Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Trade Lists Ft Worth Autumn Swap November 1 2014

Posted by sylviatexas z8a Tx (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 26, 14 at 22:35

I know that the weather is, as the song says, hotter than a two dollar pistol, but maybe that's the best time to start thinking about dividing, taking cuttings, planting seeds, stacking up extra pots, making some garden art...

I am thrilled to tell y'all that I took 3 cuttings from a neighbor's fig tree, & at least 2 of them show new growth!

Since I don't eat figs (is that the mark of OCD? you have to grow things whether you can use them or not?), I'll bring them to the swap.

also:

flame acanthus

datura, plain old-fashioned white

tall purple/blue salvia and/or a white one

light red salvia greggii

teeny weeny red yuccas grown from seed this spring
(I finally found the secret: clip off the tip of the seed!)

tall purple Mexican petunias

pigeon berry if wanted

I *may* have purple/blue vitex babies if the cuttings take.
(getting worried; this is sounding more & more OCD!)

Shasta daisies if someone wants them

crinums, maybe, if I make it over to help a friend divide hers.

orange trumpet vine if someone wants it:
this is a house-eating, barn-devouring, fence-cloaking maniac plant, but its sheer exuberance makes you feel good, & hummers & butterflies love it, so if you have a big area from which it cannot escape, let me know!
My neighbor is getting ready to to replace his fence, & the trumpet vine will likely be torn up, so let me know asap.

Virginia Creeper/oak-leaf ivy:
a deciduous vine with beautiful red autumn color.
Does this make up for disappearing in the winter?
Only you can judge.

Rose cuttings- if you want:
Old Blush (I never have had luck growing these, but don't know if it's the rose or if it's me!)
Martha Gonzales (have had success with this rose)
nice pink climber, don't know name but looks "david austin-ish"

I have a tropical amaryllis, can't remember the color, that I'd like to trade for something that doesn't have to come in for the winter;
I do not seem to have the indoor plant gene!

I can bring some miscellaneous nursery pots & plastic mini-blind labels, & I may have some craft things.

Wants:

loquat, 1 or 2

crabapple, 1 or 2

daylilies

irises, especially the oldies

roses (plants or cuttings):
Belinda's Dream
Mrs B R Cant
Duchesse de Brabant

This post was edited by sylviatexas on Sat, Aug 30, 14 at 10:59

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Trade Lists Ft Worth Autumn Swap November 1 2014

I have potted (Land plants):
Two blue vitex seedlings
Small plumbago
Two good sized confetti lantana (they didn't like being dug up)
Two Texas ash seedlings
Mexican poinsettia
Chinese star jasmine (Jasminum polyanthum), white bloom

(Pond plants):
Spider lily (Hymenocallis liriosme)

Can dig if anyone wants:
day lily - unknown color, probably orange
yellow coreopsis

Can collect seeds from:
Purple coneflower

Sylvia, I'd like a pigeon berry, pretty please

What I'd like to trade for are Texas natives. Not really interested in seeds though. I don't have a lot of luck with seeds for some reason.

p.s. I thought of something else for my want list: red spider lilies

This post was edited by marti8a on Tue, Oct 7, 14 at 15:06

o

You got it!

A neighbor brought me a whataburger cup full of datura seed pods (the porcupine kind), so I hulled them & set the seeds out to dry.

Just this week-end I planted a bunch that came from my one datura, so, knock on wood that the ones I planted sprout, I'll have both plants & seeds.

These are the old-fashioned white singles;
I don't know that they can be killed.

The neighbor told me that he'd paid for seeds of a double purple & a yellow, & he said he didn't know what happened, but they didn't come up.

I wondered if it was because they were hybrids & the white ones were species.

He said, "you mean the seeds I bought were blue-ribbon pedigreed pigs & these white ones are wild boars?"

exactly!

o

double post deleted

This post was edited by sylviatexas on Sat, Aug 30, 14 at 20:44

o

LOL, I have a lot of wild boars in my yard too.

o
Ft Worth Autumn Swap November 1 2014

I'm up to my old shenanigans!

took all the seeds out of those porcupine pods & put them in a plate on a patio table to dry in the sun.

Next day, I was tripping along watering everything tra-la-la-la-la, & since my hand is quicker than my brain, when I got to the sweet potato vine which was also sitting on the table, I...
sprayed it.

I sprayed it gooood.

& flooded the plateful of seeds.

I thought about trying to dry them out.

but it was hot.

so I put them into some pots that already had cuttings in them.

soooo...
I no longer have seeds for white daturas, but by Nov 1, I may have a few rooted fig cuttings surrounded by a zillion infant white daturas!

(hope so, anyway).

o

I was thinking of what to bring last night and wonder if there is any interest in the following. I am having a hard time with getting enthused, I've felt a bit down lately.

2 well rooted forsythias
as many blue spruce sedums as anyone wants
Colorado water lilies
big yellow water lilies, thought that these were Texas Dawn, but my SIL said that they were not
teacup sized white water lilies
horsetail rush
black gamecock iris <--Louisiana type
baby redbud trees
obedient plant (these have the soldier straight leaves and light purple balloonish blooms)

I cannot think of a thing that I want in return and I'm happy to just enjoy the company of other gardeners.

Pam

o
Trade Lists Ft Worth Autumn Swap November 1 2014

Pam I'd like some of the water lilies or water plants,& a 'black gamecock' iris if you have enough.

I've always liked them!

My little vitex cuttings are still green, so remember them if you have a place for this fragrant flowering shrub or small ornamental tree!

I have about 4 brand-new big plastic trays for starting seeds; these are the kind that are divided into small sections that hold plugs of soil.

This post was edited by sylviatexas on Sat, Sep 6, 14 at 18:54

o

Pam, I hope that isn't the yellow water lily I sent with Sylvia last year. If it is, sorry.

Is your obedient plant a fall or spring? I've got tons of fall but would love a spring.

o

Hey Sylvia, you shall have them all :-) I have a gorgeous vitex and don't have enough sun garden left for another. If you have enough pigeonberry, I'll take a bit of that.

Hey Marti, no I have had this one for years. I really need to build the big pond so that I can get the lilies out of kiddie pools :-)

Do you have Texas Dawn? Are the underside of the pads speckled with purple?

o

Honey, I have cornered the market on pigeon berry!

I'll bring you a good-sized 'chunk' of it!

I think the zebrina hollyhock made babies this summer, so if someone wants one, please speak up!

Those things are wonderful:
healthy, fast-growing, interesting to look at whether they're in flower or not...
but sometimes one of them will go all kudzu & over-run the city limits!

o

I just saw Marti's question about the obedient plant...it's blooming now, so a fall one I suppose. I got a cute plant at the spring swap from Cheryl that is also obedient plant. The blooms/plants are totally different, reminds me of dianthus flowers on taller (12 inch) plants. It's bloomed all summer, I'll see if there are seeds that I can start for you.

o

Various seeds.
Jade cuttings (possibly rooted by then)
Possibly some brugmansia cuttings
Aloe plants all sizes
Airplane plants

I will be downsizing and may not take any trades for the stiff I bring. Unless of course its something I really, really want or if its covered with chocolate.

