Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: San Antonio Swap continued....

Posted by rock_oak_deer 8a TX (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 21, 12 at 10:03

Continue swapping on this thread

The swap is Saturday, October 13, 2012

Rogiers Park, 209 Pleasant Dr., Balcones Heights, Texas

Time: 9:00 am til noon(ish) I will be there at 8:00 am to hold the pavilion and would love company from any early birds out there.

Ragna/Roselee has generously invited us to tour her beautiful garden right after the swap. This is a special treat so we hope you get a chance to to stop by.

Bring a snack or lunch and a drink. I will bring plates, cups, napkins, and utensils for sharing desserts.

The pavilion is free so any donations are used for supplies.

We look forward to meeting all the new swappers and seeing our friends from past swaps too.

--Shirley

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: San Antonio Swap continued....

Additional info for swap preparations:

The pavilion is a bit of a walk from the street so if you have a wagon or cart bring it to help with carrying your stuff. If not, several of us will have one you can borrow.

Table space is limited so we could use a few extra portable tables.

o

Hello all,

I just found this plant swap forum. I am a startup gardener, I have the following plants/seeds to share.
- Papaya plants - 4
- Curry leaf plant 1
- Seeds � Okra, Ridge gourd, bottle guard.

Here are my wants. If you would like anything from my �haves� to swap, please post or email me. I did not try to keep track of what has already been spoken for, so if some of these are gone, that�s okay.
roselee:
� Mrs. Dudley Cross, La Marne, Valentine and any other type of rose plants
� Uncle Naps honey fig cuttings
dstartz:
� 'Snow Queen' hibiscus
texaspinkpixie:
� hibiscus �red disco flame'
� rose of sharon - white with red heart
� apache blackberry
� powder blue blueberry
� Peach
� lemon 'myers'
nbtonya:
� Pavonia rock rose
mamachile:
guava plant

Thanks,
GardenLover1

o

Welcome GardenLover1! We look forward to meeting you at the swap.

o

Shirley
Thank you for all the info with this plant swap event. Very much appreciated. I got my husband Mike looking for stuff in the garage to take for swap on that day. He said he wanted some plants for his new xeriscape garden. I have very little idea what they are other than sage bush, yucca and cacti. May be you or others have something to offer him.

GardenLover1: one guava plant for you, checked. A friend gave two plants to me last year. I brought them in the garage during cold nights below 45 degrees otherwise they like morning sun. They were flowering in the spring and had some fruits. There is still one left on a branch, hope the wind won't blow it away.

Mamachile (mizan)

o

mamachile, I do have some extra agave pups I can bring and cactus pads will root easily so I will pull a few and bring those.

o

Oh yes Shirley, Mike would love to have some of those agave pups and any kind of cacti. Thank you.

o

Gardenlover1,
Gotcha down for a pavonia rock rose! Look forward to meeting you.

Tonya

o

Mamachili, I will bring you cactus!
1 guave for me please.
Tally HO!

o

I'm here, just did't have much to say yet! I do plan to come, and a friend who's just starting out with a clean slate of full-sun yard will probably come with me :) We both have to leave by 11am. I know she's looking for some kind of evergreen full-sun vine to cover her fence (is creeping fig evergreen?), and I doubt she has anything to trade.

I walked around the yard this weekend and noticed I actually have a couple things to share:
HAVE:
- 5 pups of Mangave Macho Mocha (http://www.yuccado.com/x-mangave-macho-mocha.html)
- 5 or so self-rooted starts of pink fall-blooming trumpet vine
- 4 extra cilantro seedlings
- lots of plastic pots of all sizes (4" to gallon or bigger)
- a box of junk for Patty and anyone else ;)
- rose cuttings
- abelia cuttings (just had a growth spurt after the rain)

If you'd like any of those things, these are the things I'm interested in:
WANT:
- pavonia/rock rose (kathy or tonya, anything I could trade for yours?)
- salvia (patty, shirley, tonya?)
- santolina (shirley?)
- cold-hardy agave, aloe (wantonamara or shirley?)
- shrimp plant (roselee?)

I'll always take cast iron plant or any other dry shade plants you need to get rid of ;)

Can't wait to see y'all, and I'd love to tour Rosalee's garden later in the afternoon!

o

Meredith,

I can bring you a rock rose. Which salvias are you interested in? What roses do you have?

Tonya

o

Hi Meredith, I think I'll have some shrimp plants if the cuttings I started a couple of weeks ago root. We'll talk about a trade when I see you.

We'll be happy to welcome your friend. I'm glad to hear that you'll be coming over to my place after the swap.

Everyone at the swap is invited. Email me through my page so I'll get an idea of how many to expect.

o

Hi Meredith, it will be fun to see you and meet your friend.

