Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melvalena

Photos of blooms 3/16/12

melvalena
12 years ago

A friend came over last week with her super duper camera and took some pictures for me:

Double Delight Roses

golden celebration:

Coral Honeysuckle

Winter mixed pot

Back neighbor's Lady Banks rose- we get peeks of it over the top of our fence and through the trees. K had to stand on a ladder to get this shot:

California sunset mix poppy

oak leaf hydrangea with old and new leaves:

here's some I took with my little camera earlier in the week:

coral honeysuckle I saw the first hummer at yesterday:

red salvia greggii

I'll try to get some wider shots of the beds this week.

Comments (18)

• rcnaylor
    12 years ago

Great pics. Love that third one of the Double Delight rose!

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Pretty, pretty, pretty! Many years ago I had a tree form DD rose.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Wow, I am so jealous...........my roses got a severe pruning late, so I have only one Perfume Delight and red climber blooming. Very, very pretty.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

So pretty! I love that coral honeysuckle! That is a gorgeous poppy, love the color! What is the tall purple bloom in the mixed pot?

My neighbor has Lady Banks blooming too...such a nice big show of blooms.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

The pansies are delightful and the different stages of bloom on the Double Delight rose are gorgeous. DD always stands out as one rose easy to ID. Even if you couldn't see it you could ID it from the strong scent.

I love your colorful winter pot. It looks kind of like the higher pot coming up from inside in the bottom pot making a double decker (an idea is forming!) but it's more likely placed behind it.

Looking foreward to the seeing wider shots of your beds. Looks like spring is in full swing for sure. Thanks for posting!

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone for the comments. I'm so not a picture taker. I'm thankful I have a friend who loves to take photos.

Carrie, I didn't get to prune my roses at all this year. When I went out to do it they had so many buds I just couldn't cut them off. :(
    I figured I'll do it once the big flush is over. I have 4 vases of roses in my house right now... had a few others last week, still lots more buds coming. I'm sure your's will kick it in gear and produce bunches for you soon.

Pam,
    The tall purple is ornamental kale gone to flower, at first I cut the stalks back, but they re grew so fast I'm just letting them bloom. Its surrounded by white and purple alyssum. The top pot is trailing pansies, a impulse by spurred by the check out lady at Calloway's with more alyssum in the center. I'm really glad I picked them up.
    It turned out really pretty and looked good all winter.

I plan to replant the alyssum in the beds and put petunias in those pots for spring/summer/fall.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It IS a double decker pot. :) I have 2, one on each side of the patio. I'll try to get a closer photo of it for you this afternoon.

I just love Double Delight. I have 3 of them in a row.

Any rose I grow has to be pretty, re bloom, smell good, not be too thorny and be disease resistant or it isn't worth a spot in my yard. I don't spray, but I do fertilize and try to keep them on the small side. (so I can grow other stuff too)

• christinmk z5b eastern WA
    12 years ago

Saw your post on the Perennial forum...

SPECTACULAR! That DD rose really tickles my fancy! Love how the tips are saturated with red. Don't you just love the Coral Honeysuckle? I have several L. sempervirens and adore them. The hummers do too, which is a nice bonus! ;-)

Very pretty shots! Thanks for sharing
    CMK

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks KMC for coming over for a visit and your comments.

I do love just about everything I've planted here at this house.

Roselee, I went out to take some better shots of the double decker pots and the battery died on me. Its charging up and I'll try to get the pictures taken in the morning.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Thanks Melvalena! I'm eager to see how the double decker pots are put together.

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

Looking good! Your roses are beautiful! I really like your pots. Your new garden is really coming together.

I like Lady Banks, as long as she is in someone else's yard!

The camera is so much more frustrating than the trowel, but please keep posting, we really like seeing pictures of your garden.

Jim

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Jim, I have the room and sometimes I question what I was thinking when I planted FOUR of them. They are beautiful right now mixed with the wisteria (that I definitely wish I had not planted at this particular spot), but the fence says it is getting to be quite a burden.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ok Roselee, here you go.. it is raining but I figured I'd better get the shots before the sun comes out and its so bright and muggy out.

I purchased 3 of those "things" at Calloways. One broke but I may be able to use it with a little mending and and wiring.

I need to id a plant in the shade bed so while I was out there I took these quick shots standing in the same spot at about the midway point of the bed looking

right(west)

then left (east)

I'll try to get more photos later when its not so wet and squishy out there.

Jim, I think you're right.. as big as my yard is, I don't have enough room or structure for such a rose. Its enough to be able to see my neighbor's over the fence every year.

• Vulture61
    12 years ago

:D More than the plants, what I like the most of your garden are your fence and the flowerbeds. They look very solid, bold and well built.

Omar

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

LOL.. I have to agree Omar. They do dominate the vista. That back shade bed, the trees and shrubs were here when we bought the place. We re replaced 2 side fences, old not and not as nice-- to match the one along the back of the shade bed. Then added the beds in front of them to blend with the back shade bed, and re did the beds up along the house to make them bigger. Now I'm filling in, and we're looking at trees to go on the east and west side beds as well.

I'll try to post more photos that give a better over all view of the yard.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Ah, now I see how the double decker pots are done. I hadn't seen those 'things' to do it with before. Or if I did I didn't know what they were for. Thank you.

I love seeing the large vistas and getting an overall view of gardens to see how everybody does their landscaping. Yours is just beautiful, especially for the short time you've been in the house.

I'm looking forward to seeing more.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

hehehe, the top pot was what I 'saw' when I asked about the tall purple blooms! If I has finished that thought with 'that look like pansies' you could have had a fine laugh ;-)

My eyesight is just not what it used to be, even with readers.

Pam

• melvalena
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Funny Pam!
    I'm always second guessing what I think I'm seeing. Especially if its moving!

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner