Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Strawberry Guava plant or seed

Posted by nana_7b Flower Mound (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 17, 10 at 8:07

I have regular guava seed and seedlings as well as other plants to trade.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Strawberry Guava plant or seed

Nana, the strawberry guava is on the list of 100 worst non-native invasive species in the state of Texas. Apparently because they are such prolific plants and they also have chemicals in the plant that kill and prevent other plants from growing nearby they are strongly discouraged from growing here. Since they are subtropical plants, native to the Pacific coast of Brazil I don't see how they can even grow here except in homes and greenhouses. But they do enough harm to be a threat to native endangered species. If you do find one I hope you are able to keep it isolated from other plants and from the birds outdoors or the seed will get spread and you don't want that to happen. Cheryl

o

Wow Seamommy, that is the first time I hear that. I grew up in a home with several guava trees (differant varieties) and many people have them in there homes down here and I have never heard that. I can say though that thinking back, the ground around them was pretty bare, but only a couple feet around the plant. They are still in my mother's yard, although she has know passed away and still I don't find seedlings anywhere. I do have seeds to one that is so sweet and delicious and has the shape of a pear. it does not smell bad at all and the fruit only gives off about 3-4 seeds instead of a the usuall thousand. I will have to rethink where I should plant that tree when I do grow it. Thanks for that info. Josie

o

I didn't know it either until I googled it. When I saw that Nana wanted one, and it sounded so delicious I was wondering, 'do I want one too?' But when I saw that info I was shocked.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Texas are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here