Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Trade Lists Ft Worth Autumn Swap November 1 2014

Posted by sylviatexas z8a Tx (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 22:35

I know that the weather is, as the song says, hotter than a two dollar pistol, but maybe that's the best time to start thinking about dividing, taking cuttings, planting seeds, stacking up extra pots, making some garden art...

I am thrilled to tell y'all that I took 3 cuttings from a neighbor's fig tree, & at least 2 of them show new growth!

Since I don't eat figs (is that the mark of OCD? you have to grow things whether you can use them or not?), I'll bring them to the swap.

also:

flame acanthus

datura, plain old-fashioned white

tall purple/blue salvia and/or a white one

light red salvia greggii

teeny weeny red yuccas grown from seed this spring
(I finally found the secret: clip off the tip of the seed!)

tall purple Mexican petunias

pigeon berry if wanted

I *may* have purple/blue vitex babies if the cuttings take.
(getting worried; this is sounding more & more OCD!)

Shasta daisies if someone wants them

crinums, maybe, if I make it over to help a friend divide hers.

orange trumpet vine if someone wants it:
this is a house-eating, barn-devouring, fence-cloaking maniac plant, but its sheer exuberance makes you feel good, & hummers & butterflies love it, so if you have a big area from which it cannot escape, let me know!
My neighbor is getting ready to to replace his fence, & the trumpet vine will likely be torn up, so let me know asap.

Virginia Creeper/oak-leaf ivy:
a deciduous vine with beautiful red autumn color.
Does this make up for disappearing in the winter?
Only you can judge.

Rose cuttings- if you want:
Old Blush (I never have had luck growing these, but don't know if it's the rose or if it's me!)
Martha Gonzales (have had success with this rose)
nice pink climber, don't know name but looks "david austin-ish"

I have a tropical amaryllis, can't remember the color, that I'd like to trade for something that doesn't have to come in for the winter;
I do not seem to have the indoor plant gene!

I can bring some miscellaneous nursery pots & plastic mini-blind labels, & I may have some craft things.

Wants:

loquat, 1 or 2

crabapple, 1 or 2

daylilies

irises, especially the oldies

roses (plants or cuttings):
Belinda's Dream
Mrs B R Cant
Duchesse de Brabant

This post was edited by sylviatexas on Sat, Aug 30, 14 at 10:59

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Trade Lists Ft Worth Autumn Swap November 1 2014

I have potted (Land plants):
Two blue vitex seedlings
Small plumbago
Two good sized confetti lantana (they didn't like being dug up)
Two Texas ash seedlings
Mexican poinsettia
Chinese star jasmine (Jasminum polyanthum), white bloom

(Pond plants):
Spider lily (Hymenocallis liriosme)

Can dig if anyone wants:
day lily - unknown color, probably orange
yellow coreopsis

Can collect seeds from:
Purple coneflower

Sylvia, I'd like a pigeon berry, pretty please

What I'd like to trade for are Texas natives. Not really interested in seeds though. I don't have a lot of luck with seeds for some reason.

This post was edited by marti8a on Tue, Sep 9, 14 at 22:12

o

You got it!

A neighbor brought me a whataburger cup full of datura seed pods (the porcupine kind), so I hulled them & set the seeds out to dry.

Just this week-end I planted a bunch that came from my one datura, so, knock on wood that the ones I planted sprout, I'll have both plants & seeds.

These are the old-fashioned white singles;
I don't know that they can be killed.

The neighbor told me that he'd paid for seeds of a double purple & a yellow, & he said he didn't know what happened, but they didn't come up.

I wondered if it was because they were hybrids & the white ones were species.

He said, "you mean the seeds I bought were blue-ribbon pedigreed pigs & these white ones are wild boars?"

exactly!

o

double post deleted

This post was edited by sylviatexas on Sat, Aug 30, 14 at 20:44

o

LOL, I have a lot of wild boars in my yard too.

o
Ft Worth Autumn Swap November 1 2014

I'm up to my old shenanigans!

took all the seeds out of those porcupine pods & put them in a plate on a patio table to dry in the sun.

Next day, I was tripping along watering everything tra-la-la-la-la, & since my hand is quicker than my brain, when I got to the sweet potato vine which was also sitting on the table, I...
sprayed it.

I sprayed it gooood.

& flooded the plateful of seeds.

I thought about trying to dry them out.

but it was hot.

so I put them into some pots that already had cuttings in them.

soooo...
I no longer have seeds for white daturas, but by Nov 1, I may have a few rooted fig cuttings surrounded by a zillion infant white daturas!

