Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

o
HAVE: 2013 Ft Worth Autumn Swap November 2

Posted by sylviatexas z8a Tx (My Page) on
Sat, Sep 21, 13 at 11:51

The Autumn Swap will be at Trinity Park, near the pavilions, on Saturday November 2.

We moved the swap to Arlington last spring to accomodate people who said they'd come if the swap were more centrally located.

The net effect was that it was then too far for some of our long-time traders, & not one new person appeared either!

November 2 is the Fall Festival in the Japanese Garden at the Botanic Gardens, from 10 am to 5 pm, $6 admission, $3 for very young children (forgot the age), so you can do 2 things on 1 trip!

Please share this on facebook or twitter or anywhere you wish.

re-cap of our rules & guidelines:

You can swap anything for anything, but please be reasonable & fair & do not try to pressure someone into a swap;
if you want to swap your cow for magic beans, you can do so, but please don't try to talk someone into swapping their cow for a package of beans!

It's fine to bring cuttings, but please identify them as cuttings or as rooted cuttings.

We've had some bad experiences in the past with someone trading sticks stuck in dirt for good, healthy plants.

Do not do this.

We do "pre-swaps" as well as "at the event" swaps.

Pre-swaps are the ones in which we agree before the actual get-together that we will exchange whatever for whatever.

It's a good idea to label the items you've "pre-swapped" with your trading partner's name (don't be subtle, use a big sheet of paper & write the name in big bold magic marker letters), & put the pots or boxes out of the way beneath a picnic table.

When you & your trade partner find each other, please compare your items;
if you or the other person wants to decline the trade, that's it, it's over, no explanation required.

Sometimes we think we are in agreement, & it turns out that "plant" means a well-established plant in a 1 gallon or larger pot to one partner, while it means a seedling with 2 leaves, in a 3" pot to the other.

or we think we are in agreement, & what we thought was salvia greggii turns out to be a cactus, & our trade partner doesn't want to trade her David Austin rose for a cactus.

The best way to avoid hurt feelings is to just decide not to complete the trade.

Items that are available for "at the event" can be put on top of the table or on the benches;
keep your items in a group so you don't lose track, & you might want to label them just to be sure, something like "Sylvia's Plants; Please Have a Look-See".

Do not remove anything from anywhere without the owner's permission;
it's just too easy to pick up something that isn't intended for you, & hard feelings result.

We'll have a table for "adoptions" or "free to good home" plants & items;
anybody can put anything on this table, & at the end of the swap, we'll each take one item.
When everyone has taken one item, we'll do it again, & again, to make sure that everybody gets an equal chance.

Although this is a "Plant Swap", you can trade anything for anything;
in past years, I've traded for Folger's coffee, for brownies, for books & videos, & once for a whole tub full of culled baby lettuce (better salad than you can get anywhere else!)

In fact, this autumn, I may bring some wine glasses to trade (not to drink from during the swap)!

There is no alcohol & no glass beverage containers at the park-
too easy for problems such as broken glass to occur!

Hints:

Wear comfy clothes & shoes, & bring a jacket or sweater & a hat.

You might bring tape, Sharpies, paper, & notebooks for writing labels & notes.

If you bring a camera, you can share photos!

If you have a cart or wagon or dolly, please try to bring it;
these things make it so much easier to move heavy pots.

Bring water or coffee or tea so you will remain well-hydrated.

Plants need water, too;
although a dry pot is easier to carry, it's harder on the plant.
Please respect your trading partner by reducing the stress on your plant;
if it's too heavy for you, someone will help.

I know there's more to say to remind or refresh everyone's memory, but I can't think what it might be:

What can you add???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
2013 Ft Worth Autumn Swap November 2

See, I knew I'd think of something as soon as I hit submit.

In the past, we've had prizes, & we've had lunch.

How does everyone feel about doing it again?

Each person would bring a 'prize', worth about $5 or so, & each person would bring one dish or drink or ice & cups per person (give it your best shot on estimating what's fair), & we'd draw tickets for each prize & we'd all share the meal.

Just let me know what you'd like to do.

o
RE: HAVE: 2013 Ft Worth Autumn Swap November 2

It sounds like fun! I like the idea of lunch and prizes and fellowship as well as giving away plants :-) Maybe I'll bring home made chili, something warm!

Pam

o

I'll be there for sure.

Darlene

o

Yay!

Here are some things that I know I'll have:

cannas, tallish (4'? 5'?) lemony yellow
The cannas are crowded together in maybe 2 or 3 gallon pots, so I hope somebody needs a clump or so of them.

Chinese tallow trees, maybe 3' tall.
I know they're illegal in Houston where there's a lot of water to go with the heat, but here they're a blessing in big, hot, exposed areas like pastures & big backyards.
They grow fast & they're green while you're waiting for the slower-growing 'good' trees to get a move on.
(What an endorsement!)

golden rain tree, at least 1 or 2.
These are *beautiful* when they're in bloom!
They grow fast, but they're pretty narrow in profile, so you can have them in a normal or reasonable sized yard/garden.

crepe myrtles; I know I have a pink one...

several plants of a shrub that I dug up at the demo sites last spring. looks like a photinia or whatever that family is called, & it grows & spreads.

mother of millions, at least one, & that's all you need.

If anyone wants them, I can dig up & pot:
talll Mexican petunias by the truckload &
pigeonberry. I love this stuff; it grows in bright shade & once it blooms in springtime, it has blooms & berries til frost.

also have plastic pots, mostly 1 gallon & smaller.

Prizes: I'm thinking that a modest price limit is good, maybe around $5, so my offering is a cast iron plant (aspidistra) in a ceramic pot.
I've always had my cast iron plants outside, & they do fine, but they're raggedy by the end of winter.
Then last winter I saw a clump in a shallow bowl in a hospital waiting room, & they were shiny & dark green & happy as they could be.
This clump is shiny & green & happy, & it can winter inside & summer outside if its new momma or poppa wants it to.

food...
I'm thinking macaroni & cheese; *everybody* can eat that, right?

This post was edited by sylviatexas on Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 13:12

o

I love mac and cheese :-) I wasn't thinking about vegans or heartburn when I volunteered chili :-)

I am holding my hand up for pigeonberry and maybe some ruellia if that's not too greedy :-) No need to pot it, I am happy with a grocery bag and will be more likely to plant it if it's not potted.

I think that I'll find or craft some sort of garden art, with ridiculously bright paint to chase away the winter doldrums for my prize contribution.

