Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Planted lady pot and lace cactus blooming ...

My good garden buddy, Patty, and I have been wanting a face pot forever. Everytime we'd see one online we'd send pictures to each other. Finally Patty found us each one at Tuesday Morning and surprise! I received it for Christmas ... :-)

Here she is freshly planted ....

I stuffed it with succulents. The pot being deep has room for the roots. Succulents don't need much room for roots anyway. Bob thinks she needs a necklace. Whadaya' think? I'm thinking I might set her in a shallow, wide pot and surround her frilly succulets like a dress.

It would be hard to miss the lace cactus, Echinocereus reichenbachii, blooming today. Phoenix Joey passed it along to me years ago and it's been in a pot all this time. It always bloomed, but it really took off in the bloom department when planted in a large raised bed type planter. It's perfectly hardy with no protection. ...

Another spring project toward ease of care was to remove the blue plumbago in the front brick planter and design an area to hold a couple of pots. Today I planted the agave in the urn that was antiqued to match it.

I think this Agave americana 'medio-picta Alba' is the prettiest agave ever. Lisa passed a baby along and it was perfectly hardy last winter with no protection whatever. ...

Different color mulches (broken bags $1.00 each at Lowes :-) was applied for contrast.

I'll plant something special in the white pot when I figure out what that might be. Any suggestions?

Edit: For now I planted my new variegated paddle plant in the white pot.
http://www.smgrowers.com/products/plants/plantdisplay.asp?plant_id=3541

The bougainfillea, larkspurs and Rosa Julia Child are putting on a pretty good show so I added their photo.

Here is a link that might be useful: Agave americana 'medio-picta Alba' ...

This post was edited by roselee on Sun, Apr 27, 14 at 22:45

Comments (28)

• plantmaven
    9 years ago

For years I had String of pearls (Senecio rowleyanus) You could grow that and give her a multi strand pearl necklace.
    My great aunt took a start back to PA from her brother, Frank, in the valley. Years later, after Frank passed away, Auntie gave my mother a start from the same plant. Mother gave me part of her plant. I put mine on the porch rail in Timberwood and a deer yanked it out of the pot and ate it.

Here is a link that might be useful: string of pearls

• bossjim1
    9 years ago

Well, I'm glad you finally got a pothead, or head pot. Looks like a very proper lady with feathers in her hat.

The Lace cactus is really pretty!

Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Kathy, that a brilliant idea. I'm going to look for them!

Jim, I bet somebody has planted cannabis in a head pot, just like people plant 'hen and chicks' in a chicken shaped pot. But it's not going to be me! Which brings up the subject of how you happened to allude to that ... LOL (Just kidding.)

Makes me think of how my blood ran cold when a cop answered an alarm call next door and as we talked over the fence he wanted to come over and see the fantail pigeons I had at the time. While touring the yard he pointed to a plant and said "That looks like marijuana!!!" My mind went blank and for the life of me I could not think of the name of the plant. It was cleome.

Thank you for looking and giving me a smile by commenting ... :-)

I added a picture to the original post.

• bossjim1
    9 years ago

Ha! Ha! Roselee! If the policeman had smelled the Cleome foliage, he would have realized his mistake right away.

I did notice your new picture, and it is beautiful! I think I see roses.

Jim

• plantmaven
    9 years ago

Do you need a hand?

• Vulture61
    9 years ago

Interesting but creepy,Kathy.

Omar

• lesli8
    9 years ago

Roselee, I have string of pearls, I can bring you a start when we meat at Aunt Minnie's. I love it. Also string of hearts. Gave a lot of starts away at the schwappe in Westhoff last weekend.

Lesli

• plantmaven
    9 years ago

Roselee, If you get a start of string of hearts I would love some. Or if you see a plant to buy, would you get it for me. I had that a long time ago. I think it would be something I can put in my kitchen window.
    This staying inside is really getting to me. I need to do some house plants.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Jim. Yes, there are three roses in the last photo, Julia Child, white La Bische, and pink Rainbow Knockout on the right. I have a couple of others left too. Gotta' have a few for the scent.

