Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
melvalena

elevating flower pots or large planters?

melvalena
10 years ago

I'm looking for ideas to raise a large pot at least a few feet so the plant can hang down but not touch the ground and so I can see it from inside my house while sitting down at the computer.

Its a Red Firecracker Fern, Firecracker Plant, Coral Fountain aka
Russelia equisetiformis, R. juncea

Right now its not a huge plant, but of course it sure wants to be! Its a 1 gal. I'll re pot it once I figure out the base. This is something I will have to bring inside for the winter, so I don't want just a tall planter. That would be too tough to drag in.

So far it looks like its going to cost me more money than I thought it would, which doesn't surprise me!!! All my creative ideas do!

Maybe there's a way to do something like this a little cheaper?
I do have a stack of left over bricks from when the house was built.

There's also the option of buying matching pots and turning the bottom one upside down to set the planted one on top of. I'm not too crazy about that though.

I'm thinking I want to run some rebar down the center of what ever I do so that it sticks up part way into the planted pot just to keep it from getting knocked of by storms, dogs, kids or hubby.

Anyone have any other ideas? Can you show me photos of what you've done to elevate larger pots?

Here's what I saw at Lowe's...and what I really have in mind --unless there's another option.

Here is a link that might be useful: scroll down to see one like mine

Comments (32)

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Gail, I left mine in a plant stand for at least a couple of years. Why not do this until the plant grows enough to need the type of support you are talking about? There are really nice wrought iron ones that look very attractive and are very sturdy, but if you felt you needed more protection, you could put rebar hooks at the base and drive them into the ground.

• User
    10 years ago

I used chimney flue pipes - terracotta things about a foot in diameter - and put a plant saucer or paver on them

Against the rear wall -

Here is a link that might be useful:

• melvalena
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you lazygardens, where do you purchase the chimney flue pipes?

I've seen them used in gardens before and loved them used that way.
    Can you tell me how much to expect them to cost, if I can find them?

I can't get your like to work, I'm sure your photo is awesome and would really like to see it.

• carrie751
    10 years ago

I couldn't get it to work either, and would really love to see it.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

I'm always looking for ways to elevate pots too and have occasionally found concrete stands at estate sales and junk places. I love the chimney pipe idea, but never went looking for them. I did something similar by stacking old clay pipes a friend gave me which were left over from a septic system construction. They are somewhat 'glued' together with clear calking, top and bottom have a paver. This one is pretty rickity, but is okay in its location where it's not likely to get bumped. Later it was streaked with a little moss green paint to 'antique' it.

I've also used the upside down pot idea plus used the inexpensive wire stands pushed into the ground and hidden by foliage. I've found that stands with plants that can catch the wind have to be secured or they blow over. I tried bent rebar to hold the feet of ornamental iron Mexican plant stands to the ground when they were placed on soil, but it pulled right out. A pile of small boulders placed on the bottom shelf or on the feet holds them down.. On the deck Bob screwed the feet down using metal brackets. Wire can hold the pot secured if near a fence or trellis. I've even used short bungie cords to hold the pot on the stand. Where there's a will there's a way!

• gardenper
    10 years ago

If you just want height, you can achieve that with a wood platform (but of course, it won't have the resiliency of the example stone setup you are showing).

A few 2x4s or landscape timbers can be the legs. For the actual platform, you can go as cheap as a plywood piece or any other wood in your budget.

You can also repurpose a pallet or two for a similar result, especially the ones having 2x4s as the base.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for your suggestions! I'll take another look through the big box stores. My son told me to get out of the garden area and go look through the masonry area and consider using cinder blocks... (UGH)

But he may be on to something.... I could use the cheaper ugly stuff for the actual support and put the nicer looking blocks/brick around the outside along with some plants to totally conceal the ugly parts.

He also told me he no longer sees clay chimney flues being used in new homes. He says they only use the metal ones now.

Several masonry supply places have all told me this morning they have no idea where to buy these locally. :( Maybe its a regional thing?

My wheels are turning... thanks for providing more inspiration!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Another thing that you or someone else might use is the bottom portion of a bird bath that you sometimes find dumped or at yard sales after the bowl has broken.

I found this bottom section but it had a metal rod sticking up to hold the birdbath bowl. So I 'gorilla glued' a pot with the rod going through the hole, placed a paver on top and sprayed the whole thing with textured paint in a concrete color. The paint has held for years even though the pot was glazed.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

One more. This may not be your style, but when a wrought iron stand bottom broke I turned the top upside down and put a pot on it. The weight of the pot keeps it steady.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Yes Roselee.. I love the birdbath one. I've just not be lucky enough to find a broken one laying around. :) Yours looks really great!

