Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthz_gw

January surprises (no pics)

ruthz
12 years ago

I went in the MS greenhouse yesterday to check on my plants and was surprised to find 1 flower on my Charles Grimaldi.

With the hot dry summer we had I didn't think I would have any flowers on my camellia, but DD remarked today that she thinks it has more flowers than it's ever had.

I took pictures, but I'll have to find my cord before I can download them.

Comments (8)

• melvalena
    12 years ago

I noticed today that my red annual verbena has a bloom! Its still green! I'm sure over the weekend its gonna die. :(
    Its out in a bed and has no protection at all. I'm surprised its still going at this point. Some of my sages are still going too. Still got flowers on 'em.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Throw some leaves over that verbena, mel, I have had them survive winters before. I started the clean-up in my little garden area yesterday, and was surprised to find a green tomato and several ripe ones (small tomatoes) under the melon vine that had overtaken the tomato plant last fall.

• melvalena
    12 years ago

Thanks Carrie, I had no idea they'd make it through the winter. I'll get out there today and mulch that verbena.
    Its funny what we find still hanging on out there.

Ruth.. find that cord! :)

• ruthz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I had a pink verbena last inground for several years about 8 years ago.
    Since then I can't even get them to last thru the summer.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Okay, found the cord.

Pictures taken yesterday of my camellia.

The bees were everywhere and loving it

white rose yesterday

1 bloom on Charles Grimaldi yesterday

We have a neighborhood Peacock
    male about 2 years old
    This was taken in front yard about 2 weeks ago

On our roof

• melvalena
    12 years ago

I'd love to have a neighborhood peacock! I'm sure my neighbors would not.

What kind of camellia is that and does it get full sun even in the summer?

• ruthz
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It is Camellia sasanqua 'Kanjiro'.
    This past summer felt like everything got full sun.
    It probably does get what's considerd full sun, but I don't think any of our yard is in full sun all day.
    We had our trees trimmed big time in the fall and our neighbor did also, so everything will get more sun this year.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    12 years ago

Ruth, your camelia is gorgeous! I don't think I've ever seen one that covered in blooms outside of east Texas!

I bought a few little ones at a local nursery in Winnsboro, and what the guy told me is that the small-leafed ones (I think they're the sasanquas) can take full sun - out here they trim them for hedges. The large-leafed ones - Japonicas that get really huge - benefit from morning sun, afternoon shade.

Of course I don't know how true this is, but that's how I'm planting mine.

Lin