Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rebecca150

WANTED: Possible swap for Denton County

rebecca150
16 years ago

I posted this in the discussion area also!

I have had a few people that were highly interested in the Fort Worth Plant Swap tell me that I should do something like that up here in my neck of the woods.

Not that I would forsake all you Fort Worthers. Heavens to Betsy NO! You guys are my buddies now:-) But I have a few people that are interested in a plant swap that is closer to our local and I thought that other people would be interested in it as well.

I wouldn't mind setting something up for springtime. I would love to hear from anybody that is interested in coming! Chime in and give me your vote if you live in the Denton County area and would be interested in attending.

Sylvia, if I do something like this could I enlist your help? You did a really great job on pulling the Fort Worth swap together and I would probably have some questions for you along the way.

Please drop your comments here!

Rebecca

Comments (107)

• debbiedo7
    15 years ago

I'm planning on attending - but won't know what I'm bringing until after the Ft Wth swap.

Anyone that isn't going to make it to the ft Wth swap & would like to trade for a name tag look on the WANTED: Ft Worth Swap April 12, Part Deux! I have samples to choose from.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/txgard/exch032049302933.html?151

Debbie

• sylviatexas1
    15 years ago

Carrie, I'd guess that a lot of people are absorbed with the FW swap, since it's coming up before this one;
    once that's over, I'll bet you'll see a lot more activity on this thread.

Also, remember that the FW swap has been going on for a number of years, building up each year, *and* that we had a great story in the Dallas News...

You might check with the News & see if there's time to get your swap included in the Friday garden section calendar.

but I'm wondering where's Rebecca too.

anybody heard from her?

• kcbarron372
    15 years ago

Hi, I missed my swap in Houston and hoped that I could make it to yours. Unfortunately, I think I have to work the night before, which would make it hard to get there. How long of a drive would it be to Denton?

Does anyone know where I could find a whiskey barrel? I would trade my eye teeth!!!!! Or something of more value. Christy

• melvalena
    15 years ago

kcbarron372, Denton is about 45 mins to an hour north of Dallas depending on where in Dallas you're starting from. :)

• tobydmv
    15 years ago

I'm in but we just moved and I don't have anything to trade yet. I started 4 coral honeysuckle cuttings. Maybe they will be ready by the swap. Of course I will take all your unwanted plants and give them good homes. I could sure use some more natives. Maybe some members of npsot will show up.
    Toby

• rebecca150
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm here folks. My husband has been having health problems. Landed himself in the hospital with heart problems. Thankfully all the tests so far have shown that he has had no damage or blockages, but we can't figure out why his heart keeps speeding up and beating irregurally. Keep us in your thoughts. It's been a tough and scary few weeks :-(

How did everbody do with the storms? We had no damage in our area, just a lot of rain. I see though that lots of people weren't so lucky.

I hope to see a lot of people at the swap on April 26th at 10:00 at South Lakes. I'm off to check my e-mail. I haven't been checking it much lately so if anybody would like to contact me, the best way would be my phone. 362-9838 are code 469.

Hope everyone is okay from the storms.

• melvalena
    15 years ago

Rebecca!! I hope your hubby's drs get everything sorted out and fixed quickly.

Let me know what I can do to help with this swap.

• mikeandbarb
    15 years ago

Hi Rebecca, Sorry to hear your DH is having health problems. Hope he get's better soon.

Barb

• tessa74
    15 years ago

oh Rebecca, i'll be praying for you and your hubby. As for the storm, we were lucky not to have sustained any damage at all. Just a sleepless night. Anywho, i do still plan on attending the swap. Unfortunately, my seedlings (tomato and peppers) aren't doing as well as i anticipated. Only a few have developed their true leaves so far. I will bring what i can, but i have to warn everyone, they're pretty small! I don't expect anything in return for them though. I'm just wanting to share.

Sylvia, i do have some loquats that i brought back from my moms house in California. Dug them out the morning i was leaving and soon as i got home i planted them in containers. However, they are not looking so hot. Their leaves are really crispy. I'm not sure how healthy they are, but i will bring them with me. Maybe you'll have some luck with them.

