Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Less lawn ...

We now have no grass in an area that was hard to keep watered. Yea!

Bob dug out the grass in front of the cedar swing, designed and layed the stone. I've been having fun placing pots of succulents ...

Neptune approves. He stands guard over the water faucet for the back yard so we don't use too much ...

Sport's body language says it's a great place to soak up the sun on a cool morning ...

We so enjoy the swing. It's great to sit outside almost any time of day during the recent long temperate season with no mosquitos.

This post was edited by roselee on Tue, Mar 12, 13 at 13:23

Comments (7)

• rcnaylor
    11 years ago

Thanks for some great ideas, roselee. If we don't get back to more "normal" rainfall up here in the next year or two, I'm going to have to do something to try to use less water and still have an inviting lawn and garden.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Richard. I'm enjoying converting my yard to being less of a water guzzler and less work on my part as well. The light wasn't too good to see what the whole area that Bob worked on looks like, but wanted to give some idea of what we've done in case it would help to inspire others. I'm eager to see how the ornamental grasses do that are planted in another part of the yard and will be posting more photos as the new plants grow in.

• southofsa
    11 years ago

Wow Roselee - that looks great! I have to admit though, I look at all those pavers and rock and my back hurts a little bit. What do they call that - sympathetic pain?

Keep us posted on the progress - Lisa

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Lisa!

Those are my feelings as well when I see Bob laying pavers, but lucky for me he still has good knees and and a good back. He does wear those pads on his knees when he works and heavy welder's gloves as well. They have longer cuffs to protect the lower arms.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

I love the mix of pavers and river rock! It's looking good!

• rock_oak_deer
    11 years ago

Looks good and the pavers make a very stable surface too.

Less lawn = more plants!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Pam. I hand picked the river stones out of large wire bales at Rainbow Gardens Nursery. At 19 cents a lb. a three quarter full five gallon bucket costs about $7.00. Glad you like it!

Shirley, the pavers do make a very stable surface to walk on which was Bob's purpose in using them. I would have gone with all flag stone, but flagstones are more bumpy on the bottom making them more difficult to install so they sit firmly plus many of them have an uneven top surface as well. So since he was doing the work I agreed to mostly pavers.

Yes -- "more plants". The area gives me a good place to put many pots of the succulents I've been collecting through the generosity of my garden buddies. Thanks everybody :-)