Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

A hardy succulent experiment ...

A very kind and generous gardener from Virginia sent me a colorful collection of cold tolerant succulents consisting of mostly Sempervivums, also known as hens and chicks, which are European in origin. They are said to take the heat of the south if they are in very well drained soil and kept out of the hot sun.

The only place I could think to place them was under the eaves in front. According to the internet they are not attractive to deer and besides I don't think the deer will browse behind the brick planter. I've placed them in pots with an especially well draining medium to insure good drainage ...

They get bright light and some filtered sun so it's hoped that they will do well here ...

They are of course young plants, but should fill the pots as they grow ...

Howwever, when I was about half done planting them I realized some of the pots will get runoff from the roof overhang ... sigh. It's always something :-(

Maybe Bob can be persuaded to put a length of guttering to divert the flow. Otherwise they may have to go somewhere else. We'll see. Most everything in gardening is an experiment, right?

Of course I will share plants if this experiement works :-) Wish me well ...

Comments (6)