Debbiedo, the black pearl pepper and campari tomato are ok looking, but like i mentioned above, pretty small. I think the Hillbilly are even smaller :-( .

Anyways, like i said, i don't expect anything in exchange for my pitiful little plants, just want to share and meet fellow gardners. See you all soon! oh and i will be bringing a friend. Have a good one all!

Jenn

• rebecca150
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all. We have one more cardiologist appt and one complete physical coming up. So far, they haven't found anything bad.

I'll be bringing plates and cutlery and a couple dishes. If anybody wants to pitch in a covered dish for a potluck that would be really nice.

Rebecca

• tessa74
    15 years ago

I can bring something. maybe a dessert, cookies or brownies maybe. lmk. jenn

• lynda40
    15 years ago

Thanks to a new friend I have heard of this plant swap. I asked what I could do with about 100 or so bronze ajuga and she told me about this site. Would love to contribute at your denton plant swap if anyone is interested in the ajuga. I may also have some tomatoes, sweet peppers, cilantro, lemon mint, spearmint (they are potted in plastic garden pots and growing although still small) and a few moon flower seeds. I also have lots of the variegated yellow grass and the big green mondo grass (gets the size of pumpkins).

• melvalena
    15 years ago

OH Goddie!!!! Lynda showed up and even posted!!!

I could use some of your ajuga!!

I can't wait to actually meet you in person!

• seamommy
    15 years ago

I live in Parker county and went to the Fort Worth swap and still haven't had time to plant a single thing yet. But being the obsessive/compulsive type, I might like to come to the Denton swap too. If it's OK Rebecca, I would like to give you a call and try to get some directions. I don't go up to Denton too often, but after 27 years in the service, I'll go just about anywhere for some free food and free plants. By the 26th, I'll have a lot more things up and blooming than I had for the last swap too. I traded/gave away all the seeds I had left over from last fall, but I have shasta daisies out the wazoo. I also might be able to part with a couple of my roses. Cheryl

• rebecca150
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tessa, dessert sounds good.

Evette, I hope your reading this... The e-mail I sent you bounced back and I couldn't get through on the number you called me at. I'll keep trying to get a hold of you again!

Seamommy, please feel free to call. I'm including a link for directions to South Lakes Park. Hopefully that will help.

Rebecca

Here is a link that might be useful: Location of Denton Plant Swap

• carrie751
    15 years ago

I have a family reunion this week-end, and will post more next week, but I plan on being there. Rebecca, are we each responsible for our own paper plates, cups, etc?

• lynda40
    15 years ago

Thanks melvelena. I look forward to meeting you also. I will bring you plenty of ajuga. My Angel is settling into her pot niely. thanks again.

• rebecca150
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Good question Carrie, I will take care of the cups, napkins, plates and cutlery. I will also be bringing some drinks.

Would anybody like to help bring ice?

Rebecca

• ginae
    15 years ago

Hey everyone. I JUST found this site. I am sooo excited. My grandmother use to swap. I would hear her talk about it or would show me plants and tell me they came from a friends cutting. Now I wish I would have paid more attention and asked more questions. I am completely green when it comes to swamp meets. Can someone take a moment and explain it to me? Sorry...
    Also, what types of stuff do you swap? I have never done cuttings or anything like that but would love to learn.
    I do have some gourd seeds, morning glory seeds and 3 year old lilies that I guess can be divided.
    Gina
    McKinney

• melvalena
    15 years ago

I can bring lots of ice! I have plenty of coolers that need cleaning out before a camping trip the next weekend.

I'll also bring some food of some kind.

