Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sunnysa_gw

The Way We Were???

sunnysa
10 years ago

So we're out at a small town nursery when I smell this heavenly scent. I was seduced! Of course, I had to have it. The lady at the check out said it was a Gardenia. Please tell me it isn't so! I read the 'Suicide Gardenia" post here on line and it refers to terms like "Human Bondage, Plant from Hell, and Voodoo dances with chicken.'' (I have never laughed so hard.... but I'm serious about wanting this plant to live!)

Please, does anyone have any other suggestions other than doing a voodoo dance and waving a chicken over it? This pic was taken yesterday (first day of planting) so I can remember "The way we were!"

Comments (12)

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

I have never heard those things about gardenias. I lived in the same neighborhood in NE SA from 1979 to 1997.

There was an August beauty gardenia down the street that I coveted. Finally I got several cuttings from it. It was still growing there when I moved away.
    I have shared cutting grown plants with several people.
    They are acid lovers so use some garden sulfur on them.

""Gardenias look their best and are their healthiest when grown in acidic soil. Sulfur is one of the most common soil amendments used to create acidic soil conditions, and helps feed the gardenias by making soil minerals, such as iron, more readily available for the shrub's roots. If you notice gardenia leaves turning yellow, it is often linked to mineral deficiencies related to soil acidity. Amend the soil with sulfur to correct this problem. Just outside of your gardenia shrub's drip line, dig a 12-inch-deep hole, pour 3 tablespoons of agricultural-grade sulfur into the hole, and repeat this process every spring.""

• sunnysa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks so much for the tip. As funny as the Gardenia thread was, I don't think I read about sulfur anywhere. All I saw mentioned was coffee grinds.... maybe I was just seeing the humor in that post, lol. The lady at the store did mention to prepare the soil with peat moss and I've already done that before putting in the plant.

I was just about to cover the grass around my gardenia with mulch and yard fabric. Your reply was timely. I'll make a run to the get the sulfur before I lay down the mulch. Thanks.

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

Do not put down fabric. It does no keep weeds out and is he** to get out. Cut cardboard and cover that with a lot of mulch. I did my whole front yard that way except for a circular grass path.
    Kathy

• rcnaylor
    10 years ago

Love gardenias.

• sunnysa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Richard, I'm loving gardenias too. It's funny that I spent my entire life working a 9 to 5 and didn't realize how much I loved gardenias until I retired. Even then, if we had not gone to the small nursery, I don't think I would have ever given them a second thought. They were so fragrant!

Kathy, I'm out to get some cardboard now. Thanks.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

I practically swoon when I smell a gardenia, but have never been able to keep them going. However, I've seen them growing in some seemingly difficul spots like in the 'hell strip' in my neighborhood, but under the shade of oak trees..

I'm tempted to try one again ... sigh.

• sunnysa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Roselee, This is my first time trying one. Unfortunately, I lost the tag that came with plant so I don't know what variety it is. Somewhere between planting and the next morning, the tag got lost... or thrown out. After spending hours on websites, I decided just to stop worrying about it and hope for the best. I sure hope it does well. My husband says if I decide to do a voodoo dance, to let him know so he can leave the house first. He would not want the neighbors to think he had any part in it, lol.

This post was edited by sunnysa on Sat, May 18, 13 at 20:23

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

That reminds me of the picture of Janie's husband doing the almost naked turtle dance for rain. I'll see If I can find it on here.

• plantmaven
    10 years ago

I guess I spelled that wrong. Here is Janie's DH doing the nekked Turtle Dance.
    In the past some on here said that would make it rain.
    Hahaha

• sunnysa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Oh my...... That is sooooo funny! I wonder if he would come to my backyard?

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    10 years ago

It doesn't work like that. You have to do it for your own yard.

Don't ask me how I know ;-)

• sunnysa
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Big grin.... :-)