Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Newspaper Starter Pots

Posted by seamommy 7bTX (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 7, 06 at 14:01

I just figured out how to make these little pots and I am wondering if you folks have any thoughts about them, pro or con?

Do they dry out too fast or too slow?

How about seedlings having damping off problems?

Are they as good as peat pots, or better?

How long before they start to break down with the soil in them?

Is the ink in the Star Telegram safe for starter pots?

If anyone has used 'em I'd like some feedback before I start a gozillion seeds this Spring. Cheryl

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Newspaper Starter Pots

Can't help you with the usage part, but most newspapers use soy based inks now (as long as you aren't using any glossy papered ads). Sometimes it says so on the front page around the top or bottom margin or you can call the paper and ask.

o

no direct knowledge, but I bet they'll know on the Frugal Gardening Forum.

o

Just wondered how your newspaoer pots have done? I made up a bunch to try to see how they would do to start some live oaks in. So far they seem to be holding up allright even after being completly under water after last weeks big rain storm. But, they have only been in use for a few weeks, so I don't know if it's too early to tell if they'll hold out for the season or not.

Wolf

o

Just wanted to let some of yall know that I once contacted the San Antonio Express News and they said the standard black and white pages are are safe to recycle and use however you want. The glossy paper and ads are of course off limits

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Texas are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here