This post was edited by seamommy on Thu, Oct 23, 14 at 23:04

o

Pam, yes, my Texas Dawn has speckled pads. I thought I'd find a picture online, but couldn't, so I had to go look.

I did find this video that shows the underside of large, older pads. And I took top & bottom photos of a fairly new pad.

photo TexasDawnPad2_zps9baad10e.jpg

photo TexasDawnPad3_zps826de310.jpg

As you can tell, I've been a negligent ponder this year. I definitely need to do a complete cleanout this fall and repot many.

This post was edited by marti8a on Tue, Sep 9, 14 at 14:07

o

I don't have that one. Mine have green pads on top with faint speckles and the underside is also green but with dark purple speckles.

I also have a big yellow bloomer with purple speckles on a green pad, both top and bottom.

Sylvia, how much room do you have?

o

My 'ponds' are Rubbermaid totes!

I have 2 empty ones, just waiting to be filled.

edited to add:

Last summer I dug down & sank a big round tote-type thing into the ground, & it worked *beautifully*...
until it developed a pinprick-sized hole & most of the water leaked out.

I know it would look better if I sank the totes into the ground, but I'm afraid that the acids in the soil, or maybe the microscopic critters in the soil, would eat holes in these containers as well.

This post was edited by sylviatexas on Wed, Sep 10, 14 at 12:40

o

Sylvia, I think you are pretty safe with Rubbermaid totes. If plastic liner holds for years, so would Rubbermaid. The only thing you might be concerned with is if the plastic is impregnated with mildewcide. I also lined my pond with old carpet to keep the rocks from puncturing the liner.

o

Thanks, marti, & the carpet sounds like a good idea;
seems like it might add a little insulation, too.

o

I have lotus growing in a cattle mineral bucket and wish I could get more! Rubbermaid totes aren't what they used to be. That being said, I use them anyway and the Sterlite tubs too. They have just as much capacity as my 35 gallon containers (also Rubbermaid) that I grow most of my lilies in.

That was a great video, Marti. Thank you.

o

Pam, the older pads on mine aren't dark on top or purple underneath - only the new ones.

o

Marti, can I interest you in a trade, just a small piece?

o

Sure. I can probably get it out by November. Of course, it's such a monster, it's probably wrapped itself around every pot in the pond.

o

I have those white datura seeds.

I'll have some cuttings of brugmansia (probably unrooted) but they will be fresh and you can root them in water in your garage over the winter.

I am expecting to have a few plumaria cuttings as well. My greenhouse is already full right now and I'm going to have to cut brugs and plumies so they don't take up so much space in there.

I have a large cardinal plant (and one smaller one too) that I won't have space for, the pot is 14x14" and the plant is about 24" tall.

Oh I have some sizeable aloe Vera's that need a new home.

I'll have some seeds, not many.

I'm gonna be looking for some seed starting flats, and I'm in need of hostas if you have some to spare. If you have any medium sized garden pots 6"-8" or so I could use them. I'll trade plants for flats and pots too.

o

Marti, can you use the seed-starting flats with the little cells that hold plugs of soil?

o

I've tried those Sylvia with about 25% success. I just don't have the seed germinating skill.

o

oops, there my fingers go again, outrunning my brain!

I meant to say, Seamommy, can you use the seed starting trays that hold plugs?

Marti had said already that she didn't do the seed thing.

I think growing-things-from-seed must be a gene, like curly hair or musical talent!

I don't have any of those genes...
just the fast fingers gene!

This post was edited by sylviatexas on Sat, Sep 13, 14 at 12:27

o

Yes I can use them. The trick is to provide bottom heat until seeds germinate. I use a regular heating pad. Is there any interest in the brug and plummie ccuttings? If not I don't want to bring them.

Syl, If you have a fig cutting that's not already promised to someone I'd like to have one.

Are we doing the pot luck thing again? If so we need to spend more time actually eating cause I don't like to take home leftovers from a picnic.

I don't care about doing the gift swap though. I think we ought to skip that since it looks like we're not going to have very many people.

o

I'm fine with skipping the gift swap;
we've had to limit the value to keep it fair anyway, & those 'gifts' take up room in the car, space that otherwise could be occupied by a plant or two!

It seems like everybody likes the lunch;
gives us time to sit down together & visit.

don't know how big or little the group will be;
it's still very early days.

I just wanted to get the date set & encourage everybody to think about what they might want to start or pot up!

I'll bring seed trays!

Last year there was a woman at the Waxahachie Swap who wanted brug cuttings, but this year it'll be a couple of weeks before the FW swap;
if she comes to the Waxahachie Swap, I'll ask her if she still wants them, & if so, & if you have room to bring them to the FW Swap, maybe I can bring some back for her.

edited to add:

I can use any number of aloes;
my cousin uses them to soothe her radiation burns (on advice from her doctor).

This post was edited by sylviatexas on Sun, Sep 14, 14 at 10:04

o

by potluck do you mean everyone brings their own lunch or fixes enough for everyone? I'd rather go somewhere and grab a sandwich than add another pre-swap chore that morning.

o

We've always brought dishes to share, but it's by no means set in stone...

I my own self think that that makes lunch easier than loading everything up & caravaning someplace to eat, plus we can visit better at the park & the kids can play.
Rather than preparing a dish, you can always bring something from a deli, or a grocery store cake, or chips & salsa...

anyone else have thoughtson the gift swap or the luncheon?

o

I like the luncheon and have no strong feelings about the gift swap either way. I believe that I'll bring wraps again, they are really easy and folks seemed to like them.

I've decided to bring a couple of musa rojo that my DIL hasn't claimed. They aren't big but the mama is around 4 feet tall this year and I am tired of overwintering them inside.

I'm trying to root cuttings of desert rose, if they strike I'll bring those too.

o

I'll bring mac & cheese again;
I'll use the 'good' cheese this time.

I tried the Velveeta method last time & I don't care what they say, it just ain't as good.

ain't ain't ain't.

I have one Lady Banks rose in a 1-gallon pot, thinkng about whether to bring it or not.

I *could* plant it, but I already have one, & really, one is all you need...

Does anyone have anything cool to offer for a Lady Banks?

o

I really like your mac and cheese Sylvia :-)

My neighbor has a Lady Banks that I enjoy without giving up real estate :-) Her's didn't bloom much after the cold winter though. I bet next year it will go bonkers.

o

I had hardly any flowers this year, & I think it must have been the cold winter.

As you say, maybe next spring will be fabulous!

o

I have a couple of native redbud seedlings and lots of seed pods I collected today. Anybody interested?

o

This far in advance of the swap date, it seems like people often post only on week-ends, so it may be several days before a post gets any responses.

I can use some understory trees, but if someone else needs/wants/prefers the redbuds over vitex, I'll plant more vitex!

The vitex cuttings seem to be rooting pretty well, so I'll have some to bring to the swap.

o
Lunch-forgot to say...

Marti, you might bring bottled water or ice or paper plates or napkins.

o

Ok, where the heck is everybody???

