Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alwayseagertolearn

WANTED: Flores Street House Eater rose cutting

AlwaysEagerToLearn
10 years ago

I am willing to trade pandanus amaryllifolius for it if you are in the Houston area. All other area must accept trade of rose cuttings or Epiphyllum oxypetalum.

Thank you.

Comments (13)

• AlwaysEagerToLearn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I can root the roses for you if you are in the Houston area. I have "The Fairy," Duchesse de Brabrant, Mrs. Dudley Cross, Spice, and New Dawn.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

I have the Flores Street House Eater Rose. I am in San Antonio, but my son has been going to Houston to work during the week, and comes home on the weekend. He is working in the Woodlands. I can start the cuttings and root them for you, or I can send him down with just cuttings, what do you want? Barbra

• AlwaysEagerToLearn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

If your son will be working here for awhile, I rather have a rooted specimen.

Thank you so much for your kindness.
    I am going to send you an email when I can. My little one year old is constantly pressing the power button on my notebook book. I'll let you know what I have to exchange.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

My son will be there thru the Holidays. I don't know if they will root by then, but I will try my best. I have a lady coming tomorrow to take cuttings from the rose, I will take cuttings and put them in my magic pot. I also need to make sure I have some rooted plants for the Gardening in Texas forum members for the April plant swap here in San Antonio. Barbra

• AlwaysEagerToLearn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

This is what I have to offer: Peristrophe roxburghiana, pandanus amaryllifolius, Epiphyllum oxypetalum, 'The Fairy,' Duchesse de Brabrant, Mrs. Dudley Cross, Spice, and New Dawn. I can't make it to the April plant swap, unless someone around here wants to drop by and pick it up. I usually do all my rooting of roses during the fall and give it away in spring. Anyone that attends the swap meet is welcome to request what I have for nothing in exchange. All the tropical plants listed are ready now. The roses, I have not rooted yet.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

I don't want any plants in trade, I took cutting and started them today for you, Flowerlover came over and got her cuttings. She was excited when she got to see the rose, and see what the bloom looks like, the fragrance was heavenly. She was very excited. I told her it needs lots of room to grow. I showed her where the rose rustlers came in my backyard and cut three hugh stems just above the ground. They left me just one, but I still have 10ft of rose, the stem they left is as thick as a oak tree. This rose blooms quite a few times during the year, it is a conversation piece, when in bloom. It has clusters of blooms, so it looks like it is blooming large mums. Barbra

• AlwaysEagerToLearn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

My wife wants to stay at the Riverwalk during Thanksgiving weekend. I reminded her that it would be delightful, but we have a year old and a four year old now. The holiday crowd will make it difficult to maneuver two kids around. If she gets her way, I may get the rose from you then. I love the personal history behind your rose bush. I read all of your postings regarding it. It is sad now to hear 2/3 of your rose has been destroyed. But it will regrow.
    Thanks again, I look forward in meeting you and receiving your rescued Flores Street House Eater rose.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    10 years ago

I am happy, that you want the rose. I love sharing it with other Texans. I really do think that is why I ended up with it in the first place. So I can make sure it will continue to live on. I live just off 410 by the medical center in San Antonio, and your welcome to come to my house to take the cuttings yourself. I also have brugmansia looks like peaches and cream that have rooted, if you are interested in them. My plant that is taller than my house was flushing with hundreds of blooms and it broke the 2 top branches in the middle, They were on the ground, I cut them and put them in water, and in 2 weeks they have already rooted, and you are welcome to some of those, if you would like. My son is going to take some of the rooted cuttings to the Woodlands in Houston, when he goes back on Monday. He showed the pictures to a man, and he wants some of them, he has white now, but these are prettier. I know for sure I will be in San Antonio on Thanksgiving Day, but we usually leave to go to the coast the day after Thanksgiving. I could meet you somewhere downtown the day after Thanksgiving, and just drop them off . We drive right by the Alamodome and all the hotels downtown, on our way out of town. We will be packed and traveling with 3 dogs, so we would have to have a prearranged time and place to meet. If that would be better for you, let me know. Barbra

• AlwaysEagerToLearn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Barbra,

I have always admired the beauty of Brugmansia, but I will have to pass on that offer for now. I do not grow anything poisonous for the fear of children eating things they should not. It seems that Thanksgiving weekend will not be possible for us to meet then. I always have to rest on Friday from cooking all day Thursday. The last guest always leaves around Midnight. If we were to go there, we would arrive on Saturday afternoon, leaving Monday afternoon. My wife loves making me drive out west at least twice a year, so there are plenty of opportunities for me to get that rose.

• beachplant
    10 years ago

you can always send it with me at the spring swap. See if you can get one rooted for me? I killed the cuttings. One of these days I might actually root a rose, and probably drop dead from the shock.
    Tally HO!

• AlwaysEagerToLearn
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Tally,

I do not have any cuttings of the "Flores Street House Eater" rose yet. I will root everything else that I do have. Thanks for volunteering to take it to the spring swap. That is strange that no one wants "pandanus amaryllifolius." I was sure someone wants it. If any one wants it, speak up before the swap, so I know how many to save for the group. They go fast around here in the Asian community.

• beachplant
    10 years ago

Sorry, I meant for Barb to root it for me LOL!

We have a couple of people at the swap at Mercer who area always interested in food plants. I`ll swap you for one in the spring. The pandanus amaryllifoliius that is. I`ll put it at the community garden in my plot.

Tally HO!

• Joe Moose, Zone 9A
    7 years ago

[peeks in] Sorry to bring this thread back, but I am wondering if you still have some cuttings? And if so, may I have one or two? Thanks.