Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
meriberi_gw

san antonio fall plant swap part 2

meriberi
13 years ago

Looks like we filled up the previous page!

Original swapping for the San Antonio fall plant swap started here:

Here is a link that might be useful: san antonio fall plant swap part 1

Comments (53)

• mocha_gold
    13 years ago

Hi Everyone,
    This is my first swap and I finally figured out how to log in and post :-) So here goes...
    Patty introduced me in the earlier thread and I think I already have a few takers for my "stuff". My user name is mocha_gold because I have a horse named Miss Mocha and she is my fertilizer factory - pure gold for gardeners so it made sense -- mocha_gold ... or the poop lady will work too.

The Mocha Gold I'm bringing is quite aged (8+ months) and bagged in dog food/horse grain bags. I will fill them as full as I can handle. I should have at least a dozen bags for the swap. It has been stored in a big compost bin and shouldn't have many weed seeds. Mocha is WELL fed with all the appropriate shots/worming that is sensitive to the environment. I may also bring Mocha "Tea Bags" which my Mom's roses LOVE! It is fresh gold/poop in old pantyhose legs. You steep it in a bucket of water for a few hours and remove (just like a tea bag) then water your plants. The "tea" water doesn't keep very long, and aged gold/poop doesn't work well, so you will need to use it within a few days of bringing it home. Expect rapid new growth, darker colored flowers, and stronger roots.

What I'm looking for in return... hum...
    I like just about anything red and easy to care for.
    I also am interested in ornamental grasses.
    Ferns are always good.
    Maybe some fruit or citrus trees - but my lemon tree dropped its leaves at the top of the tree recently - don't know why...

I am not really picky as I am really just getting started and have almost a full acre to fill with plants, flowers and veggies. Plus my husband is getting me a greenhouse for my birthday this month ;-) My husband does not think I know - it will be a surprise...

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

Mocha-gold, welcome! We're all going to be scrambling to find plants to please you to get some of that good 'stuff'!

I can imagine the 'tea bags' are good 'stuff' too since I saw what the water from buckets with a little fresh chicken manure in the bottom for can do for roses. My neighbor, Georgeanne, has laying hens. She has one rose in her back yard that she watered with fresh chicken manure tea for the first time last year and it was the prettiest thing I ever saw. It was absolutely covered with blooms. She said she's had the rose for years and it never looked like that before.

Looking forward to meeting you next week :-)

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

Welcome and Happy Birthday....a day late. I looked to see if perhaps we have the same birthday, and saw that your's was yesterday.

I am not bringing much this time. I have a storm cloud agapanthus, asters and fanick phlox to offer for some of the
    gold".

fanickphlox

{{gwi:635411}}

asters, These I will dig only if someone wants them.

{{gwi:640666}}

Also red poppy seeds.

{{gwi:620281}}

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

Wow -- beautiful plants Kathy!

Well, nobody asked for them but I'll have several pots of my favorite red canna to offer. As I said the elegant flower is small, but the color just glows and is self cleaning. Five or six flower bracts come up from the same stalk before it's done. Cut back the stalk and it shoots up to make more flowers.

Also will have a sack full of Pride of Barbados seeds and a couple of little P.of B. seedlings I dug out of the yard.

Will have Yellow Mexican Bird of Paradise plants too. Or did I mention that already?

See you in a week!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

Does anybody have Love in a Puff seeds? If you have it you know what it is of course, but if you don't know -- it's a pretty little vine and seeds are black with a little white heart on them.

It volunteered for years, but this last year it didn't come up.

• nbtonya
    13 years ago

Here are a few other plants and what I still have left that was listed before...

Salvia Leucantha (2)
    Salvia Coccinea 'coral nymph'(1)
    salvia Coccinea - red (2)
    Kalanchoe (red blooms)
    white bearded iris (3 full pots)
    Egyptian walking onion (3 pots)
    Vicks plant (2)
    West Texas mist flower (3)conoclinium greggii
    Sago palm (3 pups))
    veronica speedwell (4)

Mocha-gold, I'd like a bag of that wonderful stuff, if you see anything I have that you would like.

Less than a week to go!!

Tonya

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Just got back from the coast, and good news, 2 of the pink and red bleeding hearts have a new leaf, so I dug them up and will bring them for Meredith and Marcie. The red and white one did not make it, but I will bring fresh cuttings the day of the swap. Barbra

• nbtonya
    13 years ago

Just a quick follow up, the sagos I had listed are now committed...

Mocha-gold, I'd also like to pipe up for a tea bag or two...

I directly e-mailed confirmation lists to those that I have e-mail addresses for.

Tia I have down the I am bringing you an amaryllis and you're bringing me Belinda's Dream cuttings.

Meriberi, I am bringing you "Walker's Low" cuttings and I saw on your list that you remember my Archduke Charles cuttings.

