly new and don't really have much. I do (or will have) the tall mexican petunias, oleander (only about 10 inches tall at the moment), cannas, irises (I think purple and white), and possibly some texas star hibiscus cuttings. I'm open for anything to trade (I'll even take orange daylillies). I'm new to the area and bought a house with a wasteland of garden (read: room for lots of improvement and new flower beds). I saw some loffas somewhere in the post--I'd love to have some if there are still some. I have never been to a swap before and am excited. I'm guessing I show up around 11 ish and look for lots of people with plants.

o

Come on in, alley!

Are your white irises by any chance iris albicans, the old white cemetary iris?

I'm corresponding with an iris collector in another state who wants that kind, & of course right now I can't tell where mine are!

o

Alley do you have a name for the cannas or colors?

Ok you two - Sylvia and Julie I have two plumerias with your names on them only thing is one I know one is yellow, the other one I have no idea what the color is. Might be a great surprise. If y'all can't decide which to take we can do a drawing between y'all. Longest straw wins???

Sylvia I have you down for:
Salmon Sheen daylilies
Bonanza daylily
Plumeria

From Sylvia:
Some irises

Julie I have you down for:
Double Hibiscus
Plumeria

I have some plants I'll be bring not a lot but I don't need much so most of it will be for whoever whats them.

If they don't all get taken up I will put them on freecycle or craigslist.

o

What time is the swap going to start ? I know where the park is but is there going to be a sign or how will I know where ya'll are . I'm famous at getting lost * laughs*
Looking over what I have I have a bunch of donkey ear I don't know the proper names for most of what I do have . But this makes a pretty plant. I have one baby left off my spike plant. I have alot of Ivy and different kinds of phyllodium I think thats the right name , I have split leaf , big leaf I think one more drawing a blank right now . I hope to have some banana shoots, I have whats called mexican morning glory going to harvest some seeds. Finally got it to cover my mail box this yr looks very nice. I have a gaint rubber tree 9ft tall, and a varagated rubber tree 4ft if anyone knows how to take cuttings I'll bring some of this (if its wanted) I have a jade plant thats growing like crazy again not sure how to take clippings if nothing else I'll bring my plants & hopefully someone there can help me .

o

BARB !! I WANT A BONANZA DAYLILY, PLEASE.

Marti8a, I will put your name on a rosemary, and hopefully will have a datura also.

Here's the prospective list: 2 purple coneflower; 3 white bee balm;
1 lantana; 6 hardy hibiscus - white , pink
5 rudbeckia triloba; 5 rudbeckia -- brown eyed susan
1 white ruellia, dwf; 3 orange coleus
2 rosemary (1 for marti); 2 Heuchera
3 creeping jenny; 2 society garlic
2 comfrey (2 gal); persian lily
Roses, roses, roses,

a partial list-- will post more later, BUT, if there is no interest, I will not likely bring them all.
Lafter, Haywood Hall (noisette), Haynesville Pink cluster;
Wm R. Smith, tiny Slater's Crimson China; a climber that is similar to Seven Sisters (the pink one); Mini, Scarlet Gem;
2 gal,Jeanne Kenneally
Plus some more modern ones, but it's too dark to go out and read the labels. BTW, you can look up roses on
helpmefind.com\roses

Does anyone have "puppy paws"?
Look forward to seeing you all.
Weldon

o

You got it Weldon, I'd like one of the rudbeckia -- brown eyed susan. I didn't see it at the garage sale.

I also have some small hardy red amaryllis

o

barb, if no one else wants the amaryllis, I'd be happy to take them.

hadn't asked for them because I have a few, but I'd be glad to have more *if no one else wants them*:
better for somebody to get a start than for me to add to my hoard, I mean stash, I mean collection.

Please think about what else I can bring you:

I do have some Kolanchoe, some of the regular tomato/red/orange color & some yellow (don't know if I can tell which is which right now).

They do well in filtered light all summer but need to be inside for the winter-

They're good office plants year-round; bright filtered light, not much water, & keep them out of direct sun as it'll burn them.

Can anyone use a pool float?

I was given 2 brand new ones-a friend bought them on sale for her daughter, who turned out not to need them.

They look like air mattresses only nicer, one's white & one's hot pink.

o
RE: Wanted:Weldon's Cherokee Rose Cutting

Weldon, your Cherokee rose is a hit!

but I didn't make it home with mine back in April, & Vi has hers in a pot & wants another one;

she says if she doesn't have a plant you want in trade, she'll be glad to pay for a cutting (her husband is Cherokee).

She & I went to lunch today & I just got back:
we drove through an old cemetary & through some of the old parts of town, looking at the gardens, & asking people "what's that plant?", etc.

One homeowner gave Vi some black walnuts to put in her doghouse to repel fleas!

an interesting & educational afternoon!

o

WOW only 6 days till the trade. Time Flies & it's still to hot to think that it's actually Fall.

Marti I'd love a firecracker plant & the 4" pots with tray.
Cheryl if you have enough I'd love to get some Stella d'Oro from you.

I'm always open to daylillies ... lol who am I kidding, I'm open for just about anything. haha

I don't really have much to bring this fall so I will be bringing some small loaves of pumpkin bread, maybe some banana bread, cookies ya know what ever I can throw together.

Donna has dug up some daffodil bulbs, so she will be bringing them with her.

Debbie

Well se y'all Saturday

o

Sylvia I could use the floats. I can't think of anything else I need unless you can pull a firecracker fern out of your hat hehe

o

You got 'em!

Is a firecracker fern the same as a firecracker plant?

'cause I have one of those, & I could take a cutting.

It's the big plant that butterflies & bees love, & it hardly uses water at all.

o

I don't know what kind of irises I have. They were here when I moved in a year ago and have only seen them bloom once. Some were white and some were purple (I think mostly white). But, I don't know which is which at the moment. They were so overcrowded that I put some in pots and they have been doing great. I don't even have pictures to show so that somebody might know.

I really don't know anything about the cannas either. A friend dug hers up and just gave them to me. They are green (as opposed to the purple stalk). She thinks that they were orange.

o

I'll bring red bud (potted, about a foot tall including pot). Also have at least 2 taros for pond/bog. Since I'm still learning what will grow where and how well, don't have a lot of extra stuff around.

We just finished redoing our pond system - two small ponds with a stream inbetween - so I could use just about any ground covers - except ivy. Anybody have any frogfruit? I'll even take some creeping jenny though I know it can easily get away from you.

Oh, and I'll take orders for aprons if you want one. Just didn't get around to getting them in time this swaptime.

Dorothy

o

Hi everyone, I plan to come and I have these plants to bring--water plant: umbrella plant, pickerel rush, yellow flag iris, fairy moss, and lizard tail, other plants: black pearl oramental peppers, agrave, aloe vera, pink rock rose, brazilian rock rose, cypress vine, dwarf peach tree seedling, ghost plant, snake plant, spider plant, rosemary, red rose and some small garden decor items.

Barb, I would love to have one of your small amaryllis and a bonanza daylily if you still have some available. I have some red cannas, but they are about 4-5 feet tall with green leaves if you're interested.

Cheryl, I would also like to have some of you stella d'oro lily if you still have some available.

Please let me know if you would like anything from me.

Thank you.

Kay

o

Sylvia, a firecracker fern is not the same as a plant but I am interested in the firecracker plant not the cigar plant, if what your telling me it might be the one I was looking at - at green mamas last week. It is red open tube flowers. If that is the one then yes I'd love a start.

Alley I have all the orange cannas I can handle but thank you for getting back to me on the color.

