Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sylviatexas1

HAVE: 2013 Ft Worth Autumn Swap November 2

sylviatexas1
10 years ago

The Autumn Swap will be at Trinity Park, near the pavilions, on Saturday November 2.

We moved the swap to Arlington last spring to accomodate people who said they'd come if the swap were more centrally located.

The net effect was that it was then too far for some of our long-time traders, & not one new person appeared either!

November 2 is the Fall Festival in the Japanese Garden at the Botanic Gardens, from 10 am to 5 pm, $6 admission, $3 for very young children (forgot the age), so you can do 2 things on 1 trip!

Please share this on facebook or twitter or anywhere you wish.

re-cap of our rules & guidelines:

You can swap anything for anything, but please be reasonable & fair & do not try to pressure someone into a swap;
if you want to swap your cow for magic beans, you can do so, but please don't try to talk someone into swapping their cow for a package of beans!

It's fine to bring cuttings, but please identify them as cuttings or as rooted cuttings.

We've had some bad experiences in the past with someone trading sticks stuck in dirt for good, healthy plants.

Do not do this.

We do "pre-swaps" as well as "at the event" swaps.

Pre-swaps are the ones in which we agree before the actual get-together that we will exchange whatever for whatever.

It's a good idea to label the items you've "pre-swapped" with your trading partner's name (don't be subtle, use a big sheet of paper & write the name in big bold magic marker letters), & put the pots or boxes out of the way beneath a picnic table.

When you & your trade partner find each other, please compare your items;
if you or the other person wants to decline the trade, that's it, it's over, no explanation required.

Sometimes we think we are in agreement, & it turns out that "plant" means a well-established plant in a 1 gallon or larger pot to one partner, while it means a seedling with 2 leaves, in a 3" pot to the other.

or we think we are in agreement, & what we thought was salvia greggii turns out to be a cactus, & our trade partner doesn't want to trade her David Austin rose for a cactus.

The best way to avoid hurt feelings is to just decide not to complete the trade.

Items that are available for "at the event" can be put on top of the table or on the benches;
keep your items in a group so you don't lose track, & you might want to label them just to be sure, something like "Sylvia's Plants; Please Have a Look-See".

Do not remove anything from anywhere without the owner's permission;
it's just too easy to pick up something that isn't intended for you, & hard feelings result.

We'll have a table for "adoptions" or "free to good home" plants & items;
anybody can put anything on this table, & at the end of the swap, we'll each take one item.
When everyone has taken one item, we'll do it again, & again, to make sure that everybody gets an equal chance.

Although this is a "Plant Swap", you can trade anything for anything;
in past years, I've traded for Folger's coffee, for brownies, for books & videos, & once for a whole tub full of culled baby lettuce (better salad than you can get anywhere else!)

In fact, this autumn, I may bring some wine glasses to trade (not to drink from during the swap)!

There is no alcohol & no glass beverage containers at the park-
too easy for problems such as broken glass to occur!

Hints:

Wear comfy clothes & shoes, & bring a jacket or sweater & a hat.

You might bring tape, Sharpies, paper, & notebooks for writing labels & notes.

If you bring a camera, you can share photos!

If you have a cart or wagon or dolly, please try to bring it;
these things make it so much easier to move heavy pots.

Bring water or coffee or tea so you will remain well-hydrated.

Plants need water, too;
although a dry pot is easier to carry, it's harder on the plant.
Please respect your trading partner by reducing the stress on your plant;
if it's too heavy for you, someone will help.

I know there's more to say to remind or refresh everyone's memory, but I can't think what it might be:

What can you add???

Comments (150)

• pyxis
    10 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Anyone interested in a 4 ft. Yellow Brugmansia in bloom, or a Greap Leaf Cacti that is about 4 ft. Finding more things as they move into the greenhouse.

