Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
willow1987

WANTED: Bamboo

willow1987
13 years ago

I have some canna plants that I would love to trade for bamboo locally. The cannas are cleopatra. I dont mind small bamboo plants. Thank you

Comments (8)

• cooking_in_texas
    13 years ago

I have bamboo - you really want to get it started? I use it for a screen from the road, dried as fire started, handles for my outdoor cooking equipment, tree lopers (just attach the saw and go) - among other things. I have all the bamboo starters you could possibly want. I'll trade for cannas for my daughter's yard. Live in Blanco - with office in San Marcos - Where are you?

• willow1987
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi i'm wanting to make a privacy screen and I've been looking for some around my area. Wow, I live in Plano just north of Dallas

• jaime_anita
    13 years ago

I live in the midcities area have plenty of bamboo,,,as much as you could want....do your cannas have purple leaves?

• willow1987
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Jaime. My cannas have mostly green leaves. Some have a purple strip on them. The flowers are both red and yellow, or yellow with red spots.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

You might consider trying to find some clumping bamboo so you could get the screen advantage, but not the problems that occur down the line with running bamboo.

You can probably get some good ideas by looking around on the bamboo forum. They tell you what you have to do to contain running bamboo as well as what varieties don't run. My son has had to spend a lot of energy as well as money on Roundup to try and keep the running bamboo the neighbors planted from taking over his property. He has battled it for years. Nothing deters it for long.

Here is a link that might be useful: Bamboo Forum

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

I just looked and you've already been there ...

• willow1987
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Yes were I'm at now, I wouldnt mind it taking over lol. There is so much muddy clear areas in my yard and there is 0 privacy. I saw one area near me that had a grove of bamboo that has been there for years but its a business zoning area and i dont know how to get in contact with the owners

• fairview
    13 years ago

Remember, if you introduce a running type of bamboo and it gets away from you into the neighbors yard and if the neighbors file a lawsuit you could be very easily found liable for introducing a noxious weed or pest and found liable to incur the costs of controlling this now nasty pest for an extended/permanent time period. Simply because the bamboo you planted was already growing in Texas, that doesn't infer you can transplant without the potential for repercussions.

Sponsored