Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

SAPS (San Antonio Plant Swap) Photos April 2012

Hi everybody! Here are some pictures that were taken at the plant swap in San Antonio today. I'm not good at remembering names so I sure hope they're not messed up too badly. If they are just please correct them. Thanks!

Alma, Mario, and Paul checking out Patty's table ...

Gina, Meridith, Alma and Mario ...

The Rockport bunch: Betty, Barbra, and Albert. That was a long drive from Rockport and we sure appreciate you all coming and bringing sooo many wonderful plants! Of course, Barbra flits back and forth between Rockport and San Antonio all the time, but Betty and Albert have retired there ...

Mara, Paul and Shirley. Mara drove in from the Austin area and brought tons of wonderful drought tolerant stuff ...

Mara and Linda sit on the ground to sort things out. Linda drives in from the Hill Country ...

Linda, Mara, Roselee and Shirley ...

Linda's hair demonstrates the nice cool breezes we enjoyed today ...

Kathy and Annie. (We had two Annies) I think it was Kathy that started the plant swaps in San Antonio. Patty might have had a hand in that too ...

Pam, who brought some beautiful things that she makes such as jewelry and the gathering aprons. Here she is with Paul ...

Here's one of the gathering aprons. As well as large pockets it has a part that gathers up the bottom to put your garden produce in. Sorry I didn't get a picture of the beautiful beaded bracelets and other things she brought ...

Pam and hubby Paul (we had two Pauls) with Sheila and Patty ...

Linda, Ken, and Shirley. Ken brought the most beautiful tomato and pepper plants I've ever seen ...

A happy group! ...

"I'll take that one right there" Meridith and Shirley ...

Meridith ...

Sheila and Gina in serious contemplation of a certain plant ...

Rosie checking out the door prize table ...

Rosie, Annie, Sheila, and Gina looking over a great seed collection ...

Word came in that Rebecca and hubby came right after a few of us had left. They had a medical emergency this morning concerning a relative in Austin and had to rush up there, but were hoping to make it back in time to join us. So sorry some of us missed you and we trust everything of okay with your brother.

I hope I got pictures of everybody! It was a great day and my only regret is not getting better aquainted with some of the new folks who came. Y'all come back, ya' he-ah. We want to get to know you all better.

Oh, and we had some wonderful things to eat also. Thanks to all that brought food.

She who does not need any more plants loves ALL that she received today :-)

Comments (9)

• plantmaven
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Great pics!

I looked it up and our first swap was March 31, 2007.
    Texaskitty, Barbra Fox and myself decided to have a swap.
    Texaskitty was not able to participate. She purchased our first city permit. Which at that time was $20 or $25 for a small pavillion.

This was our 11th SWAP !!

I remember I told people to take what they wanted, as I did not want to take any plants home. No one took any until I started tossing them in a trash barrel. You should have seen their faces!

Patty was gracious and stayed after to help me sweep up.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kathy, thanks for giving us the history on the beginnings of the San Antonio swaps! It's been a good thing :-) Thank you!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

I wonder what ever happened to Txkitty, she worked at a bank close to Stone Oak, and lived on the South side. It was on Denver or Mt Vernon St. She did not come to the original swap, her father got sick, and she could not attend, but I don't ever remember her posting again. We never got to meet her. I sure hope she's ok. Barbra

• flowerlover78
    12 years ago

great fun! I enjoyed it. And if anyone has pam's email can you message me? Mara it was so good to put a face with a name, I have been reading alot on here from you. I am so thrilled about all my stuff, and if anyone wants to come out and scoop any more cow poop just let me know- you are welcome to do so.

• wantonamara Z8 CenTex
    12 years ago

The pictures do not lie. I did enjoy myself heartily. All you guys have gorgeous dirt that your plants come in!!!!!. My limestone/caliche gravel is put to shame. LOL. I got some really special plants, some great agaves. Linda, I would have driven to Medina for that milkweed and ansonia. Special indeed and such a perfect match for my environs.

I got home and almost stepped on a hog snake in my garden area that was tangled up in my tomato netting. scared the daylights out of me and my cat. The snake hissed and I had to cut him out before I started making a home for all my things. Still working on stuff. Looks like I am blowing off the C&S and LBJ wildflower sale. I got my plant fix. Thanks so much...

Rebecca did finally get there with her birdbaths and we had a after swap swap on the curbside for about 45 minutes or more. She did come home with plants even though she missed the crowd.She got loads of natives loaded on her for her new place. Rebecca, you gets a raincheck next fall for the "IT" cactus.. She and her husband are great people! I love my birdbath. I am tempted to drill a hole and make it into a troth out of it but I am going to wait and let the the birds swim around..

I missed out on the cow poop. I WANT,... always next time.

• castro_gardener
    12 years ago

Before Kathy's efforts took hold for good, we actually had two other swaps in San Antonio, but for some reason they just didn't take off on a regular basis. After many years of driving to Austin (where it all started), San Marcos, and Buda, I really wanted a swap closer to home. I'm SO glad that Kathy kept pushing !

Kathy...remember that you and I swapped at Antique Rose Emporium before that ! We go back a-ways !

It was a wonderful swap ! Lovely to see all the familiar faces, and meet the newbies. Thanks to everyone for coming !

patty

• flowerlover78
    12 years ago

Mara- I will make sure to bring some for you if you come back down in October. I will try to get a head start on that one and bring more bags- lol was shocked how well it went over, I heard that rebecca made it and talked to her aside on email, we are going to get together later today and I am so thrilled. till next time....

oh and to the ones I told about the dwarf bananas and agaves that my friend needs help moving - just email me and I will give you her contact info. She is in stone oak area,

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

Patty, I do remember that. Now I have had the amaryllis long enough to be able to share with several people.
    k

• nbtonya
    12 years ago

Hi everyone! I received my goodies that Shirley transported for me yesterday. Thanks so much! Look forward to seeing you all in the fall!

Tonya