Kay, I have you down for Bonanza daylily and Amaryllis, I'm always looking for yard art, decor items. Thank you for the offer of the cannas but I have red :)

o

Sylvia, I have a Cherokee rose that just rooted and plan to pot it on Tue. I'll bring it with your name on it. Will probably need to stay in the pot this winter and plant in spring.
Barb, I'll have plenty of rudbeckia -- brn eyed and triloba.
PLEASE somebody tell me if you're interested in roses. I have at least 15 - 20 that I could bring. Would rather not haul that many with all the other plants if there's not much interest.

Debbie -- roses for pumpkin and/or banana bread??????
Dorothy, Dorothy, Dorothy -- please, may I have an apron that says POPS ?? You want money?, plants?, roses? I've even got a couple of crepe myrtles I might could load in!!!

Weldon

o

uh.

weldon.

it is I, rose junkie of the Texas forum, speaking to you here-

I have a splitting headache right now (too much "fresh" pollen & mold-laden air), so I'll have try to think tomorrow of what I can trade for some roses.

barb-what I have is about 3' tall & maybe 4' across, loses its leaves in winter, I never water it. the leaves are sort of like willow leaves only shorter, & the flowers are tubular orange/red ones.
When I googled cigar plant, the flowers look similar but the hardiness zone is 9 & 10, & this thing has been outside forever.

I'll check more tomorrow.

o

Weldon,
I've got pumpkin bread for you & if I can get some over ripe bananas then one of them too.

I like ever-blooming - re-blooming roses especially in 2 tone pinks - reds etc. if you have anything like that. Do you have any of the double white daturas and rudbeckia left? OH AND if you bring toooo many roses I promise to take em all off your hands .... lol remember Donna my next door neighbor, weeelll she & my grand daughters want ROSES.

Don't know if anyone else is interested but Direct Gardening has their Fruit Cocktail trees at 50% off so they're only 12.48 each. I'm planning on ordering a couple & would be happy to split the $9 flat shipping with someone. (I live in grand Prairie)
http://www.directgardening.com/index.asp

Sylvia how does Black Walnuts repel fleas????
I know that Eucalyptus works (Does anyone have Eucalyptus trees - seeds?) Also I'll bring your brownies & bread for daylillies - irises, lantana & lambs ear.

Oh Marti I just saw that you have crinum lillies - do you still have any up for grabs, also I'd like some confetti Lantana & the pots you offered. Let me know what you want for them

Mommyfox I'd like to have some of your columbine, caladiums, abutilon & some passion vine. What's your desire??

Shushuang if you still have any of the pomegranate's, daylillies & the cherimoya plants I'd love to have some. Let me know

Barb do you have any Bonanza Daylillie left? If so what would you like in trade?

Oh & I'm always looking for all kinds of pots to plant in.

I can make Pumpkin bread, maybe Banana bread, brownies &
I also have my moms bread machine & will probably bring some dill , fresh ginger, cinnamon or onion bread if someone wants to trade for any. I practiced making up different types of bread this summer for my mom so I'm ready. Just put in your order by Wednesday night. I'll be getting the stuff Thursday & start baking during Thursday & Friday

:o)
Debbie

o

Sylvia, I think I'll pass on the firecracker plant.

Debbie, I put your name on the last Bonanza daylily, if your able to make some banana nut bread I'll take one. DH love it so it will make him happy.

Weldon I looked up the brown eyed susan and I think I have the same thing.

I think my brain stopped working, I'm so tired LOL

o

Sylvia- Barb, I empathize with the allergy/fatique syndrome.
OK here's a rose list. Several are once bloomers (spring) but some are rare and probably not found anywhere in this area
Be sure to look them up on http://www.helpmefind.com/rose/roses

