Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Things are coming along ...

Things are filling in nicely a couple of years after the removal of 50 roses with an eye toward an easier care more drought tolerant garden ...

Red yucca blooms emerge from within the tower ...

For those who got Manfreda macho mocha starts at the swap; it turns a nice color with cold weather and made it through the winter uncovered with only tip damage. White wine cups and black foot daisies surround. Blue lyme grass on the right ...

The large orange blooms coming from dyckias always amaze me. This nice specimen was left uncovered during winter and came through unscathed ...

Brilliant white mock orange is an answer to dog wood which doesn't always do well in my part of Texas. It has a long spring blooming period ...

Kathy, eat your heart out: my neighbor's large flowered Columbine on a table right next to our fence. I'll save us seeds ...

A pretty color columbine came up inside the 'art gallery' ...

A long spurred yellow hybrid. What is that you called them Kathy -- since they cross so easily?

Haven't decided what to do with all the tender succulents removed from greenhouse, except I know they are not going back in there next winter ...

What is this that apparently blew in? A cat toy? When I first spotted it I thought the dogs had caught some sort of little furry animal ...

Hope you like what's been done. Maybe next time I'll show the other side of the yard.

Comments (12)

• carrie751
    9 years ago

I have zone envy, Roselee, so many pretty things blooming already. The most color I have is from my Louisiana phlox and the house eating crossvine. The ajuga looked great until this last freeze. My fig trees may or may not survive being killed back three times this winter. Your garden is really beautiful, as always, and I am so glad you share it with the rest of us.

• plantmaven
    9 years ago

Some of you plants are lovely. hahahaha. I call the columbine Hussies. I think it was Sylvia on TXGW that called them that.

• msrose
    9 years ago

What is the vibrant blue? Some type of salvia? I wish I could grow columbine, but mine always die in the heat.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Carrie, it seems like color just popped up overnight. First everything was all dull and brown and then -- voila!

Kathy, agaves are called 'woody lilies'. Doesn't that help? I thought not ... lol

Msrose, the blue flowers are larkspur. Buy a six pack and you'll have them forever. They readily reseed and look good until the end of June when I pull them and shake the seeds around.

Also -- you can grow columbines if you start with the right ones. Texas Gold Columbine takes the heat. Then I brought home a little purple one, 'Little Winkie' which is also a heat lover. They mixed and produced some beauties, all taking the Texas heat in stride. If the foliage gets a little ratty in late summer I cut them back and new fresh pretty foliage emerges.

• southofsa
    9 years ago

Roselee- everything is looking great! I should have brought more of my succulents in- most of them bit the dust- even the ones that should have been able to take some cold. Lost my, what's it called? Ice dyksia? The purple one I bought in Austin. Will look for another one when I get a chance. I thought it was pretty neat looking even if it did tear up my hands anytime I got near it.

The manfredos were still potted and came through fine. And the squid agave didn't even get nipped.

Thanks for posting pictures- always great to see your garden. Lisa

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lisa, I was wondering about your 'Burgandy Ice' dyckia. Mine didn't make it either, although there were a few small pups under that survived, but it will be awhile before they are big enough to look like much. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one though -- it was that strikingly beautiful.

The very hardy dyckia pictured above was unnamed and I tried my best to separate it, but after much effort only got two off it; one tiny, and the other the squirrels ate the center out of it.

Love that squid agave and would dearly love to find the variegated variety for sale. If anyone sees it buy it for me and I'll pay you back.

Here is a link that might be useful: Agave bracteosa variegata

• bossjim1
    9 years ago

Wow! That's quite a transformation! The Blackfoot daisies seem to be really happy.
    Ok, show us the other side.

Jim

• PKponder TX Z7B
    9 years ago

I love the dyckia blooms, so vibrant next to the larkspur! What is that huge seed in the last picture, I wonder? Really odd looking!

Beautiful, beautiful! thanks for the pictures Roselee!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Jim, will post pictures of the other side when things develope a little more, including the much appreciated Yellow cestrum you passed along at the SAPS a couple of years ago.

Where has this plant been all my life? It makes such a beautiful hedge, stayed green all winter, started blooming in March, and never lets up all summer with little extra irrigation. My attempts at rooting it failed so I bought four more to plant all along the fence. Do you happen to remember the variety? It doesn't seem to set seed which is maybe one reason it blooms so prolifically.

Pam, thank you. Glad you enjoyed the photos. It's always my hope that maybe someone can take away some ideas.

The funny seed pod looking thing was ID'd by my next door neighbor as being part of a cat toy carried by the winds from her place to the center of my yard.

Here is a link that might be useful: Yellow cestrum ...

• bossjim1
    9 years ago

Roselee, if I remember correctly, that cestrum is "Orange Zest". It roots readily, for me, from softwood cuttings in the spring. I'm glad that you are enjoying it.

Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I thought it might be "orange zest". Thanks for the rooting info. I was trying it in late winter with hard wood, twigs actually, but not fresh.

• rcnaylor
    9 years ago

"Coming along fine"...I should say so!

Great work, as always, Roselee.