I have so many cannas still, but I think I'll try rooting some salvia cuttings. I have a couple of happy varieties and those seem popular. I also have an abundance of old fashioned yellow iris, some swamp iris in a mauvy color and some mini swamp or Louisiana iris that I believe to be blue. My dear sister in law gave them to me and the pot is just too crowded to bloom.
I may bring some large pink single brugmansia (Adora maybe) that I overwinter outside with a bit of mulch if there is interest. I'm just about tired of brugmansia and these will be established plants that I've been harvesting cuttings from for mailing.

Anyone interested in horsetail rush or sedum ground covers? I have some of that to dig up also.

Almost forgot, I have lots and lots of horseherb if there is any interest.

This will be a blast!

o

Hello
I have orange mint , sweet mint, Greek columnar basil, different purple basil , African blue basil,cestrum nocturnum for trade. I also have limited quantity of these seeds
Pulla pepper
Arbol pepper
Orange manzano
Orange habanero
Purple bell pepper
Carlifornia wonder
Upside down pepper
Dill
Sweet mint
Summer squash pic-n-pic hybrid
Dragon tongue beans
Organic Ireland creek Annie beans
Petite mix color marigold
Clementine red
Wild flower mix
Poppy mixed
French marigold
Marigold draft yellow
Moon Vine
Zinnia grand champion pink
Papalo
Sasha daisy
Purple coneflower
Cosmos sensation mix
Gloriosa daisy
Lantana
Aster purple
Morning glory mix
Hibiscus confederate pink
Blanket flower
Pink holly hock
Rose of Sharon
Summer carnival hollyhock
Heirloom chater double hollyhock
Red and white hollyhock
And I am interested in curry leaf tree, citrus, gardenia, jasmine cutting
Melon and okra seeds

o

pk, I'll bring you some pigeonberry & ruellia in grocery bags!

Do swamp iris have to have a swamp, or can they be in a nice lowish place? That mauvey color sounds wonderful, & blue in the garden is always good.

Darlene, Do you still need Stuttgardt canna?
I can spare one of the 2 or 3 I got at a swap last spring.
It hasn't bloomed (this past summer was just too hard), so I can't guarantee the variety, but it was labeled Stuttgardt.

Remy-
I googled cestrum nocturnum, & it's *gorgeous*!
If you have enough, I'd love to try it & some purple bell pepper seeds.

What can I bring you?

This post was edited by sylviatexas on Wed, Sep 25, 13 at 19:40

o

On Sunday Oct. 6th is Denton County Gardening Swap in Carrollton from 2 - 4pm. You don't have to live in Denton. This is the name of our meet-up group.
We do a raffle for garden related items with ten dollar limit.
I like the pot-luck idea if that can be accommodated ? I only have attended the Denton Swaps.

o

Sylvia I can bring you cestrum nocturnum cutting or plant. Do you have citrus, fruit , roses cutting or plant. Of course I can bring purple bell pepper seeds.
Thank you

o

Sylvia, I have the Louisiana (swamp) iris in-ground next to the container ponds and it does fine with twice weekly watering with the rest of that garden. I'll pot it up while I'm working on the salvias this afternoon!

o

remy, I'll start collecting rose cuttings.
There's a gigantic rose that I've been eying for a while, even tried to get a cutting last summer but fell into the ditch...
It has beautiful, very double, almost cabbage rose flowers.

& I have Martha Gonzales & a few more.

I know I can get some Lady Banks cuttings if you can use them as well;
it's another big ole girl, & it only blooms in the spring, but it's nearly evergreen & it's thornless.
Makes a good anchor for a biggish corner location.

don't have any citrus or fruit-
wish I *did* have, especially crabapple!

Welcome, Gretchen!

I don't understand the question (first time in the history of the world *that's* ever happened!)

The FW Swap is 11-2, so it won't conflict with the Denton one, & the potluck is very, uh, potluck, so you can bring a dish for which you are famous, or you can bring paper plates, tea or soft drinks, or something from a deli or whatnot.

o

Syvlia,

I would LOVE one of your cannas. Let me get my list together and I'll let you know what I have so you can pick something from it. Thanks.

Darlene

o

Homemade chili!
I could bring cornbread and something else? I like the meal deal. Is anyone coming to the Denton County Swap?

o

Homemade chili!
I could bring cornbread and something else? I like the meal deal. Is anyone coming to the Denton County Swap? Sorry I keep asking.

o

Cornbread sounds good!

If you want to bring something else, maybe some shredded cheddar or diced onions to go with it?

I just got some "vibrant purple" (according to the lady at the garage sale) irises, plenty to swap after I plant all I can.

The lady didn't know the name, but she said people would stop & take pictures when they're in bloom!

o

Sylvia, is it ok to invite gardeners from some of my Facebook gardening groups? There are a surprising number of gardeners in the area in the groups that I frequent. I already mentioned it on one forum and got a couple of inquiries, so thought that I should run it by you before I get too excited and invite people.

Pam

o

Fer shur!

It's always nice to see our old friends, &
it's always nice to make new ones!

edited to add:

forgot to say:

Pam, chili sounds perfect;
not everything has to be one-size-fits-all.

If it were, Sears would be the only store...

I potted up the canna & the pigeonberry & Mexican petunia yesterday, just in time for the rain.

will work on rose cuttings a little at a time.

This post was edited by sylviatexas on Sun, Sep 29, 13 at 11:12

o

Good on the chili! I won't make it too spicy.

I'm finding all sorts of things out in the garden today to pot up.

I discovered a few small Hot Lip's Salvias and a young Althea to bring. I thought that I would only have salvia cuttings :-) Haven't gotten to the Black and Blue yet :-)

o

If you have enough, I'd love a Hot Lips Salvia.

I pegged down a couple of top-heavy plants that looked lie they wanted to take root but couldn't, being up in the air & all.

I know I'm supposed to know what they are, but I'm either thinking of something else or it's...the other thing.

They seem to be in the salvia family, tall plants with largish white composite blooms that give a sort of 'fuzzy' impression.

Butterflies, bees, & wasps like them.

so I may have some of those!

Also found a number of volunteer Cashmere Bouquet plants;
I've been warned that these things are invasive, but my thought is that anything that can grow in shade & flower & attract butterflies can invade as much as it wants.
so I can bring some of these if anyone's interested.

I did put some rose cuttings (Lady Banks, Seven Sisters, Martha Gonzales, what may be Mrs B R Cant, & a sweet soft warm apricot pink that fades to pink-must be a China or similar, approx 1.5" flowers look like ragged pompoms) in pots for remy, hope they take.

o

I will set aside a Hot Lips for you Sylvia. I'd like one of the white fuzzy salvias if you have enough.

