Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
pkponder2

Early Spring plants and a couple to ID

PKponder TX Z7B
12 years ago

I got busy snapping photos this morning!

This is a volunteer that appeared next to the patio. It's possible that it came from my seed box but I have no idea what it is. Can someone ID it?

Closeup

This is a lovely plant that was called Rain Lily when it was gifted to me. It doesn'y look at all like my other rain lilies, the blooms are 1.5 inches wide and have those really interesting spikes that the blooms shoot up from.

Orange Cosmos and Orange Noah Moring Glory seedlings

The Swamp Milkweed that I planted last spring...no growth last year!

Veronica on it's last hurrah!

The Ajuga is really showing off!

Black and Blue Salvia Guarantica

Blue Nikko Hydrangea

This butterfly loves the Ajuga

Carolina Jessamine lonely bloom...I don't get many blooms on this.

Cilantro

Creeping Thyme with lots of mini oak trees

Elfin Thyme

Hot Lips Salvia

Lemon Thyme

More Elfin Thyme

Comments (13)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Spring is an exciting time, I agree!

I think that you are right about the lily, Kathy. It looks exactly like the images that I googled! Thank you!

I've been out weeding, there's no end in sight :-)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

I love seeing how all your flowers and herbs are flourishing! Things are looking REALLY good. The ajuga is gorgeous. The red admiral butterfly says it tastes good too.

Sorry I can't ID the other plant. It looks familiar, but I can't place it. I thought at first it might be a blue mist flower, but the leaves are different on mine. I go through this ID business every spring when I take things out of the greenhouse. It was perfectly obvious what it was when I put it in there, but the memory fades through the winter.

Thanks for posting your photos!

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

It's always such a good feeling when the garden wakes up in the spring! The ajuga is very pretty. Is it in full sun? The little Star of Bethlehem is also quite pretty and interesting the way the blooms form from a central stem.

Thanks for posting, and please post more as things progress.
    Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

It just hit me that the butterfly is a 'Painted lady'. But whateva' -- I loved seeing it. Hope we have more butterflies this year than last summer which was zilch.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I wasn't sure what butterfly that it was! Thanks for the ID Roselee...it has that dark smudge in the middle but that was hard to capture in the wind.

Jim, the ajuga is in filtered sun under oak trees. In a couple weeks it will be almost full shade. The 'beards' are falling and leaves are not far behind.

I spent most of the day weeding the cactus garden...chickweed, crabgrass, horseherb (wish it blended with cactus better) and tons of the clover stuff that form burrs. My back aches :-) On the upside, I found 15 tiny mexican feather grass volunteers! I love free plants! I am not one to spend much money on plants and the mama was $7.50 so the babies are really a blessing! I love that garden and only water it once a month when it's hot.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Looking good, Pam. I thought my cat had killed my Mexican feather grass one year..........she loved playing with it as it flowed with the breeze, and then she would jump in the middle of it and roll. Imagine my surprise when I found many "volunteers" from this plant scatteded all around it. I tell you this story so if you need MORE volunteers ..............get a cat.........LOL>

PKponder TX Z7B thanked carrie751
  • texasflip
    12 years ago

I think the unknown plant is Bowlesia incana. It grows throughout my parents' yard on the coast.

PKponder TX Z7B thanked texasflip
  • roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

So it's a weed. Found it in my yard today. I guess that's why it looked familiar. Texasflip, thanks.

PKponder TX Z7B thanked roselee z8b S.W. Texas
  • PKponder TX Z7B
    Original Author
    12 years ago

It sure is! Thanks Flip! Can y'all believe that I potted and watered a weed? It's so pretty!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Yes, I can. It has beautiful dainty foliage and besides as they say one man's weed is another man's treasure, even food in the case of dandelions :-)

• texasflip
    12 years ago

Haha, sorry to disappoint (or maybe not).

PKponder TX Z7B thanked texasflip
  • pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

Lovely flowers and herbs.

Sponsored
CHC & Family Developments
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, Ohio