Return to the Texas Gardening Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Spring's Pretty Columbines and Early Rose Blooms ...

Posted by roselee z8 SW Texas (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 31, 11 at 22:53

I'm still amazed at the interesting colors that keep coming from the one cross of 'Texas Gold Columbine' and 'Little Winkie', a dark purple and white columbine that I haven't seen in the nurseries this year.

The first two photos are of plants that came up inside the old pigeon loft gallery ...

I'm soooo glad to welcome the first blooms of Abraham Darby back to my garden. It is one of the roses which I lost in '08 that I missed the most. It's an older David Austin introduction, but IMHO it still can't be beat for its powerful fragrance and apricot colored blooms ..

Another lost the same year was Pat Austin. I'm not usually fond of orange colored roses, but there is something about the delicate shading of yellow on the outside of the petals plus a charming open nodding habit that endears it to me. Plus it has a very nice fragrance ...

Another older David Austin rose that remains a favorite is Charles Rennie Mackintosh. The lavender tinted pink color, globular form and scalloped petals are especially nice, plus it has the very welcomed habit of blooming in August when most roses shut down. It stays a small bush and has a myrrh fragrance ...

I bought Georgetown Tea years and years ago, but lacking room in my yard I planted it at my Mom's. Now that it's been named one of EarthKind roses I decided to reconsider growing it myself and took cuttings. This is the first bud ...

The beautiful pink shaded open bloom contrasts nicely with the dark red of the new foliage. I think I'm going to really enjoy having this rose in my yard ...

The Fawn is another rose that unfortunately died in '08. I am so fond of it I bought two to replace it. The beauty of this rose is in the large clusters that come continually on a low growing spreading bush. This is the first bloom ...

I have some newer David Austin roses coming along, but it will be a while before their first blooms.

In the meantime I'd like to see pictures of your roses and all your other plants that are blooming this spring as well! Please take some photos and post them. Thank you!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Spring's Pretty Columbines and Early Rose Blooms ...

Great photography Roselee! Such beautiful, rich colors. Love, love, love your Abe Darby and the FAWN. OMG! I have to get one! Tell me more about the Fawn, please.

All of my Austins are budded up and about to burst ANY DAY now! Can't wait to see what my babies will do this year. It's their third season so isn't this the year for them to shine? Can't wait!

Keep those photos coming, Roselee! You do a great job in enabling me with your lovely pics. :-)

o

Thank you Audrey! I'd be happy to enable you in whatever way I can to get 'The Fawn', also called 'The Faun', as well as by several other names in Europe.

Heirloom Roses were the original importers and had the exclusive right to propagate it for several years, but that has apparently run out as several nurseries offer it now. I got my latest two from Burlington Roses in California.

As mentioned it is a low grower that spreads out two or three feet horizonally so it's great at the front edge of a bed, very good also in a raised bed, or in a pot.

I'll be looking forward to seeing pictures of your roses when they bloom. I wouldn't mind seeing some bush shots to get an idea of their growth habits.

Here is a link that might be useful: The Faun on HelpMeFind ...

o
RE: Mrs. Dudley Cross ...

I meant to post this photo also of the incomparable Mrs. Dudley Cross, big bush, big flowers, big beauty, no thorns, ....

o

Those are wonderful colors. Your garden is so beautiful.

o

Very pretty, thanks for the tutorial on rooting roses yesterday.

o

When I lived in Colorado there was a lady who had planted just 1 Columbine plant and it re-seeded around her yard and just about everyone of those was a different color. Hopefully this is the nature of this plant.

o

Beautiful, thanks for sharing.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Texas Gardening Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here