The creeping fig is evergreen but it does need regular water and shade. I can bring one for her but that doesn't seem like the best plant for her spot. I planted a native evergreen vine last week and I'll get the name. It won't be ready for cuttings until next spring though.

I will bring several salvias and santolina for each of you, need to see exactly which ones take root. I have one agave pup left so I'll mark it for you.

o

Thank you mamachile for guava, and nbtonya for Pavonia rock rose. If you need anything from my list, please let me know.

I'll bring chips to share with you all at the swap. If anyone can share any type of rose plant or hibiscus plant, please keep me posted.

Gardenlover1.

o

Hey Meredith! I picked up some salvias from lowes that appear o like May Night and salvia farinacea. The farinacea I'm iffy about but would you like one or two for a trumpet vine
Mamachile: I got a claret cup cactus (echinocereus triglochidiatus) that's cold hardy and would look good in a cactus garden. Do you have a grapefruit or lemongrass left that I could.trade you for?

o

Meredith,

I can bring you a rock rose. Which salvias are you interested in? What roses do you have?

Tonya

o

Shirley and Roselee: thanks!

Phoenix: sure, I'll trade you for a trumpet vine. It's the pink fall-blooming one, much less aggressive than the regular trumpet vine. Usually freezes to the ground in winter, but last year we didn't get cold enough so it just kept growing!

Tonya: I like all kinds of salvias :) I could bring you an extra yellow pear tomato I grew from Sylvia's seeds - they're little yellow tomatoes the size of cherry tomatoes, but they're pear-shaped. If you want rose cuttings, I'll be pruning Old Blush, Mme. Antoine Mari, Mme. Alfred Carriere, Champney's Pink Cluster, Archduke Charles, Souv. de la Malmaison, Duchesse de Brabant, and Mons. Tillier. Just let me know what you'd like!

o

Beachplant, one guava for you. Thanks for a cactus.

o

Phoenix7801, yes I have one grapefruit left just for you and ...too many lemongrass. I would like that cactus you have please.Thanks.

o

Hi Meredith,

I will bring you a selection of salvias. If there are any left to dig up will bring those and cuttings of others.

I think I would like to try cuttings of Old Blush, Mme. Antoine Mari, Souv. de la Maison, Duchesse de Brabant and Mons. Tillier.

Tonya

o

Okie dokie...mamachile gets the cactus for a grapefruit and meredith you're getting salvias for a pink trumpet vine. Would anyone be interested in an ibervillea lindheimeri aka balsam gourd? Its more of an oddity in that its got a big caudex root that can be raised over time.

o

I so want a purple cactus pad. Anyone have any?

o

I want broccoli, kale, cabbage, or cauliflower plants.
I have various veggie seeds to exchange and other plants I've posted under leapingfroglady.

o

Pat, I'll be bringing some purple cactus pads for you and others who may want them. Incidentally, they are pretty much green with just a little purple edge until they are stressed by cold weather or not watered.

o

hahah...I wondered why no one was posting this close to the swap...new thread...well duhhh :)

gardenlover1 - I can bring those for you. I will stick cuttings in to root and will bring them in what ever state of rooting they are in. The exception may be the myers lemon as I will have to see if there is enough material left to make cuttings (had a bunch of online traders ask for this). Do you still have a curry leaf plant available?

mamachile - I have a bunch of cacti I could bring starts of for trade. The picture above is from my dragonfruit vining cactus that just started blooming again and the blooms are bigger than a softball.It is not cold hardy but many people grow it as a house plant.

Also, I dug up an agave I have had for a while (wide spread and toothy with a pinkish color in the center...I will take a pic and see if I can find the tag or id online) to transplant to the new property and discovered she had 8 pups under the mulch. Anyone who wants one is welomed to one.I just potted them up this afternoon

Hi Meriberi! Wondering if I have anything of interest to trade for your Mangave Macho Mocha pup. I have a coral nymph salvia, chiquita salvia, 2 century plant pups, 8 toothy agaves (described above and will get a pic and id posted asap)and I am wracking my brain. I do have a santolina plant as well as the things listed in the previous post. Let me see what salvias I can ferret out around these parts...any particular color? For your friend, would she be interested in texas primrose jasmine/ Mine usually stay pretty leaf-y though the winter and the woody mat of vines covers an occludes any view even when the leaves are sparse.

o

Rebecca -
Yes, I'd be happy to bring you a macho mocha! I'm so excited to finally have something to share! I like all kinds of salvias, as well as cold-hardy succulents, so pick what you want to get rid of the most ;) I'm sure my friend would appreciate the jasmine, too - thanks!