Cashmere Bouquet, I love it and it's spreading a lot in shade. They pull up pretty easy though.

Ajuga is a wonderful ground cover in shade also.

o

Ok, you talked me into it. lol

This is what I already have ready so far:

Fall obedient plant (light purple blooms in fall)
Texas Ash seedlings (about 6 inches tall)
Mexican Poinsettia
Lirope
Blanket flower seeds
Rue (taken)
Texas aster (blue blooms in fall)
Yellow columbine
Oxblood lily

This is what I can dig up if anyone wants it:
Blue Mist (blue blooms most of the summer)
Confetti Lantana
Catnip plant
Salvia greggii
Texas Dawn Water lily
Bog sage (tall with blue flowers, likes moisture but will tolerate some dry periods. Mine is not in a bog)

What I'd like to have: anything evergreen, Mexican Hat or yellow coneflower, larkspur seeds, passion flower vine, clematis vine, buddleia.

Pre-swaps:
pkponder Brugmansia & salvia hotlips from pkponder. Texas aster and blue mist to pkponder.
pyxis Passion vine from pyxis. Rue (& Texas Dawn water lily?) to pyxis.
debbiedo Ice plant from Debbie. Oxblood lily to Debbie.
dcarpenter Penstemon (Prairie Dusk) from Darlene. ____________ to Darlene.

I'll try to make a picture frame or blue bird house for a prize.

I'll bring cookies for the pot luck.

This post was edited by marti8a on Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 13:56

o

Yes Sylvia I am very interested in all roses. I also have cactus and 5 African violets .
Anybody growing vegetable?i am interested in seeds

o

Marti, I have a bunch of purple iris for sun & cast iron plant for shade...
but if no one else has evergreens to make it worth the gasoline, I can drop 'em off at your house on my way to or from work one day!

o

I'd love to have a cast iron plant if I can find a place for it. I need something for that narrow bed between sidewalk and house. It gets morning sun and shade by 3 or 4 pm. Do you think the cast iron plant would work there or should it go somewhere with full shade?

o

I will bring homemade hot sauce and chips.

Darlene

o

Hey guys. I really want to attend but work that day sooo was thinking a long lunch. If I can work it out I was thinking I could bring some rosemary in 4 in pots, some texas sage starts, yellow flag iris and maybe a pot of Tuscan soup if anyone wants to trade for food since I wouldn't have time to stay for a potluck.

I am interested in the following
Sylvia- I'd love some dwarf canna, purple iris and a lady banks cutting, cast iron whatever really, relandscaping my dads house which I live at
pkponder- I'd love some mini swamp iris and all the horseherb you can spare. I love that stuff. If you have an extra hot lips I'd love one too but if there is not enough to go around that is fine too.
Remy- would love any type of mint, have a spot by our pond where it can just flourish

My feelings arent easily hurt so if you don't see anything you can use let me know lol

o

weenerdogg, I'd love to have some Texas sage. Is there anything you have been looking for? I have a lot of this and that, just need to dig it if anyone is interested. Bog sage, columbine, purple cone flower, confetti lantana, blue mist, Texas aster, probably more I can't think of.

o

Marti, it gets sunburned & bleached & the leaves split & dry out...
I'd be more inclined to give it too much shade rather than too little.

Do you have a tree you can put it under?
Deciduous would probably be okay, because it would have shade by the time the sun gets intense.

I'll put one aside for you;
I bet you can find a spot.

Gretchen, I can bring you a Shasta daisy, plant not seed;
I'd love one of your columbines.

weenerdogg, I'll bring you the things you asked for, plus I'll dig up some lemon mint if you want it.

Your homemade soup sounds like the best swap or me!

Anybody else want some lemon mint?

This post was edited by sylviatexas on Tue, Oct 1, 13 at 18:46

o

martia,

I would love any of the below: columbine, purple cone flower, Texas aster. I'll start potting up some sage for you.

o

Sylvia,

I would like some lemon mint.

Thanks,

Darlene

o

Weenerdogg I will bring you mints.
Sylvia I would like lemon mint starter plant too

o

Weenerdogg,
I have one last established and rooted Hot Lips with your name on it and will pot up some big roaster pans of horseherb. It grows wild in my yard. I'll bring you some of the mini swamp iris too and if that would be an equitable trade for the delicious Tuscan soup, we would be so happy! I'll check around the edges of my yellow columbine and see if I can get you some of that also.

I am growing small rooted cuttings of Hot Lips, Black and Blue and Salvia Mexicana also. I am just so excited! I've been needing a garden get together after the hot summer.

Sylvia, so far I'm bringing a friend with pots of heurnia to share and my next door neighbor who has lots of stuff that I will help her get ready.

Marti, I have the regular nandina that will probably outgrow the space you have (in width) and horsetail rush that wouldn't quite be evergreen. Mine get awfully ratty looking in the winter. Let me know if either sounds like something that you can use. I can also pot up inland sea oats which grows in almost total shade here. Not an evergreen, but holds many seed heads until it starts greening up in March.

Pam

This post was edited by pkponder on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 12:02

o

bringing lemon mint for Pam & Remy.

Marti, I forgot, I have some nandina also;
it's the 'heavenly bamboo' kind.
probably have 2 or 3.

o

Would y'all mind if I brought my own lunch? I'm kind of a germaphobe. But I can bring some cookies for the rest of you who do pot luck.

pkponder, let me run outside in a few minutes and see if I have any horsetail rush. There for awhile, I couldn't kill it off and then I couldn't keep it going. I don't need any more nandina though.

I was out working in the yard today and pulled up a rosemary limb and found it had rooted. I'll stick it in a makeshift pot and see if it survives being yanked out of the ground.

I looked around and must have thrown out all my old black pots. I only found one old planter. I'll have to run out and buy some Styrofoam cups or something like that.

Is there a cost for renting the pavilion?

This post was edited by marti8a on Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 15:50

o

Marti, of course you can bring your own lunch.
Don't worry about bringing extra for the rest of us!

& if you haven't already bought them, don't spend money on 1-gallon black pots;
I must have a zillion.

We're not renting the pavilion, we're just using the picnic tables in the area, & we use a pavilion if nobody else is using it-
& by October/November there's hardly ever anyone else out there!

o

Can I come by a get a couple of the black pots for some of my larger plants?

o

I'll bring them to the office tomorrow;
do you want 1 gallon or bigger?

o

Pam and Remi That sounds great!!

Sylvia,

I'd love some Lemon Mint too!

