Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bossjim1

Things Are Looking Up!

bossjim1
11 years ago

Snapped a couple of pictures with my phone yesterday before the wind got here. Nothing really special, just signs of spring.

Jim

Comments (14)

• southofsa
    11 years ago

Just beautiful. Was the wind bad there? It really beat up some things I had outside that I hadn't planted yet.

Lisa

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Beautiful, Jim.................my YTD is blooming in the plant room and I have a few blooms on my cross vine, but nothing to compare with yours.............just gorgeous.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

I'm perennially amazed at how you get your vines and flowers to bloom so profusely! Fertilizer, water, climate, green thumb or .... witchcraft? ;-)

I'm also intriqued by the plant pillar behind the fire cracker plant. I don't remember seeing it before. It's beautiful. Give us a closer look at it sometime.

Thanks for the pictures. It gives me more to aspire to.

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for looking.

Lisa, the wind was pretty fierce. It stripped most of the blooms off of the crossvines and blew my lemon tree over and broke off all the lemons. The tree is in a 24" pot.

Carrie I hope your winter is finally over. You'll be in full bloom soon.

Roselee, more luck than witchcraft. The little column you asked about, is a plaster column, made for indoor use. I bought it at a resale shop for $5, 6 or 7 years ago. The rain and irrigation do erode it, but it has lasted for several years. I bought a new one ( different style ) for $15 at Garden Ridge for the Medusa pot. I primed and painted it. Here's another picture of the old one.
    Jim

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I just bought four of those at my local Kroger, Jim. I had two and wanted more, but did not wish to pay the $25 they were asking, then I went in one day and they had marked them down to $6.25, so I got four for the price of one.

• southofsa
    11 years ago

Now THAT is fierce winds. Sorry about the lemons :-(

Lisa

• dcarpenter
    11 years ago

Well I'm glad to see you didn't post pictures of anything special :) Love the pictures! Keep them coming.

Darlene

• Vulture61
    11 years ago

Looking good!

Omar

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Yeah -- right, Darlene ... he never does ;-)))

Carrie, what a deal you got at Kroger!

Jim, thanks for posting another photo of the column. It's held up really well. Did you treat it with anything?

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I would be interested in knowing that as well. The two I have had for several years have not been treated, and although they are not out in the weather, they are under the patio so get exposed to a lot of temp changes.

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Great deal, Carrie!

Thanks Darlene and Omar.

Roselee, I didn't treat the column. The new one I just got, I've primed and painted, It should stand up to the weather even better.

Do you remember me posting this begonia picture last fall? I think it's called Mexican begonia, anyway here's a picture I took yesterday of it in bloom.

Jim

This post was edited by bossjim1 on Thu, Mar 28, 13 at 9:08

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Beauitiful !!!! It looks huge, Jim, how tall is it???

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Wow Jim! That Mexican begonia is really impressive. The leaves are beautiful as well as the flowers. I don't think I've ever seen anything like it. Does it bloom all summer like most begonias? Does it like sun or shade? How cold tender is it? Not that I need any more plants or anything ... LOL

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks again. Of course, I gave you the wrong name. It's name is actually Star begonia, Begonia heracleifolia. I've had it about three years, and this is the best bloom display I've had. It blooms a little all the time but not like this. It has survived 28 deg. and is about 24" tall. it is planted in a bed on the north side of the house so gets very little direct sun.

Jim