Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
debbychickenmom

WANTED: info on hibiscus (red) from Ft. W. Swap

Deb Chickenmom
15 years ago

I received a nice plant with almost maple shaped leaves at the Ft Worth swap Saturday. I wrote down that it is a red hibiscus. Looking at internet info I found that it is supposed to need a LOT of water and is almost a bog plant??? This can't be right. Would anyone give me advice as to where to plant, should I plant it now or overwinter, does it need full sun, etc. It looks so beautiful and healthy I want to put it where it will be happy!! Thanks, Chickenmom (Debby)

Comments (7)

• tropicgirl
    15 years ago

Debby,

If your plant has burgundy leaves and stalks, it's probably a Maple Syrup Hibiscus. Does I look like this?

Sorry about the Huge pic, the thumbnails aren't working again.

I got this back at the end of July when it was about 2 1/2 ft tall and now it's this big. I just treat it like any other plant, I know it likes sun and was a thirsty plant during the summer. I have mine in a sunken 10 gallon pot. I fertilized it with some fish emulsion once and then I used miracle-gro 18-24-16 once. I have read that they do like boggy areas but mine did well in the ground. TX Star Hibiscus is another bog plant but it has done well for me for 4 yrs in a container on the deck. I found some helpful information at the TAMU website, might want to check it, you might find some helpful tips there.

Hope it perks up for you. I think it's a gorgeous plant.
    Deb

• Deb Chickenmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Your Hibiscus is beautiful! The plant I have has green leaves. It is looking healthy; I'm just not sure what it is. I took a photo and I'll see if I can figure out how to post it. Thanks!

• seamommy
    15 years ago

Hi Debbie, I think you got a Texas Star Hibiscus from me. My mom started those and had them in potting soil which she kept moist, but not boggy. Hers winters over here because she lives over in Bedford and she's had hers for about 4 years. It may die back over winter but if you protect the roots it should come back OK in the Spring. If not, just let me know, cause I think I have some more of them, or at least some seeds. Cheryl

• sylviatexas1
    15 years ago

I am *waaay* bad jealous!

That's just gorgeous!

• Deb Chickenmom
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info Cheryl. I think I am going to let it "winter over" under lights in the garage and put it out early in the spring. That way it will have longer to get established and maybe next winter I will try leaving it outside and giving it lots of mulch. I got home from the swap with so many wonderful things, but my mind did its usual blank-out thing and I forgot what I had been told about several plants!

• element321
    15 years ago

I got Maple Syrup Hibiscus this year. The tag says the plant requires 2 hours of sun in the morning and shade the rest of the day. Plus it won't handle temps below 30 degrees. Is this right?

• mikeb1206
    15 years ago

hibiscus acetosella or red leaf hibiscus is the name for the one in the picture. I bought one earlier this year and it grew about like yours did.

Sylvia, I should have some cuttings rooted soon if you would like one.

Mike

Sponsored