Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
roselee_gw

Rockport Gardens: Billie's Garden

No pictures can do any garden justice because often it's the spirit and intent of the gardener that most defines its appeal. A simple little swept yard in the deep south with a few flowers lovingly cared for (I'm thinking of a photo in one of ARE's Mike Shoup rose books) can be more moving than anything a landscape designer did for big bucks.

This is the truth I found in Billie's garden. The minute I stepped into it I was taken over by the fairytale magic there.

As was the case with many of our gardens the effects of last winter's prolonged low temperatures could still be seen, but in the absence of plants the story book bones of the garden as well as the garden art items were more evident.

Barbra remarked that previously when visiting Billie's garden she hadn't noticed many of the re-purposed items Billie has arranged because of the lush foliage and plush blooms everywhere.

Incidentally, I love the term 'repurposed'. It can be applied to lives as well as things :-)

We arrived unannounced and found Billie and her hubby busily working in the yard. A welcoming 'make yourself at home and look around' attitude was extended.

Billie is a spry and sparkling 89 years old, and began this garden 17 years ago at 72.

I guess you could say this garden, at this moment anyway, is not about flowers and plants. It's more about the unique imagination and expression of the gardener in how she has laid out the garden and how she uses garden art. We spent two hours in Billie's garden and it seemed like 20 minutes.

This sign expresses the theme of Billie's garden ...

Upon entering the garden we find the first of the many beds bordered by stones Billie and her hubby brought from their ranch in the Texas Hill Country. Pink crinums are blooming ...

One of two bottle trees. Remants of a vine could be seen on the decorative wrought iron ...

There are several garden arches and brick paths throughout ...

Lots of resting places are scattered throughout the garden. This is Billie's hubby. Sorry, I didn't get his name ...

A Texas style invitation to 'stop and smell the roses'. And they were there to be sniffed ...

Surveying the stone bordered beds and walks ...

A large blue vase is near this area ...

One of several meandering paths makes you wonder what treasures are around the bend ...

Here is one treasure, broken but still beautiful. Why not dispay it?

Another path leads to this secluded corner hinting at its before freeze glory ...

Ah, a hidden potting shed ...

Pots of plants are being nursed back to health for future planting ...

Has Venus taken a tumble? No, Billie laid her down so the large branch she used the chain saw on wouldn't knock her down ...

After meandering for quite some time we come to the home Billie and her hubby built on their water front property ...

More garden art treasures are in this area. The light fixture was rescued from a school being torn down ...

The turqoise vase is nicely displayed ...

Here we find several pieces of element sculpture. The windmill was brought into the area for repair ...

These are beautifully weathered fence posts surrounded by those pretty rocks we all seem to like collecting (and then don't know what to do with) along with colorful glass insulators ...

A deer with an attitude ...

Next to the back patio a white ceramic fish leaps from it's pond to see the bay ...

And this is Billie. When I grow up as a gardener I want to be just like her ...

I hope you enjoyed this glimpse of Billie's yard. Thanks Barbra for knowing Billie! I have a few more pictures, but this is enough for now.

Next I'll post pictures taken when Barbra took me to see the Corpus Christi Botanical Gardens.

Comments (17)

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

It's beautiful, the love and care shines through. The repurposed items look great there and I love that they brought rocks from their ranch. They still do their own gardening too. I hope that was an electric chainsaw Billie used.

Lots of good ideas here. Those lattice panels on the fence look familiar don't they? That deer would be perfect in my yard, now I'm going to have to stop at every pottery place until I find it!

Great tour, thanks for showing.

• caroleena
    12 years ago

its like a walk through the past. i see so much of my granny's yard and those we just drove past back in the 50's in west georgia. the older one gets the more spiritual a growing garden becomes.

• laurastheme
    12 years ago

How wonderful!! I'm 75 and I'm tired after planting a shrub or 2. One thing I like about it is the fact that it's not just picture perfect neat. I get discouraged sometimes with the fir needles and leaves in our yard. In hers it looks good.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Shirley, I don't know if the chain saw was electric or not! However, she was also in the process of unloading fill out of the back of a pick up to shore up the edge of water front. Yes, I noticed the familiarity of the lattice panels, too. Great minds and all that, huh? ;-)

Carol, that's so true. I don't know which comes first, gardening or an appreciation of the spiritual qualities in gardening, but they seem to merge somewhere along the line. Sometimes I think we are trying to recreate something vaugely remembered from another place and time.

Laura, I liked that aura of not having to have everything so perfect also. Gardens are for enjoyment and you never get finished. That's part of the fun. Also I thought about how one of my favorite garden quotes applied to Billie's garden.

"Grace without perfection is more to be desired than perfection without grace."

Thank you all for your comments :-) I don't know if Billie is on line and will get to see them or not. Maybe Barbra could print it out for her.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I love how Billie uses lime green accents, like this fern pot. However, the fern looks a lot like some of my things did after the last hard winter, but it's finding a way to live ...

