Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
ruthz_gw

Winter Iris

ruthz
10 years ago

Iris unguicularis
This is my first bloom ever on this iris.

Comments (19)

• ruthz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Texas Scarlet Flowering Quince is blooming good

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Oh dear, I haven't been around front to see if my quince is blooming, but bet it is. Lovely iris, Ruth, anything with color this time of year makes me feel better. My big yellow daffs and the little white ones with yellow centers are both blooming, as is my winter honeysuckle, and my vibirnum is full of buds.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I bet it is. Sounds like your yard is about to be bursting with color.
    My daffodils are just up a few inches, but I see a lot of others blooming in my neighborhood.
    I've read that some viburnum shrubs stays bloomed for about a month. Is it also fragrant?

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Lin gave me the vibirnum. I think it is burkwoodii, and yes, it is fragrant. I took a peek at the quince as I drove past this morning and it is in bloom.................they are such a welcome sight this time of year. Many of the local Bradford pears are in bloom, but mine aren't as yet.

• rcnaylor
    10 years ago

And I say, toungue in cheek, this is why I hate you gardeners down state. You are in full bloom while my place still looks more like frozen tundra. ha ha!

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Oh, RC, and why we (tongue in cheek) hate Jim, as he is yet farther south. Wonder why he hasn't posted what he has blooming?? I hope he hasn't had a bad winter.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Ruth, how very welcoming color is this time of year. I don't have anything blooming now. ~ (I take that back. Four nerve daisy just reminded me that it's blooming! Blackfoot daisy is covered with buds, but none has opened yet. Spring is not far away ... :-) ~ There's not even any pretty foliage. Most everything froze back. So seeing pictures of your flowers is refreshing.

Yes, wondering what Jim has blooming now.

This post was edited by roselee on Tue, Feb 25, 14 at 11:33

• ruthz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I've had a few straggler camellia's blooming for a few months now, but never did bloom good this year in spite of being covered with buds in the beginning.
    My red bud is starting to show some life and I have some buds on a dianthus.
    I want to try the four nerve daisy. I love the Blackfoot daisy's and have tried them several times and they just die.
    I even bought the 1 gallon pots and they still just died.

• rcnaylor
    10 years ago

We need to recruit someone from the Valley to see if we can get Jim envious like the rest of us!

• carrie751
    10 years ago

What a great idea, Richard...................anyone down that way want to respond???

• rcnaylor
    10 years ago

A few years ago we helped with a fund raiser where we sold grapefruit and oranges from the Valley.The boxes were delivered around mid-November as I recall in an 18 wheeler.

As we unloaded a snow hit. The driver was amazed. It was the first snow he had ever seen.

I let him get well gone driving that rig in snow before I left!

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Some people live such a sheltered life, don't they? I could go without ever seeing snow again.... pictures do nicely for me.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    10 years ago

Hi Ruth - we grow four-nerve daisy both at the library garden and the arboretum here (I volunteer at both). It really needs full sun to thrive.

At the library we had some in a west bed but under an oak tree that was pruned very high; it struggled at best. Last spring, we moved it to a bed on the east/southeast side of the building, and it just took off! It was in constant bloom in that bed all summer, and I think it even bloomed some during the winter.

Same at the arboretum- I had 2 clumps in 'my' butterfly garden, and the one that's in part shade struggled so badly that this spring I'm moving it to the sunnier side of the bed, where the other clump thrived.

• ruthz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Lin. So if I try it, don't expect too much, huh.
    Bet this is the case with Black Foot Daisy also.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    10 years ago

Yeah, I bought some at the plant sale at the arboretum, and it did nothing here. I bet it would grow SUPER at Carrie's house!

I was at the aboretum Wednesday and yep, it's blooming its little head off. How nice is that?!?!

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Where would I put it, Lin, where it would not get too much water when the sprinklers are on???

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    10 years ago

Carrie, the beds at the arboretum were DRENCHED last summer - the lady who runs it thought she really needed to soak the beds with the new irrigation system, had it running 6 hours at night, multiple times a week - I about lost my foot in mud in that bed more than once. We finally got her talked out of it, but not till the hogs came in and rooted around in that one damp place in town!

So maybe it wouldn't mind the water from the sprinklers...

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Well, mine wouldn't get anywhere near that much water, so maybe I could try some here............. I really like them.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    10 years ago

That is just a beautiful iris Ruth and I just love flowering quince!