Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bossjim1

I Have Spring Blooms

bossjim1
9 years ago

It has been a very strange spring. Two freezes after things started to bloom, the Yesterday,Today, and Tomorrow didn't bloom till April, it's always bloomed in March, the poppies bloomed in little waves, instead of all at once. Anyway, here's what I have.

Giant Ajuga

Blue-eyed Grass

Amaryllis

Peggy Martin

Aztec Lily

Thanks for looking,
Jim

Comments (21)

• plantmaven
    9 years ago

Oh my! Just beautiful. I really like the pink amaryllis.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    9 years ago

To have blooms zapped twice must be discouraging! But look at it now -- lots of color :-) I've never seen so many different amaryllis in one yard! Gorgeous!

Rosa Peggy Martin is outstanding! Do you still grow Climbing pinkie as well? What differences do you notice between the two? Some say Climbing pinkie blooms more through the summer.

• carrie751
    9 years ago

It's all beautiful, JIm, but the amaryllis is outstanding. The colors, the blooms ........... I like everything about them. Thanks for sharing even though my garden looks a bit dull by comparison.

• Vulture61
    9 years ago

Looking good, Jim!

Omar

• ibheri
    9 years ago

Wow Jim! Beautiful., I'm coming to see your Peggy Martin.
    No sign of Poppies for me. Climbing Pinkie is blooming well and Peggy Martin stated to put out a show.
    Indu

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you all for your comments.

Roselee, my Climbing Pinkie had a pancake fungus grow at it's base. I tried cutting it off and coating the scar with fungiside with no success, it grew right back. I finally took it out. The blooms are larger on Climbing Pinkie, but Peggy Martin forms huge clusters, especially at the cane terminals. I couldn't choose one over the other, they are both great climbing roses.

I had one more amaryllis bloom since I posted these, so here it is.

Jim

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks Indu. Yes, please do come for a visit.

Jim

• cynthianovak
    9 years ago

Wow! Thank you for posting these. Your amaryllis are weeks ahead of mine and your Peggy martin is stunning! These pics make it easier to get up and get back out there....c

• rcnaylor
    9 years ago

Ahh, those are gorgeous Jim!

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

Lovely spring blooms!

• sunnysa
    9 years ago

Amazing and gorgeous photos! What beauties they all are. It's a joy just to see them. Thanks, Jim.

• Lynn Marie
    9 years ago

Wow! I'm moving to where you are. My amaryllises still haven't bloomed and most of them look like they won't for the first time in 10 years. Thanks for sharing.

• melvalena
    9 years ago

Its been a really cold winter and long slow cold spring up in my neck of the woods and I've lost so many things that should have made it just fine.

Like Cynthia said, These photos are much needed inspiration for us to get back out there and do what needs to be done.

Thanks for sharing them with us.

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thanks for looking and for your comments.

Mel, you are right about this winter and late spring. I've had plants killed and frozen to the ground that survived the winter of '09 which was much colder. I think that it just stayed below freezing longer this time. It is forecast to reach 92 today, then be 51 Thursday morning. Crazy!

Jim

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

Hi Jim! There are a handful of gardens that I could look at pix of all day and yours is way up on the list!
    I see you have added some plants and structures since I last saw them!!

Beautiful!!!

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well look what the cat drug in! Hi, Jolana, thanks! I've been thinking about you, hope you are doing good.

Jim

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

Hi!!! Fluffer and I have been talking about you, maybe that is why. We moved closer in to get near Bill and the giant upright e ears finally grew. They love it here, it is interesting how well plants do when there aren't critters chewing on their feet, LOL

I think about all of y'all, all the time!!!

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm glad that you finally escaped from the gophers, I didn't have the ransom money, but was about to call in the Texas Rangers.

Jim

• southofsa
    9 years ago

So you all are saying the only way to get rid of gophers is to move????? Oh boy I'm in trouble :-)

Jolana- we've never met, but I've missed your posts. Welcome back!

Lisa

• jolanaweb
    9 years ago

HAHAHA, I am saying that
    Thanks Lisa, I am glad to be back

Jim, hmmm, TX Rangers, they law or the baseball team

I did try to hit a gopher with a bat one time, I came home from the docs and one of my fave passion vines was shriveled up . The only on the porch was a bat, LOL

Thanks for thinking of calling them, I appreciate it!!

• piksi_hk
    9 years ago

Oh my, Jim, your blooms are gorgeous but the Aztec lily! How did you get it to boom??? I have a couple of them for 10 years!!! No blooms!! Ever! Tell me your secret---

Sponsored
Land & Water Design
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
VA's Modern & Intentional Outdoor Living Spaces | 16x Best of Houzz