Houzz Logo Print
rock_oak_deer

WANTED: San Antonio Swap continued....

rock_oak_deer
11 years ago

Continue swapping on this thread

The swap is Saturday, October 13, 2012

Rogiers Park, 209 Pleasant Dr., Balcones Heights, Texas

Time: 9:00 am til noon(ish) I will be there at 8:00 am to hold the pavilion and would love company from any early birds out there.

Ragna/Roselee has generously invited us to tour her beautiful garden right after the swap. This is a special treat so we hope you get a chance to to stop by.

Bring a snack or lunch and a drink. I will bring plates, cups, napkins, and utensils for sharing desserts.

The pavilion is free so any donations are used for supplies.

We look forward to meeting all the new swappers and seeing our friends from past swaps too.

--Shirley

Comments (129)

• castro_gardener
    11 years ago

Hello all ! I've been getting plants ready today for those I have previously emailed. My list is on the other post for those of you I haven't heard from. If you are interested in something from my list, please let me know so I can get it ready for you. I am not bringing everything on the list unless it's requested. Looking forward to meeting all the newbies !

patty

• mamachile
    11 years ago

Tonya, can I trade with your baby kale, if you still have any please? I just went back and reread your 'have' post.

Donna (dstartz), are you still offering pecan nuts? I am interested. Please bring some for me.

You are all welcome to my trade lists ...lemongrass, tumeric, and purple pond iris.

• mamachile
    11 years ago

Mara, I have no idea what those are but I don't mind anything from you. That ugly thing, I'll have that. No discrimination here. You guys are so generous and kind people. Thank you all.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

we`re staying at the Sleep Inn. Last year when we went on vacation I joined every hotel chain frequent program I could find. Using their membership cards we get much better deals than I have found with any of the travel sites. It`s free to join. This stay will earn us a free night too.
    See ya`ll Saturday. Plants are all in boxes, going to take cuttings this afternoon, pick up the rental car and get it loaded.
    Tally Ho!

Here is a link that might be useful: hotel

• nbtonya
    11 years ago

Mamachile, I think I can spare a couple of kale.

Tonya

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I posted some aloe pictures of the mothers that I took pups off f on the gallery for your viewing pleasure.

Here is a link that might be useful: Aloe mothers

• phoenix7801
    11 years ago

Bad news folks. I will be unable to attend the plant swap as my leave for that day was denied. For those who I was swapping with I apologize but I will save the plants for you until next time. Ill have more plants to swap by then also.

• mamachile
    11 years ago

Tonya, thank you for the kale. You are welcome to any from my trade list.....lemongrass and purple pond Iris. If not you will get a surprise gift from me.

Beachplant, and GardenLover1, where are you driving from? Hope you have a big car to take your guava plant. Each is 5 feet tall in 15" pot and heavy! FYI because of the cool temperature earlier this week, the leaves have started falling and looking sad. So you know. And will stay dormant until the spring.

Have a safe trip.

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Joey, sorry to hear that. We were looking forward to catching up with you. You will be missed (again).

I'll announce the spring swap in the next few weeks.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Hey Shirley I am putting a plug in that the Spring sale not be on April 12-14. Those are the dates of the Lady Bird johnson plant sale.

Here is a link that might be useful: LBJ Plant sale Calendar at bottom

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

That is also the days of the Cactus and Succulent sale in Austin. I know the world does not center around mebut I sure wouldn't mind if it did ....just a little.

• mamachile
    11 years ago

Phoenix7801, sorry to hear that. I'll save your grapefruit and rose cutting till next time. I might just try root them for you.

• Ken145
    11 years ago

Hey guys sorry I haven't been on here lately. But I will for sure be at the swap. Won't have much to trade, but looking toward to all the conversations. But I will have seeds to trade, and some other stuff.

