Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Fun Junkin'

Thanks to Rock-Oak-Deer Shirley's blog I found out about a great junk yard in downtown San Antonio; Yeyas Antiques and Oddities. Not wasting any time Castrogardener Patty, Shirley and I arranged to meet there last week.

Well, it is a 'picker's paradise' to say the least. Since there is not much else to post pictures about I thought you it would be fun to share photos of my finds.

Incidentally, Bob's favorite joke on me is a sign he saw outside an Antique store: "I buy junk and sell antiques." So here's my 'antiques'.

This is my first find; a vintage metal bird bath. Notice the little frogs on the bottom. They are also on the bark designed stand ...

Here is another vintage metal bird bath. It will be antiqued, hopefully to look like aged bronze ...

This old rusty metal chair will hold a plant someday. The little clay block on the left is another find ...

These two rusty metal pieces were originally some sort of light fixture, but will be employed in my garden to hold pots ...

After returning home I remembered seeing these two pots and thought they might work on the plant stands. Yeya's location is on Commerce street just a few blocks off of Hwy. 37 so I persuaded Bob to stop by on the way home from church Sunday so I could get them -- in the pouring down rain -- in my church clothes! Pots and stands will probably be painted ...

Another find was this clay pillar. It has a nice design which will be brought out by antiquing ...

This old clay pot and matching stand were once covered with mirrors set in a mosaic style. I like the old 'artifact' look it gives so will probably leave it as it is. I plopped a pot of ferns in it, but will plant something else in it later ...

Another find is the off white glazed strawberry pot that looks pretty good whether planted or not ...

This very old Mexican clay pot has very nice Aztec designs. It's sitting on the work bench to have a hair line crack stablized with epoxy. The design will be brought out with some sort of light antiquing ...

Mario, the very personable owner of Yeyas, believes in a quick turnover of merchandise so everything seems reasonably priced. The vintage bird baths were $15 and $20 and the other pieces were between $5 and $12.

After all our hard work digging through the junk for our treasures we had a wonderful meal at a Mexican restaurant on Broadway, Tomatillos.

I hope you enjoyed seeing my 'haul'. For me it's so creative to find junk and make it into 'antique' yard art.

This is Shirley's blog about Yeyas:

http://rockoakdeer.blogspot.com/2012/01/yeyas-antiques-and-oddities.html

Here is a link that might be useful: More about Yeyas ...

Comments (6)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It seems like I always forget a picture. Here's a couple of iron pieces I'll use to put pots on...

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

Nice! I love metal and clay garden art! I'm jealous of those stands! The pots that you went back for remind me of pie crusts for some reason. Those would be so cute planted with succulents. When you 'antique' them, do you use paint?

Pam

• carrie751
    12 years ago

I knew it.........I am green with envy......what a haul, Roselee. You would be such an enabler if I lived near you......LOL>

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

Hi Roselee. I'm not a junk "junky" but I really like your bird baths and plant stands! I think you hit the jackpot!
    Jim

• carrie751
    12 years ago

I have one of the cast iron bird baths that I found at a garage sale for $3, and the birds love it..........especially the bluejays. Think maybe it is the iron in the water they need.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Carrie, interesting observation about the iron. And what a find for $3. Some great yard art can be found at garage sales where people just want you to haul off their 'junk'.

Pam, I'm thinking that the plant stands shown with the pie crust pots will look better with a clay pot that sits down in them -- IF I can just find the right size pot. The pie crust pots will go somewhere else and I agree that since they're shallow succulets will work well in them.

I use thinned latex paint to 'antique' things. Or I stain/paint them and sand off the high spots. Before doing anything else to it I'm going to try sanding of the high spots on the clay pillar to see if that brings out the design. Later I may be posting about what the finished products look like.

Jim, one nice thing about yard art is you don't have to water it :-)

I don't want to make anybody envious, but just show what can be done with some rusty junk plus give out-of-town-gardeners somepleace else to visit when they come to San Antonio. Come on down! Oh and I forgot to show the rusty bird cage I'll be hanging with others as a group. Bob thought it hilarious that I'm soaking some light chain with which to hang it in vinegar to MAKE it rust. LOL

Thanks to all for looking and for your comments.