(hope so, anyway).

o

I was thinking of what to bring last night and wonder if there is any interest in the following. I am having a hard time with getting enthused, I've felt a bit down lately.

2 well rooted forsythias
as many blue spruce sedums as anyone wants
Colorado water lilies
big yellow water lilies, thought that these were Texas Dawn, but my SIL said that they were not
teacup sized white water lilies
horsetail rush
black gamecock iris <--Louisiana type
baby redbud trees
obedient plant (these have the soldier straight leaves and light purple balloonish blooms)

I cannot think of a thing that I want in return and I'm happy to just enjoy the company of other gardeners.

Pam

o
Trade Lists Ft Worth Autumn Swap November 1 2014

Pam I'd like some of the water lilies or water plants,& a 'black gamecock' iris if you have enough.

I've always liked them!

My little vitex cuttings are still green, so remember them if you have a place for this fragrant flowering shrub or small ornamental tree!

I have about 4 brand-new big plastic trays for starting seeds; these are the kind that are divided into small sections that hold plugs of soil.

This post was edited by sylviatexas on Sat, Sep 6, 14 at 18:54

o

Pam, I hope that isn't the yellow water lily I sent with Sylvia last year. If it is, sorry.

Is your obedient plant a fall or spring? I've got tons of fall but would love a spring.

o

Hey Sylvia, you shall have them all :-) I have a gorgeous vitex and don't have enough sun garden left for another. If you have enough pigeonberry, I'll take a bit of that.

Hey Marti, no I have had this one for years. I really need to build the big pond so that I can get the lilies out of kiddie pools :-)

Do you have Texas Dawn? Are the underside of the pads speckled with purple?

o

Honey, I have cornered the market on pigeon berry!

I'll bring you a good-sized 'chunk' of it!

I think the zebrina hollyhock made babies this summer, so if someone wants one, please speak up!

Those things are wonderful:
healthy, fast-growing, interesting to look at whether they're in flower or not...
but sometimes one of them will go all kudzu & over-run the city limits!

o

I just saw Marti's question about the obedient plant...it's blooming now, so a fall one I suppose. I got a cute plant at the spring swap from Cheryl that is also obedient plant. The blooms/plants are totally different, reminds me of dianthus flowers on taller (12 inch) plants. It's bloomed all summer, I'll see if there are seeds that I can start for you.

o

marigolds. and the dates good too. comp-uter ois boieng a butt head eogjt now. back ;later

o

Pam, yes, my Texas Dawn has speckled pads. I thought I'd find a picture online, but couldn't, so I had to go look.

I did find this video that shows the underside of large, older pads. And I took top & bottom photos of a fairly new pad.

photo TexasDawnPad2_zps9baad10e.jpg

photo TexasDawnPad3_zps826de310.jpg

As you can tell, I've been a negligent ponder this year. I definitely need to do a complete cleanout this fall and repot many.

This post was edited by marti8a on Tue, Sep 9, 14 at 14:07

o

I don't have that one. Mine have green pads on top with faint speckles and the underside is also green but with dark purple speckles.

I also have a big yellow bloomer with purple speckles on a green pad, both top and bottom.

Sylvia, how much room do you have?

o

My 'ponds' are Rubbermaid totes!

I have 2 empty ones, just waiting to be filled.

edited to add:

Last summer I dug down & sank a big round tote-type thing into the ground, & it worked *beautifully*...
until it developed a pinprick-sized hole & most of the water leaked out.

I know it would look better if I sank the totes into the ground, but I'm afraid that the acids in the soil, or maybe the microscopic critters in the soil, would eat holes in these containers as well.

This post was edited by sylviatexas on Wed, Sep 10, 14 at 12:40

o

Sylvia, I think you are pretty safe with Rubbermaid totes. If plastic liner holds for years, so would Rubbermaid. The only thing you might be concerned with is if the plastic is impregnated with mildewcide. I also lined my pond with old carpet to keep the rocks from puncturing the liner.

o

Thanks, marti, & the carpet sounds like a good idea;
seems like it might add a little insulation, too.

o

I have lotus growing in a cattle mineral bucket and wish I could get more! Rubbermaid totes aren't what they used to be. That being said, I use them anyway and the Sterlite tubs too. They have just as much capacity as my 35 gallon containers (also Rubbermaid) that I grow most of my lilies in.