• dstartz
    11 years ago

I have finally stopped traveling and doing long enough to build my swap list. Please let me know if I've missed something.

dstartz - bringing:
    Pride of Barbados, Red Yuccas and Mexican Buckeyes bromeliads, Hurricane lilies, carex (I think they're 'Frosted Curls'), rooting cuttings of 'Snow Queen' hibiscus, small Christmas cactus - Fuchsia, orange, white, peaches & cream, red and salmon pink, 2 year old amaryllis seedlings, sempervivum 'water gardens' & pecans.

rock_oak_deer:
    carex
    Want - natives; butterfly and hummer attractors; xeriscape; zone 7 cold hardy; roses

texaspinkpixie:
    hurricane lilies,christmas cactus (white) and hibiscus 'snow queen'
    Want - wavey thornless prickly pear, mint "mojito", mint chocolate

Rebecca/TexasPinkpixie
    Hurricane lilies,Christmas cactus (white) and hibiscus 'snow queen'
    Please remind me what the trade is. =\

beachplant:
    1 amaryllis and any bromeliads
    Want - Plumeria wave rage and a Plumeria lee langetti seedling

wantonamara
    Mexican buckeyes and hurricane lillies (possibly pride of barbados &/or Sophora)
    Want - Agave vilmoriniana and hardy ice plants

nbtonya:
    Amaryllis
    Silverbush (depends on what you have to swap)
    Want - amaryllis for a Indigo spires salvia.

plantmaven:
    I found a white and blue walking iris pup today, but the moon is terrible for me to clip it. Want it anyway?
    I would love a yellow in swap ~IF~ you have one to spare.

GardenLover1:
    'Snow Queen' hibiscus cuttings

Patty:
    Hurricane lily, red yucca & sophora + garden stuff
    Me:
    rain lily pink & white, Duelberg salvia & ghost plant

• mamachile
    11 years ago

Dstartz, I would like to trade with your pecans please.

Mike is 'baking' some rugala to share.

Look forward to meeting all.

• texaspinkpixie
    11 years ago

Hi Everyone!
    Really excited about the swap! I will be attending tomorrow until 11am as I cannot get the time off from work and Patty has agreed to manage any trades that are not completed by the time I have to leave. Looking forward to the meet up :)

Hi Barbra (honneybunny2),
    I would love a tropicana canna if it is still available. I have some variagated shell ginger and/or some african butterfly iris I could trade or if there is anything of interest on my list (previous thread)I will see if I still have it.

• dstartz
    11 years ago

mamachile , I had you in mind when I listed the pecans. ;->

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Donna, thanks for the offer of the white and blue walking iris pup. Don't bother with it as Patty is going to give me some.
    I will be happy to bring you a yellow one or 2.

Kathy

• dstartz
    11 years ago

I'm glad you have one coming your way, Kathy!

Thank you for the offer. If you have one to spare I would love to add it to my garden. =)

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Donna, I have Texas Betony, Bouteloua Gracilimas 'Blonde Ambition', Ruellia squarrosa which were not on my previous "haves" list if any of those interest you.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I am very interested in the "blonde ambition"

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Mara, I already have one set aside for you! I have one more and since Donna hasn't selected from my list yet I was trying to add some things to the list.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I am plant ravenous and insecure, an embarrassing combination

• honeybunny2 Fox
    11 years ago

Texas pinkpixie, I would love one of the vaiagated shell ginger, I love anything that is variagated. The last plant Albert gave me was a variagated oleander. I just love it!

I could also use one of the cilantro seedlings if they are still available.

Does anyone grow orchids? I just cannot grow them, they are too fussy. Barbra

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

LOL! Mara, I wrote about the "Blonde Ambition" on a thread way back in the spring and you spoke up right away for when I had extras you wanted one. That I actually remembered it is amazing in itself. It's more of a wildscape plant which will work well in your garden.

• nbtonya
    11 years ago

Hi Donna,

I have discovered that what I thought were indigo spires babies are actually salvia coccinea "dreamsicle" so all I can bring are cuttings of the indigo spires. If you are not interested, no problem. Someone else can have the amaryllis that was the trade. Also, I am not bringing anything that was not on my previous list, so I will pass on the silberbush, as well. Thanks anyway!!

Let me know if you want indigo spires cuttings. I put some in water about a week ago or can bring fresh cut, if you are interested.

Tonya

• dstartz
    11 years ago

rock_oak_deer, I have 2 of the 3, so I'll gladly trade for the "Blonde Ambition". Thanks!

