15 years ago

Here's some pictures I took this week.

Jim

{{gwi:679638}}

Comments (33)

• sam_mocotx
    15 years ago

Jim,

You have some very exotic plants. I love your bleeding heart vine. I have added that to my must have list!

Sam

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sam, here's a better look at the Bleeding Heart vine.
    Jim

• rcnaylor
    15 years ago

Jim, to paraphrase a recent post, when I see all the plants you can grow down there, and so beautifully, it _almost_ makes me want to take on the heat, humidity and masses and join you. ;)

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

"Come on down" Richard. We can get away from the masses, but I'm afraid there's no dodging the heat and humidity.
    Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

Wow! Talk about color! You got it and I love it.

I have Rangoon creeper (third from the top I think) but it has never bloomed. Is yours in full sun? Mine isn't and that may be the reason, but I keep hoping. I dug it up once and gave it away, but it came back from the roots so letting it stay this time.

I've always loved your bleeding heart vine. For years I heard about a pink version, but that it was hard to find. A nursery here, Rainbow Gardens, has it this year.

I think what your yard needs is more plants ;-) So here you go:

Here is a link that might be useful: Pink bleeding heart ...

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Roselee, the Rangoon creeper, planted last spring, only gets morning sun. I planted another one at the same time, in full sun, but it didn't bloom last year. It is finally making buds this year.

I already have the pink Bleeding Heart, it's just not very big yet. I planted it in full sun hoping that it will bloom all year. The white one, planted in shade, only blooms till the pecan tree leafs out.
    Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

Wow ... that Rangoon creeper is gorgeous. What do you feed it?

Glad to hear you've got the pink bleeding heart. Will look forward to seeing pictures of it also.

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

The name of the fertilizer is Nelson's Tropical Splendor Hibiscus Food.
    Jim

• rcnaylor
    15 years ago

This seems like an appropriate spot to mention a problem I have. I used to read about and see pics of plants that folks were raving about on the Texas gardening forum. I'd excitedly google it to learn more... only to generally find it needs warmer winters, or acidic soils or moisture or humidity, yadda yadda then we have here.

That is kind of why I don't post on the main Texas forum as much as I used to, according to the plants - I'm in the wrong state. Ha! :(

You guys always get me going ewh and ahh, and then remind me I can't have any of the pudding. Ha ha.

The good news is there are a few that are the other way around like spring bulbs, etc.

• sam_mocotx
    15 years ago

It is absolutely stunning. I must have one.

Sam

• mikeandbarb
    15 years ago

Jim, I'm packing my bag's and will be there tomorrow, OK? First I might ask how much is rent to see if I can afford it? LOL
    I just love seeing your pix so pretty.

• carrie751
    15 years ago

And it just makes me envious to see your Brazilian plume plant "in the ground". Mine is blooming, but I have to haul it in and out each winter. One of these days, I am taking a road trip to view personally your beautiful, beautiful garden. Thanks, as always, for sharing.

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    15 years ago

I have a thunbergia battiscombei (blue clock vine) which I am tying to a trellis is order to use it as vertical interest. Your stunning picture has me considering other options.

Approximately how tall is your plant? In the background of the picture it looks like the gable of a house which makes me think TALL. Also, it looks like your plant is growing on/in an obelisk? Do you have to tie it up in this structure or does it lean and grow on its own?

Thanks for posting such inspiring pictures. - June

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Barb and Carrie---'Come on Down'. Carrie if you want to bring your RV, I got hook ups, we'll go see some REAL gardens!

June- the clock vine is about 8 ft. tall. The obelisk it's on IS 8 ft. I don't tie it, I just take the long runners and stick them between the slats on the obelisk. If I can fold the leaves to stick them through, when they open back up, that's enough to hold it up. After planting the vine, I sat the obelisk over it, so it has to grow through. Hope this helps.
    Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

While looking for something else I can across the pictures of the pink bleeding heart that were taken last year at the Spanish Governor's Palace in downtown San Antonio. The building and streets hold the heat making it a zone warmer than the outlying areas.

Last year, not being sure my white bleeding heart would make it through the winter, I dug it up, put it in a pot and sat it in the green house. I replanted it and it's blooming now, but will never get as big as your beautiful specimen Jim.

I didn't want to grow anything else that had to be brought in for the winter, but the pink one may change my mind.

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Roselee, the pink Bleeding Heart(Clerodendrum x speciosum) is actually a cross between the white Bleeding Heart(Clerodendrum thomsoniae) and the Flaming Glory Bower(Clerodendrum splendens). The Flaming Glory Bower is the one that I'm wanting now. I can order in on line, but would rather find it locally.

The brackets on the pink one are a lot smaller than the white one.

My white one is about 16 feet tall, but a little thin at the top.
    Jim

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    15 years ago

Thanks for the information, Jim. Of course I had to look up the Flaming glory bower on Google. Below is one site that describes it.

Clerodendrum is a very large family with over 400 members. Cashmere bouquet is a species that will grow well in this area. It is very pretty, but I took it out it because it spreads absolutely everywhere. But with the drought my area is in I'm getting less picky and might have to take another look at it, but this time keep it in a large container.

There is just no end to the discovery of wonderful plants.

Cashmere bouquet: http://davesgarden.com/guides/pf/go/1253/

Here is a link that might be useful: Flaming Glory Bower (Clerodendrum splendens

• chickadee_42us
    15 years ago

What a show - love seeing them. I cannot imagine living with all that color! I hope you enjoy being outside.

