Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rock_oak_deer

Progress-Before and After

rock_oak_deer
13 years ago

The "Inferno Strip" or sometimes called other things.

Before - North View

After - North View

Before - South View

After - South View

Creeping Germander

Comments (12)

• red_geranium
    13 years ago

Very nice. Good choice of plants. I absolutely love the rosemary(?) flowing from the pot. Do you have any sort of irrigation? Concrete guys should just know to put in some sort of conduit under or in sidewalks and drives, shouldn't they! It would make our lives soooo much easier. But you have achieved a very clean pretty and interesting "inferno strip".

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks, the plant is Creeping Germander. Just had to have one of those pots after seeing them at a shopping center here in San Antonio.

No irrigation in the yard. It would be nice, but most of these plants do better when kept on the dry side and there is a hose nearby for getting plants started. The plants have grown quite a bit in the last few days with all the rain so I'll take another picture when the Lavender Provence blooms.

• justintx
    13 years ago

Coming along VERY nicely!! Nifty use of your "Hades" strip!

• remuda1
    13 years ago

Great job! The lavender should love it there as well as your other choices. It's amazing what a little change can do.

Kristi

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

I love the lavender, do they bloom all summer? Barbra

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi Barbra,

The lavender usually only blooms once although a few blooms pop up after the others. I have cut back the Spanish Lavender you see in the picture and the Lavender Provence, which is closer to the middle of the bed, is beginning to bloom now. The gray foliage is nice all year and works well with the other plants there. I'll post a photo when it's in full bloom. This is their first year so I expect they won't be filled out with blooms until next year.

Shirley

• bossjim1
    13 years ago

Wow, what a difference! That looks great.
    Jim

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Jim. Gardening is a different ballgame here in San Antonio. We are terracing the other side of the front yard with the rocks DH dug out of there.

• roselee z8b S.W. Texas
    13 years ago

Everything looks just PERFECT for that spot with all the rocks, oaks, and deer in your neighborhood. The turned over pot is the perfect touch! What is the green big ball shaped plant that you left there?

• fool4flowers
    13 years ago

It looks great. I love those pots!

• jolanaweb
    13 years ago

Wow, that is so pretty and the pot with the plant spilling out is a great look
    What a difference, you did a fantastic job
    jolana

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, and thanks all.

The green plant is a dwarf yaupon. It was existing and doing well, so I just trimmed it into a ball shape. We also reused the gravel. Originally the entire yard was gravel over black plastic with a few random plants plopped in.

Here's a picture of two the Lavender Provence blooming. This is the first year, so they aren't as full of blooms as they will be in future years. The Wormwood is already getting too big for the spot but it does make a good background for the Lavender.

The third Lavender plant is not happy so I'll probably replace it with a Russian Sage because they are looking good there. The Russian Sage is in the upper right just past the "tipsy pot."

You can see another inferno strip out by the mail box. It looks so good this year, I'll try to get pictures of it. Currently working on the other inferno by the garage. That's where Roselee's plants from the swap are. It's not ready for photos yet.