Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bossjim1

I Have a Few Blooms

bossjim1
12 years ago

Here's Nun's orchids and Columbines.

Tuber vervain

The first of the day lilies from Maryott's 'Decadence'. I found thrips in all the day lilies earlier this spring, and there is some damage on this first bloom, hopefully I got them under control before they did too much damage.Time will tell.

Blue Walking Iris

This is an unknown rose. I bought it as New Dawn, which of course, it's not.

I bought a new pot for the Donkeytail sedum.

The climber Dublin Bay just keeps blooming. It's been in the garden for 4 years now, I guess it finally got 'comfortable'.

Chicago Peace

Last but not least, the brug 'Eternity' is a blooming machine.

Thanks for looking,

Jim

Comments (14)

• carrie751
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing........oh my, Jim, Eternity is outstanding...........I think mine (inground) will make a pretty good showing this year......she did not bloom at all last summer. As usual, it is all beautiful.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    12 years ago

Of course EVERYTHING is simply gorgeous -- roses, irises, out of this world brug, but aside from that you always come up with a plant that I've never seen before. This time it's the Nun's orchid. Wow -- that's a beautiful plant. A tender bulb I presume.

And the new pot! You have no idea how many times Patty and I have exchanged pictures when we come across a planter online in the shape of a head and we've never seen one locally. Love it! And the sedum is perfect for it.

Thanks for all the photos! Keep them coming ... :-)

• chickadee_42us
    12 years ago

The head filled with sedum (I think it's donkey tail??) looks whimsical and enjoyable. The color combinations in the second picture below Chicago Peace wow. The pinks blues an essence of greys and purples - truly beautiful.

As Roselee says, 'Keep the mcoming...:-)' I love seeing your colorful spaces. They provide me inspiration. I can't seem to keep a blooming color scheme going.

• Vulture61
    12 years ago

Just a "few" blooms, huh? They look very nice, Jim. I have never seen that orchid either.

Omar

• remuda1
    12 years ago

"but aside from that you always come up with a plant that I've never seen before."

Same here :). Love the orchids and the tuber vervain as well. Just beautiful!

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Carrie- I think that of all the brugs you sent me, Eternity is my favorite. Seems every time it blooms, it's completely covered.

The Nun's Orchid is really not that tender, being hardy to 20 deg. It has survived 17 deg. here.

Kristi- I think the Tuber vervain is a Texas native. It's leaves feel like sandpaper. It blooms all summer.

Roselee- When I found that head pot, I was shopping for a Medusa head to plant this thing Juncus filiformis 'Spiralis' in. So I'm still hunting.

Jim

• ibheri
    12 years ago

Wow..so pretty. The donkey tail and the new pot, both look awesome Jim !!

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks, Indu. I had forgotten how brittle the Donkeytail was, and probably broke a fourth of it off while transplanting.

Jim

• PKponder TX Z7B
    12 years ago

I love all of them! The head pot is so cute!

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

Wow!

I have an unknown pink that has been through a lot of ABUSE. Planted it in the ground and has 17 large buds. I wonder if this is my mystery pink.

All the photos are great
    c

• jardineratx
    11 years ago

The photos are all beautiful, Jim--and your garden is always so healthy and lush!
    I have a Nun's orchid in a container and I am tempted to plant it in the ground now that I see how nicely yours is doing.
    Molly

• chickadee_42us
    11 years ago

Great photos. I love the brugs, don't have any, but I love them.
    Isn't it a relief to see the color this year after the dryness of last year.
    Thanks for sharing.

• Ann_in_Houston
    11 years ago

Jim! I can't believe I just now noticed you are in Alvin. I'm in Pearland. Would love to come visit. I love your pictures. I will surely be eyeing everything you have success with, as we are so close. I bought one of those corkscrew plants and it didn't make it. It was much smaller, though, and I had it on the edge of my pond.

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks ladies, for your kind comments.

The brug shown above, Eternity, is in full bloom again! Thirty two days after that picture. It is amazing.

Ann- We would be happy to have you visit any time. Email me and I will send you directions. I don't know if you know, but Indu also lives in Pearland, west of 288.
    The 'Spiralis' is doing good with about 3 hours of sun. I keep it sitting in a big saucer of water because it is really a bog plant.

Jim