Tonya -
I'll definitely bring you those cuttings! They're starting their fall flush, so lots of new growth - hopefully good for making new plants.

Shirley -
On behalf of my friend, thanks for the salvia and santolina! Y'all are always so generous!

Thanks y'all!

o

Roselee, please add a purple cactus for me. Thanks!
Tally Ho!

o

I have some double- triple datura plants. Yellow, white, and purple with white and white with purple. I also will have hardy red oleander plants. I have bleeding heart plants. Does anyone want yellow milkweed plants? I think that is why I always have so many butterfiles around. The milkweed keeps the caterpillars off my passion vine. Barbra

o

I have some double- triple datura plants. Yellow, white, and purple with white and white with purple. I also will have hardy red oleander plants. I have bleeding heart plants. Does anyone want yellow milkweed plants? I think that is why I always have so many butterfiles around. The milkweed keeps the caterpillars off my passion vine. Barbra

o

Barbra I would like to try out some of the yellow milkweed if youre still offering

o

Barbra - yellow milkweed please. I'd like Datura also but need to know how to get it through the winter.

o

Thank you texaspinkpixie.
Now I would like to have whatever others are having. Hahaha.

My other haves to offer:
I have purple rose clippings, if anyone would like to try root them. I have a big bush that has been flowering non stop even in winter. It is probably the protection from the edge of the roof and my sprinkling rose miracle grow. I can bring some clippings on the day if any rose collector wants them to please let me know.

I also have one pomegranate (wonderful) to give. I started rooting it a few weeks ago and little new leaves have started forming. It's parent tree gave us bunches of juicy fruits this year.

o

Wonderful pomegranate picture

o

Wow mamachile I like the color on that rose. Can I have a few cuttings please :-D

o

The rose looks like it could be Angel Face. If it is it's very fragrant.

Here is a link that might be useful: Photo of Angel Face ...

o

Yes Phoenix 7801, I'll bring some for you. The color from my poor picture taking does not do justice. The first time I saw it bloomed I was so excited because of the fragrance. It has been flowering nonstop.

o

if anyone has the following figs I am looking for cuttings of these, and old aquariums, the guppies are gonna need an indoor home for the winter.
FIGS:
LSU purple
LSU gold
LSU tiger
Smith
O'Rourke
Nero
Peters honey
Purple passion
Marlane seedless
Hollier
Jacks quarter pounder
Alma
Creech family
or any that do well in the humid south
Tally HO!

o

Roselee, you are probably right about the angel face.

o

Tally - LSU purple, I can bring that one.

o

Thanks! I am planning on putting in fig trees at my brothers house.
Tally HO!

o

texaspinkpixie - Curry leaf plant is yours. Thanks for the cuttings. Is 'rose of sharon - white with red heart' hybiscus?

mamachile - What a beautiful color of that rose! Can I have a few cuttings please? Is there anything I can trade from my list for the pomegranate plant?

I want to add 'white jasmine' and 'star jasmine' to my wants list.

Thank you all for your generosity!
GardenLover1

o

Gardenlover1, I'll do 4 or more rose cuttings. How long? Would 12" do?
The pomegranate is yours. I'll have a few okra seeds if you have them please. And I also have jasmine polyanthum as well as indian jasmine if you want all of them you are welcome.

o

Meriberi, I have aloe grandidentata, aloe macrocentra, And gasteraloe aristata, They are fairly cold hardy. I throw a blanket over them when we get real cold. Several dug up Agave salmiana ferox ( a dark green VERY cold hardy agave. And agave protoamericana (fat leafed LARGE wirth crossbanding , I have one small agave ferdinad regis left.

I would like any macho mocha pups that you have left.

Honey bunny , I would like any of the yellow and purple daturas and a yellow milkweed. That would be cool. anything on my several list. Ant wants on your end???

Shirley, could you add some silver poneyfoot and and the black and blue salvia and white scutelaria to the mix. I will always take a rock!!

For those who want xeric plants just ask for blackfoot daisies, 4 nerve daisies. agarita, agaves or cylindropuntia . Just ask.

I want to add that I have some thai rat tailed radish seedlings (one eats the pods) I brought some in a salad to the last swap. I also have a lionitas menthafolia, Eupatorium havenense to add.

o

Gardenlover could I get a curry leaf plant?- Mara

o

mamachile - Sure, I'll bring some okra seeds for you. Yes, I like to have both jasmines please. 12" rose cuttings should be fine. I'll do online search to find how to root them. Thanks for the pomegranate plant too.

wantonamara: I have only one curry leaf plant and it has been asked already. If I get more, I'll certainly bring it to the next plant swap.

o

oops , snooze you loose. Oh well.

o

Hi Mara, I have another spare curry plant for you. I'll have whatever leftover xeriscape plant you have for my husband Mike. I know little of their names though. Now you can go snooze.