• mommyfox
    15 years ago

Hey guys! I wasn't going to come to this one - figured the Ft. Worth swap would be enough for me - but what can I say, I'm an addict. I'm a bit cleaned out from the first one, but if anyone's interested in some of this stuff I'll bring it up:

I have lots and LOTS of lirope. Big huge mounds. Any takers?
    Sweet violets (wild type)
    asian jasmine
    algerian ivy
    artemesia
    balsam seedlings (they are little)
    I might could find some post oak seedlings. There's a great big wild area next to us, undeveloped commercial land, with heeeeuge old post oaks. There are always little seedlings that come up then don't make it because hello, there's no light.
    coreopsis (yellow, fringe-type leaves)

I've taken cuttings of double purple rose of sharon and bridal wreath spirea. They haven't rooted yet but I could bring a few if someone's interested in babying them.

As far as things I need ... I always need things for shade because I have so much, and blue, purple or white stuff for brutal full sun. Also looking for cool yard art stuff, like pots, birdhouses, wall hangings and the like. I also need two big columnar evergreens, like junipers or sky pencil hollies - a long shot that anyone would have them, but I won't know until I ask, right?

Does anyone need a big dog crate? We had to find our dog another home recently when she bit my toddler. She was a 35 pound Spaniel mix. The crate's in good condition, solid shell-type thing with a locking heavy duty wire front so it can be used as an airline carrier too. I was going to sell it for $50 or so, but figured I'd put it on here and see if someone had something cool garden-related to trade!

Rebecca, do you like columbine?

• tessa74
    15 years ago

GINA OF McKINNEY ! I'm from McKinney also! Can't wait to meet ya! I would love to take some of those lilies off your hands if you have any to spare. I'll have some tomato and hot pepper seedlings to share if you're interested. Will also have lots of different types of veggie seeds if your doing any veg's this year. This will be my very first swap ever, so maybe someone with more experience can answer you about what types of stuff you can swap.

Also folks, i have a few (3) packages of that soil moist stuff. they're those crystal looking thingies that swell up when wet.

have a great evening!

• debbiedo7
    15 years ago

Tessa,
    I would be interested in some of your crystal water beads.

Ya know you can also make a tube of fabric, put a few beads in the tube. Sew it up & add ties, soak it in water & tie it around your neck to stay cool in the garden while working in the hot summer. I had one before that I bought & used to wear.

• alley
    15 years ago

I was planning on coming to this swap, but now I'm not sure. The storms on thursday night (when they say baseball sized hail, they weren't kidding) wiped quite a bit of my stuff out. I don't really know that I have anything left to trade (I have a call to insurance about the roof, and apparently plants and landscaping can be part of a claim). I'm waiting to see how things recover, but I suspect that the stuff I was going to trade is going to be needed as replacements. I lost quite a bit that night, including stuff from the ft worth swap. I am very sad about the whole thing. But, it could have been worse. At least my family is safe and sound.

• melvalena
    15 years ago

you might be surprised by how fast and wonderful your landscaping recovers from a hail storm. Several years ago my yard was totally shredded, every single leaf on every plant and tree was totally destroyed. Including all the newly placed bedding plants. I was so crushed it took me days to start the clean up. But with in 2 weeks you'd never know it had happened! The fence and the roof however didn't recover. The roof was replaced, the fence still has 'scars' all over it. :)

Let us know what plants you think need replacing.

• mommyfox
    15 years ago

Alley, we didn't fair so bad down here in Arlington. If you need some filler to make things look good again, I have lots of liriope, artemesia, violets, asian jasmine and algerian ivy.

• carrie751
    15 years ago

Ally, so sorry about the damage. We were spared here in Copper Canyon this go round. I, too, am a little light on plants after the Ft. Worth swap, but will try to get some more plants dug up. I am not really looking for a plant for plant swap --- I still do not have all my last swaps plants in the ground as yet. I am really looking forward to meeting all you happy gardeners, and visiting with the ones I already know.

• tessa74
    15 years ago

Debbiedo, i was wondering if those were the same crystals inside those things. thanks for the answer. Well, i guess i'll be saving a package for myself to make those things. i'll have a package reserved for you!

Jenn

• carrie751
    15 years ago

Does anyone want cannas????

• lynda40
    15 years ago

would love some cannas Carrie, I sent you an email but just in case wanted to let you know. And seamommy if any of your shasta daisies are still available would love one.