Johann Strauss (aka Sweet Sonata); Wm. R. Smith;Mme Henri Fontaine; Haynesville pink cluster; Haywood Hall; Lafter; Gardinia (cl, spg blm);Mlle. Franzika Kreuger; Martha Gonzales; Hansa; Sally Holmes; Twister (cl); Prairie Star(Buck); a lg yellow (lg bush-lg bloom); a smelly bi-color--yellow w/red edge; one of my favorites--powder pink in an old fashion type bloom. A couple of surprises!
Miniatures: a really cute red climber; Sunnydew (yellow);Rose Gilardi (red w/pink moss type); Scarlet Gem -red.
See you there.
Weldon

o

I'm going to try to make from Central Texas.
I have:

rooted roses:
Cl. apricot (unknown large climber), Red Cascade, Caldwell Pink, Madame Alfred Carriere, St. David, Excellence von Schubert (1), and cl. fairy (invasive)and a few others...won't have room to bring all so email if you want one.

other plants:
Mexican Heather, Mexican ruellia (small), Turk's cap (not the lily), Texas Star Hibiscus Red, Walking Iris tropical), Asiatic jasmine (ground cover), Blue\lavendar Lantana, Mother of Thousands (tropical), Aloe, Speedwell (Venoica, Royal Candles-blue-spiked perennial).

Weldon, I would love William R. Smith if I have something you would like. If you want a particular rose, check with me, I have some not listed. Some are listed on my trade page.

Sylvia, I would love cuttings of Lamarque, Geoff Hamilton, and Graham Thomas if I something you would like. Also, Lamb's ear.

Things I would like:

Lamarque cuttings (or rooted, looking for two)
Zephirine Drouhin (or rooted, looking for two)
Sweet Chariot(min rose) cuttings or rooted
Perennials, especially blue, that do well in Texas
Bulbs

o

Weldon, if there're enough, I'd love to have a William R Smith & a Hansa...

I'll bring a zillion cuttings.
I called one of the roses by the wrong name, it's The Apothocary Rose, not the Alchemist.
& I also have Darlow's Enigma, New Dawn, & Zepherine Droughin.

& txtearose, I'd love to have a Caldwell Pink.
I'll bring you cuttings from the 3 you listed & from Z Droughin & lamb's ears.

o

Thanks, Sylvia...do you just need one Caldwell Pink, if you need two, I can do that also.

o

If you can spare 2, I'd love them!

Hello, my name is Sylvia, & I am a rose-aholic.

o

I just happen to have 2 Wm R. Smith: 1 for Sylvia, plus Hansa and 1 for txtearose. TTR I would like Caldwell pink, if you have a 3rd, Tx star hibiscus, and blue perennials if small.
Does ANYONE have hummingbird bush --trade you THREE roses or whatever for one. Also What's puppy paws?? someone at my plant sale told me about the plant. Also who has candle bush?

Weldon

o

txtearose, if you don't have 3 Caldwell Pinks, I reeeeally don't need 2, save one for Weldon.

Weldon, when you say butterfly bush, are you talking about buddleia?

They're *wonderful*!

o

Weldon,
I googled the roses & these looked nice, Lafter, *Rose Gilardi, Twister, Johann Strauss rose (aka Sweet Sonata).

IF YOU FIND ANOTHER Wm. R. Smith I WOULD REALLY LIKE ONE OF IT - IT LOOKS pretty & says it's continuous blooming.

Thanks,
Debbie

o

Kay,
If you have enough I would love to get some of these that you are offering.
yellow flag iris, fairy moss, black pearl oramental peppers, agrave, pink rock rose, brazilian rock rose, cypress vine, dwarf peach tree seedling, ghost plant.

Would you like to trade for bread?? Read above for types. I will bring some extra loaves to trade while I'm at the trade.
Thanks,
Debbie

o

Sylvia,
I would also like to request several clippings of your roses ... Graham Thomas, Geoff Hamilton & Lamarque. I want to try my hand at propogating them the Vanessa way.

OK I know I've posted 3 in a row - BUT I'm trying to get all my wants in before Saturday.... LOL YES I AM A PLANTAHOLIC.

Anyway here is the list I have configured - some with acknowlegment some without.