Shirley, I've got you some 'walker's low' cuttings.

If I have forgotten anything for anybody, let me know!

Prince Albert, you're bringing me a cutting from that poodle hibiscus. Anything on my list that you're interested in?

Linda, you're bringing me clematis pitcheri seeds and mexican buckey seeds. Can I interest you in anything, too?

Tonya

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

I can bring some CRINUM BULBS if anyone is interested. They are a light pink named variety, but I forgot the name.

• waterjasmin
    13 years ago

Roselee and Barbra, I've just found out my EE is not variegated! I got it from the swap last spring and the lady told me it was variegated. It made sense then, since the leaves were dark purple with green veins. I ran across some plant ordering website and found it is listed as Illustris Elephant Ear. Here is the link that might help http://www.easytogrowbulbs.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=448
    Sorry for the mix up. Do you still want it? Tia

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

Well, they look plenty 'varigated' to me! Beautiful! I'll take some :-)

• jolanaweb
    13 years ago

I will be thinking of y'all Sat when we are in Kansas and maybe by that time wishing I was in SA, lol
    Enjoy!

• renatelynne
    13 years ago

I don't have very many swaps worked out but I will bring plants and seeds anyway in case anyone wants some once I get there. I can also bring fresh bay leaves and rosemary if anyone needs (my plants need trimmed).

I would love some asters, salvia, and anything else deer risistant. thanks loads.

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

Jolana ~ we will miss you, you have a good time.

Renate ~ I will bring you indigo spires salvia and asters.

Kathy aka plantmaven

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

I discovered yesterday that my vitex is growing over part of my neighbor's drive. I will be cutting it today.

It is a deer resistant plant and roots easily.

If anyone wants cuttings, let me know.

This spring I cut a branch and used it as a tomato stake and it is now growing in that pot.

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Renate - I couldn't open the list you posted earlier.

Mocha - I'll bring a small Boston Fern division and some small starts of Zebra grass and another which I'll get the name for you later. Would love some of the "tea."

Jolana - we'll miss you.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Tia, I still want it, looks good to me. Barbra.

• waterjasmin
    13 years ago

Barbra, you got it.

Roselee, I'd like some crinum bulbs. Thank you

Tia

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Mocha, is there anything you want from my plant list? I do not need anything in exchange, if you want something just ask, and I will hold it for you.

I can bring a Royal Ponciana Tree seedling, if anyone wants one. They are from Florida , I started them from seeds I got in June when I was down there. I do not think they can go lower than 32 degrees, same as the Jacaranda tree. Barbra

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

Okay Tia, gottcha' down for Crinums.

• princealbert
    13 years ago

OK here is the list of things that I am bringing to the swap.
    Have for trade or maybe even free to a good home.
    (Tropical Hibiscus)
    Red with white stripe
    Varigated [makes a red flower]

Rose of Sharon: colors a surprise (my cuttings got mixed together)
    There could be -double red, double purple, double white, single white w/ red center.

MISC:
    Trumpet vine , orange [ will dig if anyone wants], Shell vine , Peace lilly, Strawberry tree, Orchid tree, Blue potato bush, Aligator plant, White Eppie cactus, Elephant ear baby plants, redbud tree small 3-6 in tall, single white Brugmansia cuttings, single yellow Brugmansia cuttings (not rooted), Boston fern.

I plan to bring at least 3 of everything.
    I am not really looking for anything in particular except a good time. We are planning to go to the daughters house in Beeville after the swap and return home sunday or Monday. I am gathering the promised items for those who requested them.
    I will review the thread again on Friday around 3:00pm to see if anyone has posted any more wants and try to gather them up.
    see ya'll Saturday.
    pa

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

Wanted to let you all know that I dug up a couple more small PAPAYA TREES (in addition to the ones already promised) from the same batch that produced the one with fruit pictured on the "Mystery tree with large 5-lobed leaves" thread on the main forum.

The nice part about these trees is that they are self fertile. Not all of them are. However, as you know papayas are tender so you'll have to have a green house to keep them in for the winter.

See ya'll this coming Saturday :-)

• nbtonya
    13 years ago

princealbert!

Thanks for your list. I am not sure if you will see this or your e-mail first so am posting my "hopes" in both places. If you still have these available, would love one of each:

strawberry tree
    blue potato bush
    orchid tree (do you know what color blooms it has?)
    redbud tree

I don't have you down to bring anything to, yet. Please check out my list above or e-mail me if you are looking for something in particular, including seeds.

Thanks!

• waterjasmin
    13 years ago

Princealbert, I'd like to have the Shell vine. Let me know what I can get for you. Thanks

Roselee, I'd a papaya tree or seeds would be fine too. TIA

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

TIA, I have you down for a little papaya tree.

Just so you know, these last ones I dug out didn't come up with many feeder roots so I had to cut them way back, but papayas are such strong growers I know they will survive.

