Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
southofsa

Garden pics

southofsa
11 years ago

I took some pictures this morning. I'm trying to play around with the web album feature in Picasa since that's what I use for most of my pictures. I hope this works.

https://picasaweb.google.com/daleandlisa/MyMorningStroll?authuser=0amp;fe at=directlink

Lisa

Here is a link that might be useful: Morning stroll

This post was edited by southofsa on Sun, Apr 21, 13 at 10:44

Comments (20)

• southofsa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Well that wasn't exactly what I wanted, but if you open the link up it does get to the album. Sorry I don't know the name of all the plants. Have a good rest of your weekend.

Lisa

• southofsa
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hey I think I got it this time. Thank you for your patience with me as I expand my computer skills :-)

Lisa

• melvalena
    11 years ago

You did a good job getting the link posted and your flowers and plants look great!

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

Pretty! I have some of the same columbine.
    Good Job!

• bossjim1
    11 years ago

Your garden is looking really good Lisa. Thanks for posting. I like your 'Dublin Bay' a LOT better since you pruned it. Now you have it going your way.
    Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    11 years ago

Everything looks great! I love the huge salvias, the plentiful lavender, the gorgeous roses, the apples (how exciting to have apples!), the varigated agave in the mixed planting -- ALL of it. I could even count most of the caterpillars when I enlarged the photo. Beautiful!

• southofsa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone- Like Roselee says you can never quite capture what it looks like with a camera. But it's fun trying. OTOH I don't necessarily show all the empty pots lying around that I haven't quite gotten around to picking up
    :-).

Jim- the Dublin Bay really has settled in well. The tips I got here and on the rose forum were a huge help.

Roselee- most things didn't freeze back this winter. It's pretty unusual to have them so big this early.

Plantmaven- this is the first year I've planted columbine. I sure hope they come back. They just seem so delicate to me.

Thanks for looking - Lisa

• freshair2townsquare
    10 years ago

Love the thick shrimp plant - can't wait for mine to mature. Thanks for posting.

• rock_oak_deer
    10 years ago

Very pretty Lisa!

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

The columbine are not as delicate as they look. Be sure to save you seeds I always toss 1/2 mine as soon as I collect them and the rest in late July.
    My reasoning is that they fall to the ground natural so I assume Mother Nature knows a whole lot more than I do.
    I thought you might like to see the wine colored ones.

• Vulture61
    10 years ago

Great job, Lisa. What I like the most is your weed control. I gave up fighting the grass and just keep growing whatever grows among the weeds.

Omar

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

Very nice garden stroll. I love all your columbine. I have the LONG spurred yellow one. That is all.

• southofsa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone-

Plantmaven- you overestimate my gardening skills. Saving seeds? Ha! I'm still amazwd when I put a seed in dirt that anything comes up. And then if it grows when I put it in the ground? Well that's practically a miracle :-) someday I'll get there. There's a bush where I work that I'd love to get some seeds from to try to grow. Maybe this year. We'll see.

Lisa

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

LOL, planting columbine seed is the easiest one to plant.
    Put them in the palm of your hand and lightly blow on them. That's all you have to do. Be sure to leave the bloom spike on the plant until it dries.
    When my children (and I) were young I saw a package of seeds I thought were pretty. This was in AZ and I was not familiar the name. I had the prettiest dahlias from seed. I did not realize they were supposed to be finicky to grow.
    Kathy

Here is a link that might be useful: saving seeds

• southofsa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Plantmaven- that's a great link. Thanks for posting it. It does look pretty easy. I'll try it this year and see what happens.

Lisa

• southofsa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Double post- oops! I need more coffee. Have a great Sunday everyone.

Lisa

This post was edited by southofsa on Sun, Apr 28, 13 at 7:12

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

The fun thing about columbines is that they combine (is that how they got their name? ;-) and you get new color combinations. I'm not too good at growing things from seed either, but with columbines I simply don't mulch the beds where they grow and they reseed there and all around between the bricks, etc. I like to have at least one plant of a Texas native variety, Hinkley's or the red and light yellow one, because they take the heat. If the plant gets kinda' beat up looking in mid summer you can just cut them back and fresh new foliage emerges.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    10 years ago

I picked up a relative of the long available Hinkley Columbine, The LongSpur Columbine from Arizona. I got it from High Country Gardens when I was in Santa Fe. The spurs are MUCH MUCH longer. They found a population that were REALLY long tailed up some remote canyon. It is a stunning one. It still is not huge I need to plant some more. I keep my garden dry and I do not have a lot of seeding out.. The old Hinkley bank I had got wiped out in the drought which might have been a good thing. That way this new one just might stay pure.There are a few seedlings trying to grow. should I throw some water on these old style ones or weed them and replace them with the new seed? AHHH, the dilemmas of gardening.

• sunnysa
    10 years ago

Lisa, thanks for posting the wine colored Columbine. I've never seen that one before. I didn't know you could save the seeds, either, lol. I was clipping the seed pods as soon as they appeared.... talk about feeling foolish. Thanks for the Picasso link, too. I'll have to try that one. I'll probably spend weeks on it trying to get it to work. I don't have high hopes in trying to post pics.

• southofsa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Mara- your kinds of dilemmas are really different than mine. Trying to decide which one to let live? I'm happy if anything keeps going. That's why I have some really funky color combos. I'm afraid if I try to move stuff I'll kill it.

Sunnysa- I hadn't seen the other colors either. It'll be interesting to see what they look like when the colors get mixed up. If you ever need lessons on how to procrastinate on garden chores just ask. It's not a totally bad thing. There's been more than once when I thought something was dead but just didn't get around to pulling it out. A month later it manages to come back to life. So now I just try not to procrastinate on pulling weeds.

Lisa