Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brarygrl

Fall San Marcos Swap?

brarygrl
18 years ago

hey central Texas gang - has anyone seen posts or started planning for the annual fall swap in San Marcos? I was thinking I need to get some cuttings started. What does everyone plan to bring? Who wants to reserve the pavillion at the park?

Cheers, Lindsey

Comments (26)

• Linda_8B
    18 years ago

So they buried it in the Exchange page! Those iVillage people are quick! Spike would have left it on the main page a while. I haven't heard anything about a San Marcos swap, so am wondering if noone is arranging it. I'm still hoping for a San Antonio swap...someone offered a site for one...but will go to San Marcos if one is going to happen.

• brarygrl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Yeah, it did get moved pretty fast, but keep watch here - Charlotte has been checking on pavillion reservations and said she'd post when she knows more.

• chargreen
    18 years ago

I'm working on getting the Pavilion reserved in October for the swap. If anyone is a San Marcos resident and would be willing to reserve the Pavilion with the resident's discount please email me. chargreen13@yahoo.com
    Thanks,
    Charlotte

• maddalfred
    18 years ago

Please keep me in the loop. I will be happy to chip in my fair share of any rental charges once we get an idea of who/how many are planning on attending.

Sorry for not keeping up around here this year, real life has a way of encroaching at times.

• DiggerBill
    18 years ago

MaddFred---include me in on that information loop--I'm just down the road from San Marcos ( sorry, not THAT close to get the discount--wrong zipcode) and.....I'm a newbie--what does a person bring to these shindigs???

• chargreen
    18 years ago

The pavilion at Rio Vista Park in San Marcos is officially reserved for Saturday October 22. A Big Thanks to Diana for getting the resident discount. Also, thanks to Linda and Lauren for helping too.
    Keep looking here for Updates and the Map as the swap gets closer.

Charlotte

• sresutek
    18 years ago

Any idea on what time these things usually start? My husband's relatives are in town that weekend, and even though we're planning a trip to Fredricksburg/Llano that day, I'd like to stop by and get some swapping done!

• brarygrl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey gang,
    we have a great set of info that Teri put together last spring that gives all the info about the swap and that will appear here in the near future, but to answer your immediate questions, the swap usually starts at 9am sharp and we usually do doorprizes and a potluck lunch around noon. It's usually all over by 1:30 or 2 depending on weather and how many people come. As for what to bring, the options are wide open. Plants of course, either divisions of your perrenials, or cuttings you started or seeds you collected and labeled. Sometimes people bring whole plants they decided they didn't like anymore or didn't have room for. Also, if making new plants is not your thing, you can bring gardening related items, books, terra cotta pots, tools, etc... People are generally very generous and eager to manke newbies feel welcome so there are no hard and fast rules about what you can bring. Also, most gardeners just don't want to take any of their own stuff back home so they are often not expecting a "even trade".

There is also a list of things you may find useful to bring:
    camp chair or stool
    card table (there are a limited number of pavillion tables)
    extra plant labels and marker
    extra plastic pots - usually someone needs these
    plastic bags for transporting goodies
    plastic nursery trays for transporting goodies
    Drinking water
    rain jacket (for some reason our swap usually causes a shower!)

Hope that helps and stay tuned for more info.
    Cheers,
    Brarygrl

• Linda_8B
    18 years ago

Get things potted up or start cuttings NOW. Less than a month to go and time flies! I put a link to this thread in the main discussions page, in case people didn't hear about it.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    18 years ago

Thanks for the information, I also have been hoping for a San Antonio swap. I will try and be there. I need to get started on my cuttings, the last batch fried. Today was 104.

• brarygrl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey San Marcos swappers! I started some cuttings today so here's a starter list for what I plan to bring:

Southernwood
    Mexican bush sage
    Ice plant - peach colored blooms
    Euphorbia rigida
    Rosemary
    Various seeds

• diana888
    18 years ago

I am looking forward to the swap too. Here are some plants/seeds that I have so far.

lemon grass
    blue plumbago
    garlic chives
    cannas
    seeds: hyacinth vine, texas mountain laurel

Is anyone looking for anything in particular?

Diana

• honeybunny2 Fox
    18 years ago

Just got a call from Randolph Door Company in Corpus Christi, the doors that we ordered almost 2 months ago, will be in on the 18th, and they will install them on either Oct 21, or Oct 22. I will need to be in Rockport, so I will not be able to go to the plant swap. I would be willing to help if someone wants to get a plant swap started for San Antonio for in the spring, that way we have more time to get one organized, and the plants have more time to get established.

• sresutek
    18 years ago

I'm a newbie, and hope to make the plant swap this year but we will have relatives in town. Let me know if any of these appeal to you, or if you have any in return. That will let me know if I should try to come or not (although Lindsey DID offer to help me!)

