Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Want to trade for Potato/Multiplier Onions, Have Egyptia

Posted by tejas55 8a (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 28, 10 at 2:39

I have a large amount of Egyptian walking (tree) onions to trade for potato onions ("multiplier" onions). Any amount, hopefully large. Now would be a great time to be planting either. Egyptian onions are not a sweet onion and can be rather hot and they don't get huge but they multiply like crazy. First of all, the parent plant muliplies into a large clump of onions. Secondly, they produce clusters of babies at the top of the stalk and these babies make their own leaves and those babies even make their own babies. All these babies can be replanted. They are hardy even in Canada. I planted my very small bulbs last November 1 and they were sprouting leaves in 3 days. They survived our very frigid winter and made a huge amount of babies in spring 2010. You'll have onions and green onions year round no matter where you live. The grasshoppers ate them all to the ground this summer but keep on putting out new leaves.

Follow-Up Postings:

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Texas are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here