• debbiedo7
    10 years ago

Man I'm way behind!
    Just got on the site today and see I have no time to try and root any cuttings.
    I will have to look around to see what else I can bring.
    I know that I have
    2 different mother of thousands,
    a small unrooted cutting from my yellow plumeria tree,
    a sedum that I use as a spiller in almost all of my flower pots.
    cuttings from a bush I call firecrackers small red blooms
    some cuttings from my yellow rose bush - I lost the name of it but it blooms off and on all year some roses have a little rosey shade to them.
    I can also take some cuttings from my
    confetti lantana,
    autumn sage
    ice plant
    seeds from the pink or yellow -oclocks
    I will have a few new empty 50 count cone shaped cutting trays
    edited - no time to cook the bread.

I 'm not sure what I'll bring to the potluck, a dessert of some sort.

I saw a few things here being offered and am interested in

Sylvia: golden rain tree, purple iris, Pigeon Berry, chocolate mint.

pkponder: pink brug

marti8A: Oxblood lily, Yellow columbine

I am also wanting old burned out incandescent light bulbs, especially the big round ones used in the bathroom vanities. Or larger All you have or can get. TY ;o>

This post was edited by debbiedo7 on Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 19:06

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

Debbie, do you want a whole pink brugmansia or cuttings? I have both a tree about 4 feet tall or I can get cuttings, your choice. I am so interested in the plumeria cutting, I've been wanting yellow. I also have some unrooted pink plumeria cuttings.

I think I have some of those round bulbs, not burned out, but I really don't use them. I think they were from the house we lived in 10 years ago.

Pyxis, is the Greap Leaf Cacti hardy here? I can't find any info on it. I would like cuttings from the yellow brug :-)

Pam

• pyxis
    10 years ago

pkponder I always bring the cactus in for the winter try looking for (Cissus quadrangulularis). I have the Yellow Brugmansia in cuttings, rooted small plants and one that is 3 or 4 ft tall, which ever you want.

debiedo7 could I get a yellow plumaria cutting?

I have found small lemon grass starts if anyone is interested.

• pyxis
    10 years ago

Have found Horseradish and a White Oleander about 3 ft. Is anyone interested?

• dcarpenter
    10 years ago

Ok. I finally managed to get outside last night and start my tradelist. Here goes:

Christmas Cactus
    Pineapple Mint
    Persicaria Capitata
    Mexican Petunias (tall/pink)
    Amaranthus (blonde blooms)
    Sedums:
    Autumn Delight
    Xenox
    T-Rex
    Aizoon
    Thundercloud
    Autumn Fire

Rootbeer Plant
    (1) Sweet Thai Basil
    Jewels of Opar
    Penstemon (Prairie Dusk)
    Castor Bean (red)
    Rock Rose (pink)
    Salvia (Coral Nymph)
    Perilla (Green)
    Peanut Plant
    Lantana (Samantha) - Cuttings
    Agave (Blue)
    Skullcap (Blue)
    Rat Tail Cactus - Cuttings
    (2) Tapioca Trees (small)

Thanks,

Darlene

• dcarpenter
    10 years ago

Pyxis,

I'm interested in your horseradish. Is there anything in particular you are looking for? I have several cactus and succulents you might be interested in if you don't already have. Email me at dgalindo@winstead.com and let me know if you are looking for something in particular. Thanks.

Darlene

• pyxis
    10 years ago

dcarpenter
    I would be interested in Root Beer Plant, Rat Tail Cactus, and Pink Mexican Petunias. You now have Horseradish.

• remy101
    10 years ago

Darlene I am interested in pineapple mint,perilla,lemon balm and Thai basil

• remy101
    10 years ago

Sylvia I will bring you orange mint,sweet mint,Greek columnar basil and cestrum nocturnum(queen of the night) plants,but I am sorry about the African violet. I asked many times . Nobody was interested,so I give it away. ,but I am very interested in roses including the rooted one
    Thank you

• remy101
    10 years ago

Debbiedo 7 I am very interested in 50 count trays

Pyrix I am very interested in 2 rooted yellow brugmansia.if it available

• weenerdogg
    10 years ago

Sylvia, I can for sure get you some rosemary!