• tessa74
    15 years ago

OMG!!!! I might not be able to make it after all :-(
    Arghhhh!!! I have a friend who is in financial trouble and she and her husband need to go to San Antonio for some kind of job thingie ma jiggie and i might need to babysit her kids that weekend. If i bring them, i won't have room to bring the stuff i want to bring! Oh the delima!

Debbiedo, so far i have for you- black pearl pepper, hillbilly tom, campari tom, and a pack of water crystals.

Sylviatex, i have one lonely loquat survivor. Its just barely hanging in there, but it does have one healthy leaf. the rest of the leaves are crunchy.

If i don't get to go to the swap, i might be able to find a proxy. If i can't we'll figure something else out. I know i can mail the crystals but the plants wont make it. will keep updating. :-(

• rebecca150
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Alley, so sorry to hear about your home and garden. Don't worry about not bringing things to trade, it can't be helped that mother nature decided to play ball in your back yard.

Ginae, you can swap just about anything. As long as the person your swapping with is agreeable, then you are good to go! Feel free to bring those seeds and divided plants.

Melvalena, thanks for volunteering for the ice!

Julie, I do like columbine. I got some last year from my neighbor. It's blooming right now but it was a suprise, it's not the yellow kind that I thought it would be but the cute puff ball kind. I'm hoping it spawns off lotsa little seedlings for the fall.

I'm not looking to be on the receiving end for a lot of stuff. I haven't had time this spring to do very much bed prep and such. But I can't wait to get together with you all. I was thinking of a whole bunch of questions about gardening that I want to ask, I just hope I can remember some of them.

Sigh, mommy brain is mixed blessing.

I have to go for now, the kids are just NOT leaving me alon@!

LOL

• rebecca150
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Pop on over to the head count thread if you definetly plan to attend.

I do not have a cell phone, would someone be willing to volunteer for the position of contact person(for the day of the swap)? Just in case anyone has difficulty finding the location?

Rebecca
    469-362-9838(home number)

Here is a link that might be useful: Head Count!

• mommyfox
    15 years ago

Well, my friend decided to have her kid's birthday party that day. Her son is my son's friend as well, so we have to go. -_- Didn't she think to plan around my schedule?

Ah well - I didn't have much to bring anyway. I hope I get to see you guys before the fall swaps! Especially you, Rebecca! Good luck with the Denton swap Saturday!

• rebecca150
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Shame on her!

Hope I get to see you too before fall:-)

Rebecca

• lynda40
    15 years ago

Rebecca you mentioned in an earlier post haing butterfly bush clippings. if you have any left could i please get one from you at the swap? i have some things to share if you look at my list and tell me.

Also, does anyone know the best time to dig and seperate Daylilies. it seems this year my day lilly patch is quadrupled in size probably 150 plus. i thought i read to wait until they bloom but not sure. Lynda

• rebecca150
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Lynda,

I did not get a chance to take clippings this year. All I had were the few wintersown things that survived our windy storms and two kids birthday partys and a couple things that decided to roam and root enough for me to pot. I got a lot of nice plants last year, but they sure do grow at their own sweet pace.

I can still take some clippings, powder 'em and stick 'em in dirt if anybody wants them. Are you wanting them for the butterfly effect? Because I also have a packet or two of butterfly weed seeds.

Rebecca

• carrie751
    15 years ago

Lynda, I can bring you Flame Acanthus which both the hummers and butterflies swarm to. Also have some Turk's cap.

• debbiedo7
    15 years ago

tessa74

Bring the kids on with ya. Shoot I stuff plants around my grands if needed & you surely have some trunk space.
    How old are the kids?
    Does the park have a playground?
    I'm sure at least one of the girls will probably go with me - Melody is 11 & Brianna is 8, she will be the one coming for sure & I'm sure she'd help with some little ones.

Are we doing potluck?

Lynda,
    Donna is going to bring some butterfly bush with her.