Keep in mind that before the hard freezes she had lush tropical plants and flowers, and her yard was on the garden tour circuit. Barbra can testify to its former look and it will grow that way again, but it may take some time. Billie is still in the process of cutting things back and cleaning it up.

More lime green accents ...

The plant in the pot looks like it will return. I wonder what the cut green glass piece was originally ...

I love this water bird ...

And this wonderful weathered wood. The beautiful vase on the left echos its twists and turns as if they were dancing partners ...

I couldn't resist posting a few more pictures. Maybe someone will get some ideas they can use from them.

• carolann_z8
    12 years ago

Her yard is full of interest and a little whimsical. The green glass object on the tree stump is such a cute idea. I notice she has a bed of the variegated cast iron plant. I saw it for the first time last year at Blue Moon's Garden and wondered how it did. It may not do as well in our zone but hers is doing great.
    What an achievement for someone her age.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

Carolann, she has the variegated cast iron plant everywhere in her yard. She has at least an acre of shade gardens. She is right on Copano Bay, two houses down from Linda's. I met her at the hidden garden tour. Her house was on it, she mentioned that she had never been on the tour. I offered to take her with me to see a couple of the houses close to her. Linda insisted that she go, and took over. We saw some of the most beautiful yards, words cannot describle. The next year we went on the hidden garden tour, that was in Rockport, Portland and Corpus Christi, complements of Linda. I drove, and we had a blast! She runs circles around me. Her yard is just beautiful, and almost everything in it has a story. Barbra

• pjtexgirl
    12 years ago

I want to be like her when I grow up too, God willing, of course. That is just beautiful and serene. The most interesting gardens are hodge podge "controlled abandon" gardens. I wonder if you looked down from the sky if it would look like a quilt of someone's life with plants as a foil. A colorful tile here, a lamp there, a bunch of bright pots there.... all tucked into a bright green background.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    12 years ago

I need to add that Billie's garden is usually full of colorful shade plants. Her yard in the summer will be covered with blue pea vines, and variegated hawaiian hibiscus. She has unusual plants, many I do not even know the names of. Barbra

• ltcollins1949
    12 years ago

Billie's garden is a "garden in motion" constantly changing. She and her hubby Truitt are always outside working in their yard. The amazing thing is that their yard, right at an acre, is divided into garden rooms with each having a different theme! If you ever get the chance, check out her garden. Nothing here in Rockport even compares!

• carolann_z8
    12 years ago

Barbra, it was nice of you and Linda to take her on the garden tour. It sounds like you ended up making an interesting and nice friend.

• princealbert
    12 years ago

The green light globe in picture #4 (a few more) is from a swag lamp. I had one just like it in a trailer that I owned about 40 years ago.
    pa

• Lin barkingdogwoods
    12 years ago

Hi CarolAnn - just wanted to mention that I have grown variegated cast iron plant in the DFW area (Euless) for 10-15 years and now east Texas (Wood County) for the past five years, and it does just as well as the solid green. The ones with a lot of white in them tend to grow more slowly, but they do grow. The last two winters didn't seem to bother them any more than they bothered the green.

HTH - Lin

• carolann_z8
    12 years ago

I wondered how they did here. I may have to try some. My yard is starting to fill up pretty fast but there's always room for more. lol

• ogrose_tx
    12 years ago

Neat, neat, absolutely love this! And Roselee, I know exactly which picture you are referring to.

• pippi21
    12 years ago

Thanks for sharing all these pictures with us. If Billie and her hubby have done all that collecting of garden junk and making all those paths, etc. themselves..that's a lot of work. They have a few things I'd like to have..saw a bench that we could use in our neighborhood to sit on. Would just need a lot of sanding and painting or staining. I saw some other items that I could use to elevate my container plantings. Maybe I should go "junking" somewhere. In one of the little towns we pass through enroute to Hershey/Lancaster, Pa. area, there is this house trailer and a small building and the yard is full of junk. Looks like everybody drops their junk off there and he probably sells it. I've always wanted to stop there. Maybe someday I will after seeing Billie's garden.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I enjoyed looking at these pictures again myself. It's my understanding Billie and her hubby did all the work themselves. Her acre is an inspiration for sure.

"Junking" for items that can be repurposed is great fun. Pippi, you should definitely stop at the junk yard you've been driving by and let us know what you find. Take pictures!

Yesterday Patty and I visited my neighbor Georgianne's garden and with less foliage due to the drought I noticed lots more great repurposed items than I had before. Georgianne is a pro at finding 'stuff' to use to decorate her yard. And like Billie's yard every thing in it has a story.

For instance someone put two large concrete pillars out on a curb to give away and all by herself Georgianne wrestled them one by one into the back seat of her long white Cadillac and used stacked up sofa pillows to roll them out. She then 'walked' them to where they were to go in her yard. I need to take some pictures of some of her stuff to show y'all.