Tonya, I'll give the spires from a week ago a whirl. Thanks!

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Donna, the ornamental grass 'Blonde Ambition' is yours.

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

FYI I will not be there. I have surprise out of town company.

• nbtonya
    11 years ago

Gonna miss you Kathy! Is anyone headed your way that I can send your stevia with for you?

Tonya

• nbtonya
    11 years ago

Also meant to say, Donna, I will bring those indigo spires cuttings from last week.

I will not get there until closer to 10:00 but will see you all then!

Tonya

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Send it home Barbra aka honeybunny. She lives close to me.

Thanks

• nbtonya
    11 years ago

Sure will Kathy, enjoy your company!

Tonya

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kathy, we'll miss seeing you! Have a good weekend.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

GUYS & GALS, I am packed again and ready to go again. The coffee machine is loaded . Now the alarm clock.

I am sorry I will not see you Kathy.

• texaspinkpixie
    11 years ago

Hi all!!!
    I had a great time and in doing so I managed to leave the box of cacti Tally brought me. Tony said everyone cleared out and I was wondering if anyone grabbed it to save it for me??? I will come pick our up where eve out is if so. Thanks for the wonderful swap!!!

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

I have it up here in Dripping Springs . I was the last to leave. Are you going to visit your aunt? I go to Wimberley on Monday Evenings and wednesday if that is more convenient.
    Mara

• nbtonya
    11 years ago

Great swap everyone! I had a wonderful time renewing old acquaintances and making new ones. Thanks so much for the wonderful plants!

Thanks, Ragna, for the wonderful garden tour! You are an inspiration!

Tonya

• mamachile
    11 years ago

Hello Everyone,
    Just a short note to say thanks for a great day at the plant swap. This was our first time there and we had a wonderful time. We met a lot of really nice people with lots of knowledge about plants and gardening. We look forward to the next swap.
    Mizan and Mike

• dstartz
    11 years ago

Thank you, one and all, for making my trip to San Antonio so very worth the time and expense. A special thanks to Ragnaa and her husband for opening their garden and their home to all of us and for being such warm, delightful and wonderfully engaging hosts.

As I wrote on my Facebook page this evening,

"I have the good fortune to know an incredibly diverse group of people and in each group there are some really caring, loving, giving people, but gardeners/garden geeks/plant lovers/call them what you may have to be the most consistently friendly, giving, sharing group of people I've ever had the good fortune to meet."

Y'all were my inspiration and I am grateful to have been able to spend today with y'all.

BTW While I was in San Antonio today the zombie gnomes roamed the streets of Corpus Christi...
    {{gwi:1319779}}

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

Thank you thank you thank you but must you, collectively, make me work so hard? I have to get that cursed pick and shovel out and tear in to the earths crust again. It bodes to being a long long day of many delights.

It was so cool to meet you all. What a diverse group of generous people and . WHAT A HOOT! Great to meet the newbies.Great to see your garden Roselee, I have ascertained that your Hill county cr@p is indeed much better than my hill county cr@p. Caliche does vary in its fertility. It gives me hope.

• texaspinkpixie
    11 years ago

Hi Everyone!!!

Thanks so much for the wonderful swap!!! I had a lot of fun visiting with everyone and wished I had more time. I am so delighted with all my new plant babiesand really look forward to more swaps to come!

• mamachile
    11 years ago

Omg, I had a look at Mike's newly adopted collection of cacti, succulents and xeris, they humbled me and cannot say thank you enough to all. We are indeed so grateful and will think of everyone's generosity whenever we see these beautiful plants grow and having babies of their own in the future.

Wait a minute..I think.. I found two barrel pups!!!, ..There's no name. Mike doesn't know who gave them but thank you 'a barrel load'

Special thanks to Roselee and her husband who let us see your amazing garden. What a treat really.

Hope to see you guys next time.

Mizan

• dstartz
    11 years ago

I have a favor to ask. I cataloged the plants I got yesterday so that I'll know what I have when I lose the tags (sigh), plus I'll be able to continue to know from whom they came.

