Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pkponder2

wanted: have: part 2 2013 ft worth autumn swap november 2

PKponder TX Z7B
10 years ago

The other post reached 150 posts.

Anyone else excited that it's less than a week away?

Comments (44)

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

Yep!

Would anyone like to trade anything for some wine glasses?

I've been trying to get these things a new home since spring!

I don't know anything about crystal, but these do "ping" when you tap them together;
    seems like there are 8 larger (red wine?) glasses & 12 or 14 smaller (white wine?) glasses.

I'll bring them only if someone wants to trade something for them, but I'm open to offers, including potting soil & coffee!

• weenerdogg
    10 years ago

Bummed I'm not going to be able to go. My work can't have me taking a long lunch that day as sales are down so I can't come. If anyone would like to arrange a trade elsewhere please let me know.

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

Dang!

What area are you in?

• PKponder TX Z7B
    Original Author
    10 years ago

yeah, I have stuff for you! That's just unfair!

Sylvia, I am the clumsiest woman alive and can't use glass ... drink my wine from a plastic wine 'glass' that my sis in law found for me.

Your glasses sound lovely!

This post was edited by pkponder on Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 19:46

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

pk, that's me all over again.

"I don't drink wine every day, but when I do, I drink it from plastic."

• weenerdogg
    10 years ago

I'm in the NW area of Fort Worth near the Samson Park/Lake Worth area.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Weenerdog, I'm in Azle and we can just meet in Lake Worth sometime soon so you can get the plants that I have for you.
    I have a hot lips salvia, mini swamp iris (blue) and horseherb. I don't need anything in return, I like sharing :-) It is sad that you won't be able to join us for some fun though.

Sylvia, I thought that I was the only klutz :-)

Pam

This post was edited by pkponder on Sun, Oct 27, 13 at 23:28

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Bummer weenerdogg. I was looking forward to meeting you.

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

I got an email from someone who writes for an heirloom gardening magazine (I think that's what it is) who asked if any of us will be bringing heirloom seeds, maybe seeds of vegetables that have been used for more than one generation of family/neighbor/friend gardeners.

I emailed back & said that we'd love for her to come but didn't know what kind of seeds, especially vegetable seeds (annuals) we'd see at an autumn swap.

so:

Anybody who has interesting heirloom or antique varieties of vegetable or flower seeds, please think about bringing them, & maybe post any stories about them that you can remember.

Casper?

You there?

You listenin'?

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I don't know that they are heirloom, but I am bringing okra seeds from ones that were given to us by dh's uncle in 2007. It was seed he collected from his garden, and I bet someone gave him seed when he first started his garden over 50 years ago.

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

just got an email;
    she can't make it to the swap but asked me to encourage y'all to email her with seed-saving stories.

• remy101
    10 years ago

I recently added few more items

Here is a link that might be useful: Barter item

• PKponder TX Z7B
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I wish that I had seeds or stories for her :-)

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I may be out digging up my yard early Saturday if this rain doesn't let up. I don't have everything potted and ready.

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

We have a love-hate relationship with rain, don't we?

It slides down the backs of our necks,
    it makes our shoes squelch & our socks (& feet) get cold & icky,
    it splatters on our glasses,
    it makes it too hard to work in the garden
    & too slippery to drive on the freeway...

& it's sheer, pure heaven!

Okay, lemme see if I have my lists in order:

Pyxis:

I'm bringing you:
    Chinese Tallow tree & ginger.

You're bringing me:
    cannas.

Remy:

I'm bringing you:
    lemon mint, rose cuttings, Caldwell pink, & some other unidentified slip of a girl rose that may be the same. or not.

You're bringing me:
    sweet & orange mint, cestrum nocturnum, purple bell pepper seeds, greek columna basil.

I'll bring some extra things to see if you'd like them in exchange for your lotions and/or shampoos.

Pam/pkponder:

I'm bringing you:
    pigeonberry, ruella, lemon mint, & the only one of the "fuzzy white salvias or fuzzy white something elses" that showed any interest in rooting;
    I just separated it from the parent plant yesterday, & it has 2 1" long root fibers, so I put it in a pot of potting soil.
    It probably needs to stay in the potting soil this winter, or at least as long as is reasonably possible.

You're bringing me:
    swamp & mauve irises, Hot Lips salvia, & cannas.

I'll bring as many extras for at-the-swap trades as I can comfortably get into the car, so if you want something in particular, please let me know.

Here's a list of possibilities:

Melanie's purple iris
    cannas, yellow or yellow with an orange throat
    Mother of Millions succulent
    liatris/monkey grass; I have 2 big pots & won't heft them into the car unless somebody wants to trade something for them. doesn't have to be something big, just *something*.