Please respond so I know who to look for & what your wants are. OK

Sylvia,----------- Me Brownies, Pumpkin bread
daylillies - irises, lantana & lambs ear
roses ... Graham Thomas, Geoff Hamilton & Lamarque

Marti
crinum lillies - also I'd like some confetti Lantana & the pots you offered

Mommyfox
I'd like to have some of your columbine, caladiums, abutilon & some passion vine.

Shushuang
pomegranate's, daylillies & the cherimoya plants

Barb ---------- Me Banana nut bread
Bonanza Daylillie

Cheryl Stella d'Oro

Weldon, --------- Me - Pumpkin & Banana nut

Lafter, *Rose Gilardi, Twister, Johann Strauss rose (aka Sweet Sonata). IF YOU FIND ANOTHER Wm. R. Smith

Kay,

yellow flag iris, fairy moss, black pearl oramental peppers, agrave, pink rock rose, brazilian rock rose, cypress vine, dwarf peach tree seedling, ghost plant

Again breads I will try to bring are:
Pumpkin bread, maybe Banana bread, brownies &
I also have my moms bread machine & will probably bring some dill , fresh ginger, cinnamon or onion bread if someone wants to trade for any. I practiced making up different types of bread this summer for my mom so I'm ready. Just put in your order by Wednesday night. I'll be getting the stuff Thursday & start baking during Thursday & Friday

Thanks,
Debbie

o

Weldon, I'm labeling a Caldwell Pink for you, as well as a red Texas star hibiscus and blue perennials. I'll bring some red Tx star seeds (plants are small) also and just a few white Tx Star Hibiscus seeds, which is new to me this year so I have just a few. Looked up Twister... wow, is that a beautiful thing!

Sylvia, thanks so much...I'll bring 2 Caldwells or one and any other rose on my trade page you may want.

I'll trade rooted rose for any named rose cuttings if any else is interested. This is the time of year I propagate roses.

Thanks, Faye

o

Yay!

If you have an Amazone, I'd love to have that;
it's gorgeous!

& I can bring you cuttings from Tradescant & probably LaMarque, too.

Debbie, I'll bring you cuttings, too!

I don't know how black walnut keeps fleas away, or even if it really really does, but if it works for Vi, I'm getting me some black walnuts!

o

Is anyone interested in potted annuals? I have pink (green leaf) begonias, and coleus (shade) that I don't plan to overwinter; I also have umbrella plants and crinum

o

I put your name on Amazone, Sylvia...I'm looking forward to cuttings. Thanks, Faye (TxTeaRose)

o

Hi,
Barb, thanks, I will put aside the small garden decor items for you.

Debbie, I will set aside those for you. can I have pumkin & banana nut please.

Sylvia, would you have that thornless rose from last year? My DH accidentally weeded mines that I had planted. I think it was a yellow color rose. Does anyone else have thornless or near thornless roses that I can have cutting of?

Mommyfox, can I have one of your abutilon? Please let me know if there is anything you want from me.

Thank you.

kay

o

Weldon,

Are you meaning Flame Acanthus. If so I have lots of it coming up from seed. I can pot up some for you. I think I may be able to make it to the swap. Also if candle bush is candlestick tree I also have some already in pots.My local nursery had them marked down to 50 cents. I picked up all 8 of them.They are 2-3 ft tall.
I have seeds from porterweed- coral, blue and dwarf red.
Ihave seeds of a plant that I grow as an annual called african foxglove. It gets pretty tall and sprawls if not staked. Also have a few small cat's whiskers.

Hope

o

Hope I'd like some Flame Acanthus please.

o

dirtmomma,
I am willing to overwinter some of your annuals, if you don't have enough pots just put em in a bag & I'll pot them up, also I'd love some crinum. Whats you choice in bread?

Kay,
You got pumpkin & banana bread coming.