I'll try to get some things together so that everyone has more to choose from. Maybe more food since I don't have lots of plants to trade lol

o

1 gallon is fine. I can come pick them up if that would make it easier for you.

Remy, I have okra seeds (actually pods) . I'll break one open tomorrow and see if they are ready to package. I'd like some French marigold seeds if you have any left.

pkponder, I do have horsetail, but I think I'd like brugmansia if you have one left.

weenerdogg, this probably isn't the best time of year to dig up coneflower, but I'll see if there are any small enough to have a short tap root. Would you like some seeds just in case the plant doesn't make it?

This post was edited by marti8a on Wed, Oct 2, 13 at 23:17

o

Trying to get organized this morning! Here's my proposed list:

Darlene: I don't see your wish list :-) Spill it, girl, what do you want? Do you like canna? I have pretoria, tall orange and red indica type bloom,tropicana and a bronze leaf with a red indica bloom if you'd like some of those. I really don't *need* any more plants so they are yours if you want them.

Sylvia: Hot Lips, Swamp Iris, mauve iris for white salvia, pigeon berry and ruellia

Weenerdogg: Hot Lips, mini swamp iris and horseherb for lovely Tuscan soup

Remy: Hales cantelope, Israel Melon, Sugar Baby watermelon, red russian kale, black beauty zucchini, yellow hot wax pepper (if you want any of these, I don't grow many veggies and the seeds are from other gardeners)...for cosmos seed

Marti: Large pink brugmansia for Texas aster and Blue Mist

I recounted and have two more of the rooted Hot Lip's salvias plus I am rooting cuttings to bring.

What have I forgotten?

o

weenerdogg, gotcha down for a lemon mint!

Pam, I'd love any kind of indica canna if you have enough.

Speaking of cannas, does anyone have a Cleopatra to spare?

marti, did you get my email?
I put the pots on the porch at the office.

Does it seem like some years people groan when you say "mint", & some years people want more more more?

My list shows 3 lemon mints are spoken for, so I'm trying to pot up a few more, just in case.

I also potted up a couple of Mother of Millions & a couple of lavender-blooming sedums.

& I''m re-reading Liz Druitt's "Organic Rose Gardening" & got inspired to try propagating by layering;
well, so far I've pegged down *one*, a pink Carpet Rose, & I don't know if it'll be ready by the time of the swap, but if it isn't, there's always next spring!

This post was edited by sylviatexas on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 14:18

o

You've got it Sylvia, I'll bring a clump of each of the three that I have.

o

No, but I just looked and I'm on my way.

I've got them Sylvia. Thanks!

This post was edited by marti8a on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 17:39

o

PK,

I'm getting ready for a swap this Sunday and another one next Saturday in San Antonio. As soon as those two are over and done, I will post my haves and wants list. Thank you for the offer of the cannas, but I have more than I can handle now.

I'm pretty easy as far as wants. I like perennials.

Thank you,

Darlene

o

pkponder, if you have any spare hotlips salvia, I'd like one.

o

You've got it Marti!

Darlene, I'll see what I can rustle up :-) I like perennials too!

This post was edited by pkponder on Thu, Oct 3, 13 at 17:57

o

Marti, seeds are fine. Im not picky at all.

I also have some yellow iris I can dig for anyone. Nothing fancy but nice if that's your thing.

o

tip for the day:

(I hope this isn't something that everybody already knew & I'm the only one who didn't!)

I cut a few clothes hangers apart & used the hook that goes over a closet rod & the "V" shaped pieces formed by the "shoulder" ends to peg down a couple of more plants in the hopes that they'll take root by November 1.

o

Looking forward to the swap, just what all I will have I do not know yet as I haven't started moving things into the greenhouse yet. I know there will be Taro, Ocher Brugmansia cuttings, a red folaged hibiscus, and who knows what all else.

pkponder: I would like a start of horsetail rush if you have enough.

remy 101: I have a small orange tree I started from seed if you are interested . What type is your cacit?

Marti8a: I am interested in Texas Dwarf Water Lily, Rue, Mexican Poinsettia.

Sylvia will tell any of you taht askthere is no telling what I will scrounge from my private stock to bring. Some of you that have traded with me in the passed I have a surprise as I have a few extra of what you have been wanting. It Stinks, only hint you get.

Am looking forward to seeing old friends and making new friends see you at the swap.
Happy Gardening!

o

pyxis, I've got you down for horsetail rush!

o

hmm...carrion flower? (or carrion lily, never can remember which it is)

o

Sylvia are you thinking of Voodoo Lily, Snake Lily? Purple and smells horrid?

o

Here it is;
I saw it on a BBC gardening show about Kew Gardens.

The British are even crazier gardeners than we are!
(& by "we", I don't mean just me & Pyxis, either!)

potted up some chocolate mint for the swap, *but* don't expect a perfect plant by 11-2;
I think of chocolate mint as a kind of Southern belle:
if you distress it, it gets the vapors & it has to have time to get over it.

Here is a link that might be useful: carrion flower

o

• Posted by pyxis 7 N TXted from seed (My Page) on
    Sun, Oct 6, 13 at 19:10

I will have a small Orange Tree started from seed from Chinese buffet, Ocher Brugmansia, Rice Paper Plant and still looking through things as I move them in. I have 1 small 6 inch Jackfruit Tree if anyone is interested, and 1 Ice Cream Bean Tree about the same size, also a few Cinimon Vine bulblets.

o

I would love a bulbet from the Cinnamon Vine.

o

pkponder you are down for Cinnamon Vine.

o

pyxis, I've got you down for those, but the Texas Dawn isn't a dwarf variety, it's a monster. It wants the whole pond. I've got it in a small galvanized trough right now and it's not at all happy.

o

stil puzzling 'bout that stinky prize.

googled voodoo lily & found that 3 different plants are called voodoo lily.

First one is the carrion flower I talked about.

2nd is this one.

Here is a link that might be useful: dracunculis vulgaris

o

& here's the other one.

Here is a link that might be useful: typhonium venosum

o

Marti, If you have enough, I'd like some blue mist flower & columbine.

I love the columbine at the FW Botanic Garden, by the crane statues & the pond.

edited to add:
These shrubs at the office have a lot of wild shoots, & the landlord is going to have them sheared off;
I don't know the name of these shrubs, but they're very hardy, grow in sun or shade, & if anybody wants them, I'll harvest some shoots before the landscape crew arrives.

This post was edited by sylviatexas on Mon, Oct 7, 13 at 17:32

o

You bet Sylvia.