Gardenlover1: I made a mistake about the Indian jasmine. It is Arabian sambac actually. I'll still bring both for you. For rooting rose cutting try look for scvrs.homestead.com. Kitty Belendez wrote a very good instruction on how to do it. However, my lazy side usually just stick it in the ground and say a little prayer.

o

Mara - White scullcap, ailver ponyfoot, Black and blue salvia. Got it. I'm bringing rocks too.

o

Mara - White scullcap, ailver ponyfoot, Black and blue salvia. Got it. I'm bringing rocks too.

o

Shirley, Did you want a a sharkskin agave , I forget. Also I dug up a surprise for your wildscape.

o
Place to Spend the Night

Since it's a 2+ hour drive for me to get to the swap I'm planning to drive up Friday night and spend the night in my camper. Does anyone know of a good place, close by, where I can park for the night?

o

Does anyone want any milk thistle. It is considered a invasive. I am ridding myself of them. They have not been a problem . But this last year some seeds came up from a plant planted 10 years ago before I knew it was an invasive. These rains have brought up 5. I also have the xeric called Broom Snakeweed or Gutierrezia sarothrae

Here is a link that might be useful: Broom snakeweed

o

It is Friday night . Are you leaving soon? I am leaving tomorrow at 6 inthe morning. I am of no help. I do not know SA well at all.

o

I thought the swap day is Saturday oct. 13th. Tomorrow is only the 6th. Please correct me.

o

Your right I am just in LA LA land. Confusion wraps itself around me thick and sticky sometimes. I am designing a house and I am doing measurements amd trying to stay on top of a mass of detail. This one got away from me. I am just glad I was set straight today and did not embarrass myself further. LOL

o

Dstartz, I think you can park on 151 crossroad blvd. it is near IH 410. Go on visitsanantonio.com to check that is it a park and ride lot near Firestone tire store and crossroad mall.

o

Aren't Walmart lots also a place that lets RVs park. I thought I heard something like that.

o

Yes I saw that Mara, Walmart on IH 10 Dezavala usually has a lot of big rvs. But crossroad blvd is just one block away from pleasant dr.

o

I just posted on the discussions forum about finding chilli thrips damage on some of the roses in my yard so I won't be bringing roses. Chilli thrips are known to affect other plants as well, but according to one report online only rose damage has been found in Texas private gardens so far, but if anyone would rather not do trades from other plants it's PERFECTLY OKAY. I have no problem with that. Read the thread, do some research, decide and let me know.

See you there ... :-)

Here is a link that might be useful: Chilli thrips in San Antonio thread ...

o

I just got back from the coast, it was 64 degrees there this morning. I have the milkweed for Phoenix, Shirely and Watnonamara, plus her datura plants. I have the GIANT red leaf crinium for Tally. Tally I brought two plants for you, hope you have room in your car. Tally, I also brought you one of the double/triple white datura plants. Everyone at the coast seem to like those the best, since they are not as common as the purple and yellow ones. Barbra

o

Mara, a sharkskin agave is great and I'm sure to love any surprise you dig up!

o

Thank you barbra

o
RE: All Trades Are OFF -- unless ...

Since no one has replied yay or nay on this forum to my query about whether to bring plants from my yard after I've discovered chilli thrips damage to my roses let me put it this way. (I think y'all are just being too nice to say you don't want my plants :-)

I'm NOT going to bring any plants -- ALL TRADES ARE OFF -- unless you specifically let me know you want them by replying either here or emailing me through my page. I'll just come and enjoy the fun without plants. Truly, I'm absolutely, totally and perfectly okay either way.

See you there!

Here is a link that might be useful: Please read the thread about chilli thrips ...

o
RE: WANTED: Spinosad ...San Antonio Swap continued....

If I bring any plants to the swap they will have been sprayed with Spinosad. See the link above for more information that was added this morning about this organic product.

o

I have a small dark blue agapanthus. If anyone wants it, speakup.

o

Ooh ooh ooh Kathy me me me. Can I have the agapanthus? I can trade you some crinum bulbs.

o

I will bring it for you. It is about the size of a green onion. I am not sure at what age it will bloom.
The hummingbirds love it.
I don't want anything in return. I really am trying to cut back. btw that pic. is the mother plant.

Kathy

o

Roselee, I will still take you up on the shrimp plants if any rooted, especially if you're able to spray them.

wantonamara, I'm especially interested in agave ferdinad regis, Agave salmiana ferox, and aloe grandidentata, but I'm happy to give any of those a home if you already have takers on these. I'll reserve the remaining macho mocha's for you!