I'm just a'workin' & a'diggin' &...what're y'all doing???

The fig cuttings seem to be taking, the vitex look good, & I even have a couple of cashmere bouquet (shade plant, boring mauve chrysanthemum-shaped flower that seems to be a butterfly narcotic) in pots.

edited to add:

potted up 2 clumps of garlic chives this morning;
these things are so hardy & spread so willingly that all you need is a clump!

This post was edited by sylviatexas on Fri, Sep 26, 14 at 14:41

o

Hi Sylvia,
I'm still here and finally getting around and outside. I've been really down to the point of feeling very ill.

I'm hoping I can find a new home for a Hydrangea macrophylla. Someone gave it my MIL as a gift plant years ago and she doesn't do plants. I've been keeping it alive but my area is just too dry for it and it spends most of it's life looking wilty and in need of a drink. I have a hard time with shovel pruning, especially when it was given to me to rescue. It blooms nicely when I remember not to cut off the bloom stalks (they look like dead twigs to me).

Cheryl, I will bring the white brugmansia that I promised you last time.

o

pk, maybe you feel ill because you *are* ill!

Sometimes feeling depressed is a symptom, not a cause;
it means you're sick.

please do this:

Make an appointment with your doctor,
write down everything you can think of that doesn't feel 'right' (keep your notepad with you so you can write down things as they occur to you).

I agree about hydrangeas:
I tried one *once* & felt really guilty about torturing it!
I think it found a better home at one of the earlier swaps.

I did just read that oakleaf hydrangea Snowflake actually likes our area, so bear that in mind if you run across one.

o

Pam, I hope you are feeling better soon. Not West Nile I hope.

Dh has decided he doesn't want to come with me, so I think I'll just stay until noon and then come home so I can spend the afternoon with him.

o

Sylvia, I've been going to the doctor, tested negative for West Nile, positive for convalescent stage mono and clinical depression. It takes forever for anti-depressants to start working :-)

o

I've never heard of convalescent stage mono. Does that mean it's less severe or you are over the worst part?

o

I was already getting over it. It's always with you apparently once you've been exposed. He found convalescent stage Epstein Barr virus too.

o

Yikes!

Well, take your vitamins & your anti-depressants, take care of yourself, don't push yourself to over-tiredness, & if the depression meds don't kick in, get a different kind.

I once worked with a guy who had tried 3 or 4 different medicines before he got the right fit, & it evidently really *was* 'the right fit', because he was as cheerful as he could be.

o

Anyone interested in green taro? The pondlets seem to be getting overgrown with them.

o

yes yes!

I love taro!

& I have a whole 'nother RubberMaid tote fjust waiting or whatever I bring home from the swap!

getting excited:
going outside right now to see what else I can find!

That garden is just about picked clean!

I did pot up a zebrina hollyhock & put a piece of a sedum (looks like Autumn Joy but with lavender blooms) into a pot.

This post was edited by sylviatexas on Sun, Sep 28, 14 at 16:05

o

Sylvia, I have a start of blue taro with your name on it too. It will not be winter hardy although, I did keep it in the cold frame last winter with only a 100 watt bulb burning when it was below freezing.

o

Thanks!

I'll put it in the storage building & put a light out there.

o

Will anyone be thinning vegetable seedlings?

I saw a beautiful photo in an old book;
the guy's entire landscape was edible!

He had about a dozen beautiful big cabbages in a triangle in the corner of a flower bed, all touching each other, & it was stunning!

I'm thinking I could start cabbages and/or broccoli and/or cauliflower (similar shape).

Landscape for the winter, & eat 'em all up before they get raggedy!

I never have managed to grow onions;
every time I started some, a new subdivision would go in, & all the wild critters would flee, right through my onions, stopping only long enough to dine.

However, since onions are now 98 cents a pound, & since I do love them in winter stews & such, maybe it's time to try again!

o

Hi Everyone,

I plan on being there and bringing a friend also. She is new to gardening and will be bringing baked goodies. Any requests? LOL. So far off the top of my head I have tapioca tree seedlings, maximillian sunflowers, seeds - elephant head amaranthus and texas star red hibiscus, Louisiana iris (small). I can bring pads of several different types of cactus if anyone is interested.

PK, I hope you are feeling better. If you have any musa rojo and blue taro left, I would like some. Let me know if you see anything on my list that interests you. I'm sure I will think of more things as soon as I post this.

Darlene

o

Yay!

I was wondering where you were!!!

& it's always so much fun to have a new gardener!

As always, I like homemade bread, even cornbread if no milk or sugar in it, brownies, blondies, & Folger's Black Silk Coffee.

& I was just thinking today (til it made my head hurt), new gardeners can go to Dollar Tree & get the gloves that have rubber laminated to the palms & part of the fingers;
gardeners can *always* use those things!

Dollar Tree also has flower pots, decorative doo-dads, candles, lotions, corn starch, vinegar, aspirin, & many other things that we always need.

Please let me know what she would like;
the vitex cuttings took,
& I always have 4 o'clocks,
but so far I haven't made it to help the friend with her crinums.

I also have some vinca minor for ground cover under trees.

just trying to think of the easy stuff with a lot of 'bang for the buck'!

o

I'll have some unknown historic irises as well;
probably albicans (white cemetary iris);
they're evergreen, they grow, they flower, & they cannot be killed.

The construction supervisor at a renovation project (house at least 100 years old) told me I could have the irises, which had had roofing shingles dumped on them & work boots stomping them...so I'm digging 'em up!

o

Sylvia, what is the name of that book? My dd wants to change her landscaping to all edible stuff.

o

Well, heck, can't remember, & can't find it!
I'll look.

It wasn't entirely about edible landscaping;
one of the main ideas was "wide rows" or some such.

The idea is that you can produce more food if you have maybe 3 rows of plants rather than 1 between each walkway.

You plant 3 or 4 rows, depending on the mature size of the crop-
just plant as many rows together as you can comfortably reach halfway across.

I'll try to find the book tomorrow.

o

I plant two rows together. That's the most I can get to for picking and weeding.

o

Hey Darlene,
I'll bring you a nanner and a blue taro in exchange for the Texas Star...if nobody else has spoken for it.

o

Hi PK,

I only have seeds of the Texas Star and lots of them!

Darlene

o

Darlene, I'll take some cactus pads :-)

o

Greetings,

This will be my first plant swap, so I am not too sure about how this goes. I had a few questions:

Are any size plants acceptable?
Is it an all day event or just a few hours?

Honestly I don't need any plants, but I really need to unload some plants to anyone who wants them. The only thing I would ask for is a replacement pot. But even then, not really necessary. I will just be happy to find them homes. Otherwise I will have to go to Craig's list.
My wife got me a greenhouse for Christmas last year, and has been regretting it ever since. :)
I went on a seed binge of a wide variety of things, some that I am not too certain will grow here while planted in the ground, but should be fine in pots if overwintered. I just saw "Zone 8" on things and grew them, without knowing heat tolerance, acidity, etc. We'll just chalk that up to inexperience.
While I do love native plants, I do like to experiment with exotic plants. So if anyone's curious about wanting to try any of these let me know. This will be all of the plant's first winter.

