Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
January surprises (no pics)

Posted by ruthz DFW/TX (My Page) on
Fri, Jan 6, 12 at 18:08

I went in the MS greenhouse yesterday to check on my plants and was surprised to find 1 flower on my Charles Grimaldi.
With the hot dry summer we had I didn't think I would have any flowers on my camellia, but DD remarked today that she thinks it has more flowers than it's ever had.
I took pictures, but I'll have to find my cord before I can download them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: January surprises (no pics)

I noticed today that my red annual verbena has a bloom! Its still green! I'm sure over the weekend its gonna die. :(
Its out in a bed and has no protection at all. I'm surprised its still going at this point. Some of my sages are still going too. Still got flowers on 'em.

o

Throw some leaves over that verbena, mel, I have had them survive winters before. I started the clean-up in my little garden area yesterday, and was surprised to find a green tomato and several ripe ones (small tomatoes) under the melon vine that had overtaken the tomato plant last fall.

o

Thanks Carrie, I had no idea they'd make it through the winter. I'll get out there today and mulch that verbena.
Its funny what we find still hanging on out there.

Ruth.. find that cord! :)

o

I had a pink verbena last inground for several years about 8 years ago.
Since then I can't even get them to last thru the summer.

o

Okay, found the cord.

Pictures taken yesterday of my camellia.
Photobucket
The bees were everywhere and loving it
Photobucket
Photobucket
white rose yesterday
Photobucket
1 bloom on Charles Grimaldi yesterday
Photobucket
We have a neighborhood Peacock
male about 2 years old
This was taken in front yard about 2 weeks ago
Photobucket
On our roof
Photobucket

o

I'd love to have a neighborhood peacock! I'm sure my neighbors would not.

What kind of camellia is that and does it get full sun even in the summer?

o

It is Camellia sasanqua 'Kanjiro'.
This past summer felt like everything got full sun.
It probably does get what's considerd full sun, but I don't think any of our yard is in full sun all day.
We had our trees trimmed big time in the fall and our neighbor did also, so everything will get more sun this year.

o

Ruth, your camelia is gorgeous! I don't think I've ever seen one that covered in blooms outside of east Texas!

I bought a few little ones at a local nursery in Winnsboro, and what the guy told me is that the small-leafed ones (I think they're the sasanquas) can take full sun - out here they trim them for hedges. The large-leafed ones - Japonicas that get really huge - benefit from morning sun, afternoon shade.

Of course I don't know how true this is, but that's how I'm planting mine.

Lin

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here