Hope,
I would love to trade bread or buy a couple of the candle trees, also I'd like some of the Flame Acanthus seeds/plants, & a couple cat's whiskers

Sylvia,
I forgot to ask for some of your vicks plant - sounds interesting.

o

Debbie, I may have to pot some Vick's plant-
it really does smell like Vaporub!

Kay-
Was it Lady Banks?
Lady Banks is a delicate yellow rose with small leaves & small flowers, spring-blooming, thornless, & it grows very large.

I'll bring you cuttings.

& Zepherine Droughin is thornless; I'll bring cuttings of that too.

It's a big climber with big deep rose-pink, almose fuschia, flowers.

o

Debbie - either banana or pumpkin bread will work
I'll bring all my annuals - maybe more than you want -
I'll also bring the crinum.

Candle tree person
I'd like to buy or trade for one of the candletrees if any left -

Dorothy B.

o

Debbie,

I can bring you Pomegranate, Daylily, and Cherimoya plants. The Daylily is the common orange variety. The Cherimoya is a tropical plant which cannot tolerate any frost.

Sherman

o

I've not been able to keep up with the swap items this time. . . guess I just have to see what's left over. :-)

I could use any ground covers and decorative grasses. Anybody have those?

We also have quite a few pods from Mexican Buckeye if someone should want to try their hand at germinating them.

A branch fell and topped my Mrs. Chambers brugmansia. I have the cuttings/broken pieces but they don't seem to be drinking water. . . any hints?

Could someone refresh my memory of where we are holding the swap please?

Weldon - for sure I'll sew what you want on an apron!

Dorothy

o

Ok - hubby and I will be bring the hot dogs, condiments and sodas/water. We'll also bring paper plates, etc. What a deal, trade a plant for a meal. lol.

o
RE: oops

Oops - forgot to add - I'd like one of those candlestick trees. And if anybody has any homeless plants, I've got room at the inn.

o

Dorothy, do you have any Redbuds left? If so, I would like one.

o

Dorothy I can take cuttings from the vinca minor;
I have it growing under & up into a big shade tree.

Let me know if you want it.

The swap is the easiest place in the world to find:

From I-30 just west of downtown Ft Worth, take the University exit & turn north.

Immediately turn right, into Trinity Park.

Look for maniacs with plants.

easy.

NOTE TO THE FORUM:

I probably have lost count of everything, but it doesn't seem to me like barefoot in texas has asked for maybe 3 or 4 things & any "orphans", & she's the one feeding our army!

If we could each put back one nice something-or-other for her, I think she can go home with enough nice garden plants to keep her busy til spring!

o

Here's my list of haves & wants if y'all could double-check it.

Have:
Crinum lily, 1 to debbiedo, 4 unclaimed
Yellow water iris, 2 pots with multiple plants
Firecracker plant, 1 to seamommy, 1 to Weldon, 1 to barefoot, 1 to Weldon
Confetti lantana, 2 to seamommy, 1 to debbiedo, 1 to barefoot, 1 unclaimed
Arc n Ciel water lily, 1 to Dorothy?, 1 unclaimed
Texas Dawn water lily, 1 unclaimed
Hyacinth bean vine seeds, 2 packets, unclaimed
4" pots with tray, 1 to debbiedo, 1 extra
4" divided pot trays, several of them, unclaimed

Want:
Redbud, if Dorothy has any left
Flame Acanthus, if Hope has any left
Black Taro, 1 from Dorothy
Rosemary, 1 from Weldon
Datura, if Weldon has any left
Fresh ginger, if debbiedo has any left
Mexican buckeye seeds from Dorothy
put me down for 2 hot dogs barefoot

Kay, are your spider plants red? If so I would like one if you have any left.

I can bring a door prize, and food if someone will tell me what to bring.

Also, do we need to bring our own tables & chairs?

o
new

I forgot one. Does anyone want any sedum? I don't know what kind, like a ground cover.

o
RE: Making My List, Checking It Twice

My plan is to get the boxes together tomorrow morning & take the rose cuttings tomorrow night.

