Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southofsa

About the only color in my garden

southofsa
11 years ago

I've really enjoyed looking at the pictures of Jim's flowers. Things are pretty brown around here so it's nice to have some pretty pictures to look at.

But I do have one bright spot of color, my Meyer Lemon tree. This is the first year with a pretty good harvest. The picture is of the area at the base where most of the lemons are hanging.

At least it's nice and sunny outside today instead of gray. Hope it's sunny where you are too.

Lisa

Comments (9)

• freshair2townsquare
    11 years ago

The fire hydrant at the SW corner of our suburban lot is lemon yellow . . . does that count?

Your tree & the lemons look lovely & lively and much brighter than anything going on in my yards today.

• bossjim1
    11 years ago

That IS a pretty sight! Wish I had one of those.
    Jim

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Wish I could grow one outside..............very pretty.

• southofsa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Freshair- I hear you. Around this time of the year I start looking at stop lights for a little extra color :-) But I also see my rainbow swiss chard has some pretty colored stems. That helps too.

Jim- Thanks- I think your garden is lovely.

Carrie - I killed a couple before I put it in the warmest, most protected spot out here. It still gets a little nipped, but does OK.

All this sunshine makes me want to dig in the dirt. But will try not to for a few more weeks at least. For now I'm just working on garden clean up.

Lisa

• zitro_joe
    11 years ago

That is awesome! I just moved back to Texas from Tucson where I had a Citrus tree and Lime tree, I miss it already.

• wally_1936
    11 years ago

I only have my Bougainville, Daffodils, calendula and one lonely Confederate Rose bloom in my flower beds at this time. A very nice gentleman gave me some cuttings of Mahogany Splendor Hibiscus which I have in a pot which has also started to bloom so I do get to enjoy some color during our cool wet winter. It may only be a month away from our spring season when I will transplant some of my sprouts. Not much room but sure enjoy trying to find plants that will give color over a longer period of time here. Thanks for your post, all my citrus have been harvested for some time.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Love how much fruit the Meyer lemon is capable of producing and especially love how it smells when blooming. I had one, but got tired of lugging it in every winter and gave it away to a friend that lives further south. Maybe I should have given it a chance to grow outside against a brick wall like you have.

Thanks for posting the photos!

Wally, looks like you've got some pretty good color from that hibiscus and several other plants!

• texanjana
    11 years ago

Wow! You had a nice crop. Mine is in a pot, but I got 15 lemons this year. Made a bunch of lemon curd and pies.

• southofsa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Texanjana- Can I ask what you use your lemon curd for? I've never made it before, but it sounds good. If I understand right you can fill cookies with it, or use between cake layers, or whip it with cream for frosting, or just eat it straight. Is there anything you'd recommend?

Lisa