Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Where can I find aristolochia near dallas?

Posted by cass_fritillary (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 14, 07 at 17:09

Hi

I am new to this forum and am hoping that someone out there can tell me where I can get some aristolochia. I live in Richardson (near Dallas) and haven't been able to find any. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Cassie

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Where can I find aristolochia near dallas?

I have some in my garden, but I got it from a friend. The caterpillars have totally devoured this year! You might try calling Northhaven Gardens and seeing if they get any in during the Spring. I think they might. Also, the Texas Discovery Gardens in Fair Park usually has a Spring sale where they feature that plant.

o

Thanks,

I actually did call Northhaven and they didn't have any. They said they might in the Spring. I also talk to the head horticulturist at Discovery Gardens and found out about their sale in June. That is so far away!!

Anyway, I've marked my calendar for June and since then found some generous awesome people who are sending me some and I should get it anyday in the mail. I am actually getting one a. tomentosa and 3 a. serpentaria that I will be able to start with in Spring and hopefully will be able to get a. fimbriata in the Spring to add to them.

Right now I have 4 passiflora vines and absolutely love them and I'm looking so forward to adding the pipevine swallowtail to my yard (and many more in the future:)

Do you have any other "can't live without" butterfly plants in your yard that do well in dallas and the butterflies love?

Thanks for your advice,
Cass

o

I have several small plants if you're still looking for them. I'm planning to dig them up and toss them. They're Aristolochia tomentosa.

o

Oh my gosh! I just read your message and I bet I'm too late, but if you still have the a tomentosa I would like to take it off your hands!

Let me know.
Thanks,
Cassie

o

This past Spring Lowes in Plano had some. Call the Garden Center there and ask them if and when they will get them in. Don't know which one but the lady who told me had just been on a tour of a Butterfly Garden in Plano and found it on the way home. She lives in Richardson so I bet it is on 75.

Here is a link that might be useful: Garden Web

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Texas are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here