That was a great video, Marti. Thank you.

o

Pam, the older pads on mine aren't dark on top or purple underneath - only the new ones.

o

Marti, can I interest you in a trade, just a small piece?

o

Sure. I can probably get it out by November. Of course, it's such a monster, it's probably wrapped itself around every pot in the pond.

o

I have those white datura seeds.

I'll have some cuttings of brugmansia (probably unrooted) but they will be fresh and you can root them in water in your garage over the winter.

I am expecting to have a few plumaria cuttings as well. My greenhouse is already full right now and I'm going to have to cut brugs and plumies so they don't take up so much space in there.

I have a large cardinal plant (and one smaller one too) that I won't have space for, the pot is 14x14" and the plant is about 24" tall.

Oh I have some sizeable aloe Vera's that need a new home.

I'll have some seeds, not many.

I'm gonna be looking for some seed starting flats, and I'm in need of hostas if you have some to spare. If you have any medium sized garden pots 6"-8" or so I could use them. I'll trade plants for flats and pots too.

o

Marti, can you use the seed-starting flats with the little cells that hold plugs of soil?

o

I've tried those Sylvia with about 25% success. I just don't have the seed germinating skill.

o

oops, there my fingers go again, outrunning my brain!

I meant to say, Seamommy, can you use the seed starting trays that hold plugs?

Marti had said already that she didn't do the seed thing.

I think growing-things-from-seed must be a gene, like curly hair or musical talent!

I don't have any of those genes...
just the fast fingers gene!

This post was edited by sylviatexas on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 12:27

o

Yes I can use them. The trick is to provide bottom heat until seeds germinate. I use a regular heating pad. Is there any interest in the brug and plummie ccuttings? If not I don't want to bring them.

Syl, If you have a fig cutting that's not already promised to someone I'd like to have one.

Are we doing the pot luck thing again? If so we need to spend more time actually eating cause I don't like to take home leftovers from a picnic.

I don't care about doing the gift swap though. I think we ought to skip that since it looks like we're not going to have very many people.

o

I'm fine with skipping the gift swap;
we've had to limit the value to keep it fair anyway, & those 'gifts' take up room in the car, space that otherwise could be occupied by a plant or two!

It seems like everybody likes the lunch;
gives us time to sit down together & visit.

don't know how big or little the group will be;
it's still very early days.

I just wanted to get the date set & encourage everybody to think about what they might want to start or pot up!

I'll bring seed trays!

Last year there was a woman at the Waxahachie Swap who wanted brug cuttings, but this year it'll be a couple of weeks before the FW swap;
if she comes to the Waxahachie Swap, I'll ask her if she still wants them, & if so, & if you have room to bring them to the FW Swap, maybe I can bring some back for her.

edited to add:

I can use any number of aloes;
my cousin uses them to soothe her radiation burns (on advice from her doctor).

This post was edited by sylviatexas on Sun, Sep 14, 14 at 10:04

o

by potluck do you mean everyone brings their own lunch or fixes enough for everyone? I'd rather go somewhere and grab a sandwich than add another pre-swap chore that morning.

o

We've always brought dishes to share, but it's by no means set in stone...

I my own self think that that makes lunch easier than loading everything up & caravaning someplace to eat, plus we can visit better at the park & the kids can play.
Rather than preparing a dish, you can always bring something from a deli, or a grocery store cake, or chips & salsa...

anyone else have thoughtson the gift swap or the luncheon?

o

I like the luncheon and have no strong feelings about the gift swap either way. I believe that I'll bring wraps again, they are really easy and folks seemed to like them.

I've decided to bring a couple of musa rojo that my DIL hasn't claimed. They aren't big but the mama is around 4 feet tall this year and I am tired of overwintering them inside.

I'm trying to root cuttings of desert rose, if they strike I'll bring those too.

o

I'll bring mac & cheese again;
I'll use the 'good' cheese this time.

I tried the Velveeta method last time & I don't care what they say, it just ain't as good.

ain't ain't ain't.

I have one Lady Banks rose in a 1-gallon pot, thinkng about whether to bring it or not.

I *could* plant it, but I already have one, & really, one is all you need...

Does anyone have anything cool to offer for a Lady Banks?

o

I really like your mac and cheese Sylvia :-)

My neighbor has a Lady Banks that I enjoy without giving up real estate :-) Her's didn't bloom much after the cold winter though. I bet next year it will go bonkers.

o

I had hardly any flowers this year, & I think it must have been the cold winter.

As you say, maybe next spring will be fabulous!

o

I have a couple of native redbud seedlings and lots of seed pods I collected today. Anybody interested?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Texas are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here