All grown from seeds, I have:

5x Laburnum Anagyroides - Golden Chain Trees (6-8")

3x Acer Buergerianum - Trident Maple (4-6")

2x Albizia Julibrissin - Silk Tree (4-6")
1x Albizia Julibrissin - Summer Chocolate Silk Tree (5")

2x Bauhinia Hookeri - Mountain Ebony (9b - needs to be in a pot) Lovely white flowers in spring and tiny leaves.

3x Brachychiton Bidwillii - Australian Little Kurrajong (possibly zone 8a). Showy orange-ish flowers in spring.

2x Dichrostachys Cinerea - Sickle Bush (12") Listed as zone 8, small leaves, beautiful lantern-like flowers in spring, has thorns. I have mine in a large pot, over 5 ft. tall just this season.

1x Eucalyptus Gunnii - Cider Gum (12"+)

1x Eucalyptus Globulus - Tasmanian Blue Gum (24")

4x Pinus Pinea - Italian Stone Pine (6"-10") Listed as 8b.

1x Quercus Robur Fastigiata - Upright English Oak Tree (8")

2x Tecoma Stans - Yellow Trumpet Tree (2'-3') These are supposed to be the small tree variant (Tecoma stans var. angustata??) and not the shrub.

1x Vitex Agnus - Chaste Tree (8")

10x Kunzea Baxteri - Baxter’s Kunzea (4"-6") Has similar fuzzy red flowers like the bottle brush tree/shrub, listed as zones 7-9.

1x Psoralea Pinnata - Kool Aid Bush (10") Zone 9, needs to be in a pot. Have read that it will regrow from ground each year if frost hits it.

2x Cussonia Paniculata - Mountain Cabbage Tree (4") Zone 9, needs to be in a pot. Popular bonsai tree.

2x Cordyline Australis - Giant Dracaena - Spikes Cornish Palm

I also have a few Palms, but I need to edit this with the number of different ones as the spikes are hard to tell apart.

Sabal Palmetto - Cabbage Palmetto
Livistona Chinensis - Chinese Fan Palm

I also have several Coral Trees (9b) that need to be repotted into large pots.

I have more, few different Cypresses, Pines, etc but will have to update this list after work.

o

PK,

I will bring you a huge assortment of cactus pads! Thanks.

Darlene

Hi VoidWarHammer,

Welcome. Looking forward to meeting you at the swap. I'm interested in the following:

Laburnum Anagyroides - Golden Rain Tree
Acer Buergerianum - Trident Maple
Albizia Julibrissin - Summer Chocolate Silk Tree
Brachychiton Bidwillii - Australian Little Kurrajong
Kunzea Baxteria - Baxters Kunzea
Cussonia Paniculata - Mountain Cabbage Tree

Are you interested in anything in particular? I have quite a bit of nursery pots I could bring you. I could also bring some terra cotta pots if you are interested. I have quite a few cactus if you are interested in cactus. What about potting mix or seed starting mix? Thanks.

Darlene

o

Sylvia,

Thanks for the ideas. I will certainly pass along your suggestions. I don't think I have ever seen the Folgers Black Silk Coffee. Where do you get that? LOL.

Darlene

o

Hi dcarpenter,

Got those on the list to bring.

I really don't (shouldn't!) need any plants. I have our small subdivision home chalked full of stuff. Anything else will get me in trouble, although I am sure I will see some I would love.
I just need materials, like the replacement pots. I have literally hundreds of seeds stored in the garage fridge for germinating over fall/winter and I never seem to have enough pots.... The planters pots at Lowes and Home Depot get a little expensive too. I don't think I'll need any terracotta pots, no experience with them really.
This winter I am going to be hitting the Eucalypts, I have about 10 different varieties that were listed as zone 7-8+ that I will be trying out.
I have 5 of each of the 2 varieties that I listed above planted at my parents house as a "test bed". But they live in Decatur, which I am pretty sure is zone 7, so we'll see.

I also need to start my passionvine cuttings.... so much to do....

o

'Folgers Black Silk Coffee. Where do you get that? LOL'

only at the finest stores:
HEB & WalMart!

It's just a darker, finer coffee.

Did I mention that I have some lycoris radiata?

As I was leaving the latest old-house-under-renovation, having gotten the irises, a neighbor came over & asked me if I liked spider lilies.

Well, duh.

The elderly lady who had lived in the house had told this neighbor to get all she wanted, but now the neighbor is moving.

so I can bring some of these beautiful bulbs!

o

Here are some pics of the flowers that a few plants will produce:

Sickle Bush:

Little Kurrajong:

Mountain Ebony:

Koolaid Bush:

EDIT: Hmmmm does "img src=” file location and name”" in brackets <> not work on these forums?

EDIT 2: Odd, the auto email that I get displays the post correctly with all of the pictures. I can't see them on here though.

EDIT 3: Ta-dah! Re-Opened Photobucket account.

This post was edited by VoidWarhammer on Wed, Oct 8, 14 at 16:14

o

Hi VoidWarHammer,

I'm not sure what to bring you. Can you use the nursery pots? Are your plants in expensive pots? What about potting soil/seed starting mix?

Sylvia,

I'm interested in your Shasta Daisy and possibly some rose cuttings if you feel up to it. I can bring you a very pretty daylily that I need to divide.

Marti8a,

I'm interested in your Mexican Poinsetta. Are you looking for anything in particular besides red spider lilies?

PK,

If you have any Colorado water lilies left, I would like a start.

Seamommy,

I would like a cutting of your brug and plummie. I can bring you some pots and/or trays.

I'm going to walk around the yard tonight and see what all needs thinning out.

Anyone interested in red hot pokers?

Thanks!!

Darlene

o

Hey Darlene,

Nursery pots are perfect, any kind. I got the Lowes and Home Depot pots because they are nice and sturdy and last longer, but overpriced. I need to order bulk ones from online garden suppliers, but for now I'll take whatever I can get. :) I am sure that I will burn through them in no time this winter.
Potting and/or seed starting soil would be great as well. I seem to fly through it, and use lots of both.

-Phil

o

Phil,

Ok, nursery pots it is. I will also bring a bag of potting soil and seed starting mix for you. Thanks!

Darlene

o

Yep, I'll bring a Shasta daisy!
rose cuttings, I'll take them a little later in the month.
I'd love a daylily!

Phil, I got some big nursery pots at What-a-Burger when they re-did their landscaping.

I think they're 3-gallon pots, & I have quite a few.

Please let me know if you can use pots this big!

Marti, I had forgotten that you wanted spider lilies;
I gotcha covered on that!

o

VoidWarHammer, your trees are just beautiful! I so wish that I had space in the sun for some! I'll see what kind of pots I have left over, I was begging for pots in the spring and got a few!

Here's what I have so far. Let me know if I have forgotten anything.