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you Chickadee. I live mainly outside.

Roselee, I keep Cashmere bouquet in a large pot with a saucer under it! Ha! It's mighty pretty, but mighty invasive.
    Jim

• carrie751
    15 years ago

Yes, it is, Jim. I put it under the magnolia tree (where nothing else seems to want to grow), and thought since it has so much room under the tree to spread, I would not have a problem with it. WRONG!! I still have to fight it a distance away.

• juneroses Z9a Cntrl Fl
    15 years ago

Bossjim: Just wanted to thank you for the idea of growing my thunbergia battiscombei (blue clock vine) on an obelisk. I removed the trellis from my plant (which returned from the roots this spring) and replaced it with an obelisk. It displays SO much better. I'd post a picture but I'm embarrassed to show the amateur obelisk I constructed compared to the beautiful wood structures you create. Maybe when my plant is taller and covers my structure I'll post a picture. Anyway, many thanks for the inspiration.

June

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you, June. Sometimes we all, myself included, lose sight of the purpose of garden structures, and concentrate on the beauty of the structure, when if a structure works properly, it displays the beauty of the plant and can barely be seen. I've learned the hard way, that when building a garden structure, the garden is best served if I concentrate on strength and durability, Then if it looks nice, that's a bonus.

Good luck with your clock vine.
    Jim

• pepa
    15 years ago

Jim we missed you at the plant swap, and your perfectly grown plants. Every time I look at your pics I get inspired. It makes me want to run outside and start watering and weeding. How many hours do you work in your garden daily? I seem to be outside a lot and can't get caught up. Where do you buy your fertilizer? I really enjoy looking at all the pics you post. please keep posting more. Pepa

• carrie751
    15 years ago

He is a wonder, Pepa, and it keeps me inspired (and tired) just trying to come close.

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi Pepa! I really miss not going to the plant swap two springs in a row. I've had major projects going and just didn't get any plants started, so didn't go. I hope it was a good swap, I really miss not being able to visit with gardening friends. I did make the Mercer swap last fall, and hopefully will have this pathway and irrigation project finished in time to go again this fall. If you are referring to the Nelson's fertilizer, that I use on the Rangoon creeper, I get it at Houston Garden Center.

I think we need to all go together, and hire a photographer to go take pictures of Carrie's garden. I bet we would all be inspired!
    Jim

{{gwi:678720}}

• carrie751
    15 years ago

Probably not, Jim, but I do so like looking at photos of yours. However, anyone wanting to visit is welcome!!!

• Dena Walters
    15 years ago

Wowwww...
    Jim, so beautiful, the flowers that is..lol! I have 2 makeshift trellis in my only big flowerbed and have had clematis 'trying' to get to the top for bout 4 years now.. finally cut them back this year and starting all over, so I wonder if its worth it. Seeing all of your vines I may try the bleeding heart vine...but you said it doesn't bloom all summer? Any ideas on what might bloom all summer? On of my trellis's gets all the afternoon sun, the other gets some late afternoon sun. I'll have to see if I can find a picture....Im open for any suggestions!
    Im soooo impressed w/ your gardens, I sit in awe just starring!
    Suggestions! Here is a pic of last year (in there for bout 4 years?) This was May of last year.

And this year...after I cut them back...soo all I mainly have is trellis...sigh....This was April of this year 2009.

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Dena, I would think that a Bleeding Heart vine, planted in full sun, would bloom all summer. In fact, I have a pink one in full sun, and it blooms practically all year.
    There is a thread about growing clematis, right now, over in the Cottage garden forum, that might give you some ideas about how to get your clematis to do better.
    Jim

• Dena Walters
    15 years ago

Thank you Jim,
    I will take your advice and get one (bleeding heart vine)...I have read and read and read and done everything I can think of ..plus what evreyone else has suggested. Clematis just don't like me...LOL
    I can accept that..there are many things I so envy others, even in my area, they can grow and I just can't .. probably because of time and patience (I have none!)
    Bleeding heart it is...
    Dena

• FlowerLady6
    15 years ago

Hi Jim ~ I had to come over here from Cottage Gardens forum, after plantmaven (Kathy) suggested coming over here to see your gardens and structures. You grow some of the same things I do here in s.e. FL zone 10. I think I'll have to visit this forum more often. I have the red bleeding hearts, Clerodendrum x speciosum, plumbago, Thunbergia erecta. What is the pink flowering vine in your third picture? What are the plants in #6 and #7?

Thanks for visiting CG, hope to see you there posting more wonderful pictures from your TX gardens.

I'm going to look up your Climbing Pinkie rose. Thanks for the info on that.

FlowerLady

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Hi FlowerLady, I'm glad you visited our forum, and hope you'll come back often. We'll try to make you feel right at home.

The pink flowering vine in the third picture is a Rangoon creeper, Quisqualis indica, and should be very comfortable in your zone 10 garden.
    The 6th picture is Lion's tail, Leonotis menthifolia, and the 7th is one of many Joseph's Coats, an Alternanthera. I'm not sure which one, I got it at a Plant Swap.
    Jim

• lynnencfan
    15 years ago

Like Flowerlady I too came over from the Cottage Garden Forum to see your pictures - very pretty and inspirational. I think while I am here I will look at some of the other pictures. It is rainy here so I can't get out in the garden anyway so might as well live and dream in other gardeners gardens. Thanks for sharing .....

Lynne

• bossjim1
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks for the visit, Lynne. You're always welcome here.
    Jim