Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Carrie's Fabulous Calibrachoas Plus ...

Carrie sent photos of her intensly colored
Calibrachoas plus some other lovely things from
her garden. I've never grown Calibrachoas
except for a smaller paler colored pink variety.
I'm going to be giving them another look when I see them at the nurseries.

Enjoy ....

Thank you Carrie for brightening up what is a dark
rainy day across much of Texas. Not that we're complaining about the rain or anything ... :-)

Comments (14)

• bossjim1
    11 years ago

Wow! I've grown them, but not with that kind of results. Those are beautiful. Thanks, Carrie, and thank you Roselee for posting.
    Jim

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

Wow is right! Carrie....will you tell us how y ou do that?
    thank you cynthia

• Lynn Marie
    11 years ago

How can we replicate those results? That is one amazing hanging basket! Thanks for sharing!

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Thanks, everyone...............it just wouldn't be Spring without them and petunias. I made two more baskets this week to put at the gazebo.

• rcnaylor
    11 years ago

Gorgeous!

I'm still 10 days away from my last annual freeze date.

• melvalena
    11 years ago

I left a pot of 'em out all winter. (it looked nothing like Carrie's cuz I'm not as good of a pot mama as Carrie)

I knew they would die, being annuals.... but dang it if that little plant hung in there! ALL winter it was green! I kept telling it and myself it wasn't gonna last much longer... BUT IT DID!! Through the snow and ice and cold it hung on.

It is blooming now.

Shame on me!! I think it deserves to be treated better, don't you?

Maybe I'll turn out to be as good a calibrachoas mama as Carrie one day.

• jardineratx
    11 years ago

Well, Carrie, I was encouraged to try calibrachoas after seeing your gorgeous baskets.
    Oh, what is that plant with the blue flower spikes in the last photo?
    Molly

• carrie751
    11 years ago

That is Mexican bluebells, Molly...............given to me by a dear gardening friend. She knows blue in the garden is one of my favorites, so she is always finding new BLUE plants to bring me. I really like this one though the blooms are short lived.

• melvalena
    11 years ago

Carrie,
    Question about your hanging baskets:

How many plants are in each basket?

This is something I'm never sure about, just how many starter pots are put in such a basket to get that full, solid round booming shape?

Do you plant only in the top or do you also stick plants in through the sides?

Do you put anything between the soil and the coir?
    I've read in some places a suggestion to line the inside with some of the plastic bag that potting soil comes in, poking a few holes for drainage to keep the pot from drying out too fast and help hold the soil in.
    Do you do that?

• carrie751
    11 years ago

Actually this year, Gail, I came up with the idea of putting the plastic hanging basket inside the coconut liner so I did not have to water so much. And as to how many, depends on the size of the container of the plant purchased. If it is large enough, I put only one, but this particular one has three . I just made two more for the gazebo and I put only one in each of them...............they have not grown enough yet to see if that was enough, but the basket is pretty full, so I really think it will be. I put only one in a deep container (no basket) and it has filled out nicely...................so I am still experimenting. The containers of "mini;s" I had last year made it through the winter outside just fine and are blooming away.

• melvalena
    11 years ago

WOW.. one tiny little plant makes all those blooms?????

It must be your magic fingers!

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I must not have worded my post right as I thought I said the hanging basket has THREE plants.............one of each color.

• melvalena
    11 years ago

Ahh,.. as I re read your post I see that you did put 3 in that hanging basket... still, that's a lot of blooms!

• carrie751
    11 years ago

I agree, but they really like the cooler weather and I think this has made it bloom more. Anyway, whatever the reason, I am really enjoying it.