Could I get you to peruse the blog and tell me if I have the info about your plants listed accurately, please?

Many thanks!

Donna

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Yes, we surely had a good time -- didn't we!!! Thank you all for the comments above.

In case you're not convinced see the photos that were just posted to the Texas Gallery.

Here is a link that might be useful: San Antonio Plant Swap and Garden Visit Oct. 2012 photos ....

• dstartz
    11 years ago

I got these plants at the swap and they had no identifying tag &/or name tag. Since I could only get Patty to check out the blog I'm bringing the photos to y'all. Won't you help me identify them?

Ruby Crystals
    Orange Mint
    Unknown Plant

Blackfoot Daisy
    Unknown Plant
    Double/Triple Yellow Datura

Gomphrena 'Little Grapes'
    Gerber Daisies
    Salvia Regla

Sedum palmeri
    Received after the swap
    Can you tell me the names of these plants?

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    11 years ago

The third plant on the top row in the freezer bag is Salvia chiquita. It is cold hardy , xeric once established, give it afternoon shade, am sun. I think I had some in afternoon sun and morning shade. I keep it on a flat area, because it does seed out quite a bit if you are on hill country limestone. People on clay do not have this problem. Beautiful 2' blooms that bees and butterflies fight over

Blackfoot daisy is from me, I think.

The Next plant in square 4" pot is Phlox pilosa, I think. Takes sgae and sun, will spread. I have it under an Oak tree on the east side and it is spreading out to the sun and further inro the shade. Great dry shade gound cover. I never water it.

Salvia regla is from me also. It like shade and sun also . t is cold hardy and . Mine got to be 8 ' but I had to cut it back and now it is a very bushy 3'. It is a Big Bend sage , probably from the wetter mountain canyons. I like planting it where it gets afternoon light from the rakingsun in the fall because it will be starting to bloom really soon and it is such a treat when the setting sun hits it in the otherwise shady area. It LIGHTS UP. the blooms are timed with the hummingbird migration.

Sedum palmeri is from me also. It will root easily . No hormone , no water, just stick it in the ground. It can take fast draining. It is hardy to 0 they say. Mine lived through the freeze and THE BIG D without water. It looked like hell but came right back.

I think you got the first of the two Agave , The agave univittatta AKA Agave lophantha from Gardenlover1 after the swap on roselees "parking lot". This is a whole family of agave and are a very confusing trying to tell which is which because their is a high amount of variability and intergrading between species.

I got a triple Datura that looked like yours from Mamachile.

Hey, Dona, Rebecca was telling me you were having expensive well drilling bid . If you want to talk to me about Rainwater harveting, feel free to email me. My email is listed on my page. We are 100% dependent on rainwater.

Mara

• mamachile
    11 years ago

Hi Donna,
    It is a very good idea to do what you are doing, to be able to identify those plants and who they are from. Mike and I have too many given but have no idea from whom except those with name tags on them. Our senior moment is catching up on us.

Mara, that Datura plant is not from mamachile, I think it could be from Honeybunny? And the last two agaves are from Arshi Khu because we got one like that from her car trunk at Roselee's front street parking.

I am looking forward to the spring swap and thinking of sprouting some Japanese cucumber to give away. I guess I will have to start indoor-seeding for them to be ready.

• beachplant
    11 years ago

Barb brought the datura.

Thanks everyone for a great time! The cupcakes and other goodies were yummy, it was so much fun to meet everyone and talk politics, cactus and weirdness. Thanks to Bob and Ragna for hosting us in the garden and the chance to meet the turtles. We`re looking forward to the spring swap. Jim is already planning a trip to Rebeccas to fill the car with rocks.
    Tally Ho!

• beachplant
    11 years ago

the unknown crinum is crinum `milk and wine`. Also known as ditch lilies. These grow at the cemetary and the city mows them down. 2-3` on average, gray-green messy foliage, leaves are long and thin. Flower spike has trumpet shaped flowers,white with deep pink streaking. Full sun, drought tolerant and tolerates flooding, including full submersion in salt water for days. A very tough plant!
    Tally HO!

Sponsored
Mary Shipley Interiors
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars32 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 10x Best of Houzz