Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lucas_tx_gw

Look what followed me home

lucas_tx_gw
12 years ago

So this is what happens when you listen to a bunch of enablers..

As requested earlier, photos of the mutabilis in bloom

I tried to get inside the bush so you can see just how big the trunk is but I'm not sure you see quite far enough

Kind of a dark day but but hopefully you can see the colors OK.

This is crossvine and coral honeysuckle with some already played out daffs at the bottom

The other side of these vines

Columbines. These in corner got the most shade and soaker hose water last summer (we water the foundation) so they are ahead of everyone else

Coralberry still a few berries hanging on but in spring its main attraction is the lime green foliage

Red yucca (hesperaloe) getting ready to bloom

Phlix pilosa

Horseherb just starting to bloom

Golden groundsel (Packer obovata) on the way out with white avens (Geum canadense) which hasn't quite started

Dotted blue eyes, my favorites! I make DH mow around them all over the yard ;-)

Oak leaf hydrangea 'Snow Queen' just starting to bloom for the first time.

Very exciting Baptisia is going to bloom for the firs time. This one went in the ground in fall 2010. I have another that went in during spring 2011, it's way behind this and I'm sure it won't bloom this year.

Not a great pic but Salvia greggii raspberry getting started and Engelmann's daisy just getting ready to bloom

Next door neighbor's bluebonnet patch

Louis Hamilton globe mallow (Sphearalcea ambigua) this was spectular a few weeks ago, on its way out now

The septic system ball diamond bed we put in last fall. Pretty immature but growing. Elderberries in the back getting ready to bloom, spring obedient plant getting ready.

Lotsa martins

Clematis

Have a few more but my broswer is getting cranky so I'm going to submit this before I lose this whole thread.

Hope you enjoy!

Teri

Comments (11)

• Vulture61
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Thank you for sharing, Teri!! Your plants look awesome. I really like your beautiful oversize vines.

Omar

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Absolutely gorgeous, Teri..............I just may have to have one of those roses...........I have just the spot for it to grow as large as it would like, and it would be beauty I could enjoy without spending a lot of time on it. Thanks for sharing these .....your property is awesome.

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

Beautiful pictures. Thanks for posting.
    Jim

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Oh my, just gorgeous!
    I had blue eyed grass at my former house.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

I love blue eyed grass, but missed the bloom this year! Thanks for posting all of your lovely blooms.

Quick question...how big is the coralberry? I put a tiny one in last fall and look forward to seeing it grow.

Pam

• lucas_tx_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

The coralberry grows fast. I think that one is starting its second summer, I ripped out an Indian Hawthorn that didn't like the shade and put it in and it took right off. Puts out those little runners the 'devil's shoestrings' so if you don't want it to spread you have to nip those off. I have a certain area I want it contained in so if goes out of bounds I cut them off and it doesn't care at all. Right now it's probably 3x4 and around 3' tall.

Carrie,

I'm not exaggerating when I say the mutabilis gets no care. If you have space, I'd highly recommend it. I'd say that from what others have reported it doesn't like being pruned. I've never pruned it except to remove dead areas. It's gotten kind of ragged a few times in really cold winters and last summer but always just bounces back. You can see it from the street and my neighbors buy them just because they like seeing it so much.

I'm going to plant Ms. Cant about 8 feet away from it and hopefully one day they will just be one big plant.

Can't wait for another couple of weeks to go by and more things to get going!

Teri

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Wow Teri, what a spread you have in every sense of the word. Your property is large enough to let those plants spread to their hearts content. Mutablis looks even better than I thought it would. What a wonderful rose. You'll like Mrs. B. R. Cant just as much.

Thanks for posting the pictures of ALL your plants! Keep them coming!

• lucas_tx_gw
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the idea on the Ms. Cant. I had been toying with putting something out there in the side yard to block out the bigger street because we're only one house from the corner so when you drive down the main street you can look right into our (not so beautiful) driveway.

So another giant rose bush was just the impetus I needed to go get that done.

Got her planted today, maybe this time next year she'll be able to show off a little.

Teri

• texanjana
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing, love your pics.

Jana

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Click on the link below, if you haven't already, to see some pictures. There a couple of full bush shots on HelpMeFind. The roses often come in clusters, are double, fragrant and great for cutting and last well in the vase. I think it will be a nice addition to your giant plant collection, but I think I probably said all that before :-)

Keep us posted!

Here is a link that might be useful: Mrs, B. R. Cant on HelpMeFind

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

A photo of a 5 or 6 year old Mrs. B. R. Cant was recently posted to the Antique Rose Gallery showing how large and beautiful it is.

Also please post your pictures of Mutabilis on HelpMeFind. They don't have any there that show the bush as well as yours.

Here is a link that might be useful: Full bush shot of Mrs. B. R. Cant

Sponsored
Yellowlite
Average rating: 4.6 out of 5 stars7 Reviews
Chicago's Leading Clean Energy & Solar Panel Provider