Sylvia:
Colorado, white mini and yellow water lilies
Green and Blue Taro
Black Gamecock iris

getting pigeonberry

Darlene:
Blue Taro
Colorado
Musa Rojo

getting cactus pads

Marti:
Obedient Plant from Cheryl seedlings

don't worry about the Texas Dawn, just keep me in mind next time you divide it

Cheryl:
White double brugmansia

Up for grabs:
2 well-rooted forsythias ... if nobody wants these I may keep them for the Azle gardeners get together that I'm trying to organize

a couple extra blue taro

plant markers made from juice can bottoms

whatever else I find to bring

o

Here are some suggestions for first-time "swappers", reminders for the rest of us:

Wear loose or baggy comfortable clothing (pockets are good!) & comfortable shoes, & bring a hat.

sweater or jacket, just in case.
It's November, maybe we can hope for a cool breeze!

Remember your sunblock.

things that come in handy:
hand sanitizer
pens, pencils
Sharpies
notebook
cards with your contact info
pictures
camera!
cut-up mini-blinds for plant labels
bottled water

If you have room & want to, bring a cart or wagon, folding table, folding chair, etc.

o
Is There An Artist In The House??? Directional Signs Needed

Is there some talented person who can make some signs to put up at University & Rock Springs & maybe at a couple of 'splits' inside the park?

The simpler the better;
we need them to be easy to read at a glance, so drivers can keep watching for traffic & short unpredictable pedestrians on the way to the swap!

o

I can do signs. What do you think, maybe 4?

o

Super!

Yes, 4 would be plenty:

1 at the street where you turn into te park.
2 at curves or splits on the path/lane/trail.
1 at the site where we set up.

Thanks!

o

My daughter and grandsons from Delaware will probably be coming with me. We'll shoot for getting there early to get the signs up.

We're planning on starting around 10, right? I can't find the post that speaks to the starting time.

o
SCORE! Ft Worth Autumn Swap November 1 2014

I told somebody...?...9.

but 10 is good, too!

We always seem to trail in all morning.

A woman called me to donate a big old box of mostly yellow (she thinks) daylilies & purple irises to the Waxahachie Swap, & the leftovers will be at the FW Swap.

I mean a *big* old box!

o

I found a few more things I can bring, so here's an updated list:

Darlene:
- 5x Laburnum Anagyroides - Golden Chain Trees (6-8")
- 3x Acer Buergerianum - Trident Maple (4-6")
- 3x Brachychiton Bidwillii - Australian Little Kurrajong (possibly zone 8a). Showy orange-ish flowers in spring.
- 1x Albizia Julibrissin - Summer Chocolate Silk Tree (5")
- 10x Kunzea Baxteri - Baxter’s Kunzea (4"-6") Has similar fuzzy red flowers like the bottle brush tree/shrub, listed as zones 7-9.
- 2x Cussonia Paniculata - Mountain Cabbage Tree (4") Zone 9, needs to be in a pot. Popular bonsai tree.

Others I have:

- 1x Albizia Julibrissin - Silk Tree (4-6") Only 1 now, daughter pulled one up out of the pot, broke at roots. :(
- 2x Bauhinia Hookeri - Mountain Ebony (9b - needs to be in a pot) Lovely white flowers in spring and tiny leaves.
- 2x Dichrostachys Cinerea - Sickle Bush (12") Listed as zone 8, small leaves, beautiful lantern-like flowers in spring, has thorns. I have mine in a large pot, over 5 ft. tall just this season.
- 1x Eucalyptus Gunnii - Cider Gum (12"+)
- 1x Eucalyptus Globulus - Tasmanian Blue Gum (24")
- 4x Pinus Pinea - Italian Stone Pine (6"-10") Listed as 8b.
- 1x Quercus Robur Fastigiata - Upright English Oak Tree (8")
- 2x Tecoma Stans - Yellow Trumpet Tree (2'-3') These are supposed to be the small tree variant (Tecoma stans var. angustata??) and not the shrub.
- 1x Vitex Agnus - Chaste Tree (8")
- 1x Psoralea Pinnata - Kool Aid Bush (10") Zone 9, needs to be in a pot. Have read that it will regrow from ground each year if frost hits it.
- 2x Cordyline Australis - Giant Dracaena - Spikes Cornish Palm

New to this list:

- 2x Pinus thunbergii - Japanese Black Pine (4-6")
- 1x Cupressus Cashmeriana - Kashmir Cypress (Listed as 8b)
- 2x Sabal Palmetto - Cabbage Palmetto
- 1x Jubaea Chilensis - Chilean Wine Palm
- Phoenix Sylvestris - Silver Date Palm (Listed as 8b)
- 2x Ribbon Palm

I think that's it for now.

-Phil

o

Phil, your flowering trees are *gorgeous*!

o

I'm cleaning out an iris bed at one of the big wonderful historic houses in Waxahachie;
I have a big box full of historics & have just gotten started.

I drive by this house almost daily, & kept intending to stop & tell them how much I loved their irises & ask for a few...
but I never did, & now I can't remember the colors!

They're all oldies.

I'll bring a bunch to the swap.

o

Oh, I have one last plant that I need to give away, and its a bit larger.
It's a 3 yr old Olive tree/bush. I wont have room for it in my greenhouse this year, plus my wife wants her nice pot back to put something else in (I commandeered it when I got the olive).
It used to be a tree but got caught in one of the bad ice storms we had last year (I took it out of the greenhouse when we had a few nicer days) and it died to about 6" above the ground.
It has recovered nicely, but it has taken a bush like form, about 3-4 feet tall.
I will keep it in the pot until the day of, and then pull it out and wrap it in something like a black garbage bag or something.

So if you have the room in a sunny, but sheltered area or have large pots, let me know if you're interested!

o

me me me!

I've been wanting an olive tree but never thought they'd grow here (southern part of dfw).

I do have a sunny spot on the south side of the house, by the front door where the house itself shields it.

Would that work?

If so, what can I bring you?

o

I got a call from a dear woman who's no longer able to get down & dirty in the garden;
she wanted to donate her purple irises & yellow daylilies to the Waxahachie Swap.

so I dug up 2 big boxes & brought them to the swap, & of course there are still a ton of 'em left, which I"ll bring to the FW Swap.

She didn't know the names, but she planted them when she moved into her house 34 years ago.

I'll also have a bunch of bronzy/burgundy/green-leaved canna rhizomes or tubers that bear smallish orangey-red blooms.

& I'm not taking home anything that I bring, so y'all need to make room in your cars;
take out all those extraneous things like spare tires & such!

This post was edited by sylviatexas on Mon, Oct 20, 14 at 3:50

o

Okay I don't have any plumaria cuttings left, sorry. I'll have several aloe vera plants. I'm going to bring things in bags rather than pots cause I'm needing to keep the pots. is this going to be at our regular spot Sylvia?

o

Yes, it's at Trinity Parkon the east side of University just north of I-30.

From I-30, go north on University & turn immediately into the park at the very first entrance;
it's almost exactly opposite the entrance to the Rose Garden/Japanese Garden part of the Botanic Gardens.