That bush is eleagnus, and on the invasives list. It's not prohibited, but if anyone wants to get the Best in Texas certification, you shouldn't plant that one.

o

marti8a: The Water Lily will be fine I will put it in a 6 ft x 1 ft waiding pool, or if it is small I will winter it over in a 75 Gal aquarium. If required I will turn the old root celler into a pond for it, this will be 6 ft wide 15 ft long and 5 ft deep. Have been going to convert it for two years this will give me a reason. My Plecostomus will like the pond also. Big is great I love things that get gigantic.

Sylvia you got the purple stinkie figured they are
dracunculis vulgaris and typhonium venosum not sure which is which as they got scrambled. I had them sorted the wind upset my system.

o

Pyxis,

I'm interested in your taro, jackfruit tree, ice cream bean tree, and hibiscus red foliage. Is there anything specific you are looking for? I will try and post what I have available this afternoon so you can look at it. Thanks!

Darlene

o

Darlene please send me an email through my member page (& hope it works!)

Thanks.

o

Syliva,

Your member page email didn't work, but I sent to the other address.

Darlene

o

dcarpenter: you have the jackfruit tree, ice cream bean and red hibiscus. If it is weird strange and unusual I will like it. Sylvia will agree that I would be an ecentric but being of modest means I am just a plant nut.

o

Thank you Pyxis! I will see what I can rummage up for you.

Darlene

o

Yes, Pyxis is eccentric...
which is fitting, because I always think that Texans are in some ways very similar to the British.

& the British cultivate eccentricity!

o

Dcarpenter could u please bring me pineapple mint and lemon balm,also if you able to get Mayer lemon rooted cutting at the San Antonio swap. I am very interested in Mayer lemon
Thank you

o

Please let me know if any one interested in Greek columnar basil. It does not bloom .I always grow it from cuttings,also I have 5 African violets,orange and sweet mint,

o

Remy,

I found your plant after you had left. I had stashed it under the table and forgot about it. I'm so sorry. I will definitely bring it to the Ft. Worth swap.

o

Will we be starting around 10? A friend is coming in from Abilene and he pointed out that there was no start time :-)

I am so thankful that my weekend work shifts are a thing of the past!

o

Remy, I would love to try the greek basil as well as some of the mint, but I have none of your wants!

o

pyxis, when I made the offer of rue, it looked great, full and healthy. Today it looks like this.
 photo RueCats2_zps79d4b329.jpg

Because of these little guys
 photo RueCats_zps446ae035.jpg

I noticed a couple of cats on it the other day but thought they were about done with their munching. Now one of them is gone, the other one is much bigger and there is yet another tiny one starting his feeding.

I moved these two to my bigger plant which had NO cats on it, and I'm pretty sure this one will recover. If it doesn't make it, I'll let you know and see what else you might want.

o

• Posted by pyxis 7 N TX (My Page) on
    Thu, Oct 10, 13 at 14:35

marti8a: Plants are resiliant it will come back and with it being in a greenhouse for the winter it will look good in no time. Looks like it needs a cup of TLC every day for a while.

o

Oops!
Yes, we start around 10 AM & we 'swap til we drop' & then have lunch & the prizes, & then we sort of drag ourselves home...or to the Fall Festival!

Abilene is far away!
What do we need to give her for coming to see us?

I have lots of irises & can get more!

(Melanie was always an 'orchid person' when she lived in Houston, & she was accustomed to plants that had to be fertilized, misted, rotated, prayed over, etc.
When she moved north, she couldn't keep the orchids going.
so she put Miracle Gro on the 3 irises that someone gave her...)

& I still have cannas, dwarf & 'regular'.

o

I asked if he was looking for anything specific, Sylvia. Waiting for an answer.

o

pyxis, if the cats will leave it alone for a few days I think it will be fine to plant when you get home with it. I can't figure out why they wanted this plant and not the bigger one. Usually it is the one covered up.

Sylvia, do you have cats, kitty cats? My cat sniffed those pots for 30 minutes before he decided nothing was hiding in them.

o

Hah!

Yes, I have 2 cats, & the pots were stored for a while in the garage of a lady who had cats!

Do you need any more pots?
If so, I can blast 'em with the water hose before I get them to you!

o

Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 19:15

marti8a they will grow fine. have been told I could bring life back to a fence post. Guess thats saying I have a green thumb.

o

Fri, Oct 11, 13 at 20:06

marti8a they will grow fine. have been told I could bring life back to a fence post. Guess thats saying I have a green thumb.

o

No, I think that's enough. They didn't bother the cat, he just had to be convinced there wasn't a cat hiding in them. lol

o
Fort Worth Garden Tour

I just checked my phone and received a message from Melvalena that she won't be going on the Fort Worth Garden Tour as she broke her kneecap and had surgery yesterday.
Please keep her in your thoughts and prayers as she heals.
Contact me at gretwood@gmail.com

Gretchen

o

Oh, poor Melvalena! She is in my thoughts and prayers!

o

Oh no, how awful - and painful. She is in my thoughts and prayers as well. I was really looking forward to meeting her.

o

Marti, I dug up two of the brugmansias, they are much larger than they looked in the garden. One is around 5 ft and the other closer to 6. Are you bringing a truck or should I go ahead and cut it back? The cuttings root like mad in water and you can have have a grove in the spring :-)

o

I was going to drive my small SUV. A 5 ft plant will fit laying down but not upright. A cutting is fine with me, but I hate that you dug up such a big plant for me.

o

Remy, can you bring me an orange mint & a couple of African violets?
I have a Martha Gonzales rose & a Caldwell Pink rose, established plants not cuttings, that I can bring you.

weenerdogg, if you still have some rosemary, I have a 'new' place that needs one!

Pyxis, I set aside a Chinese tallow tree for you, but going over the thread I can't find where you said you wanted one.
I don't dare ask 'have I finally lost it?', but did you maybe edit your posts?

Y'all need to let me know if you want some of the bigger things that you haven't asked for yet;
those cannas & Mexican petunias are in biggish pots & I swear they get bigger when you put 'em in the car! (Every time I carry cannas or Mexican petunias somewhere, I feel like I'm driving a florist's delivery car!)

I'm planning on bringing extra purple iris from Melanie, a couple of lemon mints, a chocolate mint or 2, & 2 pots of liatris/Monkey grass.

Does anyone have a roll of tickets for the drawing?
I had one at one time, but that was 'at one time'!

o

Sylvia, I can get a roll of tickets, I saw them somewhere like Staples. I hear ya on the big plants in the car! We are bringing the car and the truck..oh yeah, my hubby Jeff is coming too. He gardens as much as I do and does all of my heavy work.