• renatelynne
    13 years ago

ok last post on what I'm bringing and can bring. Check out the link for other stuff v/s plants
    http://s133.photobucket.com/albums/q53/renateed/for%20sale%20or%20trade/

Maximillian Sunflower Helianthus maximilianii seeds
    2 Turk's Cap Malvaviscus arboreus I can dig up
    lots Northern Sea Oats Chasmanthium latifoliumI can dig up
    lots of Rough Horsetail Equisetum hyemale I can dig up
    lots of Sharp-pod Morning-glory Ipomoea cordatotriloba seeds
    I can divide some Yellow Flag Iris pseudacorus (I also have seeds)
    lots of White Horsenettle Solanum elaeagnifolium I can dig up
    I have all sizes of black plastic planters from small to great big.
    I have plant markers

I'm bringing stuff for two people (you know who you are - we have exchanged emails) and receiving from 3 or 4 so far. Please let me know what or if you want something....

I'm open to anything that deer don't like too much. I have nearly an acre so there is plenty of room to dig a hole and put something.
    The things I can think of off the top of my head that I can use,,,, any lilies, plumbego, mexican bird of paridise (especialy the pink one), asters, irises, allums,

Here is a link that might be useful: stuff I have

• princealbert
    13 years ago

roselee,
    ME TOO, ME TOO, "a little papaya tree". please, if you have any left.

honeybunny,
    I will take one of the RP seedlings if it will fit into the minivan. I think things will be tight with the boss lady, 2 dogs, plants, and a suitcase for the weekend.
    pa

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Renatelynne, I have you down for a large rootbeer plant, my mexican bird of paradise is yellow, I will bring you a couple of seedlings. Also I will go dig up some plumbego right now. I do not want anything from you. I am going to the swap to socialize, you know Kathy is getting "OLD", and I have not seen her in over a year. Barbra" Spring Chicken"

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

hey! that was not nice! I am "only" 66. But, I will be 67 in 10 days. LOL!!!

I think those of us who started the swap all have the same plants and can no longer pawn anything off on each other.

K

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Well, finally you posted,! I was just having fun. I know we are just a few years apart, and both on social security. Just having fun, and wanted to see you post. Can't wait to see you Saturday at the swap. Barbra

• castro_gardener
    13 years ago

Kathy, you're right ! Now and then, we need to go out and actually buy plants so we have something new to swap. It's always good to have new folks join us because they (hopefully) will bring things that we don't have. :-)

TO THOSE OF YOU WHO ASKED FOR HORSE POOP FROM MOCHA GOLD:

As of right now, she is expecting to come with me tomorrow. However, she has not had time to get back to you each individually to request plants from your list. She has gone back to work after a long hiatus, her hubby has been in Colombia, and she has two kids at home. She hasn't even had time to read all the posts here.

So, please do me a favor for this newbie -- if you have requested poop from her, bring plants that she can choose from. I know she likes red, she wants ornamental grasses, and probably needs perennials, but bring whatever you have. I know that some of you might not have much left after pre-arranging trades, but I hope you can find something in the back yard to bring for her.

We will see everyone tomorrow !

patty

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

Barb, I knew you were jerking my chain.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

I'm getting excited about tomorrow, and just wanted to play. Kathy don't forget your camera, I will take mine, but need help to post pictures. Barbra

• renatelynne
    13 years ago

ohhh gooodie.. more plants@ *giggle and I don't care if you are old or a spring chicken... just as long as you come!

I'm coming with my wheelchair and sister and niece... and probably the dog too (she loves the park) Plus all the fun stuff I'm getting rid of and hopefully some interesting dessert (if I get off my butt tonight and make it) so just hopping to have a bunch of fun.

• princealbert
    13 years ago

OK it's 04:45. The van is loaded. We will be departing around 05:30 after a couple of cups of coffee.
    See ya'll in a few hours.
    pa

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Kathy, your going to kill me, I forgot to take pictures. I took my camera, but forgot to take it out of my purse. I just realized it, after I got home. I had such a good time. I meet so many new people, matching faces to names. This year I don't think we had any walk- ins from the street, like we usually do. I think its because the sign was not out. I had such a good time, and enjoyed everyone, can't wait until the next one. Kathy, I hope you are feeling better. We missed you. Barbra

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

There was a very good turn out and we had such a good time!!! Thanks to everybody that came and thank you all for the plants, cuttings and other goodies, including those beautiful hand strung beads!

Renatelynne, email me your address from 'my page' and I'll mail what I had down to give you. Thank you so much for the pots!

Marcie, don't forget to email me also :-)

Barbra, I had my camera too, but was so busy talking I didn't take any pictures either. Oh well next time. Already looking forward to the next one!