Follow the trail around til you see us;
we try to get near the picnic tables at the very back, but sometimes the park is crowded & we have to set up closer to the street.

I can use as many aloes as possible, & if you need pots I can bring some, in various sizes (in bags is fine, I don't need the pots, as I'll take them to my cousin & we'll put several into each biggish pot.)

o

I pulled all the pups off my big aloe this morning and have sitting in water. There's about 20.

o

I pulled all the pups off my big aloe this morning and have sitting in water. There's about 20.

o

Yay!

I'd be grateful for all you can spare after you've taken care of everyone else who has asked for one/some.

talked to my cousin today, & she's got 2 more weeks of 5-days-a-week radiation remaining.

Her son did get her a big container of the clear aloe gel, but she says it doesn't work as well as the stuff from the actual plants.

She's used up her own aloe plants, & I took her my last 2 aloes today, so this will be a lifesaver!

Thanks so much!

forgot to say:

Please let me know what you'd like in return:
Although I'm out of aloes, I have lots of other things & would be very happy to bring you multiples of multiple items!

This post was edited by sylviatexas on Sun, Oct 26, 14 at 21:17

o

Yay! I'm going to be able to go the the swap! I have plenty of seeds and I'll try to make a list of some of the plants I can bring tonight.

Hi Darlene; I'm interested in your red hot poker if one is not spoken for. I can't remember if there was something from the last swap that you wanted that I said I had more of and could dig?

VoidWarhammer
I'm interested in the following if not spoken for
Albizia Julibriss Silk Tree
Mountain Ebony
Sickle Bush
Yellow trumpet tree
Koolaid bush
I love trying new things especially if they have pretty flowers

In return I could bring you some buckets of compost (just had a truck load delivered) or if you prefer I could buy some bags of soil from HD and/or Miracle Grow? Just let me know which you prefer and what would be fair to you.
Like you I run through pots like crazy so never have any spares.

Anyone have any interest in pond plants? I haven't divided any yet and won't take the time to do so right now if no interest.

Wants:
Brug cuttings
Confederate rose
tx natives/drought tolerant plants

o

Another updated list for this weekend:

sylviatexas:
Olive Tree
If you have just a little soil that would be great. Otherwise just glad to find it a good home. They do really well here acutally, but just don't like ice like from freezing rain. My parents have one up in Decatur, 7b, that dies to a couple inches above the ground and comes back every year for the last 4-5 years. They have horrid wind conditions up there though.
I am actually going to try to grow my parents another one. My mother got seeds from a trip to Israel at Gethsemane (Mount of Olives). Olives have a terrible germination rate, and I am not going to try until next summer, so we'll see.

Darlene:
- 5x Laburnum Anagyroides - Golden Chain Trees (6-8")
- 3x Acer Buergerianum - Trident Maple (4-6")
- 3x Brachychiton Bidwillii - Australian Little Kurrajong (possibly zone 8a). Showy orange-ish flowers in spring.
- 1x Albizia Julibrissin - Summer Chocolate Silk Tree (5")
- 10x Kunzea Baxteri - Baxter’s Kunzea (4"-6") Has similar fuzzy red flowers like the bottle brush tree/shrub, listed as zones 7-9.
- 2x Cussonia Paniculata - Mountain Cabbage Tree (4") Zone 9, needs to be in a pot. Popular bonsai tree.

abarbie4me2:
- 1x Albizia Julibrissin - Silk Tree (4-6") Only 1 now, daughter pulled one up out of the pot, broke at roots. :(
- 2x Bauhinia Hookeri - Mountain Ebony (9b - needs to be in a pot) Lovely white flowers in spring and tiny leaves.
- 2x Dichrostachys Cinerea - Sickle Bush (12") Listed as zone 8, small leaves, beautiful lantern-like flowers in spring, has thorns. I have mine in a large pot, over 5 ft. tall just this season.
- 2x Tecoma Stans - Yellow Trumpet Tree (2'-3') These are supposed to be the small tree variant (Tecoma stans var. angustata??) and not the shrub.
- 1x Psoralea Pinnata - Kool Aid Bush (10") Zone 9, needs to be in a pot. Have read that it will regrow from ground each year if frost hits it.

Any soils are appreciated.

Others I have available:

- 1x Vitex Agnus - Chaste Tree (8")
- 2x Cordyline Australis - Giant Dracaena - Spikes Cornish Palm
- 1x Eucalyptus Gunnii - Cider Gum (12"+)
- 1x Eucalyptus Globulus - Tasmanian Blue Gum (24")
- 4x Pinus Pinea - Italian Stone Pine (6"-10") Listed as 8b.
- 1x Quercus Robur Fastigiata - Upright English Oak Tree (8")
- 2x Pinus thunbergii - Japanese Black Pine (4-6")
- 1x Cupressus Cashmeriana - Kashmir Cypress (Listed as 8b)
- 2x Sabal Palmetto - Cabbage Palmetto
- 1x Jubaea Chilensis - Chilean Wine Palm
- Phoenix Sylvestris - Silver Date Palm (Listed as 8b)
- 2x Ribbon Palm
-1x Mystery Palm - really, I have no idea what it is. The seed casing is still in the pot, but I no longer have any other seeds that resemble it. They take such a ridiculously long time to germinate (one of the reasons I won't be growing anymore palms) that I think I threw all of the others away out of impatience.

-Phil

This post was edited by VoidWarhammer on Mon, Oct 27, 14 at 11:42

o

I walked around last night and here's a list of things I could dig if interested.
1 Beauty Berry
2 Mexican Plum trees
Ironweed
Brazilan Rock rose
1 tiny TX Mt laurel
1 small Boston fern
mints
Mexican Hydrangea
willow tree
inland sea oats
fall obedient plants
lyre leaf sage
dragon fruit cuttings
2 small oak trees
frostweed
Mexican Buckeye
Bush Morning Glory 1 tiny plant or cuttings
red cannas
2 diffferent bromeliads
pink skullcap cuttings
1 cholla cutting
Century plant babies
pencil cactus cutting
Native purple clematis plant or seeds
Dutchman's pipe plant or seeds
purple snapdragon vine
rootbeer plant Hoja Santa
fig cuttings

o

Ok, here's what I have down:

Sylvia:

Daylily
Aloes (I'm donating these to your cousin)

Voidwarhammer:

Potting Soil
Seed Starting Mix
Nursery Pots

PK:

Assorted cactus/cactus pads

Abarbie4me2:

Red Hot Poker

Would love either the tiny plant or cuttings of your bush morning glory

Looking forward to Saturday!

o

abarbie4me,
I would love to speak up for your Beauty Berry and a piece of Ironweed.

Is there anything on my list that you'd like? I too have pond plants, blue taro, green taro, horsetail rush, lizard tail, Black Gamecock Iris, Colorado water lily and some unknown iris and water lilies (yellow).

I also have scads of ajuga, blue spruce sedum and a couple of nicely rooted forsythias. I could dig red or pink turk's cap also if you want some of that.