Marti, I need to find homes for these brugmansias :-) I am just tired of all the space they take up and they grow tall and so big every year. I have so little sun here and they bloom better with sun. If you just want cuttings, I'll bring some of those too. I have some rooting in water. I am bringing the brugmansia trees and the cuttings, you can choose what you like :-)

o
Autumn Swap November 2

That'll be great, Pam!

Pam, Marti, the way I'm bringing a Chinese tallow tree is:
set the whole pot in a giant leaf bag,
tie the bag securely around the trunk to keep the soil inside, &
lay it down sideways.

Pyxix, never mind;
I found where you had emailed me on facebook!
duh!

o

Pkponder,

I would like a cutting of your brug if you have extra to spare. I will definitely post my list of haves tomorrow. Thanks.

Darlene

o

Darlene, I have a nice top cutting. It's already formed a 'w' (y plus 1) and has been in water for a couple of weeks. Would you prefer it in soil or is water ok?

I have a 6 foot tree too :-)

Sylvia, great idea to contain the mess!

This post was edited by pkponder on Mon, Oct 14, 13 at 18:37

o

Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 12:55

Sylvia: You haven't lost it you are ke me, it for the drive just takes time to reach speed so I remember things. Or is it I just think I remember? There are 3 signs of old age, you start to forget things, and for the life of me the other 3 I have no clue what they were.

I am bringing Yellow (Charles Gramaldi I think) burgs rooted and cuttings, would be interested in different color, been dreaming of a sanguiean for years. Have tried several and they are hard to root. I did get a verigated to root took forever and grows so slow.

Where are we meeting up? Trinity Park but what part?

o

Hi Pkponder.

Thank you for the cutting. Soil or water is fine with me. If you can't find a home for the 6 foot tree, I would be happy to take it off your hands as well. I have a truck so I could throw it in the back. LOL. Thank you again.

o

Pyxis, I have pink brugmansia and a double white fuzzy leaved one that I can bring pre-rooted cuttings from if you want. I know that I said that I'm divesting myself of brugs, but if I could get a cutting of the yellow, I'd love it.

Darlene, there have been no takers on that tree so it's yours :-)

Sylvia, I can bring some stakes and balloons to make it easier to find us if you want.

o

Thank you pkponder!! That is awesome. I know I said I would have a list up today, but I didn't get a chance to get outside last night to see what I have left over from the San Antonio swap. I also need to replenish some things. I definitely will get outside tonight and have a list up tomorrow. Thanks again!

o

Balloons sound *wonderful*!

Can you write "Garden Swap": on them with a wide felt tip marker?

Pyxis, if you head north on University from I-30, you take the first right into the park & follow the road until you see either Pam's balloons or a bunch of people with plants!

You'll pass several parking lots & playgrounds on the left, & then you'll see the pavilions on the right;
we're jusually just in front of the pavilions, by some picnic tables.

o
After the Swap, YOu Can Go to the Japanese Garden fall Festival!

at the Ft Worth Botanic Gardens.

Here's the link!

Here is a link that might be useful: Fall Festival in the Japanese Gardens

o

Tue, Oct 15, 13 at 19:42

pkponder: A interesed in any brugs except yellow I am over ran with yellow. I am bringing rooted and cutings of the yellow. Will save you a couple. Hope to have verigated next year but they grow slow.

The greenhouse repair are almost finised, sure got hot working in there today. Glad it was cool.

Sound like the same place e had our last tade, just before the curve.

o

yep!

o

Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 12:40

Anyone interested in a 4 ft. Yellow Brugmansia in bloom, or a Greap Leaf Cacti that is about 4 ft. Finding more things as they move into the greenhouse.

o

Man I'm way behind!
Just got on the site today and see I have no time to try and root any cuttings.
I will have to look around to see what else I can bring.
I know that I have
2 different mother of thousands,
a small unrooted cutting from my yellow plumeria tree,
a sedum that I use as a spiller in almost all of my flower pots.
cuttings from a bush I call firecrackers small red blooms
some cuttings from my yellow rose bush - I lost the name of it but it blooms off and on all year some roses have a little rosey shade to them.
I can also take some cuttings from my
confetti lantana,
autumn sage
ice plant
seeds from the pink or yellow -oclocks
I will have a few new empty 50 count cone shaped cutting trays
edited - no time to cook the bread.

I 'm not sure what I'll bring to the potluck, a dessert of some sort.

I saw a few things here being offered and am interested in

Sylvia: golden rain tree, purple iris, Pigeon Berry, chocolate mint.

pkponder: pink brug

marti8A: Oxblood lily, Yellow columbine

I am also wanting old burned out incandescent light bulbs, especially the big round ones used in the bathroom vanities. Or larger All you have or can get. TY ;o>

This post was edited by debbiedo7 on Wed, Oct 23, 13 at 19:06

o

Debbie, do you want a whole pink brugmansia or cuttings? I have both a tree about 4 feet tall or I can get cuttings, your choice. I am so interested in the plumeria cutting, I've been wanting yellow. I also have some unrooted pink plumeria cuttings.

I think I have some of those round bulbs, not burned out, but I really don't use them. I think they were from the house we lived in 10 years ago.

Pyxis, is the Greap Leaf Cacti hardy here? I can't find any info on it. I would like cuttings from the yellow brug :-)

Pam

o

Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 15:09

pkponder I always bring the cactus in for the winter try looking for (Cissus quadrangulularis). I have the Yellow Brugmansia in cuttings, rooted small plants and one that is 3 or 4 ft tall, which ever you want.

debiedo7 could I get a yellow plumaria cutting?

I have found small lemon grass starts if anyone is interested.

o

Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 16:58

Have found Horseradish and a White Oleander about 3 ft. Is anyone interested?

o

Ok. I finally managed to get outside last night and start my tradelist. Here goes:

Christmas Cactus
Pineapple Mint
Persicaria Capitata
Mexican Petunias (tall/pink)
Amaranthus (blonde blooms)
Sedums:
Autumn Delight
Xenox
T-Rex
Aizoon
Thundercloud
Autumn Fire

Rootbeer Plant
(1) Sweet Thai Basil
Jewels of Opar
Penstemon (Prairie Dusk)
Castor Bean (red)
Rock Rose (pink)
Salvia (Coral Nymph)
Perilla (Green)
Peanut Plant
Lantana (Samantha) - Cuttings
Agave (Blue)
Skullcap (Blue)
Rat Tail Cactus - Cuttings
(2) Tapioca Trees (small)

Thanks,

Darlene

o

Pyxis,

I'm interested in your horseradish. Is there anything in particular you are looking for? I have several cactus and succulents you might be interested in if you don't already have. Email me at dgalindo@winstead.com and let me know if you are looking for something in particular. Thanks.

