Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Snow Pictures from Carrie ...

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 6, 14 at 12:23

These were sent to me by Carrie who took them a few minutes ago. She says this is what the weather man calls a 'dusting'. It looks like a little more than that to me.

Carrie, knowing how you feel about winter I'm sure you are simply thrilled. ;-) I'm kidding of course, but it does look magicaly and beautiful!

photo SnowinFebruary2014018_zps8f5d88e2.jpg

photo SnowinFebruary2014020_zpsf33dbc75.jpg

photo SnowinFebruary2014019_zps3aeedcc5.jpg

photo SnowinFebruary2014017_zps61b89cfe.jpg

photo SnowinFebruary2014016_zpsd2d0806c.jpg

The temperature is still 28 here at 11:23 and there is a light dusting of the white stuff at my house, but not enough to make for pretty pictures like yours. Thanks for sending.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Snow Pictures from Carrie ...

My place had similar coverage.
Pavement areas that weren't in the shade all melted.

o

Beautiful pictures and miserable cold :-)

o

I learned that what we had here was graupel; soft little balls that form when snow flakes fall through freezing mists. It's a fairly unusual occurance it seems. Some of them lasted through the second day.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pictures of graupel on Shirley's Rock-Oak-Deer blog

This post was edited by roselee on Fri, Feb 7, 14 at 21:58

o

Agree Pam, miserable cold !!!!

Those are great photos from Shirley's yard..............hasn't this been an unusual winter??? And LONG ????

o

It's been longer periods of cold than 'normal' for sure. With the weather bouncing up and down, I've been sick. I've had a cold or the flu for 8 weeks or more, so sick of the cold and coughing!

o

Pam, I am so sorry you are sick. Cold is bad enough, but sick and cold is totally unacceptable. Hope you are better and soon.

o

Well, that settles it, the pool party at Carrie's is CANCELLED! ;)

And, Pam, you might try one of those lights that simulates daylight. Some folks claim they really help this time of year. Hope you get better soon.

o

I was thinking of scheduling another one, RC, but second round (ice pellets I believe) is forecast for tomorrow..........so may have to wait for Spring. That is, unless you get out there and close the gate.

o

Pam, I hope you get to feeling better real soon...

Yes Carrie, someone does need to get out there and close that gate!

RC.. You're closest to it. :)

o

They tell us another round is swinging through up here tonight. I'm thinking a warm drink by a hot fire sounds better tonight than going out to close gates!

o

Gail, I do believe our "gatekeeper" has lost his zeal for closing the gate. It may be a longer winter than we anticipated.

o

I agree Carrie.. but I don't blame him. I certainly wouldn't be getting out in it to close the gate!
But after today our forecast looks really nice.

o

Ha.....RC already knows I wouldn't be going out in the cold to close any gates. I can only hope that we have only a few short weeks of this cold left. He must have closed one of the gates though, as I didn't have any white stuff this morning. Thanks, RC.

o

I can't take any credit... but, supposed to be almost 80 here Saturday. Not bad.

And, you guys might get a kick out of this. We had "plant snow" yesterday. Really. One of the chemical plants up at Borger (50 miles or so NE) apparently pumps out a lot of warm moist air, and we got snow from it. Some places got up to 4 and half inches. We just got about an inch or so here in town. but, it snowed a big part of the day. At times you could see the sun while it was snowing.

We were in the "plume". Not sure how you shut the gate on a plume. lol

o

That's pretty amazing about the plant snow, RC.

I can't wait for the temps to get warmer here.. and stay that way.

o

Me, too !!!!

o

It was a bit warmer today :-) I walked the yard during my lunch break.

RC, that snow does sound amazing!

o

I plan on doing some outside walking myself, Pam, if the seventies are as warm as they sound.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here