So, here's my working list, please let me know if I've left you off or made a mistake:

BARB-
I bring you: pool floats, iris
You bring me: plumeria (doesn't matter what color), daylilies

BAREFOOT GIRL-
I bring you: lantana, lamb's ears, 'orphans'
You bring me: lunch!

REBECCA-
I bring you: comfrey
You bring me: dog food? coupons? sump'n!

CHERYL-
I bring you: What *do* I bring you?
You bring me: Gala Apple seedlings, pecan seedlings, maybe Stellas if you have enough.

WELDON-
I bring you: $10! & millions of rose cuttings
You bring me: Cherokee rose, Hansa, William R Smith

DOROTHY-
I bring you: lamb's ears? pond plants, La (pond) iris
You bring me: redbuds, black taro if you have enough

MOMMYFOX-
I bring you: pots for forcing bulbs
You bring me: violets or sump'n for shade

SHERMAN-
I bring you: soaker hose if I can find one in good shape, 1 gallon & up pots
You bring me: gardenia, pomegranite, yaupon
I think you need to receive something else; you're bringing me a bunch of stuff. Can you use a couple of hanging baskets lined with coconut or some such?

ALLEY-
I bring you: Kwanzos & "anything" (Bwah hah hah hah!)

KAY-
I bring you: cuttings for Lady Banks & Zepherine Droughin
You bring me: ghost plant if you still have any.

DEBBIE-
I bring you: Vick's plant, lantana, lamb's ear, iris, caylilies, cuttings LaMarque, Graham Thomas, Geoff Hamilton
You bring me: your famous brownies, any & every kind of bread that you are inspired to bake.

FAYE-
I bring you: lamb's ear, cuttings from LaMarque, G Thomas, G Hamilton, Z Droughin, Tradescant
You bring me: Caldwell Pink, Amazone

MARTI-
I bring you: cuttings from Dusty Miller

If I've omitted anybody or any plant, puhleeze let me know!

WINDDANCER-

I'll *try* to post signs, but the park police may remove them.

It's very easy to get to the park, & all you have to do is follow the trail around & look for us when you get there!

o
RE: Saturday Swap

Marti-

Yes, if you can bring chairs & maybe a table, it makes it easier for you.

You can put your "available" plants on the table & the ones you're taking home underneath, & taking time to sit down a bit sure helps.

reminders:
We start around 10-ish, just beyond the pavilion if possible.

We cannot use the pavilion because it's "reservations only", &, even if no one is there when we arrive, they'll likely show up as soon as we all get comfortable!

Bring a notebook, pen, maybe a hat, stick-on labels, if someone has stick-on nametags those would be nice, I'll bring what I have but they're not stick-on.

o
again

BTW, I just noticed the lunch/food sign up post. If anyone else is looking, there is a separate fw swap lunch post.

What can I bring you Sylvia?

o
swap

I don't have name labels, but have envelope labels that would probably work.

o

Marti, if Dorothy doesn't have a redbud, I do..I'll bring it just in case...I'd love a crinum if we can work something out...Faye

o

Hi All,
I potted up a lot of flame acanthus today. It is a little wilty but should be o.k. Also potted up a few chinese pistache trees if anyone's interested.
Debbiedo do you have a preference on the cat's whiskers color. I have both white and lavender.
May also have a couple of hoya starts available.
Can also bring crinum lilies if more are needed.

Hope

o

Dang, you guys have been busy!

I finally managed to get out and dig stuff today. Here's my list, belated though it is ...