See you all again then -- including YOU Kathy! :-)

• castro_gardener
    13 years ago

Tia, I wanted to email you directly but you did not have your member page set up so that we could email you through GardenWeb. Please send me an email : click on My Page next to CastroGardener (next to any message I posted) and then click email. I would like to get your address and I will send you a crinum bulb.

It was very nice meeting Tia, Dahlia and Andy who came from Houston yesterday. Tia and Dahlia made lovely necklaces as trades and as door prizes !!

As always, it was great seeing Albert and Betty again, who come all the way from Belton. Thank you !!

Cathy and Dick were also new to the swap, and although Marcie was a new visitor for us, she has been attending the Buda swap up the road. Gina also stopped in for a little while. thank you for coming !

Renatelynn and her sister Gina did not get to meet everyone as they were unable to make it at the beginning. I hope you guys will make another swap in the spring to meet all those wonderful people you missed !

It was fun seeing all the faces we recognize from past swaps. Linda, Sheila, Shirley, Joey, Tonya, Ragna, Barbra, Meredith....

Thanks also goes to Robin (Mocha Gold) who brought some wonderful horsey fertilizer for those who wanted the great stuff ! I hope you'll come again !

thanks everyone !
    patty

• plantmaven
    13 years ago

I am sorry I missed this swap.

Thanks Albert, Tonya and Barbara for the plants. Of course saying thanks is supposed to put a hex on them.

I am sooo ready to feel better, but that has yet to happen.
    I have been feeling yuck and had a constant headache for 10 days.

I apoligize to those of you that did not get their trades.

Kathy

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone! That was such a fun time yesterday. We've been working since yesterday to get everything planted and there's still more to do because you all are so generous.

Tia, if I could have your email also. Need some additional advice on the Papyrus. What do you do during freezes? Tried researching, but there's a lot of conflicting advice out there.

• marcie_new
    13 years ago

Thanks everyone for your generosity, I got home and unloaded my bounty, put the cuttings in water, gathered my pots . Cathy I will be sending your packet Tuesday morning.Plantmaven sorry about your being under the weather, I had a good time looking forward to the next swap.Barbara I gave the plumie its own great big pot!used rooting hormone for the cuttings they got potted up today(sunday eve). Cathy the papaya I got from you she has her own special pot, I plan to overwinter her this winter and next year she will go in the ground.I hope to take pictures and post in here for eveyone to see, See you all around Marcie.

• waterjasmin
    13 years ago

Thank you everyone for a wonderful time at the plant swap. We had so much fun and you all made the trip worthwhile.

Patty, I have lots of crinum from Roselee and Barbra, so don't worry about it. Thank you.

rock_oak_deer, the papyrus is a carefree plant. We don't do anything to it during the freezing spells here. Just make sure that you don't plant in the ground as it will take over everything. We have ours in the pond and we have to thin it every so often so if yours can't make it through the winter, you know where to get more in the spring. :)

See you all next spring!

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Thanks Tia, I'll just leave it alone then.

We'll see you in the spring.

-Shirley

• renatelynne
    13 years ago

Thanks for all the plants and all the fun. Sorry we didn't get there earlier. Guess we should have got out of bed with the roosters *g.

I have 4 plants with no tag. Will be taking pics and asking about them.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

I made reservations today to have our San Antonio Spring
    Swap at the same location:

~ ~ ~ ~ April 2, 2011 at MacArthur Park Pavilion #1 ~ ~ ~ ~

The rent had not gone up since last time and thanks to your generosity we collected enough to pay the $65 fee.

However, Barbra knows of a couple of other parks to consider for the FALL swap. One is free and the other is $35 so we're going to check them out tomorrow.

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

That's great Roselee, easy to remember this one as it's Neal's birthday. Glad the fee didn't go up, but it would be a good idea to find a less expensive place for the future.

• linda_tx8
    13 years ago

We missed you, Cathy! Wow, another date already? Nice seeing everybody! I've been busy trying to get some more work in the yard done. Plus, I picked up a truck load of mulch Saturday, so I'm spreading some of that where needed.

• flowerlover78
    13 years ago

so I finally got on here! Thanks everyone for my first plant swap! I had so much fun! I look forward to the spring one. I have lots of work to do. And things to brush up on in the mean time. This is such an awesome site too. Thanks for all the advice on everything as well! Gina

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

Welcome to the Garden Web Gina!

Hey everybody, Barbra and I drove around checking out places for our fall swap and found a place we REALLY liked and it is FREE! Yea! Thank you Barbra for knowing about it.

See you all the same place, MacArthur Park, for the April 2 swap.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

For those that got the pink crinum from me at the swap here's what it looks like ...

I'll try to bring some more to the next swap. If it has sun and water it produces offsets quickly making a nice blooming clump in a fairly short time.

Sponsored
Through The Garden, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars21 Reviews
#1 Landscape Design Build Firm Serving Virginia/Maryland & DC Area