I made myself a note to remember
    the cast iron plant in a ceramic pot for the prize drawing,
    & the mac & cheese for the potluck lunch.

I'm eager to see everyone & hear all the updates in everyone's lives & loves & gardens!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I have all of the pre trades ready but haven't gotten to the extras. Some of them need 'fluffing' because of the transplant shock. I *think that the forsythia that I pinned down,as Sylvia so graciously suggested, may have sprouted roots, still need to check on that. Oh, got to cut some brugmansia, I will just cut and wrap those, they will root for the recipient in water (my preferred method) or potting soil.

I didn't get my 'door prize' painted. It's a scavenged wooden kitchen chair, very distressed. We glued and clamped it, then hubby cut a perfectly round pot hole in the seat. It would be so cute in the right garden as is (white chippy paint). I would use it :-) Do y'all think that sounds okay or should I choose something else? I don't want to be bringing something that nobody wants :-)

The mild homemade chili will go in the crock pot Friday night.

Here's my list, remind me if I have forgotten anything please!

Sylvia: Hot Lips, mini swamp Iris, mauve iris, all three indica canna for pigeon berry, purple ruellia, lemon mint and white salvia type plant

Weenerdogg: Hot Lips, horseherb, mini swamp iris will arrange for drop off later

Remy: Seed-Hales cantelope, Israel Melon, Sugar Baby watermelon, red russian kale, black beauty zucchini, yellow hot wax pepper

Marti: 5 foot pink brugmansia, hot lips for blue mist and blanket flower seeds

Pyxis: Horsetail Rush, brug cuttings (white and pink) for yellow brugmansia plant and cinnamon vine bulbets

Darlene: 6 foot brug, Pink brug top cutting for skullcap and blue agave

Debbie: pink brugmansia plant, round light bulbs, long pink plumeria cutting for yellow plumeria

tickets, balloons and stakes

• remy101
    10 years ago

Sylvia are you also bringing me this ?
    "Martha Gonzales rose & a Caldwell Pink rose, established plants "

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

I have the Caldwell Pink, forgot about Martha, will add her!
    Thanks!

• remy101
    10 years ago

Please write the address and time again
    Thank you

• PKponder TX Z7B
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Trinity Park in Fort Worth, just go north on University Dr from I-30 and take the first entrance to the park. Follow the park road toward the pavilions and look for a group of happy swappers. I'll be putting some colorful balloons in the nearest parking area to the swap.

We'll be setting up at around 10 am.

Look forward to seeing you there!

• pyxis
    10 years ago

Just found the new posts, thought it had been quiet. Pyxis and I have been loading things to be ready to go in the mornining. Is anyone interested in a 3' - 4' Yellow Brugmansia. Have all the pre trades ready and still finding odds and ends that are going to go.

• pyxis
    10 years ago

Just found the new posts, thought it had been quiet. Pyxis and I have been loading things to be ready to go in the mornining. Is anyone interested in a 3' - 4' Yellow Brugmansia. Have all the pre trades ready and still finding odds and ends that are going to go.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I've had a change of plans too. Since this weekend is going to be nice and we have not been able to do anything the last three weekends, dh wants to get some work done on the house that can only be done when the sun is shining. So I'm going to come early and just bring my pre-swap things and then come back home to start working.

These are my swaps, but if you want anything else I listed that I can bring, look back on the original thread and let me know.

pkponder Brugmansia & salvia hotlips for Texas aster, blue mist & blanket flower seeds.
    pyxis Passion vine for rue & Texas Dawn water lily.
    debbiedo Ice plant for Oxblood lily.
    dcarpenter Penstemon (Prairie Dusk) for ______ (what do you want Darlene?)
    remy French marigold seeds for okra seeds.

This post was edited by marti8a on Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 21:22

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

Dang! Marti!

wisht you could stay, but my policy is that if you have help at home, you gotta take advantage of it.

Have fun!

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Mine too Sylvia. I wish I could stay longer too. I really wanted to visit the other parts of the gardens there. I've been to the water gardens and they are fantastic.

What time is everyone planning to get there?

This post was edited by marti8a on Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 16:13

• dcarpenter
    10 years ago

Marti8a,

Anything you want to bring me is fine. I'm not picky. Thank you.

Darlene

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Would you like a spider lily for the pond?