3 Rock Roses
A pot of artemesia (a bit like Dusty Miller)
2 Blue Daze
3 Dwarf Columbine (one with debbie07's name on it)
2 Violets (Sylvia, not sure how these do with snails but they're pretty tough. I'll keep one back for you.)
Boxwood (And if anyone wants more, I have a whole hedge for you. But I ain't diggin' them tomorrow for a swap on Sat.)
2 Bromeliads (one for weldontx - though they're looking a little shabby, I hope that's ok)
2 Abutilons for debbie07 and kay75052, assuming I actually get out to pot these tomorrow. Otherwise, I have lots of seed. Guys, any color preference between apricot and pink?
A bag of mixed irises (white, purple, yellow)
Pothos
2 pots of Wandering Jew

I didn't get out to dig my caladiums unfortunatley, and my flame acanthus and passionvine didn't root for me. :-( Alas, I am not a great rooter. Sorry!

As far as what I want, I'm up for lots of stuff - bulbs, perennials, redbuds (I hope), roses, whatever! Just as long as it's pretty hardy, because by February my life will be eaten by an eight-pound bundle of needs, and next spring is going to be a tough-it-out-or-die season for my plants ...

o
more swapping

D'oh! And pots! I need lots of pots for forcing bulbs for Christmas presents! Does that make me a pot-head? (My husband says, only if I wear the pots like a hat.)

o

I was just walking around the yard & there are 3 Spanish Lavender I need to dig up (if I can get them out with enough roots) if anyone wants any.

Mommyfox, you aren't alone, I just started digging & potting yesterday too. Well, I did dig up some lantana earlier but they died so they don't count. ;)

o

Sylvia, Cool. I knew you would have something for me :-) Thanks. I will put you down for the ghost plant.

Marti8a, can you put me down for one of the arc n ciel water lily and a crinum lily, please. the spider plant I have is a house plant; it's not like the "nake ladies" plant. I think I have a double white datura if you like one. It sprouted next to my big plant. I can pot it up for you if you're interested.

mommyfox, I would like one of your columbine also. On the abutilon, I don't have a color preference so any one is fine. Would you be interested in something that is not garden related? It's more for your new bundle of joy. I can send you a pic of it if you're interested. please let me know.

o
Rejected message, Grrrr

Hi Kay, I know what spider plant you are talking about now, aka airplane plant?

I have you down for a crinum & arc n ciel.

Txtearose, if Dorothy doesn't bring one, I would love to have a redbud.

o
again

Oh & Kay, I would love to have a datura. Then Weldon won't have to worry about it. I don't need any indoor plants so don't put me down for a spider plant. Thanks!

o

Sylvia,

I dug up around 6 Yaupon Hollies for you. My Yaupon sucker alot so the supply is limited by the amount of pots and soil that I have. I also have a couple of Pomegranates for you and several Gardenias as well.

I can certainly use hanging baskets if you have some to spare.

Catlunatic,

I would like to get some Chinese Pistache trees. I have Gardenia, Jasmine, Aloe Vera, Pothos, Pomegranate, Luffa seeds, and Cherimoya seeds. I can dig up Yaupon Holly, Coreopsis, and orange Daylily if someone want those plants.

Sherman

o

My neighbor is coming over this afternoon to help me dig. I have a couple of small vitex suckers if anyone wants those, widow's tears, Roughleaf dogwood, and purple heart. If no one wants them, I'm not going to dig them up.

o

Oh for pete's sake.

Please all, forgive my inability to post more than once in a fortnight! I have three children, ages 9, 6 and 2 and a half and I swear each one of them is in some sort of "stage". They also have managed to infect the household with one wicked running nose bug and a separate tummy bug.

Fun days of motherhood.

But we are all better now. I'll be at the swap tomorry, pending actually finding my way:-) But I won't be bringing homemade treats. Unless someone WANTS to get sick....Anybody??? Didn't think so!!!!!!!!!

I have a list of nonplant materials that I will be posting very shortly.

Sylvia, I managed to score four free cans of dog food. Please take a look at my list when I post and tell me if there is anything else I can give you.

I'll have my list up as soon as I can. My two and half year old needs tons of attention these days so it may take 2 and a half hours, but I will get it up!

Rebecca

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here