Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A little travelogue

Posted by rcnaylor z7 Tex (My Page) on
Sat, Jan 14, 12 at 8:34

Was out on a day trip Thursday and took these pics of a little historic site I'm pretty sure most of you haven't been to, Medicine Mound, Texas

From Medicine Mound 1-12-2012

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A little travelogue

Wonder why they haven't filmed western movies here? These are great, RC.

o

Beautiful photos. Amazing rock work.

o

• Posted by ruthz DFW/TX (My Page) on
    Sat, Jan 14, 12 at 14:56

Nice pictures.
Thanks for posting them.

o

Interesting. The cobb work and the name reminds me of Medicine Park Oklahoma by the Wichita mountains. Not to far away. That town was also totally built out of granite cob at about the same time. That is a great little town to spend the night in and hike through the Wichita mountains.The cobb structures are nor B&B's ....maybe no breakfasts. There is a restaurant. I love seed collecting in October.

o

Yeah, I bet its the same rock. It came from Oklahoma. I've been over to the Wichita Mts too. Neat area. Great wildlife area over there.

And, they make a mean Miers burger. Down it with some of the Indian brew they sell, good stuff.

o

Very interesting pictures of a bygone era. Thanks for the photos of the signs. I read them all. I wonder what the graceful iron contraption with the wheel was used for.

o

Thanks everyone.

"I wonder what the graceful iron contraption with the wheel was used for."

I'm pretty sure it is a reminder for gardeners that "the good old days" are NOW! ;)

o

Did you ever "plow" with one of those, RC???

o

Oh my goodness, a plow. I'll never forget seeing a picture years ago in Life Magazine of a Russian woman pulling the plow and her husband was behind guiding it. Hopefully, they took turns. Guess they were too poor to own a horse ... sigh. Yes, I agree the good ole' days are now!

o

No. But if you have never rode a two row go-devil sled, you've never really ploughed!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here