Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Laura's Garden -- Lots of Photos ...

After the Manchaca swap Patty and I followed Laura over to her place which was a couple of miles away to pick up some things Laura was saving for Patty. I had no idea what a treat that was in store for us and neither did Patty. Laura has a beautiful garden surrounding a wonderful old Victorian home painted in bright cheery colors with a wide wrap around porch and all. I regret that I didn't get a photo of it.

Most of you who take pictures understand that two o'clock in the afternoon on a glaring sun day does not provide the ideal conditions for photography, but I had to try and they will give you an idea of what a lovely place Laura's garden is and what fabulous garden art she has collected and/or designed and constructed to tastefully arrange in her large yard. She has many unusual plants that I did not get a picture of such as mature specimens of white pomgranate and peach cestrum.

The roses were just paste their spring flush, but a some still had flowers such as this red rose planted by the cute painted fence. Notice the old fashioned scalloped wire ...

Also these pink beauties. I think I overheard Laura telling Patty that beneath the stone was buried a beloved pet ...

What a beautiful memorial ...

The iron rose arch is almost covered in rose bushes. A little path leads under it ...

More of the wrought iron arch can be seen on the right ...

Since the roses were resting the garden art had a chance to shine. I loved this tower ...

Detail of the tower top ...

This garden view has yellow daisies, mock orange and blue salvias planted in a blue painted tub. I have a tub. I'm going to do that. The tower can be seen beyond them ...

A lovely scene. Notice the 'smoke tree' in the background ...

A colorful arrangement ... Laura made the mosaic chicken. I'm sorry that the glare keeps it from showing well ...

Laura also sculpted this wonderful lady's head planter ...

Laura named her garden after a favorite book from her childhood. Does anyone remember it? ...

She has both the left and right foot of these unique planters to further the theme of the "Hairy Toe Gardener" ...

An angel statue beside the path that leads past the tower to the rose arch ....

Laura has lots of beautiful pots and unusual planters. Here's her chimney flue planter ...

A whimsical bit of garden art ...

Who wouldn't enjoy hanging clothes on the line such as this complete with a chair to put your basket on ...

Details ...

Love this outdoor shower! If anyone wants to communicate while you are showering they can leave a note in the green mailbox :-)

An antique stone sink! Couldn't it tell some stories about the hands that used it through the years?

These intense blue wildflowers, 'blue curls' are growing in one of her beds. Does anybody grow them? Laura is going to save some seeds for me ...

There are so many other beautiful garden scenes and objects that didn't photograph well, but they will wait for next time. Thank you Laura for designing such a beautiful space that I'm looking forward to visiting again!

Next post will be about a nursery we visited with Laura.

Comments (9)

• castro_gardener
    11 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

And Ragna actually missed some things ! It was all lovely. I had a good time wandering around with Laura seeing the things she had made to decorate her space with. Many of her best items were curb shopping finds. I can't believe some of the things she found beside the road ! And I was the lucky recipient of some of those items as trades for plants I brought for Laura.

It was also neat to see the plants that I gave Laura many years ago at earlier swaps. The whimsy that Laura added in the many niches amongst the flowers perfectly complemented her 110-year-old Victorian home.

She was a lovely guide, showing us around her yard then taking us down the street to Sandy's small personal nursery. Ragna and I each bought plants, even though we just left a swap with a truck full !

I hope that I will be invited again to further explore Laura's garden ! Thank you, Laura !!

patty

• carrie751
    11 years ago

This is truly a beautiful garden............so peaceful and soothing. As many wonderful things as there were to see, the wrought iron white chair really caught my eye.

• rock_oak_deer
    11 years ago

Oh my, that's a beautiful garden with so many lovely pieces of garden art. What a delightful place to spend some time. The laundry yard is so sweet.

I'm going to have to make it up there for the next swap just to see this!

Thanks for sharing this Ragna.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

What a lovely garden! She has a lot of blue (my all time favorite color)...the tower, the tub of beautiful blue salvia and that last photo of blue curls made me think of a ballerina's skirt!

What kind of salvia is that?

Thanks for sharing!

• Redthistle
    11 years ago

Thanks for posting this, Ragna. You are so sweet. I saw photos of your garden, and it's absolutely beautiful! I know you can teach me some things about roses. Please let me know when Central Texas Gardener films it. Laura

• cynthianovak
    11 years ago

So Lush and BIg! I love it. Would Laura tell us how she did hte mosaic chicken? The tower and the planters as whimsical and great with the plants. Love the clothesline too. So much to see.

Thank you!
    c

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks everyone!

Pam, the salvia looked like Henry Duelberg to me. Perhaps Laura will ID it.

Cynthia, did you notice the mosaic hen is sitting on a pan painted to look like a straw nest? I just now noticed it. Maybe Laura will give us some hints on how she made the hen, like what kind of form she started with.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    11 years ago

I've been back a few times to look again :-) That stone sink is in really nice shape! What do you use it for Laura? It looks like a great clean up station for pots!

That little glass wind chime next to the clothes line is adorable!

• bossjim1
    11 years ago

What an interesting garden! Every picture makes me want to see more. Laura you have created a very nice, welcoming place.

Roselee, thanks for posting.

Jim