Plants I'm looking for:
    Yarrow
    Black-eyed Susans
    Gaillardia (prefer burgandy)
    Carolina Jessamine
    Ruellia - Katie, purple
    Pride of Barbados
    Typical purple/yellow iris (drought-tolerant kind, not Louisiana type)

Seeds I'm looking for:
    Mexican sunflower
    Zinnia (all kinds)
    Sunflowers (all kinds, prefer a mix of warm tones)
    Cosmos

Plants/seeds I have to trade:
    Calla lilies (bulbs)
    Esperanza (4" pots)
    Maybe a few small trees (crabapple, washington hawthorne)
    Mexican poinciana (will dig up if anyone wants them - I have 2)
    Other misc seeds (sherlock, triplet lilies, windflower)

• linda_tx8
    18 years ago

Plants I'm probably bringing:
    Big Red Sage
    Mexican Honeysuckle
    Winecup
    Flame Acanthus
    Gold Columbine
    White Mistflower
    Inland Sea Oats
    Pineapple Sage
    Cedar Sage

And does anyone have any extra Spider Lily bulbs (preferably red)that they could spare? I could use some pots, either gallon size or a bit smaller (not 4"). I have plenty of 4" pots if anyone needs any.

• DiggerBill
    18 years ago

Oct 22 is a week away.
    Looking diligently here for directions. I can find San Marcos--no problem. There are about three logical places for a "Pavillion" to be but ya got me on which one you folks are going to bring all those fantastic plants to.
    Can anyone send me ( a newbie here --March 2005) via email or maybe post in here??
    I'll bring some vinca cuttings and some others if they get better looking--been a hot summer here in River Chase.
    Digger

• linda_tx8
    18 years ago

My goodness! I didn't realize noone had posted the directions for the park. I found these from a previous swap we had there:
    Rio Vista Park is just west of I-35 bordered by Riverside Dr. on the north and CM Allen Parkway on the south. The park address is 555 Cheatham Street, which connects Riverside and CM Allen Parkway. Reynolds Street is a spur street off of Cheatham going west into the park. Pavilion B is across Reynolds Street from the pool area.
    I'd suggest getting directions also from a site like Mapquest so you won't get lost (easy to do, believe me).

• maddalfred
    18 years ago

Recent developments on the home front have forced me to change plans for the swap date in question so I won't be able to attend after all.

I really do hate to miss it but this is just another case of life stepping in and changing the best-laid plans. I guess that's what I get for planning something so far in advance.

I hope everyone has a good time and gets the plants, seeds or cuttings they are seeking. Maybe I will be able to make the spring one, but this time I won't be planning on it as heavily.

• LynnieSA
    18 years ago

Just finding out about this...I'm a newbie.

I would be up for an impromptu SA swap sometime soon OR in the spring (which would give me a chance to actually get a few plants etc properly gathered together)

I look forward to meeting some of you but can't make the 22nd.

• brarygrl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hi swap friends!
    I found some of the info Teri posted from our spring swap which still applies this time around:

San Marcos, Rio Vista Park, Pavilion B. It's near the restrooms.
    Here are some directions, and below that is a website for San Marcos, where you may find more information on the park. Rio Vista Park is just west of I-35 bordered by Riverside Dr. on the north and CM Allen Parkway on the south. The park address is 555 Cheatham Street, which connects Riverside and CM Allen Parkway. Reynolds Street is a spur street off of Cheatham going west into the park. Pavilion B is across Reynolds Street from the pool area.

www.ci.san-marcos.tx.us

We will again have a potluck lunch if you can bring something you make or get from the store.

We will also have door prizes if anyone would like to make or donate an item for the drawings.

If I've left anything out don't hesitate to post your questions!
    LS

• teri_mico
    18 years ago

Hi guys,
    I just wanted to let you know that I will be a no show this weekend. DH and me will be out of town for the weekend so I won't be able to attend.

I will be sure to grow some nice babies for the spring swap!!

Teri_mico

• linda_tx8
    18 years ago

Lindsey, if you've got southernwood, I'd like to try some. And Sarah, I didn't notice before that you needed Mexican Sunflower seed. I have some of that and would be happy to share. Great butterfly plant!

• chargreen
    18 years ago

It looks like the weather is going to be really nice on Saturday for the swap. I have the paper goods for the potluck lunch. Does anyone want to volunteer to bring an ice chest and ice?
    For all of you lurkers and newbies don't be afraid to come, you will have a great time!
    I know several of the regular group are going to come and bring some great plants.
    Teri, Maddalfred and honeybunny2 you will be missed.

• brarygrl
    Original Author
    18 years ago

Hey, I can bring a cooler and ice. I'll also bring the stuff for the doorprize drawings (paper, pens, jar) so don't forget to bring items to contribute towards the doorprize.

Oh and a few bucks - don't know if we made that clear in earlier posts that we need to repay the person kind enough to float our group reservation at the pavillion so plase plan to bring a few bucks to contribute.

Something ate about half my cuttings this week, but my determination cannot be crushed! I'll see everyone on saturday!
    Brarygrl

• diana888
    18 years ago

I know I'm late responding to this thread, but I had a great time at the swap and wish to thank everyone who participated and helped put it together (especially Charlotte)! We didn't have a huge crowd, but it was still interesting, educational and exciting for me!

• dcal7067
    18 years ago

I am relatively new to this site and I am very pleased to have found it. I have done several trades and am happy witht them so far. I was glad to hear that swap meets are actually done in areas to allow members to meet and trade/sell. I am in San Antonio and of course would like to have one scheduled for the spring. I wouldn't even mind helping a veteran coordinate it. I was sorry I missed the San Marcos one as it sounded like a very organized one and it seemed people were very interested and very ready for it. I think it would be such fun so if anyone either hears of a swap planned for San Antonio in the spring or would like some help getting it together, I would love to help.

D

Sponsored
Haus Studio
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars28 Reviews
Franklin County's Preferred Custom Cabinetry & Design Studio