Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Spots of color and a little winter drama ...

After a cold (first one I've had in years) and a cold rainy spell (I got two and a half inches) I embarked out into the mostly barren landscape of my back yard in search of a few spots of color.

If we don't get a hard freeze shrimp plants can be relied on to bloom all winter so I wasn't disappointed ...

I was surprised to see a few small yellow butterflies and a hummingbird visiting the shrimp plants, but wasn't able to capture them in a photo!

With no eyes peering out from the birdhouse I bravely ventured close to the Fruit cocktail shrimp plant ...

Rosa Rainbow Knockout always has a few bright red hips summer and winter ...

Ornamental kale was planted in late fall to provide leaves for winter and spring eating ...

Another is seen against the tree in the distance. As they grew it was realized that the leaves on this variety were pretty and bright, but too skinny to provide much nourishment ...

Lucky for me I had planted several of another more leafy variety which we are eating ...

A few stocks were purchased from Lowes sale rack for their incredible fragrance and spring color. Do they count?

Ah a surprise! One of the pet ornate box turtles came out of hibernation early fooled by the warm days into thinking it was spring ...

But wait a minute! What's happening here? She's eating a small snake who also ventured out for a bit of warmth! Ah well, such are the dramas of nature ...

That's about it for color and drama -- unless you count the old reliables ... pots and paint! :-)

So how does your garden grow in this warm January?

Comments (13)

• freshair2townsquare
    11 years ago

How fun!!! Thanks for posting.

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Mine is mostly brown and without much color except for the pyracantha berries. I had a small group of cedar wax wings come through last week and they ate a lot of the berries, but it will take a much larger group to eat them all as I have a whole fence row of them. Although this has been a relatively mild winter for North Texas, it has still been killing to plants that bloom. My shrimp plant is history until Spring when it will restart and give me many blooms all summer. Oh, wait a minute, I do have a daffodil blooming............not the large ones, but the pretty little cream colored ones with the yellow center. Now that is a refreshing site. Thanks for giving us that much needed boost at this time of the year,

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

I have a blue and white iris blooming! The bloom is so low it is sitting on the ground. I think it is Clarence. If so it is a rebloomer.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Freshair, glad you enjoyed it.

Carrie, how nice to have an abundance of berries for the birds. The resident mockingbirds here eat the berries from my Youpon holly trees all winter. One dry year when the youpons didn't produce berries I fed the mockingbirds dried fruits like raisons and cranberries.

Wow Carrie and Kathy -- sounds like signs of spring are popping up already with your early blooming daffodil and iris! My larkspur seedlings and columbines are coming along nicely with the recent rains, but that's about it for new stuff, not counting the weeds of course.

How about the rest of you? You are welcome to add any photos to this thread or start a new one. We need all the encouragment we can get to make it through these next few weeks of winter :-)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I know some of your are getting your winter 'plant fix' with winter sowing. How's that coming along?

• southofsa
    11 years ago

Very cool pictures especially the turtle and the snake.

After I posted that picture of my lemons I noticed a flower buds on a few branches nearest the house and window. I think it's confused. If it actually flowers out, I'll post a picture.

Lisa

• rock_oak_deer
    11 years ago

Beautiful, love the turtle picture with the snake. My shrimp plants are still blooming and I've had a couple of Knockout rose blooms too.

• bossjim1
    11 years ago

Very pretty, Roselee. I still have a few spots of color.

Jim

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

Thank you Roselee for posting your blooms! It hardly looks like winter in your garden!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everybody for looking and commenting. It's a little easier for the garden to be green and have a little color in South and Central Texas than in North Texas -- that's for sure.

Check out the blog 'Digging' linked below to see some water-wise landscape plants that look nice in a Central Texas during the winter. I'm leaning more toward that look.

Does anybody have experience growing Texas dwarf palmetto (Sabal minor) that Pam shows in the first picture and know just how much water it takes to grow it?

Here is a link that might be useful: How to green up your winter garden in central Texas

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

I haven't grown dwarf palmetto but do see it planted and thriving in gardens around here. It grew wild under tall trees in the shady forest floor around my Mom's old house near Livingston.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Pam, sounds good. Because of its foliage and size I'm considering it for a shrub.

• denisew
    11 years ago

I suppose your box turtle was sparing you the surprise of finding that snake!