Darlene

o

Thu, Oct 17, 13 at 18:22

dcarpenter
I would be interested in Root Beer Plant, Rat Tail Cactus, and Pink Mexican Petunias. You now have Horseradish.

o

Darlene I am interested in pineapple mint,perilla,lemon balm and Thai basil

o

Sylvia I will bring you orange mint,sweet mint,Greek columnar basil and cestrum nocturnum(queen of the night) plants,but I am sorry about the African violet. I asked many times . Nobody was interested,so I give it away. ,but I am very interested in roses including the rooted one
Thank you

o

Debbiedo 7 I am very interested in 50 count trays

Pyrix I am very interested in 2 rooted yellow brugmansia.if it available

o

Sylvia, I can for sure get you some rosemary!

o

pkponder: the pink brugmansia tree will be great. I have your name on the plumeria it it only about 6 inches. It got broke off the tree in the last bad storm we had and is just laying in the pot. horsetail rush and If no one else wants your pink plumeria I'll take it.

pyxis I will see if I have anoiher piece that can be cut from the plumeria tree. I am interested a rooted yellow brugmansia and lemon grass starts.

remy101 got you down for some 50 count trays. I'd like cestrum nocturnum(queen of the night) plants

dcarpenter: I'm interested in - Sedums: Autumn Delight, Xenox, T-Rex, Aizoon, Thundercloud, Autumn Fire, also Tapioca Tree, Penstemon (Prairie Dusk)

I looked around outside today and the roofers made a mess of my garden. I can take some cuttings from my yellow rose bush - I lost the name of it but it blooms off and on all year some roses have a little rosey shade to them.
I can also take some cuttings from my
confetti lantana,
autumn sage
ice plant
seeds from the pink or yellow -oclocks.

This post was edited by debbiedo7 on Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 1:21

o

I have my revised pre-trade list, please nudge me if I promised something not on the list:

Sylvia: Hot Lips, mini swamp Iris, mauve iris, all three indica canna for pigeon berry, purple ruellia, lemon mint and white salvia

Weenerdogg: Hot Lips, horseherb, mini swamp iris for Tuscan soup...yum

Remy: seeds for Hales cantelope, Israel Melon, Sugar Baby watermelon, red russian kale, black beauty zucchini, yellow hot wax pepper

Marti: 5 foot pink brugmansia, hot lips for blue mist and blanket flower seeds

Pyxis: Horsetail Rush, brug cuttings (white and pink) for yellow brugmansia plant and cinnamon vine bulbets

Darlene: 6 foot brug, Pink top cutting for skullcap and blue agave

Debbie: pink brugmansia plant, round light bulbs, long pink plumeria cuttings for yellow plumeria

also bringing tickets for the raffle and green balloons/stakes for the parking and swap area

o

pkponder is skullcap the same as Monkshood if so I would like a start.

o

Pyxis, I don't think it's the same plant. I have a small one and it was called Veronica when I got it. I'm actually asking Darlene for the skullcap :-)

o

pkponder I have tried Monkshood and Wolfsbane from seed and got 0% germination and it is a major pain with all the stages involved to get nothing for months of preperation. Was just hopeing I had found one.

o

I'll keep my eyes open for some.

o

Pyxis: I would be very interested in the red foliaged hibiscus
debbie Do: I would love some of your ice plant
dcarpenter: I always can use any sedums

Here are the swaps I have so far. I'm sure I have forgotten something so please remind me

Marti - gets a Texas Sage
Sylvia - Soup and a rosemary
pkponder - soup!

remy - I see you are bringing me mint, could you remind me what I am bringing you?

So far I have the following to swap
Yellow Iris
Yellow flag (pond) Iris
Autumn Sage
Texas Sage
Rosemary
Confetti lantana cuttings
Texas gold lantana cuttings

o

Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 12:41

weenerdogg would an unrooted cutting be OK, I only had one rooted plant.

o

Debbie, I don't think I can use any of the things you have this year;
I'd be happy to bring the ones you asked for in return for a large can of Folger's Black Silk coffee.

also wanted to say that you need to be sure that your trade partners know that the pumpkin bread is the very small loaves, unless you're bringing something different this time.

If you don't have enough plants to trade, I heard a tip yesterday from a veteran plant swapper who said she stopped at a dollar store one year & filled up a laundry basket with little things to trade.

This post was edited by sylviatexas on Fri, Oct 18, 13 at 14:42

o

Pyxis,

I would be happy to bring you rootbeer plant, rat tail cactus cuttings and mexican petunias.

Remy,

You got everything you asked for!

Pkponder,

I'm happy to bring you skullcap and blue agave.

Weenerdogg,

Sedums it is.

Thanks,

Darlene

o

Debbie
I can give you 1 cestrum nocturnum plant. I can give you glade candles.how many trays do you have can you please send me pictures at
Hinaawais@yahoo.com

o

Debbie, which ice plant do you have, and is it rooted or a cutting?

o

Thank you Darlene

o

Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 17:34

Been a long day but fulfilling. The pond for my Texas Giant Water Lily is plasticed in and filling up. The pond is 6 Ft wideX 14 Ft. long, and depth is from 1 Ft to 4 Ft, it will be aproximately 1750 gallons. I will also move some of my fish into it and watch them grow to show fish size. Nice to see it this close to finished as I have had the idea for almost 2 years. Still have rock work around the edge but that will be easy compared to the digging. Now to build a greenhouse around the pond. My tropicals will love the humidity.

o

Pictures!
Inquiring minds want pictures!

o

weenerdogg got you down for ice plant cuttings
can I get texas sage? And any old LIGHT BULBS lol
remy101

marti8a because yours are plant/bulb I will dig up a plant for you if you'd like..

Sylvia thats cool maybe we can work up a trade in the spring.

remy101 I have 10 or 12 depending on if anyone else wants any they also have the bottom tray, one corner of the trays are chipped but they have never been used. Also note that they are actually 6 X 12 cells per tray.

pictures taken today

Here is a link that might be useful: item pictures

This post was edited by debbiedo7 on Sun, Oct 20, 13 at 17:53

o

That would be great Debbie. I'm afraid I just have too much going on to root anything right now. I'll have to look and see if I have any more columbine I can dig up. But I've got plenty of oxblood so will bring you a pot of those for sure.

o

Good deal on your pond pyxis. Having it in a green house will keep the herons from eating all your fish too. I only have one butterfly koi left thanks to those stinkers.