Pam

o

Here's my list.
Please let me know if I've missed someone/something:

Marti wants pigeonberry, red spider lily.
Marti has hymenocallis, plumbago
(I know I haven't asked for these before, so if they're not available, nobody's fault but mine!)

Pam wants pigeonberry, needs to ask for something else!
Pam has water lily, taro, La iris.

Cheryl wants seed flats, fig.
Cheryl has aloe (thank you!), red buds.

Darlene wants Shasta daisy, rose cuttings.
Darlene has daylily, aloe (thank you!).

voidwarhammer wants pots, soil.
voidwarhammer has olive tree.

abarbie4me:
I can bring you a flame acanthus & a soft red salvia greggii & would like a century plant or so, or maybe some compost.

bringing these 'extras':
mixed historic irises
canna rhizomes: bronze/burgundy/green leaves, small species-type red flower
daylilies that are probably yellow
purple irises
lemon mint
vitex
Virginia creeper
Cashmere Bouquet (shade plant that has a boring mauve shaggy-chrysanthemum-looking flower & that spreads like a rumor: butterflies go crazy over it!)
Greg's blue mistflower
1 blue & 1 white salva sharing a pot
white datura.

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone!

o

ok adding to my list to bring

voidwarhammer - compost
Darlene - Bush Morning Glory, I'll bring both the plant and cuttings.
getting red hot poker
Sylvia - Century plants
salvia greggi sounds great
Pam - Beauty Berry and Ironweed
would like Gamecock iris and pink turks cap

You don't have any pickerelweed do you? Last winter is the first year I've completely lost mine.

o

abarbie4me,
My neighbor has pickerel weed, I bet I can get a piece :-)

o

Sylvia,

Can I please have some of your lemon mint? Please!

Thanks,

o

yep!

o

Since we have pond folks on here I decided to start working on my ponds to see what I could get done.
1 Star of Siam Tropical water lily
2 orangish miniature water lilies
several pink water lilies(have no idea of name)
sweet flag

That's as far as I got today after work .

o

abarbie4me2, I may be interested in one of the mini orange water lilies, have to ask the wife though.
I will have a few pond questions for people, as we have a small goldfish pond that has had plants for a few years, and they have never bloomed. :(
Some type of Louisiana purple water Iris. Gets a lot of brown on it all year long. I put water plant pellets in it's soil, I add potassium and other minerals directly to the water (Seachem products), but nothing seems to keep it green, or make it bloom. :(

o

Hi y'all. Looks like everyone has been busy getting ready. I've been sick as a dog and didn't know if I was going to be able to come. But I started feeling better Tuesday and if that continues, I'll be there.

Pam, I've got to run some errands today. If I still feel good when I get home, I'll see if I can get that lily out of the pond. I've also got a Rhonda Kay which is a tropical lily, blue, but overwinters for me just fine. It's blooming now so I know which one it is, if you want one.

I'm not sure what you got from Cheryl, but it sounds interesting. Spring obedient plant looks exactly like fall obedient plant.

Seamommy, if no one else has claimed it, I'd like a cardinal plant. I've got some black plastic pots for trade.

dcarpenter, can I plant a Texas Star Hibiscus seed now and it will grow? Or would it have to be started in a pot? I'll trade for Mexican Poinsettia. If we get a frost between now and Saturday, the plants will die, but I'll bring lots of seeds.

Here's what I have down for sure:

To Sylvia:
Day lily, plumbago and white bog spider lilies for pigeonberry & red spider lily

To Pam/pkponder:
Texas Dawn (if I can get it out) for spring obedient plant

To dcarpenter/Darlene:
Mexican poinsettia for Texas Star hibiscus seeds.

I'll bring a couple of six packs of bottled water, and bananas.

And the other stuff I still have and will bring:
Land plants:
Two blue vitex seedlings
Small plumbago
Two good sized confetti lantana (they didn't like being dug up)
One Texas ash seedling
Chinese star jasmine (Jasminum polyanthum), white bloom
Pond & bog plants:
White Spider lily (Hymenocallis liriosme)
Bog sage (Salvia uliginosa)
Butterfly blue pincushion plant (Scabiosa)
Seeds
Liatris, if anyone is interested. They are hard to grow from seed, at least for me, yet I've had a couple of seedlings pop up around it.
Mexican poinsettia if anyone is interested
Purple coneflower if anyone is interested

Want list:
Blackfoot daisy
Bluebonnet seeds

This post was edited by marti8a on Fri, Oct 31, 14 at 16:57

o

Marti, I didn't find seeds on the spring blooming obedient plant, but I'll bring some red spider lilies for you. I'm fine with or without the Texas Dawn or Rhonda Kay. I think I have RK (or another fragrant blue tropical) but mine didn't bloom this summer.

Everyone, the signs will be bright yellow and I'll try to make the arrows point the way :-)

abarbie4me, my neighbor has been gone all day and I didn't get the pickerel weed. I hope she will be home tomorrow when I get home from work.

I forgot that I have hardy plumbago, a nice shady spot ground cover. I'll dig some last minute and bring it along.

My grandkids and daughter may come with me, which means that I won't be able to take much back home. I hope that there are some new gardeners to take the 'leftovers' LOL!

Seamommy, I just dug the white brug, it has more roots than I thought and will need to be potted up soon. I put it in a 3 gallon pot, but you know how big those roots get in sand. It is crowded.

See y'all on Saturday
Pam

o

Pam, don't worry about the spider lilies, Sylvia is giving me some. I never did get the Texas Dawn out. I pulled on the pot and of course it wanted to bring everything at that end of the pond. If you don't mind waiting, I plan on pulling everything out next spring and repotting it all. I'll put a marker in the pot tomorrow so I'll know which one it is.

o

Sylvia, Pam's post made me look to see if I specified what kind of plumbago I have, and it too is the ground cover variety I think. It's never gotten more than 4 inches tall. Do you still want it?

o

Definitely!

That's what I was thinking it was!

o

Marti8a,

I have so many seeds that you can try it both ways!

Abarbie4me2,

If no one speaks up for the Star of Siam lily, may I please have it? I will try and look around this afternoon and see if I can come up with something else for you. Are you looking for anything specific?

Thanks.

o

Seamommy, do you have a manfreda (false aloe)? I bought one this summer, babied it through the summer and it looked fine, and now it looks like it's a goner.

abarbie4me, I have quite a few Texas natives. Is there anything in particular you want? I don't want to dig up stuff no one wants.
Salvia greggii, fall aster, blue mist, columbine and now I'm drawing a blank. Oh, and I noticed some teeny flame acanthus in the pot. Sylvia's are probably bigger.

This post was edited by marti8a on Fri, Oct 31, 14 at 16:30

o

Darlene, if it's not too late for you, I'd like to have a red hot poker.

o

Hi Marti8a,
Thanks
I have most of those. What I'm missing are
standing Cypress
Baptisia bracteata laevicaulis or leucophaea
Aristolochia erecta/longiflora pipevine
Matelea biflora Purple Star Milkweed Vine
Mountain pink
Mentzelia decapetala
Talinum calycidum - fameflower
calico vine
claret cup cactus
strawberry cactus
Barbaras buttons
blue eyed grass
the native verbena
prairie hycanth

oh and i'm trying to find a red passion vine.