• remy101
    10 years ago

Please let me know if I forget anything

Sylvia
    Give
    Cestrum nocturnum
    Orange,sweet mint
    Greek columnar basil
    Purple bell pepper seed
    Also bring African blue basil if you want
    Take
    Rose cuttings and rose plant,lemon mint
    Weenerdog
    Give mint
    Marti
    Give French marigold seed
    Take okra seed
    Pk ponder
    Give
    Greek columnar basil
    Maybe mint
    cosmos seed
    Take
    Hales cantelope, Israel Melon, Sugar Baby watermelon, red russian kale, yellow hot wax
    Darlene
    Take
    pineapple mint,perilla,lemon balm and Thai basil

• remy101
    10 years ago

I am very excited for tomorrow .this will be my first Fort Worth swap. I also have these for trade
    8 purple basil
    4 columnar basil
    3 sweet mint
    7 orange mint
    I am interested Mayer lemon cutting ,jasmine,gardenia,mini roses,curry leaf tree,clamondin orange,Asian and other vegetable seed,seed tray garden decor,pots etc etc
    Thank you

• remy101
    10 years ago

Debbie feel free to pick anything from my trade or barter items for your seed trays.

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

Thanks for posting that, remy. I've got it now but I missed putting our swap on my list.

This post was edited by marti8a on Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 20:21

• PKponder TX Z7B
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Marti, I plan to be there at around 10 to put up the balloons and start setting up. I need some better lights in the yard tonight :-)

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

As it turns out, I decided not to come. I'm sending my stuff with Sylvia. We had a leak in JUNE and our wood floors have been half torn out since then and all our furniture crammed into one room. As soon as we get beams in the living room refinished, we can have the new floors put in. Dh thinks we can finish the ceiling tomorrow and I am anxious to be able to walk barefoot in my own house again, so that is why I decided not to come.

I'll send everything with labels and a list with Sylvia so hopefully it won't be too much trouble for her.

p.s. Sylvia said someone was bringing her son who loved unusual plants, and I've forgotten the name. Would he like a sensitive plant? Mimosa latidens I believe.

This post was edited by marti8a on Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 21:37

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

pkponder, I had you down for blue mist and Texas aster. Did you change your mind on the Texas aster?

• PKponder TX Z7B
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hi Marti,
    To be honest, I've been so focused on my "side" of the trades that I have forgotten. I love asters and if you have one for me, I will love it.

I'm so sorry that you aren't coming, but do understand about hubby's and projects. The trick is to get your hubby involved and bring him with you :-).
    I hope Sylvia's coming in a vehicle large enough for your brug because I don't want to bring it back home :-)

Anyway, happy home improvements! Can you send your hubby over to help scape the rest of the popcorn off my ceilings? Just joking :-) I can't paint my walls or redo the floors until we get the ceiling done also and we need a kick start on it.

Pam

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

She can probably lay the brug down in a plastic bag.

I scraped our ceilings, except for the living room. It was not fun but not really hard. The secret is a spray bottle of water to loosen the stuff.

Maybe next year we won't have any projects going on here and I can come.

• debbiedo7
    10 years ago

I'm not going to be able to make it today. My back is giving me fits. Carrying plants and standing are not in the cards for me today.
    If I have a trade with you, maybe we can meet somewhere. I live in Grand Prairie.
    Dang now I have 2 pies and no one to eat them.
    I hope everyone has a good time!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    Original Author
    10 years ago

We had a blast! Weather was coolish at first, but turned into a beautiful day! I'm sorry to hear about your back, I have back pain sometimes also.

I wish I had known that you weren't coming and why before the swap. I gave your plants to another happy swapper because my intent was to not bring anything home that I left here with!

We had a decent turnout and a really good time!

• pyxis
    10 years ago

Was an enjoyable day. Enjoyed seeing old friends and makeing new ones. The turnout was small but there was a great selection to trade for. Can't wait for spring trade. Happy gardening and may all your plants make it through the winter safely.

• remy101
    10 years ago

It was so much .Thank you every body who trade with me.
    Debbie I would love to trade my stuff for the seed trays.you can take a look my barter link.

• dcarpenter
    10 years ago

As usual had a great time. Thanks everyone for the great trades. Enjoyed meeting new people also. Can't wait for the next one. Thanks Sylvia for planning it.

Darlene

• TxMarti
    10 years ago

I wish I could have been there, sounds like a good time. I can't wait to get all my new babies planted. I do wish I could have met all of you.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    Original Author
    10 years ago

weenerdog,I have plants for you that Remy, Sylvia, and Darlene entrusted to me to get to you. I also have the plants that I promised to you. We need to set up a time to meet in Lake Worth!

Marti, we missed you! Maybe in the spring, huh?

This post was edited by pkponder on Sun, Nov 3, 13 at 10:31

• sylviatexas1
    10 years ago

As always, it was a lot of fun!

& we had 2 young gents who livened up the group!
    I always like to see 'sprouts' at the swaps;
    good to see them getting the 'dirty knees' habit early!

I'm already looking forward to spring, too;
    I enjoyed everyone's company, & I certainly appreciate everyone's generosity, kindness, & helpfulness.

The plants I pegged should have strong roots by spring, & I'm going to start some more rose cuttings, &...oops, getting ahead of myself.

see you all in the spring!