Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bossjim1

My Winter Room

bossjim1
12 years ago

I thought I would show you my winter room before I take it down for the year. I got the idea to close in my patio after seeing pictures of Plantmaven's. I built panels that are 3 feet wide then screwed together so they can be taken down and stored for the summer.

I just move my pot plants in when there is a freeze coming, then move them back outside after it has pasted. With just one short south wall, they don't really get enough sun to leave in all winter.

I built this flat car to move the 20" and larger pots into the RV barn. It just rolls in and out, and I left the pots setting on it all winter. It's 2 feet wide and 8 feet long, and will hold 4 24" pots.

Jim

Comments (12)

• melvalena
    12 years ago

I love both the room and the cart. I've thought and thought about doing a room like that.. just need to convince hubby its a worth while project. :)

• carrie751
    12 years ago

You are so handy, Jim...........that looks great and serves the purpose. I closed in my patio for over ten years (had a door at eithe end for easy access), but the heavy duty plastic just rolled up and stored at the top during the summer. Not as pretty as yours, but it worked. Great job !!!

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

I really like the rolling cart.

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    12 years ago

Wow, Jim, that is fantastic! I would love to have something like that - especially with the cart to make it a breeze to move plants in and out...

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for your kind comments. It took the winters of '09 and '10 to remind me that 'zone 9' isn't chiseled in stone and I had better make some accommodations. Of course after building this stuff, we have had a 'normal' winter this year. I think we had 1 night at 29 deg.
    Jim

• carrie751
    12 years ago

OH, but that one night can damage many tropicals, Jim. You did good.................and it is THERE should you need it.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Wow!!! That's a very neat set up you have there!

I didn't go so far as shut in my patio, but I did buy a LOT of comforters with which to cover stuff in case of hard freezes and guess what -- no winter.

I'm keeping my order in at my daughter-in-law's resale shop for beach umbrellas to shade things this summer. Hopefully, it will stave off a summer like we had last year, ya' think?

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

That is so nice you did a great job. We have a screen room and I hope to get some panels built to make it into a winter house for my plants.

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Next year I'll only close in about a third of the patio. I really missed being able to sit on the patio and see the garden. I do some of my best gardening from my chair.
    Jim

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Jim, what grade mil did you use? after last summer, mine is splitting. He put it on the outside of the 2 x 4s. I think it might work better if nailed/stapled what ever, to the interior side. Whatcha think?

k

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Kathy, I used 6 mil. plastic. Since my enclosure isn't meant to stay up year round, I ripped 2 X 4's into 1 1/2 X 1 1/2's, stapled the plastic to the inside, then covered the wood with 5/16 X 1 1/2 lathe strips. The wooden strips hold the plastic better than staples alone. I put the strips up with 1/4" crown staples. I use 4 mil. plastic on my little mist table, and have to replace it every year.The UV rays make it real brittle.
    Jim

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Thanks.
    He put lath over the plastic and pieces of card board "washers" under the nails.
    Since money is an issue, I think we will put the new on the inside ourselves and leave the outer layer until it starts waving at us.

k