Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bossjim1

I Tried Roselee's Pot Painting Technique

bossjim1
12 years ago

Ever since Roselee posted the pictures of her beautiful flower pots and told us how she painted them, I've been wanting to give it a try.

This first pot is an old terracotta pot that I've had for years. I wanted to plant a little rose called 'Rise and Shine' that I got from ARE in it. The rose is suppose to bloom yellow then fade to white.

This pot was a black plastic pot. I painted it with a dark 'Raspberry' Fusion spray paint, then a watered down black latex enamel and wiped most of it off.

Last summer the raccoons tipped the bowl off of my birdbath, and broke it. I built a top for the remaining pedestal out of cedar, then painted it using Roselee's method again.

Roselee,thanks for the instructions.

Jim

Comments (19)

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Wow, Jim, now that you've got the hang of it..........I have several that you could practice on. Those are gorgeous, and yes, thanks Roselee, for your great ideas.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

!!!EXCELLENT!!! Jim, you're a pro at everything you undertake. Like Carrie I've got a few you could practice on :-)

I've been thinking of trying the 'fusion' paint. That one looks great as does the plant stand. Great job!

• rcnaylor
    12 years ago

Very nice Jim!

And, I really appreciate you refraining from including in the pics any of your plants that I won't see the likes of up here for a couple of months at least!

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for looking. They aren't as pretty as Roselee's pots but I'm happy with them. I'm going to practice on some more.
    Jim

P.S. Here you go Richard!

• Vulture61
    12 years ago

:D Lol!! That was mean (but funny!!) Jim!!

Those pots look good!

Omar

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Oh, don't worry about it, RC, I think he painted this along with his containers...........what do you think???

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Jim, what IS that plant???

• rcnaylor
    12 years ago

Thanks Jim! Whatever that plant is, it looks "tender". I'm sure it would be looking real pert after a couple of nights up here with what we have coming:

Tonight - Rain/Snow Mix
    Hi 78� : Low 41�
    Our weather will take a drastic turn from the unseasonably warm to the unseasonably cold in one night as a strong cold front blasts through the High Plains. Temperatures will tumble into the 30s and upper 20s by sunrise Thursday as skies quickly become partly to mostly cloudy after frontal passage. As the upper-level storm system approaches, scattered rain showers will develop that will changeover to snow as cold air aloft moves overhead by Thursday morning

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You're right Richard, it is tender. The plant is a Flame vine (Pyrostegia venusta). I got it in the summer of 2009. It blooms in Jan., Feb., and March but it froze to the roots in the winters of 2009 and again in 2010, so this is the first time it has bloomed for me. Hopefully it'll put on a few more clusters before it's finished.
    Jim

• rcnaylor
    12 years ago

Well, its pretty Jim. Thanks for sharing some of those things that you can do on the coast!

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Those are pretty, nice job Jim.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Jim, you did a great job, painting those pots. Barbra

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

I have that same terracotta pot that's in your first picture! That will be so pretty with the Rise and Shine rose in it! well, it's pretty by itself!

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, ladies.
    Jim

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    12 years ago

bossjim, your endeavors look great! Would you mind posting a link to roselee's painting technique, plese. I have pots that really need help. I did a search, but could not find roselee's technique for painting.

• ibheri
    12 years ago

Wow Jim, you are such a pro!!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Walnutcreek, it's not so much that I posted a technique to refinish pots. It's just that through the years I've posted a lot of pictures of my garden showing the pots that have been painted and/or antiqued.

Basically I paint a pot, plastic or clay, with latex paint (much of it is paint that has been returned to paint stores and sells for 2 or 4 dollars a can) and then I thin another color paint (small containers of many colors are available at hobby stores) with water for the 'antiquing'. It's just brushed on and wiped it off with a damp paper towel.

Some of the pots are ordinary black nursery pots and some are plastic pots that have a design to make them look like clay pots. Anything goes, just keep trying to get the effect you want. It helps to look at some 'pretty' pots at garden centers or on line.

Jim mentions 'Fusion' spray paint which is formulated to stay on plastic pots. I haven't tried it yet. Ordinary paint flakes off shiny plastic pots if they are not roughed up with sandpaper first.

Wishing you the best with your pot painting. You can't mess up a pot because you can always paint it over again.

• WalnutCreek Zone 7b/8a
    12 years ago

Thank you so much, roselee. I can hardly wait to get to the paint store and see what they have in the oops! department. Think this will be lots of fun.

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Walnutcreek, and thank you Indu!

Roselee thanks for your response, I didn't know if I could exactly pinpoint a certain thread to point Walnutcreek to.
    Jim