Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

What's blooming in Feb. including out of this world exotics ;-)

It's really been surprising to notice what's blooming in this mild winter including some 'exotics' that I bet you never saw before. Move over Kathy! Just kidding! Kathy showed us some wonderful pictures of what's blooming in her yard on the main forum and I can't even start to beat that!

First is the lushiously perfumed Evening scented stock with Arugula in the back. I love Arugula for it's long winter and spring bloom period of dainty white flowers as well as it's pungent taste in salads ...

I guess everybody has Red Shrimp plant blooming in this part of the country ...

I wanted to show the Fruit cocktail shrimp for the people coming to the S. A. Swap since I'll have some available ...

Pink trumpet vine still has several clusters ...

Not a flower, but Nandina berries and red winter foliage add a lot to the landscape ...

I took the camera to church to photograph the Lantana, but these two characters got into the best picture of them. That's Don, a friend, and some gal, but how about those Lantanas?!

Four nerve Daisy from the plant swap last year (thanks Tammy!) and Sport, my new miniature poodle pup who got into the act ...

Now we get to the exotics! How about this daffydil? It NEVER fails to add color to the landscape ALL year.

NASA isn't telling that they brought back lilies from Mars. Thankfully I have a friend that works there and slipped me these seeds. Beautiful and EVER blooming to boot!

This one is from the back side of the moon. NASA never has told us that it is lush with vegetation, but this flower proves it!

Yeah right! Well, you know I've been playing with you about the exotics, kinda' like these guys, Max (10 yr. old Basenji/Rat terrier mix) and Sport are doing -- just having fun ...

There's a few more winter flowers including the very fragrant Winter honeysuckle and Sweet olive, also soap aloes, blackfoot daisies, some of the succulents, etc. but this is enough pictures for now.

Hope you enjoyed the fun of the 'out of this world' flowers!

Happy outer space gardening!

Comments (9)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    15 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Here is Kathy the Plantmavin's post about 'What's blooming now' in her yard, plus comments what is blooming in other's gardens, in case anybody missed it. It's on the second page of the discussions forum now.

Here is a link that might be useful: What's blooming now

• PKponder TX Z7B
    15 years ago

All nice bloomers! I didn't know that arugula bloomed! I love nandina berries this time of year too!

I guess those NASA lilies need full sun, huh? ☺

Pam

• carrie751
    15 years ago

Roselee, that was fun..... you always lift my day...thanks!!

• trsinc
    15 years ago

That WAS fun! :-) Made me smile. Is the evening scented stock an annual or perennial?

• rcnaylor
    15 years ago

Good stuff Roselee. Interesting daffodil.

• bobbi_p
    15 years ago

Pretty, pretty! I can't wait to get my beds further along so I can start sharing photos!

Bobbi

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you everybody for looking at the photos. Your comments are always appreciated

Tammy, Evening scented stock is listed as a reseeding annual, but mine has been going for two and a half years and has not reseeded, so I dunno' for sure. It produced lots of seeds and I scattered them around, but have not seen anything come up, probably because the mulch was too thick. I'll save some seed this year for anybody that wants to try them.

• denisew
    15 years ago

You had me going at first with those daffodils, but when I saw the multi-colored flowers in those pots, I figured it out. hee-hee!

What is the hardiness zone on that pink trumpet flower? Someone once asked me about them up here in North Central Texas, but I didn't know the answer. They saw them being sold at Home Depot or Lowes a couple years ago.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Denise! Yep, I've got the earliest, and the latest, daffodils there is ;-)

According to reports on Dave's Garden pink trumpet vine grows in the Dallas area and there is even one report from someone who grows it in Mass. Most winters it freezes to the ground, but is easy to cut back and clean up since it really doesn't twine, but it's long stems sprawl and lean on arbors or fences. It comes back quickly in the spring, but doesn't bloom until late summer.

One thing I like about it is that it doesn't require much water and doesn't spread. Occasionally it roots where a stem touches the ground, but produces only a very few seed pods. No bug or disease bothers it, but the bees love it.

I'm trying to see if will root in water right now so I can bring rooted cuttings to the plant swap. Since it didn't freeze back this winter I've also buried some sections of live stems in the ground and covered them with a rock so hopefully they will root.

Here's a couple of pictures from last year. You may have seen them already.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink Trumpet Vine, Podranea ricasoliana