Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

SAS and Company greenhouse we visited in Austin

As mentioned in the post about the Manchaca swap this is the greenhouse we visited with Laura after touring her garden ....

It's owned by Sandra seen on the left talking to Laura. Sandra and her son owned a nursery and Sandra grew many of the plants they sold there. The nursery closed and Sandra still sells plants out of her greenhouse and with the lower overhead the plants are MUCH less expensive ...

Another look around the greenhouse. Succulents are the specialty here, but there are other things too ...

She also has more plants outside. Sandra, Laura, and Patty ...

Just to give you an idea I bought a baby whale tongue agave for $2.00 and this little NOID agave that I call 'Star Burst' for $4.00. I'm kicking myself because I didn't buy some of the other things I saw because she had a great selection and was very knowledable about her plants, but by this time I was just so tired I wasn't thinking.

Does anyone know what the 'Star Burst' agave is? Sandra didn't know because it had came in with a succulent collection when they had the retail store and it wasn't named ...

If you want to check out SAS and Company in South Austin call Sandra at 512 419-8939 and find out what her hours are. She has some BEAUTIFUL plants!

Comments (10)

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    11 years ago

That "Star burst" agave is amazing! Do you think it's a variation of Agave utahensis? It's just a guess on my part from googling images of agave...

I bet the members of the Xeric forum could help you ID it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Some Agave Utahensis pics on xeric forum

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the suggestion. I wondered if Mara might know. I'll try to xeric forum if somebody doesn't come up with a name so I can find out the characterics of this agave such as size, cold tolerance, etc..

When I first saw it I wondered if I might have happened upon the recently discovered Agave albopilosa that's pictured at the end of the link below. But on looking again I see that Agave albopilosa has different filiments growing from the tips.

If you like agaves or plant adventures in general you'll love looking at the many photos on the link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Mexican agaves ...

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Oh one more thing that's somewhat related to Sandra's greenhouse. I mentioned we took a wrong driveway when going to Laura's house and saw some Basenjis in the yard. Since I had raised Basenjis years ago I had to get out the look. The home owners were happy to tell us about them and also when we mentioned seeing a "Plant Sale" sign they told us they had just returned from SAS with a truck load of plants with which they were landscaping their front yard.

For those interested in dogs here's a couple of pictures of the Basenjis ...

Charlotte has owned Basenjis also :-)

• plantmaven
    11 years ago

They bought plants at San Antonia Shoe factory? ;)

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Kathy, the SAS made me think of San Antonio Shoes, too :-) It probably stands for Sandra and Son.

• minime8484
    11 years ago

Didn't see this post until now, but your "Star Burst Agave" is actually not an Agave at all!
    It's actually a species of Cactus usually called the Agave Cactus - Leuchtenbergia princeps.

Nice find!

Cheers,
    Tristan

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks Tristan! It's a most unusual cactus -- that's for sure. It always amazes me how it seems plants evolve to outsmart things that eat them. From the site linked below:

"The long papery spines resemble to old blades of grass and help the plant in nature to camouflage in the desert grassland making them remarkably hard to spot."

I've since seen one other plant. It had a place of honor at one of the garden tours last summer.

I just hope I can keep my 'star burst cactus' going. I'll never remember the name so will just call it that. However, I will make a note of its real name.

Here is a link that might be useful: Interesting info on Leuchtenbergia principis.

• denisew
    11 years ago

I haven't been on this forum for quite awhile and I sure do wish I lived closer to Austin. I would love to visit that greenhouse. Roselee, your agave reminds me of fireworks - the kind that explode, then the little bits explode again into smaller flashes.

• marcie_new
    11 years ago

Oh I am calling that number!! I get to go to Austin every so often and with tomorrow being my B-Day I get to do whatever!! Honey bun commited to help out his brother so I have the entire day to myself, I do have few chores to do around the house but by noon I should be done so lets see what happens

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Marcy, please let us know if you get in touch with her and find out if the nursery is still in operation. My last attempts at communication some months ago were not answered.