Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WANTED: Eupatorium Havanense

Posted by ondrea_carina_leaf 7 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 7, 08 at 16:42

Where could I find this to buy? North Texas area.
Does anyone have cuttings or divisions?
This plant was a show stopper at the Antique Rose Emporium.
The frangrance waft was so sweet and intoxicating. The butterflies and hoeny bees were swarming. It is a have to have plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WANTED: Eupatorium Havanense

I had the same reaction when I saw this eupatorium blooming at A.R.E. 3 years ago. They didn't have any when I tried to buy some and I have tried unsuccessfully to find it at other nurseries. Last Friday, however, when we returned to the rose emporium, they had a few one-gallon plants for sale. I purchased two of them...one for me and one for my daughter. If mine prospers and grows, I can mail you a cutting in the spring. Just email me in late march and see how it has done.
molly

o

I bought mine at Weston Garden's in Ft.Worth. Of course my hallmark is if I like a plant I always buy several without any consideration for where I will plant them. Therefore I have a small one growing in the wrong spot that needs to be moved. You are welcome to it. I am in the DFW area. Let me know if you would like to try to transplant it.

Hope

o

mine will be flowering and going to seed. Eupatorium wrightii is very nice also if you have some filtered sun, and better soil than hill country crap. Butterflies love it. I got mine at the Barton Springs nursery in Austin.

o

My E. havanense plants are starting to go to seed if anyone would like some seeds. To see these plants covered in many butterflies and bees like we had had this fall is truly inspiring!
BTW, I'd love some seeds of that Eupatorium wrightii, wantonamara, if you could spare any. I've been wanting to try it out.

o

I have E. havenense seeds. I used to grow the E wrightii when I lived intown on a cutbank of well worked composted clay and some shade. It madeitself at home and woulftravel around in a curous way, and AHHH< the smell!!!! Out here it will just shrivel and die, E.Havanense is a better match. The land is just too pourous and dry. We have a very woody shrubby variety of it in the hill country that loves outcroppings and is just getting ready to let loose. I will stick with what works.

o

jimgreen? I couldn't email back...the message said so, anyway. Could you get in touch with me?
flameflowerx@yahoo.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Please Note: Only registered members from Texas are able to post messages here (this may be indicated by the title of the forum. All exchanges not indicated otherwise are restricted to those living in the U.S.)

If you are a member from an area mentioned above, please log in.

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here