Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

S'more roses and a little garden art ...

Y'all said I could post more pictures :-) so here we go.

New for me this year is Mother of Pearl. It's said to be very disease resistant and a prolific bloomer. Both parents are Buck roses ...

Molinex is a favorite Austin yellow which is sometimes almost orange ...

Beauty and beast, Prairie Harvest with big iron bird ...

A very reliable short climbing red, Don Juan. Sometimes you get a nice fragrance ...

Jude the Obscure is a favorite with its big cupped blooms with their scent of grapefruit ...

Abraham Darby on natural wood trellis that Bob built ...

How do you like it painted? I'm going to play around with the color to make it a bit deeper ...

The bird house was purchased from a neighbor who made it. She made most of my other rustic birdhouses also ...

She made these pedestals and painted them these nice pastel colors which goes very well with the conch shells that I got at a thrift store in Lakehills. Shirley Rock-Oak-Deer blogged about the store ...

The deck next to the store room is a work in progress. It's gets oven-like with afternoon sun so I thought it would be a good place for cacti and rusty stuff. The two bougies I have there love the heat and the cacti will be able to take it too ...

That's it for now. If you gotten this far -- thanks for looking!

Here is a link that might be useful: Shirley's blog about Lakehills thrift stores ...

Comments (13)

• Vulture61
    12 years ago

Very pretty.My favorites from this group are Mother of Pearl and Abraham Darby. Now, how many different types of roses do you have, Roselee?

Omar

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hi Omar! While it's good to count your blessings it's probably best not to count your roses ... LOL ;-)

There are some things you just don't want to know -- like how much moola one spends on gardening.

• carrie751
    12 years ago

It would probably boggle our minds, Roselee, but look at all the joy we get from it. These shots are gorgeous. Hasn't it been a wonderful Spring? I sometimes find it hard to get my chores done as I am so busy taking in all the beauty.

• bossjim1
    12 years ago

Beautiful roses Roselee! Abraham Darby and Molinex were both out of stock when I ordered roses from ARE this spring.
    Jim

• Vulture61
    12 years ago

Ok. I get it, Roselee.

Omar

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You're right Carrie - such enjoyment is worth the cost. And yes, this has been the best spring ever!

Jim, check with coolroses.com to see if they have Abraham Darby on Fortuniana roots. I try to get as many roses as I can on those roots as they do extremely well in the south. The roots spread farther and are better suited to pick up more nutrients and moisture. Most of the exhibitors in the San Antonio Rose Society grow their roses on Fortunia roots.

I just finished planting a succulent collection in pots. I hope the pictures I just took show it well. Stay tuned :-)

• plantmaven
    12 years ago

My roses don't look that good. The thrips have taken roost here.

• ibheri
    12 years ago

Wow, I love it painted. What a transformation and it looks great with the Abe in the foreground. What is the rose next to the birdhouse? Is it Maggie ?
    The conch shells and pedestals look great.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Kathy, when thrips move in they do mess up the pristine beauty of roses, but I think it'll get better if we don't try to use insecticides (which don't help much anyway) and give the beneficial insects time to eat 'um up.

Indu, thanks! The roses by the rustic bird house are Valentines, which along with the Knockouts, are among the most prolific blooming varieties that I grow.

Incidentally, Valentine will grow as a short climber if they have something to lean on. My neighbor Georgianne has one planted against the trunk of a tree and it's gorgeous. I need to get a picture of her's sometime. It's nice that Valentines are nearly thornless as opposed to Knockout's thorny canes.

• ibheri
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info Roselee, I got a few cuttings of Valentine, Maggie, Cramosi Superior and Lafter that I set to root last winter. Maggie survived, I have a couple others comining but somehow I didn't label them correctly. Now I don't know which one is which. I am waiting for them to bloom so I can post a picture to identify.
    The trellis near the conch shells, what kind of lumber do you use to build? It looks rustic and very nice. Also, I notice the shape is slightly rounded.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Indu, I've had to do the same thing with some of my rose cuttings -- wait until they bloom to ID them. Try to get pictures of the foliage also when you post pictures for identification.

My neighbor built a lot of things out of old cedar fences so I'm guessing that's what she used. (By the way, she made the garden bench in my succulent post photo.) The boards have a rough finish. The pilar is square and only looks round in the photo. I'm going to wire the bottoms to stepping stones to keep them off the ground and to stabilize them. They are sitting rather precariously on the ground right now.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Oh, I just figured out you did mean trellis BY the conch shells. Bob built that out of treated landscape timbers. They come rounded like that.

• ibheri
    12 years ago

Yes, I meant by the conch shells but good to know about both. Thanks.