I know all of these are a long shot :-)

o

Trying to get stuff in the greenhouse tonight. So not ready to do that

o

Whew! Everything's in the truck and I mean it's full!

I added the Star of Siam water lily for Darlene
Orangish water lily for voidwarhammer

o
RE: WANTED: Trade Lists Ft Worth Autumn Swap November 1 201

Marti, all I have is regular aloe, but you're welcome to a few. I was looking at the weather and it looks like it'll be chilly tonight (37°) but things should be OK to stay out of the greenhouse. Im not looking to get a bunch of stuff in trade i just need to downsize a bit. I'll see y'all tomorrow.

o

I'm all happy anticipating seeing everyone again & meeting new friends.

Bring your jackets!

see y'all tomorrow!

o

abarbie4me, not a longshot at all. It's the wrong time of year for some of those, but next spring give me a shout and you can come get standing cypress and blue-eyed grass, I may have some prairie verbena blooming right now. I'll try to remember to look tomorrow before I leave and if so, I'll dig up one if Sylvia won't mind a later start.

Link me to the native hyacinth you want. I might have it.

seamommy, thanks but I don't have house plants because of dh. Any idea how I can save this one?

What time is everyone planning on arriving tomorrow?

This post was edited by marti8a on Fri, Oct 31, 14 at 21:20

o

abarbie4me2
I have a weak spot for passionvines and have many different types. Currently growing 2 different types of red.
Passiflora Coccinea - even though it says zone 10 mine had been in ground for 4 years. Comes back from root every year, grows to about 20 ft. but hardly ever blooms.
Passiflora Vitifolia 'Scarlet Flame' - this is the one I would suggest. Most passionvines don't bloom much in heat, but this did quite well. Bloomed steady in the summer, and going nuts right now. I grew this from seed this last winter in my greenhouse, so I have no idea if it will regrow from the roots if planted outside. This will be mines first season. I will bring a fresh cutting in a rockwool cube.

I am only able to come for a few hours tomorrow morning. Should be there about 930ish to about 11 or noon.
I better get out there tonight and load the car up!

o

I'm a very excited first timer and have a few plants to offer for swapping. Does anyone know the name of the image attached? I have plenty of those to offer. Also some Red Yucca seeds I planted a few weeks ago are sprouting (about 2 inches tall now). I also have English and Pothos Ivy cuttings.

I would love to have some Eucalyptus Gunnii

o

PositiveOne2014

I have one large one left. I already had it packed up in my car to bring if anyone wanted it, but will have your name on it.

o

Thank you so much VoidWarHammer :-) I'm so excited about it. I was just about to order starter seeds for it. Have you ever seen it flower?

o

Marti, I have a manfreda for you.

I'm feeling under the weather this morning, so I'll see you all at 10 and I don't think I'll hang out for the potluck.

o

Yikes, Pam, I hope you get to feeling peppier!

Note to "Swappers":

Directional signs won't be up til Pam gets to the swap, so just turn east into the park across from the entrance to the Japanese gardens/rose gardens, & follow the little road until you see us!

If you get lost, please call 2one4nine80fivefour96.

See ya in the park!

o

Trinity park is closed for a marathon or something so stand by

o

We are parked in the botanical gardens at the glass building until sylvia gets here. Main gate or 2nd left into botanical gardens

o

Abarbie4me2. I'm here. I just drove to the side of the barricade. Lots of people in the parking lot. Cops didn't say anything to me.

o

Or u can come in through the will Rodgers road on down from the botanical gardens.

o

Go past trinity park and take a right on crestline 2nd light. Go left into the school parking lot. The is a heritage event at the bg so we moved to here.

o

Golly, what a great day!

Many many thanks to Darlene for setting up in "our" regular spot!

We had a really good mixture of "charter members" & newcomers, & we even highjacked a bicyclist & gave her a bunch of plants.

I know my cousin will be thrilled with the aloes, & I'll find out what Nazzi (sp?) can do for Sydney, the woman who donated the daylilies & irises.

Although Sydney didn't ask for anything but a good home for her plants, Nazzi kindly, thoughtfully, & generously offered to knit something for her!

Thanks to all who came, & I look forward to seeing you all, Jill (bicyclist) included, in the spring!

o

Sorry about all of the confusion this morning, but we all found each other and had a great time. I came home with some wonderful plants and other stuff AND gave away most of what I brought,so John was happy.

And You bet I'm gonna baby that red Passion vine cutting!

:-)

o

Thanks for setting it up Sylvia. I've been out for the last hour or so planting things. Now if it will just stay nice for a little while and let them get started.

o

I just came in the house. I'm so tired. Cynthia, Auggie and I had a great time. Loved meeting new people. I definitely came home with a truckload of goodies. Thank u John and nice man in the park for helping us load up. Can't wait for the spring swap.

o

That was a lot of fun. Now that I have a place to find homes for plants, I can plan on what to germinate for the next one! Time to break out the seed trays and warming mats!

abarbie4me2 - I forgot to tell you, keep the cuttings warm and in bright shade, not direct sunlight, until they get their roots in. Direct sun will cause them to wilt too fast before they have a chance to come in.

Thanks again everyone!

-Phil

o

I had a great time! Thank you again Sylvia for organizing the swap :-)

It is great to see all of our new swappers. I will bring more plants to the spring swap to help fill up those new gardens.

Phil, about the Louisiana Iris that is yellowing, how deep are the rhizomes located? I keep mine with wet 'feet' or rhizomes and dry 'shoulders' or fans. I use a lot of cinderblocks as plant stands in the ponds to raise the plants. It's pretty normal to have some die off of the older leaves. They will look pretty ragged by the time spring rolls around. Just cut or pull off anything past it's prime that you don't want to look at. It will push up new leaves, green and fresh.

o

Did anyone take pictures? I was going to and then completely forgot.

o

Not me, I left my phone in the car. I also intended to get pictures!

o

pkponder

Maybe mine are too deep in the water. The rhizomes are about 4-6 inches below the surface. It's mainly just the tips, about 2 inches, of the leaves that turn brown, like all of them. It's on a cinderblock already, but maybe I need to put something else under it to raise it up a bit more.
Can't hurt to try.

One more question, whats a good media to use for repoting pond plants? I know both of mine came with the "sludge" type stuff in the pots but I don't recall seeing that type for sale anywhere. Any places around Ft. Worth that sell it? Or just the technical name of it so I can google around. Or maybe there's something better to use?

Thanks again,
Phil

o

Phil, I use pea gravel or ordinary garden soil, clay is the best, topped off with gravel or larger rocks for aesthetic reasons. If the tips are browning, it could be overfertilization. You did mention a lot of fertilizers. They sound as if they are too deep, raise them a bit so that the roots are in the water and the leaves are above.

Don't overlook the power of our hot sun...sometimes plants just crisp up because they are as unhappy in the heat as we are :-) I always like the fall 'renewal' when temps cool down and we get a burst of healthy green growth.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Texas are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here