The upside down plant stand would work well in my back yard, but I don't think hubby would appreciate it much in the front.

BUT!!! If I had it under planted with something evergreen, and bushy he wouldn't notice it at all. :) No one else would either.

See? I knew you guys would have some ideas!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

Okay, one more thing. You can buy thick paper forms at lumber yards that are for making concrete pillars for foundations (I think). My neighbor Georgianne made some with easy to do sackcrete and uses the concrete pillars, which are partially buried, for plant stands. She stained them terracotta and they look GREAT!

• melvalena
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I found the photo of some I found some where on line years ago.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh Roselee!
    Those concrete pillars sound wonderful! Painting them to match the pots would be fun.
    Thanks for remembering that and passing it on here.

My son called and told me to look into finding some drainage pipes.. like those used for sewers..

• jolanaweb
    10 years ago

Look here Gail http://dallas.craigslist.org/mdf/grd/4368624258.html
    These aren't too far from you. I would get those in a heartbeat if they were near me, lol
    I think metal or cute wooden chairs are made to set plants on, lol

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

We used an old chiminea and turned it upside down. We found it on a drive-by when we had 'Recycle' days in our neighborhood. It works as planter for us.

• jolanaweb
    10 years ago

That's a great idea, I have seen those with a pot on top and one spilling out of the bottom also
    A strawberry pot would look pretty with a pot on top

• melvalena
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL!! Sunny, My son has one that cracked... I better ask him if I can have it!
    But maybe he'll want to use it now that I've planted that bug in his head!

And Jolanana!! wow... I'll try to see if I can get those! Maybe Carrie would like 'em too? Thanks for finding them!

You guys are the best! You come up with ideas my brain would never have!

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

Ha, DH could not believe that I dragged it home. He has positioned it in the farthest corner of the yard. :-))

It's behind the birdbaths, after Pedro and the burro, beyond the cactus, after the gate and there it stands.... under the telephone pole! It's okay, lol.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    10 years ago

LOL Sunny!!! Great start of my morning!

Oh my hubby wouldn't have lifted a finger to assist me, he'd be hollering at me to get rid of it and calling me by our "old crazy lady next door's name" ....over and over.. (she's a hoarder)

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Her name wouldn't be Carrie, would it Gail ??? LOL>

• melvalena
    Original Author
    10 years ago

:)
    oh Carrie.. we've never lived next door to each other! And you aren't a crazy lady either!

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

So funny, Melvalena and Carrie! Big grin!

Now when we drive down the street, DH usually tells me, "Don't look, Ethel." (My name is not Ethel.)

• carrie751
    10 years ago

Gail knows I am a pack rat, so I knew she would understand.................LOL> Just never know when you may need one of those items you planned to throw away. Even when I "clean up", I usually put more back than I throw away...................it's a sickness.............LOL
    Also, Gail, the neighbors may weigh in on the "crazy lady" when they hear me banging on the pie tin with a metal spoon trying to chase the cowbirds away from the feeder so the little birds can eat.

• melvalena
    Original Author
    10 years ago

HAHAHAHA!!!!! That is so priceless!!

• jolanaweb
    10 years ago

Carrie, that is just being nice, lol

Move in next to me, I'll show you crazy, LOL I've learned from all of the truly crazy neighbors we have had, LOL

Sunny, I love your yard!

Gail , did you check on the birdbath bases? Are you two girls getting them all ?

• melvalena
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Haven't checked yet...been making the dr visit rounds today...

• southofsa
    10 years ago

Not exactly around the corner from you but I've seen those chimney flues at Keller Material in southeast San Antonio. They have a lot of different sizes. It's been awhile since I've been out there but the bigger sizes weren't inexpensive. I bought a smaller one to plant my mint in so it wouldn't spread. When it gets light out I'll post a pic.

Lisa

• southofsa
    10 years ago

Here's a pic of my mint in the chimney flue - is that how you spell it? Anyway, there's about a foot buried in the ground. I think it was about 2' long overall. If you didn't bury it maybe you could put rebar inside to keep it stable if you put a pot on top? Though the look may be a little more rustic than you want.

Lisa

This post was edited by southofsa on Sat, May 3, 14 at 9:01

• melvalena
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Lisa.. yes that is what I've called all over DFW looking for.. none to be found here it seems.

But I haven't given up, next time I see brick layers or can make it to a fireplace store I'm going to ask 'em about these.
    I like yours. Great way to keep the mint from taking over.

• jolanaweb
    10 years ago

That mint looks nice in there

Gail, I heard this morning that used and or architectural salvage store might have them. After hearing that, I remembered in the past seeing them at habitat for humanity

• melvalena
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks Jolana.. I'll have to search some of those stores too.