• debbiedo7
    10 years ago

pkponder: the pink brugmansia tree will be great. I have your name on the plumeria it it only about 6 inches. It got broke off the tree in the last bad storm we had and is just laying in the pot. horsetail rush and If no one else wants your pink plumeria I'll take it.

pyxis I will see if I have anoiher piece that can be cut from the plumeria tree. I am interested a rooted yellow brugmansia and lemon grass starts.

remy101 got you down for some 50 count trays. I'd like cestrum nocturnum(queen of the night) plants

dcarpenter: I'm interested in - Sedums: Autumn Delight, Xenox, T-Rex, Aizoon, Thundercloud, Autumn Fire, also Tapioca Tree, Penstemon (Prairie Dusk)

I looked around outside today and the roofers made a mess of my garden. I can take some cuttings from my yellow rose bush - I lost the name of it but it blooms off and on all year some roses have a little rosey shade to them.
    I can also take some cuttings from my
    confetti lantana,
    autumn sage
    ice plant
    seeds from the pink or yellow -oclocks.

This post was edited by debbiedo7 on Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 1:21

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

I have my revised pre-trade list, please nudge me if I promised something not on the list:

Sylvia: Hot Lips, mini swamp Iris, mauve iris, all three indica canna for pigeon berry, purple ruellia, lemon mint and white salvia

Weenerdogg: Hot Lips, horseherb, mini swamp iris for Tuscan soup...yum

Remy: seeds for Hales cantelope, Israel Melon, Sugar Baby watermelon, red russian kale, black beauty zucchini, yellow hot wax pepper

Marti: 5 foot pink brugmansia, hot lips for blue mist and blanket flower seeds

Pyxis: Horsetail Rush, brug cuttings (white and pink) for yellow brugmansia plant and cinnamon vine bulbets

Darlene: 6 foot brug, Pink top cutting for skullcap and blue agave

Debbie: pink brugmansia plant, round light bulbs, long pink plumeria cuttings for yellow plumeria

also bringing tickets for the raffle and green balloons/stakes for the parking and swap area

• pyxis
    10 years ago

pkponder is skullcap the same as Monkshood if so I would like a start.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

Pyxis, I don't think it's the same plant. I have a small one and it was called Veronica when I got it. I'm actually asking Darlene for the skullcap :-)

• pyxis
    10 years ago

pkponder I have tried Monkshood and Wolfsbane from seed and got 0% germination and it is a major pain with all the stages involved to get nothing for months of preperation. Was just hopeing I had found one.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

I'll keep my eyes open for some.

• weenerdogg
    10 years ago

Pyxis: I would be very interested in the red foliaged hibiscus
    debbie Do: I would love some of your ice plant
    dcarpenter: I always can use any sedums

Here are the swaps I have so far. I'm sure I have forgotten something so please remind me

Marti - gets a Texas Sage
    Sylvia - Soup and a rosemary
    pkponder - soup!

remy - I see you are bringing me mint, could you remind me what I am bringing you?

So far I have the following to swap
    Yellow Iris
    Yellow flag (pond) Iris
    Autumn Sage
    Texas Sage
    Rosemary
    Confetti lantana cuttings
    Texas gold lantana cuttings

• pyxis
    10 years ago

weenerdogg would an unrooted cutting be OK, I only had one rooted plant.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Debbie, I don't think I can use any of the things you have this year;
    I'd be happy to bring the ones you asked for in return for a large can of Folger's Black Silk coffee.

also wanted to say that you need to be sure that your trade partners know that the pumpkin bread is the very small loaves, unless you're bringing something different this time.

If you don't have enough plants to trade, I heard a tip yesterday from a veteran plant swapper who said she stopped at a dollar store one year & filled up a laundry basket with little things to trade.

This post was edited by sylviatexas on Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 14:42

• dcarpenter
    10 years ago

Pyxis,

I would be happy to bring you rootbeer plant, rat tail cactus cuttings and mexican petunias.

Remy,

You got everything you asked for!

Pkponder,

I'm happy to bring you skullcap and blue agave.

Weenerdogg,

Sedums it is.

Thanks,

Darlene

• remy101
    10 years ago

Debbie
    I can give you 1 cestrum nocturnum plant. I can give you glade candles.how many trays do you have can you please send me pictures at
    Hinaawais@yahoo.com

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Debbie, which ice plant do you have, and is it rooted or a cutting?