I seperated some of my Stella de'oro & some were putting up blooms. I got some irises that were already blooming & they continued to bloom. If your up to it what types of daylilies do you have? Iam getting into daylilies & right now have yellow Stella de'oro & orange ditch lilies

Mommyfox I'll sure miss ya this time

Debbie

• rebecca150
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The park has a really wicked awesome playground. Big, wooden, monstrous, large, fenced in thing. Did I mention it was big?

Potluck it is. I'm bringing egg salad sandwiches and macaroni salad. And Drinks. And all the necessary things like plates, cutlery etc.

I also have some token stuff for a drawing.

Gawsh! Five minutes! I'm on the pc FIVE minutes and my son floods my bathroom.

I'll trade him for a texas sage or dessert willow. He's really cute, he has freckles. Any takers.

Rebecca

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    15 years ago

Sounds like y'all will have a great swap! I'm really sorry I'll be missing this one too - I had hoped to come but need to take my Greyhound foster dogs to the Greyhound Adoption League of Texas' monthly event at the Orvis in Arlington (the only venue this side of DFW).

Kinky is mad, he wants us to go to the swap, instead he will be left behind!

Lin

• carrie751
    15 years ago

Tell Kinky to take solice in the fact that there may be a Yorkie there....(grin).

• melvalena
    15 years ago

My list of what I'm bringing:

1. 3 potted rootbeer plants http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/530/

2. some orange ditch daylillies

3. lots and lots of tall red canna rhizomes

4. several rooted brug cuttings-
    these are white and pink cherub
    Some are unmarked
    about 1/2 of them or of a variety I don't know the name,
    but Carrie does. :)
    They are pink and the blooms are huge.. big enough I can just about put my face into them.

• lynda40
    15 years ago

Wow, Thanks everyone. Okay, debbiedo my daylillies are a bright orange like pumpkins and i believe they hae a smattering of "freckles" on the inside. They were here when we bout the house. They are in shade and put out quite a few. I can dig some up for you. carrie a flame acanthus would be really nice. Rebea, I am wanting anything that will draw butterflies and hummingbirds to my yard. Husband wants a kind of lush tropical feel in the back yard so I am trying to accomodate. Not good with names of plants yet, but love all kinds of plants. the more unusual the better so anything you want to share I will take good care of it. I can't wait to meet all of you lovely ladies. Oh and rebecca. i hae a texas sage (small rooted from last summer),only about 4 inches tall or so, I'll bring you. You can keep the cute kid, i already hae 4 cuties myself!!!

• rebecca150
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Lynda, are you sure you don't wanna make it five cuties? LOL The sage would be wonderful. And I have a plant for you that butterflies like. I also have a packet or two of butterfly weed seeds.

I mentioned on the head count thread that I won't be posting anymore until later tonight. My daughter has a solo piece in her school choir tonight. I'll be back though!

• london_gardener
    15 years ago

So I just joined the forum today because I had a few questions, and I find you're all getting together about five minutes from me. As it is such short notice I don't have much to bring, but maybe I can interest someone in a few red cherry tomato seedlings (I filled a bed yesterday and have two pots, of five seedlings each, left over) in exchange for an artemisia Powys Castle and some mint. Would that be okay?

• melvalena
    15 years ago

london_gardener,

you just come on over and meet us! I'm sure someone will find a home for your tomato plants and you'll find something you'd like to have in exchange.

It was just meant to be that we meet each other today.

• carrie751
    15 years ago

The fun part is just getting together --- looking forward to meeting everyone......

• tessa74
    15 years ago

soooooooo, i'm sitting here, babysitting, at home, and wishing i was there with you guys and gals :-( phooey! I hope you all are having tons of fun. Debbiedo, i'll mail out those crystals to you. send me an email w/your addy.
    sniff sniff.

• debbiedo7
    15 years ago

Tessa,
    I'm sorry you didn't get to make it today.
    I'll send you mail

It was a wonderful day, I met new Garden friends & saw some old friends too.

WHAT MORE CAN A GIRL ASK FOR
    GREAT CONVERSATION, FOOD, PLANTS & A BEAUTIFUL DAY TO ENJOY IT IN.
    OK OK I KNOW WE CAN ASK FOR MORE LOLOL

Debbie

Sponsored