Looking forward to it!

o

I have a vitex (small) tree that needs to come out. If anyone wants it, you will have to dig it out. It should come out fairly esy as it is in a raised bed, at a corner.

o

Meredith, thanks for letting me know. They've been sprayed once already with spinosad and I'll give them another spray before bringing them to the swap. Haven't read anything about chilli thrips liking them, but I want to be extra careful just in case.

Looking forward to seeing everybody!

o

I just bought a heavily pupped Agave X leopoldii, so one is up for trade.

Meriberi I also put a aloe greenlei Or greatheadi without spots, an aloe maculata in your box also with all that you asked for. The Ferdinand regis might be a she (victoria) these stores are awful in the labeling of these.

o

Mamachile, Man I can't read sometimes. I skipped where you said you had another curry plant for me.. I will make up a cool box of many Xerics , ie black foot daisies, 4 nerve daisy , bitter weed, Heteratheca villosa, agaves. would he like a agave that grows large ( A proto americana with crossbanded fatter than americana leaves)? otherwise it will be mid sized ones. the (salmiana/ferox 9 dark green silky smooth skin) and A lophantha ( the ubiquitous central texas variety). Does he want Prickly pear????? I have several varieties of the O macrocentra available and some larger white needled Opuntia englemanii

o

Mara, wantonamara! What a nice name. Mike would love to have that cool box of plants from you. Thank you.

Roselee, can I have that shrimp plant too? Thank you.

Look forward to meeting all.

o

Mara, he has that big agave already, the next door neighbor gave him one. He likes any kind of cacti. Do you have any barrel kind?

Roselee, would you like a tumeric plant to trade with your shrimp? Let me know I have another three pots. You can stir up curry leaves with tumeric in your cooking pot. What about lemon grass? I have 10 pots to give away.

o

sorry, no barrels they are very dear, I will see what kind of pads of opuntias that I can spare. usually I trim them in the spring. but I do have some that are good. One is an ugly pad but it will grow a good semi hairy cactus ( a straight needled opuntia scheerii (sp?)) gid I ask for lemongrass already?

o

Mara, no barrel no problem. Yes, I've got you checked for lemongrass, tumeric, and curry plant. If you have a lemon fruit and shrimp, you have a recipe for a pot of Thai soup.

I think i have too many lemongrass to give away. I will beg people to take them. Hahaha.

o

What , no chilis?

o

Yes a bunch of those fire chiles.

o

Thanks Barb! I can always make room for crinums, they are my main addiction.

Roselee, sorry about the bugs! I shall pass on plants this year, we don`t have enough freezing weather. I shall bring you plants however.

See ya`ll Saturday.
Tally HO!

o

I found some tropicana cannas does anyone want them? I also found a crape myrtle, I think it is red or dark pink? Barbra

o

Tally, thanks for letting me know your preference. I don't blame you for wanting to delay the introduction of chilli thrips as long as you can. I am happy to note that the new growth on the roses is looking good after spraying with spinosad. So at least we have something to use and it's organic too. Hopefully, in the near future there will be other organic remedies available.

Mamachili, I'd love to try tumeric and and lemon grass!

o

Mamachile, I have Cylindropuntia imbricata, a pad of Opuntia Santa rita "tubac"pad (It is a ugly pad due to me gettting at some bugs, No more bugs but white on one side) Opuntia scheerrii(long needled), Cylindropuntia whipplei,, Gutierrez sarothrae,bitterweed, Engelman daisy, Eupatorium havanense, Skelton daisy, Blackfoot daisy, coreopsis lanciolata.

o

Hello all ! I've been getting plants ready today for those I have previously emailed. My list is on the other post for those of you I haven't heard from. If you are interested in something from my list, please let me know so I can get it ready for you. I am not bringing everything on the list unless it's requested. Looking forward to meeting all the newbies !

patty

o

Tonya, can I trade with your baby kale, if you still have any please? I just went back and reread your 'have' post.

Donna (dstartz), are you still offering pecan nuts? I am interested. Please bring some for me.

You are all welcome to my trade lists ...lemongrass, tumeric, and purple pond iris.

o

Mara, I have no idea what those are but I don't mind anything from you. That ugly thing, I'll have that. No discrimination here. You guys are so generous and kind people. Thank you all.

o

we`re staying at the Sleep Inn. Last year when we went on vacation I joined every hotel chain frequent program I could find. Using their membership cards we get much better deals than I have found with any of the travel sites. It`s free to join. This stay will earn us a free night too.
See ya`ll Saturday. Plants are all in boxes, going to take cuttings this afternoon, pick up the rental car and get it loaded.
Tally Ho!

Here is a link that might be useful: hotel

o

Mamachile, I think I can spare a couple of kale.