• remy101
    10 years ago

Thank you Darlene

• pyxis
    10 years ago

Been a long day but fulfilling. The pond for my Texas Giant Water Lily is plasticed in and filling up. The pond is 6 Ft wideX 14 Ft. long, and depth is from 1 Ft to 4 Ft, it will be aproximately 1750 gallons. I will also move some of my fish into it and watch them grow to show fish size. Nice to see it this close to finished as I have had the idea for almost 2 years. Still have rock work around the edge but that will be easy compared to the digging. Now to build a greenhouse around the pond. My tropicals will love the humidity.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Pictures!
    Inquiring minds want pictures!

• debbiedo7
    10 years ago

weenerdogg got you down for ice plant cuttings
    can I get texas sage? And any old LIGHT BULBS lol
    remy101

marti8a because yours are plant/bulb I will dig up a plant for you if you'd like..

Sylvia thats cool maybe we can work up a trade in the spring.

remy101 I have 10 or 12 depending on if anyone else wants any they also have the bottom tray, one corner of the trays are chipped but they have never been used. Also note that they are actually 6 X 12 cells per tray.

pictures taken today

Here is a link that might be useful: item pictures

This post was edited by debbiedo7 on Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 17:53

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

That would be great Debbie. I'm afraid I just have too much going on to root anything right now. I'll have to look and see if I have any more columbine I can dig up. But I've got plenty of oxblood so will bring you a pot of those for sure.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Good deal on your pond pyxis. Having it in a green house will keep the herons from eating all your fish too. I only have one butterfly koi left thanks to those stinkers.

I was looking over your posts and don't see anything you are bringing that I am interested in.

This post was edited by marti8a on Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 0:04

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

dcarpenter, do you have any penstemon left?

• pyxis
    10 years ago

marti8a I am still finding things that are going to the swap. I will know more of what there is when I get the Suburban loaded and pull out of the driveway. Is there anything special you are wanting? Could be that it is here or I know someone that has it .

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hey, remy, I finally got some cuttings from that monster "Mermaid" type rose.

If you want them I'll bring a pot of 'em.

This is a *huge* rose with wicked thorns...
    but it makes a wonderful wildlife habitat,
    it'll cover an ugly fence pronto,
    & it may have some historical significance as the rose that guarded Sleeping Beauty for all those years!

• dcarpenter
    10 years ago

Martia,

Sure thing. I will put one aside for you. Thanks.

Darlene

• pyxis
    10 years ago

This is what the ponder looks like after 10 hours work time. My ever faithfull helper is in the fore ground (or should I say the supervisor).

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

I love your pond! What a handsome helper..errr supervisor you have there!

Will your giant lily fill the whole pond?

• pyxis
    10 years ago

marti8a How much space will the Dwarf Texas Water Lily require? How deep should the water be and should I plan on heating the pond for the lily?

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

It's not a dwarf lily, it's a Texas Dawn. I'll cut it back so it will fit in one of those square mesh pond pots, but by next June it will be cover a 3' circle of surface and by August, it will fill about 1/3 to 1/2 of your pond. That is, if you fertilize it. It will tolerate up to 3' deep although I've never had it that deep. I have it about 2' although it does better at 12-18". You don't have to heat the water, it is very hardy.

It will go dormant after the first freeze. When it does, cut off all the dead pads and stems and just let it sit there until spring. That's when you do the first fertilizer, and when I usually divide and repot. But I'll do that for you now so you won't have to repot unless you want to put it in a larger pot. I would do that, but I don't have one. By spring 2015, it will have destroyed this mesh pot - the tubers will grow over and through the mesh.

Then fertilize every month and it will turn into the monster that you will both love and hate (if you have any other plants in your pond).

This website has specs for it that might help you

This post was edited by marti8a on Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 15:54

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

You know the one.

