Houzz Logo Print
rcnaylor

Oh my gosh, we may have jinxed Jim!

rcnaylor
10 years ago

Texas Storm Chasers
Shared publicly - 8:18 AM
#txwx
Almost 40,000 people without power around Houston. Ice in trees bringing them down.

And, coincidentally, why it is a bad idea to try to generalize about "Texas" weather. Houston is getting hit with an ice storm today while what is generally the north pole of Texas is clear, dry and predicted to be in the mid-60's today.

Good luck Houston. Hope we didn't "cause" you too much trouble Jim!

Be safe on those icy roads down there guys!

Comments (9)

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Just spoke with my daughter in Austin, and they were spared the amount predicted for them as it did, indeed, hit the eastern part the worst. I hope they are all okay as I know they don't prepare for this like some of the rest of us do.
    Let us hear from you, Jim.

• melvalena
    10 years ago

I had no idea this was going on down there... I thought everything had moved on to the east.

I hope Jim doesn't suffer too much damage.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Okay, Jim........................I am ready for you to respond to one of these posts.....................let us know you are okay.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

I was very surprised to see the amount of ice in Houston's recent ice storm on someone's blog. It was linked from someone else's blog and now I can't find it.

Boss Jim, you okay?

• bossjim1
    10 years ago

Hi Guys! Sorry to be so late checkin' in! We're good down here, got our rain after the temps. were above freezing.

It has been a rough winter. Most everything was killed down to the ground, I'm not complaining, I know you have that every winter. We had hard freezes in Dec., Jan., and Feb. The only thing I have blooming are violas. I wish now that I had planted snapdragons and petunias last fall.

You know when you get lemons, you should make lemonade, so while everything is cut down, if I can get a couple of days above 70, I'm going to pressure wash the fences. I took down most all the free standing trellises and arbors, and moved to the driveway, where I will pressure wash then give them a coat of cedar stain before returning to the garden.

I've got a gazillion poppies up and growing, so looks like it will be a good year if spring ever gets here.

Maybe this winter will set the chili thrips back on their heels for awhile.

Jim

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Sounds as if you have a pretty hefty schedule there, Jim. So glad to know you didn't get the ice storm.

• rcnaylor
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Glad to hear you missed the ice, Jim. That stuff can be dangerous fast, especially where it is not dealt with often. As Atlanta found out.

• melvalena
    10 years ago

Hey Jim! When you're done with all that I have a similar list of chores at my place .... :)

Glad to hear you didn't hit too hard or too long with this last one.

Your spring comes long before mine, so take your time getting up here. :)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

It's good that you found silver linings in having your plants frozen back.

Those were my thoughts about chilli thrips here in S. A., too.

Maybe you could post some photos of your cleaned up garden so we can enjoy its growing back along with you. We all like before and after photos..