Tonya

o

I posted some aloe pictures of the mothers that I took pups off f on the gallery for your viewing pleasure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aloe mothers

o

Bad news folks. I will be unable to attend the plant swap as my leave for that day was denied. For those who I was swapping with I apologize but I will save the plants for you until next time. Ill have more plants to swap by then also.

o

Tonya, thank you for the kale. You are welcome to any from my trade list.....lemongrass and purple pond Iris. If not you will get a surprise gift from me.

Beachplant, and GardenLover1, where are you driving from? Hope you have a big car to take your guava plant. Each is 5 feet tall in 15" pot and heavy! FYI because of the cool temperature earlier this week, the leaves have started falling and looking sad. So you know. And will stay dormant until the spring.

Have a safe trip.

o

Joey, sorry to hear that. We were looking forward to catching up with you. You will be missed (again).

I'll announce the spring swap in the next few weeks.

o

Hey Shirley I am putting a plug in that the Spring sale not be on April 12-14. Those are the dates of the Lady Bird johnson plant sale.

Here is a link that might be useful: LBJ Plant sale Calendar at bottom

o

That is also the days of the Cactus and Succulent sale in Austin. I know the world does not center around mebut I sure wouldn't mind if it did ....just a little.

o

Phoenix7801, sorry to hear that. I'll save your grapefruit and rose cutting till next time. I might just try root them for you.

o

Hey guys sorry I haven't been on here lately. But I will for sure be at the swap. Won't have much to trade, but looking toward to all the conversations. But I will have seeds to trade, and some other stuff.

o
dstartz's Swap List

I have finally stopped traveling and doing long enough to build my swap list. Please let me know if I've missed something.

dstartz - bringing:
Pride of Barbados, Red Yuccas and Mexican Buckeyes bromeliads, Hurricane lilies, carex (I think they're 'Frosted Curls'), rooting cuttings of 'Snow Queen' hibiscus, small Christmas cactus - Fuchsia, orange, white, peaches & cream, red and salmon pink, 2 year old amaryllis seedlings, sempervivum 'water gardens' & pecans.

rock_oak_deer:
carex
Want - natives; butterfly and hummer attractors; xeriscape; zone 7 cold hardy; roses

texaspinkpixie:
hurricane lilies,christmas cactus (white) and hibiscus 'snow queen'
Want - wavey thornless prickly pear, mint "mojito", mint chocolate

Rebecca/TexasPinkpixie
Hurricane lilies,Christmas cactus (white) and hibiscus 'snow queen'
Please remind me what the trade is. =\

beachplant:
1 amaryllis and any bromeliads
Want - Plumeria wave rage and a Plumeria lee langetti seedling

wantonamara
Mexican buckeyes and hurricane lillies (possibly pride of barbados &/or Sophora)
Want - Agave vilmoriniana and hardy ice plants

nbtonya:
Amaryllis
Silverbush (depends on what you have to swap)
Want - amaryllis for a Indigo spires salvia.

plantmaven:
I found a white and blue walking iris pup today, but the moon is terrible for me to clip it. Want it anyway?
I would love a yellow in swap ~IF~ you have one to spare.

GardenLover1:
'Snow Queen' hibiscus cuttings

Patty:
Hurricane lily, red yucca & sophora + garden stuff
Me:
rain lily pink & white, Duelberg salvia & ghost plant

o

Dstartz, I would like to trade with your pecans please.

Mike is 'baking' some rugala to share.

Look forward to meeting all.

o

Hi Everyone!
Really excited about the swap! I will be attending tomorrow until 11am as I cannot get the time off from work and Patty has agreed to manage any trades that are not completed by the time I have to leave. Looking forward to the meet up :)

Hi Barbra (honneybunny2),
I would love a tropicana canna if it is still available. I have some variagated shell ginger and/or some african butterfly iris I could trade or if there is anything of interest on my list (previous thread)I will see if I still have it.

o

Hi Everyone!
Really excited about the swap! I will be attending tomorrow until 11am as I cannot get the time off from work and Patty has agreed to manage any trades that are not completed by the time I have to leave. Looking forward to the meet up :)

Hi Barbra (honneybunny2),
I would love a tropicana canna if it is still available. I have some variagated shell ginger and/or some african butterfly iris I could trade or if there is anything of interest on my list (previous thread)I will see if I still have it.

o

mamachile , I had you in mind when I listed the pecans. ;->

o

Donna, thanks for the offer of the white and blue walking iris pup. Don't bother with it as Patty is going to give me some.
I will be happy to bring you a yellow one or 2.

Kathy

o

I'm glad you have one coming your way, Kathy!

Thank you for the offer. If you have one to spare I would love to add it to my garden. =)

o

Donna, I have Texas Betony, Bouteloua Gracilimas 'Blonde Ambition', Ruellia squarrosa which were not on my previous "haves" list if any of those interest you.

o

I am very interested in the "blonde ambition"

o

Mara, I already have one set aside for you! I have one more and since Donna hasn't selected from my list yet I was trying to add some things to the list.

o

I am plant ravenous and insecure, an embarrassing combination

o

Texas pinkpixie, I would love one of the vaiagated shell ginger, I love anything that is variagated. The last plant Albert gave me was a variagated oleander. I just love it!

I could also use one of the cilantro seedlings if they are still available.

Does anyone grow orchids? I just cannot grow them, they are too fussy. Barbra

o

LOL! Mara, I wrote about the "Blonde Ambition" on a thread way back in the spring and you spoke up right away for when I had extras you wanted one. That I actually remembered it is amazing in itself. It's more of a wildscape plant which will work well in your garden.

o

Hi Donna,

I have discovered that what I thought were indigo spires babies are actually salvia coccinea "dreamsicle" so all I can bring are cuttings of the indigo spires. If you are not interested, no problem. Someone else can have the amaryllis that was the trade. Also, I am not bringing anything that was not on my previous list, so I will pass on the silberbush, as well. Thanks anyway!!

Let me know if you want indigo spires cuttings. I put some in water about a week ago or can bring fresh cut, if you are interested.

Tonya

o

rock_oak_deer, I have 2 of the 3, so I'll gladly trade for the "Blonde Ambition". Thanks!

Tonya, I'll give the spires from a week ago a whirl. Thanks!

o

Donna, the ornamental grass 'Blonde Ambition' is yours.

o

FYI I will not be there. I have surprise out of town company.

o

Gonna miss you Kathy! Is anyone headed your way that I can send your stevia with for you?

Tonya

o

Also meant to say, Donna, I will bring those indigo spires cuttings from last week.

I will not get there until closer to 10:00 but will see you all then!

Tonya

o

Send it home Barbra aka honeybunny. She lives close to me.

Thanks

o

Sure will Kathy, enjoy your company!

Tonya

o

Kathy, we'll miss seeing you! Have a good weekend.

o

GUYS & GALS, I am packed again and ready to go again. The coffee machine is loaded . Now the alarm clock.

I am sorry I will not see you Kathy.

o

Hi all!!!
I had a great time and in doing so I managed to leave the box of cacti Tally brought me. Tony said everyone cleared out and I was wondering if anyone grabbed it to save it for me??? I will come pick our up where eve out is if so. Thanks for the wonderful swap!!!

o

I have it up here in Dripping Springs . I was the last to leave. Are you going to visit your aunt? I go to Wimberley on Monday Evenings and wednesday if that is more convenient.
Mara

o

Great swap everyone! I had a wonderful time renewing old acquaintances and making new ones. Thanks so much for the wonderful plants!

Thanks, Ragna, for the wonderful garden tour! You are an inspiration!

Tonya

o

Hello Everyone,
Just a short note to say thanks for a great day at the plant swap. This was our first time there and we had a wonderful time. We met a lot of really nice people with lots of knowledge about plants and gardening. We look forward to the next swap.
Mizan and Mike

o

Hello Everyone,
Just a short note to say thanks for a great day at the plant swap. This was our first time there and we had a wonderful time. We met a lot of really nice people with lots of knowledge about plants and gardening. We look forward to the next swap.
Mizan and Mike

o

Thank you, one and all, for making my trip to San Antonio so very worth the time and expense. A special thanks to Ragnaa and her husband for opening their garden and their home to all of us and for being such warm, delightful and wonderfully engaging hosts.

As I wrote on my Facebook page this evening,

"I have the good fortune to know an incredibly diverse group of people and in each group there are some really caring, loving, giving people, but gardeners/garden geeks/plant lovers/call them what you may have to be the most consistently friendly, giving, sharing group of people I've ever had the good fortune to meet."

Y'all were my inspiration and I am grateful to have been able to spend today with y'all.

BTW While I was in San Antonio today the zombie gnomes roamed the streets of Corpus Christi...

o

Thank you thank you thank you but must you, collectively, make me work so hard? I have to get that cursed pick and shovel out and tear in to the earths crust again. It bodes to being a long long day of many delights.

It was so cool to meet you all. What a diverse group of generous people and . WHAT A HOOT! Great to meet the newbies.Great to see your garden Roselee, I have ascertained that your Hill county cr@p is indeed much better than my hill county cr@p. Caliche does vary in its fertility. It gives me hope.

o

Hi Everyone!!!