I like to post happy things about swaps, so I'm not happy to have to post this, but I'd rather post it than to have people feel like they've been used.

so this post has 2 purposes:

to re-iterate that being a pig is not acceptable at this swap.
    Remember the rule about not asking someone for their cow in exchange for a package of beans?
    That also applies to describing your package of beans as something more than it is.
    Don't get someone to agree to a swap when you know that what they think they're getting is not at all what you're bringing to them.
    If you're a new gardener, or you've moved & need volume, or *whatever*, be grateful for the generosity of other gardeners, but don't try to trick them into granting it.

If you don't have anything to trade that a reasonable person would want, then make it right by offering potting soil or metal plant markers etc, *or don't ask*;
    don't ask for a laundry list from *any* of the traders unless you can offer something worthwhile in exchange.

& if a trader asks "how many do you want? & I hear anyone say something like '"all of them" (I actually heard of this happening at a swap), that person will have to leave the swap.

gardenweb does not sponsor this swap, I do.
    It's literally my party, & I won't have anyone taking advantage of my guests.

I think we've eliminated the abuse of the prize drawings by limiting the value of the prizes, but if you don't have a nice prize to offer, don't participate in the drawing.
    I'm not talking about bringing a basket with lotions & gloves;
    I'm talking about bringing something you ought to throw away.
    Again, Golden Rule:
    If you wouldn't want it, nobody else wants it.

Since it's often hard for any of us to 'take up for ourselves', I am making my services available.
    If someone wants you to give more than you're getting, don't hand it over;
    let me know, & I'll take care of it.

As I said, I like to post happy things, & I apologize for bringing up a not-happy situation, but I'd rather post one not-happy post than to have anyone be used.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Sylvia, you've brought iris to swaps before and you always have them labeled. How do you know in the fall which ones they are? I only know in the spring when they are blooming.

I've been digging up iris and I'd bring them if anyone wanted them, but I have no idea what color they are.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

pyxis, besides the want list on my first post, I'd like to have a passion vine, clematis vine, or buddleia. I'll add those to my post too.

• pyxis
    10 years ago

marti8a I think the passion vine I can cover, it is not large or beautiful but it is a passion vine. I was given 2 and they are twins, you have one of them.

• remy101
    10 years ago

Thank you Debbie fir the pictures.i am very interested in trays.i will post candle pictures
    Thank you Sylvia for the rose

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

That would be great pyxis. I had a passion vine and it struggled for several years before finally giving up.

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The only way I know to identify an iris in the autumn...
    is to have labeled it back in the spring!

One other way is to have every variety in a different spot, so that if you dig up an iris on the east side of the red yucca, it must be Thornbird, etc.

The only irises I have this time are what I call "Melanie's Purple", since she doesn't know their name & I never have seen them bloom.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I wondered if you had every variety in a different spot. All mine are planted together. I love seeing all the colors together when they are blooming.

I've decided that spring is a better time to be digging and transplanting. Nearly everything I've dug up for this swap has suffered wilt. I hope they come back before the swap.

This post was edited by marti8a on Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 1:29

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

Marti, I had the same issue so removed almost all of the leaves. Some are growing back already after two weeks.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Some of mine are perking up, but others, like the Shasta Daisy are still suffering. I've dug them up in the spring many times, but they are so tall and lanky now and I'm sure their roots were the same.

• remy101
    10 years ago

here is the item 4 barter

Here is a link that might be useful: Click Here!

• sylviatexas1
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marti, my Shasta daisies look wilted too, but they're getting ready to die back for the winter anyway;
    just dig up the pitiful-looking plant, & the new owner will plant it, & the roots will send up a new crown in the spring.

I have a few daisies that have given up the ghost, & the new crowns have emerged already!

Remy, if you have enough of the lotion and/or shampoo if that's what it is (bad monitor, bad bad monitor!), I'd like to trade...something? anything?

I did pot up another rose for you, looks like another, or maybe the same, China rose, but it's a freebie;
    it's a leetle feller & its leaves are yellow, don't know if something's wrong with it or if it's just going dormant early.

I did find some red yucca seeds from this year & some bur oak acorns from 2012;
    I had hoped to grow a bur oak, but I can't keep the squirrels out of them!

Sponsored
SURROUNDS Landscape Architecture + Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars10 Reviews
DC Area's High-End Custom Landscape Design/Build Firm 9x Best of Houzz