Kathy, I'd be happy to 'shop lift' a string of pearls from Lesli!

The hands holding succulents are pretty clever, if a little creepy as Omar says. But I'm 'creepy' enough to use them ... lol. I have concrete mix and rubber gloves so why not? I wonder how they carved out the finger nails?

• plantmaven
    9 years ago

Roselee, string of hearts is what I want. Or both.

• Vulture61
    9 years ago

I can't help it. My sister used to take human parts home to disect and study them when she was studying to be a doctor. Sometimes she even boiled them to get rid of the tissue and get clean bones. It also reminds me that character from "The Addams family","Thing".

Omar

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Omar, it's no wonder it looks particularly creepy to you! LOL

• Vulture61
    9 years ago

Yeap, Roselee. "Preserved" human tissues also have that brownish-green color.

Omar

• sunnysa
    9 years ago

Love your face pot with the succulents. How tall is she? We always enjoy seeing pics of your garden. Wonder if Lowes still has the broken mulch bags.... I'll have to check it out. Thanks.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Irene! Just went out and measured and the lady is 18 in. tall. Lowes has broken bags off and on. Whoever gets there first snags them. (What time are you going ... ;-)

Omar, oddly enough the hand thing doesn't gross me out ... LOL. I was a year away from getting an R.N. degree when Bob persuaded me he was a better deal.

• castro_gardener
    9 years ago

Ragna, are you gonna post the nursery pictures ?

Kathy, I have string of hearts, aka rosary vine if you want some...remind me next time I come over.

Omar...sure missed you at the swap last weekend !

Patty

• Vulture61
    9 years ago

Hey, Patty. Yeah, I'm still tied up with the end of the semester at Texas State.

Omar

• castro_gardener
    9 years ago

Omar, you went back to school ? Good for you ! Are you still teaching, too ?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Patty, I'm working on editing the pictures taken at our nursery hops after the Manchaca swap and will post them soon.

Went to Minnie Albert's nursery outside of La Vernia today and took a few there, too. She's in the process of closing her nursery, but still has a LOT of plants.

• Vulture61
    9 years ago

Patty
    Yes, Ma'am. I went back to school and I'm still teaching. It's challenging but I'm still alive. I'll graduate next year so I should be able to swap in the fall of 2015. :D

Omar

• castro_gardener
    9 years ago

Omar, that seems so far away, but it will be here before we know it! Will be good to see you again. Study hard!!

Ragna, I can't get email right now, so if you've sent me anything I can't get it.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

This week a friend gave me a columnar cactus and another friend gave me a repurposed light fixture turned upside down to use as a pot. They both add so much to the zeric front bed I thought I'd sneak a photo in here for the few that might still look at this old post.

The light fixture was found dumped during an office remodeling project. Isn't it gorgeous? I planted it with a Green globlet agave and topped it with red lava rock to pick up the green and red color. When the cactus plumps up and grows it will be in better balance with the pot.

• carrie751
    9 years ago

Even though I don't care much for succulents, Ragna, that is gorgeous.

• dcarpenter
    9 years ago

Beautiful pot!

Darlene

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Thank you Carrie and Darlene! My friend said that when she rescued the 'pot', or rather the light fixture part, there were smaller matching 'pots' but all were broken except this one; probably broken when thrown into the trash. Oh well, at least this one is preserved. It's amazing what people throw away so keep your eyes open ... :-)

• melvalena
    9 years ago

I kept looking for the light fixture!!! Couldn't find it. Then suddenly I realized it was right there in the center of the photo.. it looks like a really cool pot!

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    9 years ago

... Smiling. The light fixture/pot has tiny holes from which light would shine. They are barely visible in the photo. It also has a larger hole in the bottom, which was the top of the light fixture, for the cord. This makes for a well drained pot for agaves and such.

• southofsa
    9 years ago

Roselee- that makes a great pot! Some people just have the eye :-)

Lisa