Thanks so much for the wonderful swap!!! I had a lot of fun visiting with everyone and wished I had more time. I am so delighted with all my new plant babiesand really look forward to more swaps to come!

o

Omg, I had a look at Mike's newly adopted collection of cacti, succulents and xeris, they humbled me and cannot say thank you enough to all. We are indeed so grateful and will think of everyone's generosity whenever we see these beautiful plants grow and having babies of their own in the future.

Wait a minute..I think.. I found two barrel pups!!!, ..There's no name. Mike doesn't know who gave them but thank you 'a barrel load'

Special thanks to Roselee and her husband who let us see your amazing garden. What a treat really.

Hope to see you guys next time.

Mizan

o

I have a favor to ask. I cataloged the plants I got yesterday so that I'll know what I have when I lose the tags (sigh), plus I'll be able to continue to know from whom they came.

Could I get you to peruse the blog and tell me if I have the info about your plants listed accurately, please?

Many thanks!

Donna

o

Yes, we surely had a good time -- didn't we!!! Thank you all for the comments above.

In case you're not convinced see the photos that were just posted to the Texas Gallery.

Here is a link that might be useful: San Antonio Plant Swap and Garden Visit Oct. 2012 photos ....

o
Help Me Identify These, Please

I got these plants at the swap and they had no identifying tag &/or name tag. Since I could only get Patty to check out the blog I'm bringing the photos to y'all. Won't you help me identify them?

Ruby CrystalsOrange MintUnknown Plant
Blackfoot DaisyUnknown PlantDouble/Triple Yellow Datura
Gomphrena 'Little Grapes'Gerber DaisiesSalvia Regla
Sedum palmeriReceived after the swapCan you tell me the names of these plants?

o

The third plant on the top row in the freezer bag is Salvia chiquita. It is cold hardy , xeric once established, give it afternoon shade, am sun. I think I had some in afternoon sun and morning shade. I keep it on a flat area, because it does seed out quite a bit if you are on hill country limestone. People on clay do not have this problem. Beautiful 2' blooms that bees and butterflies fight over

Blackfoot daisy is from me, I think.

The Next plant in square 4" pot is Phlox pilosa, I think. Takes sgae and sun, will spread. I have it under an Oak tree on the east side and it is spreading out to the sun and further inro the shade. Great dry shade gound cover. I never water it.

Salvia regla is from me also. It like shade and sun also . t is cold hardy and . Mine got to be 8 ' but I had to cut it back and now it is a very bushy 3'. It is a Big Bend sage , probably from the wetter mountain canyons. I like planting it where it gets afternoon light from the rakingsun in the fall because it will be starting to bloom really soon and it is such a treat when the setting sun hits it in the otherwise shady area. It LIGHTS UP. the blooms are timed with the hummingbird migration.

Sedum palmeri is from me also. It will root easily . No hormone , no water, just stick it in the ground. It can take fast draining. It is hardy to 0 they say. Mine lived through the freeze and THE BIG D without water. It looked like hell but came right back.

I think you got the first of the two Agave , The agave univittatta AKA Agave lophantha from Gardenlover1 after the swap on roselees "parking lot". This is a whole family of agave and are a very confusing trying to tell which is which because their is a high amount of variability and intergrading between species.

I got a triple Datura that looked like yours from Mamachile.

Hey, Dona, Rebecca was telling me you were having expensive well drilling bid . If you want to talk to me about Rainwater harveting, feel free to email me. My email is listed on my page. We are 100% dependent on rainwater.

Mara

o

Hi Donna,
It is a very good idea to do what you are doing, to be able to identify those plants and who they are from. Mike and I have too many given but have no idea from whom except those with name tags on them. Our senior moment is catching up on us.

Mara, that Datura plant is not from mamachile, I think it could be from Honeybunny? And the last two agaves are from Arshi Khu because we got one like that from her car trunk at Roselee's front street parking.

I am looking forward to the spring swap and thinking of sprouting some Japanese cucumber to give away. I guess I will have to start indoor-seeding for them to be ready.

o

Barb brought the datura.

Thanks everyone for a great time! The cupcakes and other goodies were yummy, it was so much fun to meet everyone and talk politics, cactus and weirdness. Thanks to Bob and Ragna for hosting us in the garden and the chance to meet the turtles. We`re looking forward to the spring swap. Jim is already planning a trip to Rebeccas to fill the car with rocks.
Tally Ho!

o

the unknown crinum is crinum `milk and wine`. Also known as ditch lilies. These grow at the cemetary and the city mows them down. 2-3` on average, gray-green messy foliage, leaves are long and thin. Flower spike has trumpet shaped flowers,white with deep pink streaking. Full sun, drought tolerant and tolerates flooding, including full submersion in salt water for days. A very tough plant!
Tally HO!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Texas are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here