I was looking over your posts and don't see anything you are bringing that I am interested in.

This post was edited by marti8a on Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 0:04

o

dcarpenter, do you have any penstemon left?

o

marti8a I am still finding things that are going to the swap. I will know more of what there is when I get the Suburban loaded and pull out of the driveway. Is there anything special you are wanting? Could be that it is here or I know someone that has it .

o

Hey, remy, I finally got some cuttings from that monster "Mermaid" type rose.

If you want them I'll bring a pot of 'em.

This is a *huge* rose with wicked thorns...
but it makes a wonderful wildlife habitat,
it'll cover an ugly fence pronto,
& it may have some historical significance as the rose that guarded Sleeping Beauty for all those years!

o

Martia,

Sure thing. I will put one aside for you. Thanks.

Darlene

o

Mon, Oct 21, 13 at 14:21

This is what the ponder looks like after 10 hours work time. My ever faithfull helper is in the fore ground (or should I say the supervisor).

o

I love your pond! What a handsome helper..errr supervisor you have there!

Will your giant lily fill the whole pond?

o

Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 15:39

marti8a How much space will the Dwarf Texas Water Lily require? How deep should the water be and should I plan on heating the pond for the lily?

o

It's not a dwarf lily, it's a Texas Dawn. I'll cut it back so it will fit in one of those square mesh pond pots, but by next June it will be cover a 3' circle of surface and by August, it will fill about 1/3 to 1/2 of your pond. That is, if you fertilize it. It will tolerate up to 3' deep although I've never had it that deep. I have it about 2' although it does better at 12-18". You don't have to heat the water, it is very hardy.

It will go dormant after the first freeze. When it does, cut off all the dead pads and stems and just let it sit there until spring. That's when you do the first fertilizer, and when I usually divide and repot. But I'll do that for you now so you won't have to repot unless you want to put it in a larger pot. I would do that, but I don't have one. By spring 2015, it will have destroyed this mesh pot - the tubers will grow over and through the mesh.

Then fertilize every month and it will turn into the monster that you will both love and hate (if you have any other plants in your pond).

This website has specs for it that might help you

This post was edited by marti8a on Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 15:54

o
Reminder About the Golden Rule

You know the one.

I like to post happy things about swaps, so I'm not happy to have to post this, but I'd rather post it than to have people feel like they've been used.

so this post has 2 purposes:

to re-iterate that being a pig is not acceptable at this swap.
Remember the rule about not asking someone for their cow in exchange for a package of beans?
That also applies to describing your package of beans as something more than it is.
Don't get someone to agree to a swap when you know that what they think they're getting is not at all what you're bringing to them.
If you're a new gardener, or you've moved & need volume, or *whatever*, be grateful for the generosity of other gardeners, but don't try to trick them into granting it.

If you don't have anything to trade that a reasonable person would want, then make it right by offering potting soil or metal plant markers etc, *or don't ask*;
don't ask for a laundry list from *any* of the traders unless you can offer something worthwhile in exchange.

& if a trader asks "how many do you want? & I hear anyone say something like '"all of them" (I actually heard of this happening at a swap), that person will have to leave the swap.

gardenweb does not sponsor this swap, I do.
It's literally my party, & I won't have anyone taking advantage of my guests.

I think we've eliminated the abuse of the prize drawings by limiting the value of the prizes, but if you don't have a nice prize to offer, don't participate in the drawing.
I'm not talking about bringing a basket with lotions & gloves;
I'm talking about bringing something you ought to throw away.
Again, Golden Rule:
If you wouldn't want it, nobody else wants it.

Since it's often hard for any of us to 'take up for ourselves', I am making my services available.
If someone wants you to give more than you're getting, don't hand it over;
let me know, & I'll take care of it.

As I said, I like to post happy things, & I apologize for bringing up a not-happy situation, but I'd rather post one not-happy post than to have anyone be used.

o

Sylvia, you've brought iris to swaps before and you always have them labeled. How do you know in the fall which ones they are? I only know in the spring when they are blooming.

I've been digging up iris and I'd bring them if anyone wanted them, but I have no idea what color they are.

o

pyxis, besides the want list on my first post, I'd like to have a passion vine, clematis vine, or buddleia. I'll add those to my post too.

o

Tue, Oct 22, 13 at 20:55

marti8a I think the passion vine I can cover, it is not large or beautiful but it is a passion vine. I was given 2 and they are twins, you have one of them.

o

Thank you Debbie fir the pictures.i am very interested in trays.i will post candle pictures
Thank you Sylvia for the rose

o

That would be great pyxis. I had a passion vine and it struggled for several years before finally giving up.

o

The only way I know to identify an iris in the autumn...
is to have labeled it back in the spring!

One other way is to have every variety in a different spot, so that if you dig up an iris on the east side of the red yucca, it must be Thornbird, etc.

The only irises I have this time are what I call "Melanie's Purple", since she doesn't know their name & I never have seen them bloom.

o

I wondered if you had every variety in a different spot. All mine are planted together. I love seeing all the colors together when they are blooming.

I've decided that spring is a better time to be digging and transplanting. Nearly everything I've dug up for this swap has suffered wilt. I hope they come back before the swap.

This post was edited by marti8a on Thu, Oct 24, 13 at 1:29

o

Marti, I had the same issue so removed almost all of the leaves. Some are growing back already after two weeks.

o

Some of mine are perking up, but others, like the Shasta Daisy are still suffering. I've dug them up in the spring many times, but they are so tall and lanky now and I'm sure their roots were the same.

o

here is the item 4 barter

Here is a link that might be useful: Click Here!

o

Marti, my Shasta daisies look wilted too, but they're getting ready to die back for the winter anyway;
just dig up the pitiful-looking plant, & the new owner will plant it, & the roots will send up a new crown in the spring.

I have a few daisies that have given up the ghost, & the new crowns have emerged already!

Remy, if you have enough of the lotion and/or shampoo if that's what it is (bad monitor, bad bad monitor!), I'd like to trade...something? anything?

I did pot up another rose for you, looks like another, or maybe the same, China rose, but it's a freebie;
it's a leetle feller & its leaves are yellow, don't know if something's wrong with it or if it's just going dormant early.

I did find some red yucca seeds from this year & some bur oak acorns from 2012;
I had hoped to grow a bur oak, but I can't keep the squirrels out of them!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: This thread has reached the upper limit for the number follow-ups allowed (150). If you would like to continue this discussion, please begin a new thread using the form on the main forum page.

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here